Start by marking “Favorite Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow” as Want to Read:
Favorite Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Favorite Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882) was the most popular American poet of his time, and on of the most famous American poets of all time. It has been said that certain of his poems - the long narratives Evangeline and The Song of Hiawatha most notably--were once read in every literate home in America.
Published 1947 by Doubleday & Company, Inc. (first published 1871)

Douglas Wilson
Jan 31, 2016 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Enjoyed very much. Particularly like running across well-worn phrases that I presume originated with Longfellow -- ships passing in the night, patter of little feet, into each life some rain must fall. I particularly enjoyed Miles Standish, which I somehow don't think I have ever read before.
Jan 03, 2008 K.D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom first gave me this back in college when I was totally stressed about finals. I was actually really turned off from poetry in high school; if the poems they teach don't kill you, the student's interpretations will. Somehow I always end up re-reading this every couple of months. My favorite poem in here is, "The Light of Stars"...

"Oh, fear not in a world like this,
And thou shall know erelong,
Know how sublime a thing it is
To suffer and be strong."

Feb 17, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
Then read from the treasured volume
The poem of thy choice,
And lend to the rhyme of the poet
The beauty of thy voice.

And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares, that infest the day,
Shall fold their tents, like the Arabs,
And as silently steal away.
Mar 17, 2013 Dolors rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brief but complete compilation of poems to get to know Longfellow.
I loved "The courtship of Miles Standish" and his nostalgic recollections of lost times and youth. Very sensitive and solemn, good to be aware of the earth beneath your feet.
Jun 05, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Longfellow is quite a clever fellow (his last name is enviable). He uses a variety of forms of poetry; 'Paul Revere', as what he's known for, is excellent.

I read lots of his poems alongside Dickinson; it was an interesting contrast between a man's perspective on life and poetry and a woman's. I'm a girl, so I leaned toward Emily's, but Longfellow's got a few profound thoughts that keep you captive a moment to reread the sentence in amazement to get it all again.

This is going to sound dreadfull
Margaret Harris
Aug 25, 2016 Margaret Harris rated it it was amazing
I was surprised at how much I loved this book, which was inherited from an aunt several years ago and had been patiently resting on my To-Be-Read shelf. How sad that school children are no longer required to read, and sometimes memorize, Longfellow's works. "Paul Revere's Ride" is not just literature in a happy rhythm, it is history with an emotional poignancy. This collection intersperses short verses with the most well-known longer story poems such as "The Song of Hiawatha" and "The Courtship ...more
J. Alfred
May 05, 2010 J. Alfred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Longfellow is one of those guys that I'd heard about for years, but never actually encountered. It turns out he's sort of a bizarro Housman: everything rhymes and is Romantic, but also wholesome and wonderful. Kudos on making the Puritans good guys!
Good stuff all around.
Aug 30, 2012 Chava rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Dreadful. But so rhymey! I know, he must be viewed within his context, and it is true enough that he's fun to read. He's the anti-haiku poet. Longfellow was once a child's first exposure to poetry; perhaps not the best idea. At least he did not write 'Curfew Shall Not Ring Tonight.'
James Violand
Jul 01, 2014 James Violand rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
He may be dated in the age of free verse, but his talent is clear. A truly American poet (he seems little affected by any European influence) he should be known for more than Hiawatha. Enjoyable and tending to praise our heritage. I like it.
Sep 12, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, short collection of some of his best works. It does not include some of his longer narratives but it does include "Paul Revere's Ride," as well as two that became my favorites of this collection - "Hymn to the Night" and "The Rainy Day."
Greg Olsen
"The Song of Hiawatha" was the only poem I found myself drawn to. However, after reading this long anthology, I have concluded that poems might mean more to me if read individually with time to ponder prior to moving on to the next.
Babs Brodie
Mar 06, 2013 Babs Brodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed his poems when i was in grade schools. i used to read this book when i went to visit my aunt. i read it many times but enjoyed poe more.
Sep 01, 2015 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful collection of his Poems.My book is from the very early 1900's Hard cover.I just love this book and his work
Aug 19, 2015 Jed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Longfellow and his wonderful works. I have read all his poetry and so forth, this is a nice little compilation of some of his popular works. Great read!
Tianna rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2008
Smekenny rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Liz rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2011
Sandra Robert
Sandra Robert rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
Sandi rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Steve rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2014
Dee Dee
Dee Dee rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Tim rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2008
John M
John M rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Alex Kartelias
Alex Kartelias rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
James Hiatt
James Hiatt rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Debra Byrd
Debra Byrd rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Wren rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Jwatkins rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2010
  • The Top 500 Poems
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • Aurora Leigh and Other Poems
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 2: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Postwar to Millennium
  • Some Trees
  • A Working Girl Can't Win
  • Writing Poems
  • Songs of Innocence
  • Selected Poems
  • The Works of Anne Bradstreet (John Harvard Library)
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • Present Concerns
  • Essay on Man and Other Poems
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...

“In character, in manner, in style, in all the things, the supreme excellence is simplicity” 175 likes
“Ah, how skilful grows the hand That obeyeth Love’s command! It is the heart, and not the brain, That to the highest doth attain, And he who followeth Love’s behest Far excelleth all the rest!” 3 likes