Miss Malarkey Won't Be in Today

Miss Malarkey Won't Be in Today

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Miss Malarkey is back (Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10) and this time SHE is the one with the over-active imagination! Stuck at home, delirious and helplessly sick, Miss Malarkey can't help but worry about which substitute Principal Wiggins has called in. Is it that ex-drill sergeant, Mr. Doberman? Or that timid push-over, Mr. Lemonjello? Her imagination starts runni...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Walker Childrens (first published 1998)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This would appeal to teachers as well as to kids, although I think teachers would relate to it more. Miss Malarkey calls out sick, but gets so worked up imagining all the bad substitute teachers her class could get that she feels she has to go in to work anyway. I liked Kevin O'Malley's illustrations and the humorous names of the various substitute teachers.
Joseph Berube
I never thought about reviewing the books that I have read to my boys until this one. I read this book at the USO on Kandahar AirField (KAF) and had it recorded on a DVD for my three younger sons (Aidan, Quintin, and Declan). I thought that since the school year had just started last week, this school teacher story was well timed. The book was a an easy read, so I am sure my second grader will have no problems reading this one on his own. It was funny and I know my seven and four year old sons w...more
Dolly
Dec 31, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful story, told from the teacher's perspective as she stays home sick from school. It has the same wild and imaginative scenes as the other stories, only it's the teacher whose imagination goes crazy. Our girls enjoyed watching the story on the Tumblebooks website. (tumblebooks.com)
Nakitah
This can be used for talking about what a teacher thinsk about and what students think about when there is a substitute teacher, about being sick and going to school, the job of a teacher, and how students should behave when there is a substitute teacher for the day.
Sheri
I wanted to do a book like this but someone beat me to the punch. I liked the story but it broke the picture book rule as it is from the Teacher point of view not the child's. They published it anyway. Read it to study the style and the story arc.
Deborah Morgan
Will be leaving this book on my desk for substitute teachers. It is so true about what many of us teachers go through when we are out of the classroom.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 59745 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.1 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Laurie
Another good cause and effect book. Hilarious.
Marie
Marie added it
Jun 26, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
Sage
Sage marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jul 12, 2013
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Kari
Kari added it
Jun 11, 2013
Kirstin Keller
Kirstin Keller marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Latifah Williams
Latifah Williams marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind Testing Miss Malarkey Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10 Congratulations, Miss Malarkey! Miss Malarkey's Field Trip