Start by marking “Heaven” as Want to Read:
Heaven

Heaven

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Following the success of their previous collaboration, Wheelers, Cohen--a biologist and consultant on science fiction alien design--and Stewart--a professor of mathematics--join forces on another highly-anticipated science fiction novel.
Published May 30th 2009 by Aspect (first published May 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven

Huw Evans
Ian Stewart is a mathematician and Jack Cohen a reproductive biologist and over the years they have had a close association with Terry Pratchett. Jack is also a xenobiologist who has advised film and television producers on the fact that life (as we know it) is not necessarily carbon based nor bipedal. This book proves the point magnificently. I am ashamed that it has taken me so long to read it. I hope this review encourages other readers not to make the same mistake.

Second Best Sailor is a mal
Bryan
Nov 28, 2009 Bryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks, sf
I've never read a book with such incredible diversity of alien life!

I've always struggled with TV SF (such as Star Trek) where all aliens are basically humanoid. In the past, I found the best work on aliens was done by author James White (particularly in his Sector General series of books).

But this book raises the bar on developing alien lifeforms in SF. The biodiversity (including varieties that are comprised of not much more than energy) and their basis for sentience (including several whose
Bookbrow
In the tradition of Robert Forward, two scientists team up to write this novel, and it's a fun ride with wonderful invention and a host of great aliens, the story reminds me of classic Vernor Vinge in its wonder and scope. It makes you wish they wrote more novels.
Saara
The dissemination fleet of the Church of Cosmic Unity is fast approaching the aquaseous planet of No-Moon where the primary sentient lifeform is a race of polypoids. They have come to spread the message of love, tolerance and peace. A good, commendable mission, right?

Wrong.

During the course of a bit over 400 pages we discover just how twisted the Memeplex has become and are treated to scenes of an all-out war on more than one front. We are introduced to characters that can be reprehensible but i
Andrew
I know the authors only as Pratchett's collaborators on the _Science of Discworld_ series. (The only _Science of..._ book concept that's worth reading.) (Hm, and Ian Stewart did _Flatterland_, one of the many _Flatland_ riffs that isn't.)

This is SF-realist high-tech space opera, of the type that Greg Egan and Iain M. Banks write -- which is obviously a wide range of writing. This example tilts heavily towards the Egan side, although the long technical digressions aren't *quite* as opaque and the
Jesse Mathewson
Wonderful-

I would recommend this book as a perfect approach to understanding the interwoven nature of the world, universe, galaxies and more. Everything is alive, everything. A truly great look at the idea of memplexes and the progression from positive to negative that all belief systems unfortunately tend to take, including government/state.
Josh
Alternative life forms abound and the story (humanoids imposing religious dogma on aliens, replete with new technologies, hints of supreme beings, end the emotional tie ins necessary to keep you engrossed) gets tied up nicely in the end.
Fern
Fern is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Michael Guendogan
Michael Guendogan marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Owen
Owen marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jordan Debben
Jordan Debben marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Jesi O
Jesi O added it
Apr 05, 2014
Dan S
Dan S marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ian Stewart is an Emeritus Professor and Digital Media Fellow in the Mathematics Department at Warwick University, with special responsibility for public awareness of mathematics and science. He is best known for his popular science writing on mathematical themes.
--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors wit
More about Ian Stewart...
Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos Letters to a Young Mathematician In Pursuit of the Unknown: 17 Equations That Changed the World Why Beauty Is Truth: A History of Symmetry