Start by marking “Interventions (Open Media)” as Want to Read:
Interventions (Open Media)

Interventions (Open Media)

Noam Chomsky says that the freedom to challenge power is not just an opportunity, it’s a responsibility. For the past several years Chomsky has been writing essays for The New York Times Syndicate to do just that: challenge power and expose the global consequences of U.S. policy and military actions worldwide. Interventions is a collection of these essays, revised and upda ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by City Lights Publishers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Interventions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interventions

Michael Soskil
Oct 13, 2008 Michael Soskil rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Recent US history fans, Dems, Right wingers wanting to understand the opposing point of view
This collection of essays by Chomsky gives evidence that the motives of the Bush administration in regard to foreign policy matters were less then scrupulous and motivated by a desire for United States military domination of the world. While the views given are not at all objective (Chomsky's views couldn't be any more to the left), he does make good points about the failings of our current political system, the ease with which the President can gain popular support for international policy by l ...more
sean
Aug 21, 2007 sean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the french
HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
عاطف عثمان
Nov 24, 2010 عاطف عثمان rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arabic, 2010-reads
تشومسكي إنسان جدير بالاحترام، مشغول بالهم الإنساني العام، قسم الله له حظا من النزاهة يحسد عليها.

الكتاب مقالات (قرابة 50 مقالة) تدور نسبة كبيرة منها حول غزو العراق والباقي متعلق بفلسطين واسرائيل. قد يُعرض البعض عن قراءة الكتاب الآن اعتقادًا بأن هذه المقالات - المكتوبة منذ 2002 حتى 2007 - فقدت قيمتها بمرور الوقت وتغير الإدارة الأمريكية، لكن الواقع أن قراءة السياسة الخارجية الأمريكية (منذ ما بعد الحرب) غير مرهون بتغير الإدارات على ما أرى.
Abdulslam
Jan 23, 2015 Abdulslam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
يبقى رأي تشومسكي مثري حتى لو كان كثير من المواضيع انتهى ودفن، لأن ماعلمنا إياه التاريخ بأن الحكومات الإمبريالية تكرر رعونتها دائماً.
Simon Wood
Sep 03, 2013 Simon Wood rated it it was amazing
FUN SIZE CHOMSKY

"Interventions" is an accessible and readable collection of op-ed articles Chomsky wrote between November 2002 and February 2008. Focussed, as ever, on the foreign policy of the United States they cover a wide range of countries and issues, from Nuclear Proliferation, Iran, Somalia, Palestine. Unsurprisingly the main focus of the articles is Iraq.

The articles are 1000 words roughly and were available for publication though apparently the New York Times, Washington Post, Boston G
Robb
Dec 31, 2007 Robb rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Ah Chom...

Telling it like it is, sadly to almost nobody.

Fight on, warrior. Fight on.
Sam Ruddick
May 16, 2016 Sam Ruddick rated it really liked it
This book is obviously very polemic, but that's not a problem in itself, because it ain't like he lied, in spite of what some third rate conservative pundits claim. They shout about him being anti-American or lying about this or that, but there own research is so poor and their claims are so specious that if you're at all serious about the world you have to just dismiss them, because Chomsky's claims are all very well documented. The research is solid. It's all substantiated. It all checks out. ...more
Dale
Jun 04, 2008 Dale rated it really liked it
Interventions is a set of editorials written by Noam Chomsky for the New York Times syndication service. The editorials were not actually published in the Times, of course, nor were they published in US newspapers, with rare exceptions. They were, however, picked up by the international press. This is unsurprising: Chomsky talks about a reality that the US corporate media strives very hard to ignore or misrepresent. He has been consistently right about the reasons and results of the war in Iraq, ...more
Paul
Feb 22, 2017 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
More thick and dense prose where Chomsky seems to be writing to himself. Or a roomful of poli-sci post-grads. He assumes so much knowlege on part of the reader that it will make your head buzz after about 30 minutes of reading. So that's how I broke it up and finished!
Mihai Popescu
Jan 15, 2017 Mihai Popescu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reușit să prevadă mișcările jihadiste care o să apară din cauza războaielor duse de americani în Irak și că Irakul va fi rupt în două de un război civil când se retrag trupele SUA de acolo, dar nu a reușit să facă legătura dintre cele două situații. Pentru că ideologia tinde să orbească rațiunea.
Sambasivan
Dec 29, 2016 Sambasivan rated it really liked it
Incisive essays that are scholarly and informative. The scathing pen of Chomsky spares none. Essential reading.
Ashwin
Jul 02, 2015 Ashwin rated it it was amazing
This is a compilation of op-eds by Noam Chomsky written for The New York Times Syndicate. And here's the irony -- supposedly the views in these op-eds are such that US papers (including NYTimes itself) have declined to publish them. However, they've been published widely in Guardian and other non-US newspapers. The 44 op-eds in the book run from 2002 through 2006. Reading them I couldn't even figure out why they weren't printed in the US. They didn't seem offending or much different from his usu ...more
Colin Chamberlin
Apr 22, 2015 Colin Chamberlin rated it it was amazing
I knew I had to read this book when I first saw it at the library I knew I had to read it. I love Noam Chomsky but I've never read any of his books so I jumped at the chance. Interventions is a series of pieces almost solely focusing on Iraq and was written in 2003-2006.

In most of the book Chomsky deals into US imperialism and how hypocritical Washington is on 'democracy promotion' worldwide. Noam Chomsky delves to deep into this that he predicts ISIS by almost ten years! Chomsky has an emphasis
Eric Gulliver
This is a collection of around forty-five 1000 word essays that are part of Chomsky's New York Times Syndicate writings. As always, the essays are usually printed outside of the United States, but rarely featured domestically. It is a quick read, and despite the fact that Chomsky does well in synthesizing information, these essays do not lend themsevles to comprehensive analysis or detailed footnotes (that which Chomsky is know for). However, these essays are extremely timely (with the most rece ...more
Eric Piotrowski
Jul 29, 2007 Eric Piotrowski rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, nonfiction
How odd to get Chomsky in bite-sized chunks. These were written for the NYT Syndicate (though none have been printed in the NYT), so they're all 2-3 pages. He clearly has a bit of trouble making it concise enough, and the desert-dry sarcasm that I love so much doesn't show up much. But it's still packed with important info and perspective, so it's certainly worth a read. Finally -- a Chomsky book you can keep in the bathroom!
Kaspars Purmalietis
My first encounter with Chomsky. These short essays written mainly focuses on the absurdities of the Iraq war.
It seems like everyone nowadays are screaming in the media and there are a lot of noise, but not actually much content and data that backs it up. Noam speaks quietly, but it all adds up.
The best part about these essays were that they were written from 2003 till 2007 and it's possible to follow what Noam has written and how that proves to be true later.
Rakesh
Aug 09, 2011 Rakesh rated it really liked it
Very insightful. Author prattles on slightly too much about Iraq. I do however believe it to be a good overview of a variety of issues. Essays are short and largely to the point. There are also a good deal of references. From this collection of essays, interested readers can then move onto others of his works which delve further into the topics covered here.

3.75 stars: Lost points on excessive focus on Iraq, but I admire what he is trying to do in all.
Doug
Mar 08, 2009 Doug rated it really liked it
Nothing earth-shaking if you are familiar with Chomsky's other work. Lots of insights into events of the time period covered by these essays, again typical of Chomsky. Very worthwhile reading if you want to have a broader view of world events than what is portrayed in the US news. I've read a few of his other books, which I also highly recommend. Manufacturing Consent, Hegemony or Survival, Profit vs. People.
Daniel
Jul 19, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
It's a collection of essays Chomsky writes from 2000-2007. You basically are able to follow a timeline month by month through the years of some of the largest stories. Interesting concept and my first time reading something like that. Definitely helps to unravel the ever evolving rhetoric throughout the years.
Naveed Qazi
Oct 06, 2015 Naveed Qazi rated it it was amazing
In this book, Chomsky's perspectives are mainly prompted towards the Bush fiasco and the Iraq War. The foreign policy strategy drives American politics, mainly for the Republicans and the author is very bold in acknowledging that. And he has quoted numerous passages from the articles of secondary authors to give an insight to the reader.
Jason
Jan 31, 2010 Jason rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Left-siders
I heard this guy's name bandied about in nearly all areas of global policy, war, human rights, etc. so I figured I'd give him a chance. A little too liberal for my tastes, but decently written. I don't know that I will be trying to digest him in such a large dose again.
Matt Roberts
Nov 06, 2014 Matt Roberts rated it it was amazing
In this collection of essays, Chomsky again gives his intelligent opinion on topis ranging including the US invasion of Iraq, US imperialism, the 2004 presidential election, and the Palestine and Israel conflicts. Chomsky's mental acuity and sharpness are shown through his essays.
Raya
Jul 30, 2016 Raya rated it liked it
I see why these essays were called interventions. Chomsky's sharp style gives a poke to the American political system. Reading them all together made his argument seem repetitive. Still, an interesting perspective on the actual state of the American democracy.
Daniel
Mar 03, 2009 Daniel rated it liked it
Chomsky as usual is on point, but I want to hope that with the Neocon administration out of power that many of his arguments in this book are obsolete or perfectly applicable to the next administration. But I'm probably wrong.
robert
Apr 04, 2011 robert rated it liked it
This is a collection of brillant and concise (easy to read!) Op-Eds written by Prof. Chomsky during Bush 2 for the New York Times syndicate (none of which the NYT paper accepted for their own Op Ed section for publication). Way recommended!
James
Aug 07, 2011 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chomsky at his most accessible in a series of short essays published in various newspapers in the USA. Excellent toilet reading, really gets the bowels moving :-)
Kyoungjin Lim
Jul 09, 2011 Kyoungjin Lim rated it it was amazing
Chomsky's editorials on "inconvient truth" to New York Times syndcate. Too inconvients and too truthful to be printed on any Americal maintream newspaper. (None of them was appreared on the NYT)
Stan
Collection of Chomsky Op-Eds. Probably better to pick up one of his more substantial books or even listen to an interview, but this is readable enough.
Nicole
Aug 10, 2009 Nicole marked it as to-read
I have read a bit of this book - I tend to pick it up and put it down. I think I bought it because Noam has such a cute face and I like his name.
David Martin
David Martin rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2014
  • Women of the Revolution: Forty Years of Feminism
  • Guardians of Power: The Myth of the Liberal Media
  • Humanitarian Imperialism: Using Human Rights to Sell War
  • The American Way of War: Guided Missiles, Misguided Men, and a Republic in Peril
  • More Powerful Than Dynamite: Radicals, Plutocrats, Progressives, and New York's Year of Anarchy
  • On Liberty
  • Fields, Factories and Workshops Tomorrow
  • In Praise of Barbarians: Essays against Empire
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • A History of the Cuban Revolution
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • Democracy for the Few
  • Terrorism and War
  • On Anarchism
  • Freedom Next Time: Resisting the Empire
  • The Second Bill of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution--And Why We Need It More Than Ever
  • The Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
  • The Sexual Paradox: Extreme Men, Gifted Women and the Real Gender Gap
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...

“من أوضح دروس التاريخ ... أن الحقوق لا تُمنح بل تُكتسب. ________ مداخلات” 29 likes