Start by marking “Someone Special, Just Like You” as Want to Read:
Someone Special, Just Like You

Someone Special, Just Like You

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Brown and Ortiz show that the differences that seem to separate children with handicaps from others are not important. What is important is the common delight in life--a desire to love, learn and play, and to be accepted for themselves as other children are.
Published September 15th 1995 by Square Fish (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Special, Just Like You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Special, Just Like You

This book sets out to turn negative opinions about people with special needs around. Just because someone has hearing aids or leg braces doesn't mean he doesn't love to blow bubbles or give hugs. We are all different but the same, too!
Davin Thompson-williams
Pretty good book. It accurately describes us as humans. None of us are truly the same but we are not so different at all. Even those who have obvious differences can do many of the same things we do.
Brian Breese
Apr 30, 2013 Brian Breese added it
Shelves: edre-4870
What?: This books sets out to dispel the fears people have regarding individuals with disabilities. It demonstrates that all people have the same desires for love, acceptance, and friendship.

So What?: Children will learn that we share more things in common with children with disabilities than not. Our differences should not deter us from getting to know one another, but become a point of getting to know someone better.

Now What?: I would use this book to introduce how to get to know someone who l
Kendall Kraiss
This book was a tear jerker for me. I think that the story is great! The real life pictures were very important to the story in my opinion. By seeing that REAL children have disabilities (not cartoons) it makes it more real to the children. I think that this book could be read to ANY grade level. We forget that these children (and adults) are just like US. It is a good book to expose children to different disabilities that affect people everyday. Great book! Very touching!
This is a decent non-fiction picture book to read with young children in kindergarten. I would read this story to a classroom that has students both with and without disabilities. The information shared with readers allows young children to realize kids with physical disabilities do not have limits and can dance, smile, and play like all children. The one thing that bothered me was the text in this book did not have anything about what a disability is.
Kathleen Heroux
This edition was copyrighted in 1984. mMy rating of three stars is reflective of the photographs which are in black and white and slightly dated. the premis of the book is that all children are the same despite observable differences. A good theme, but I wonder if this books presentation does more to highlight differences than to include them as a variation of "normal."
Mouse Denehy
This book is a little dated. That being said, the photography is great. Compared to all the other illustrated books I've reviewed, I feel this book stands out for the informative and clear words and showing real children doing real things.
Ahmad Worthy
I like this book because it demonstrates to the children that everyone is special in their own unique way. The book is very informative and inspirational. The pictures in the book are also draw to scale.
Buxmont Uu
WAMWAO Session 25
Kayla added it
Aug 28, 2015
Bailee Kent
Bailee Kent marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Melanie Castillo
Melanie Castillo marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
BGCC marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Aryehl marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Tracie added it
Feb 13, 2015
Beth Herdering
Beth Herdering marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Holly marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Nicole Greenberg
Nicole Greenberg marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Cyndi added it
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
City by the Bay: A Magical Journey Around San Francisco Salaam: A Muslim American Boy's Story Chinese New Year Hello, Amigos! Konnichiwa!: I Am a Japanese-American Girl