Start by marking “Deep Down” as Want to Read:
Deep Down

Deep Down

Published May 19th 2009 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Deep Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Down

Sheri
Nov 16, 2010 Sheri rated it liked it
Deep Down (Karen Harper)
Romantic/Suspense.

Jessie Lockwood is in China on business when she gets a call that her mother Mariah is missing. She comes home to a small Appalachian town in Kentucky called Deep Down. There she teems up with an old Love Drew, who is now the local police. Not only does she come home to her missing mother, she also comes home to old inner demons she must face.

Likable characters , but a bit slower than I am used to (for a suspense novel). I also figured it out about half
Wendy
Apr 19, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
You know what really urks me ... when proof readers cannot do their jobs. This book has so many mistakes. I've notice the same about many MIRA books. They really need new proof readers. It makes these books very unenjoyable.
Kim
Dec 16, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim by: Margaret Wagoner
was very good and was interesting
Linda C
Jessie Lockwood, cancer researcher, is called home to eastern Kentucky when her mother goes missing. Her former lover, Drew is now Sheriff and he needs her help finding the ginseng patches her mother might have been counting in the forest, in hopes they will lead to finding her. As they work together in the search and the subsequent investigation they uncover a group of suspects that would like to keep Mariah Lockwood's count unpublished. The book had a lot on the uses, scarcity and value of wil ...more
Kendra /Books Complete Me
Unlike the other books, I have read by Karen Harper, I had a hard time getting through this one. The background was interesting: Appalachia, ginseng, etc, but the story itself didn't grab me in.
Crystal Karre
Mar 10, 2017 Crystal Karre rated it really liked it
A very good story filled with character and mystery right up to the end
Kathy Ryan
May 16, 2017 Kathy Ryan rated it liked it
Ginseng intrigue meets high school sweethearts in Kentucky. Who knew that ginseng was a thing worth killing for in Kentucky?
Debfiddle
Dec 20, 2016 Debfiddle rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
As a child, Jessie Lockwood spent many hours helping her mother, Mariah, count the endangered ginseng plants hidden in the local woods of Deep Down, Kentucky. There she learned to appreciate the tiny Appalachian townand ginseng's healing powers. Now a PhD, she's made her home in Lexington, even though that meant leaving Deep Down and her beloved motherand Sheriff Drew Webb, the man she secretly loved.
When Jessie is notified that her mother never returned from her last walk in the woods, she com
Lindig
Jul 16, 2009 Lindig rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Not too bad, overall. The most unrealistic part of the book is the romantic relationship between the sheriff and the scientist (hero and heroine). Set in the Kentucky hills and centering on "sang" (ginseng), the author maintains a non-condescending tone when discussing "hillbillies" (I'm from western NC so I'm always alert for snobbery).

Even though I found the story interesting in its details, I never felt any visceral thrill or fear. The villain was given short shrift in explaining his motives
Deb
Aug 09, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it
This was an good mystery/romance set in rural Kentucky. Jessie Lockwood, born and raised in Deep Down, KY returns home from a scientific conference in Hong Kong when her mother is reported missing. Mariah Lockwood counts ginseng (or "sang") for the government, and several people are pressuring her to pad her counts so as not to limit the ginseng harvest. The sheriff in charge of the search for Mariah is Jessie's secret love, and as the two search for her mother their relationship is rekindled.
I
Lisa
May 14, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
I was interested in this book having lived in the Appalachian mountains in Southwest Virginia, then moving to the Lexington KY area near where the main character spends part of her early life. I was afraid the back woods, Appalachian stereotypes would prevail throughout the book. For the most part I was satisfied, however, the author makes it seem like those who never "escape" are bound to end up uneducated, and hick-like as the character Cassie is shown. The main character Jessica is instead ta ...more
Brittany
Jul 07, 2010 Brittany rated it it was ok
It slowly got better the further you read into it. I still don't like the way she tried to portray Kentucky. Granted I haven't ever been to the mountains, I'm pretty sure not every person in ever town there is ignorant on every subject matter and talk like they are two. But hey! That's just me. So the book was ok but I don't recommend it.
Book Reader Fairy
Feb 23, 2010 Book Reader Fairy rated it liked it
There was some suspense that I really liked about this book. I was dissapointed in the amount of romance and I thought Karen could have spent a little more time on the charactors. Please read more of my review on http://www.romanceinthebackseat.com/r...
Darla Stokes
Jan 31, 2013 Darla Stokes rated it liked it
While the suspense plot wasn't bad, and the portrayal of the Appalachians was less stereotypical than I'd feared, the main romance plot was weak. The secondary romance would have been more interesting, if it had been the focus.
Mary
Oct 19, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
this book captured me right from the start...characters so believable I was able to be a part of the story...way more twists and turns than some of her novels...could not put this one down! have already ordered another set of her books!
NV
Jan 04, 2015 NV rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK

Ok story that really never caught my attention. I did read it all in bits and pieces but was not really engaged.
Ron Stokes
Good book, although the ending and killer were predictable, it kept you guessing as to how the details would unfold. The intertwind love story was a bit sappy.
Sally
Sep 06, 2011 Sally rated it liked it
pretty good about a 3.5 rating.
Dasreads
Jun 08, 2013 Dasreads marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-mail
ilona
Feb 10, 2012 ilona rated it liked it
Daughter returns to Appalachia to search for missing mother. New sherriff happens to be her first love. Interesting characters.
Ariel
Dec 22, 2009 Ariel rated it liked it
This was actually a cute little book , it surprised me . I liked it pretty well . (:
Dawn
May 13, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly enough, there was a story on TV about Appalachia and it mentions the ginseng trade. Interesting reading.
Ruth
Jun 17, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012

I found this book almost boring....it was just nor well written and fast moving enough for me.
Kim
Nov 08, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Very good and interesting book
Colleen
Jul 07, 2010 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, fiction
I enjoyed this book and it kept me guessing until the end. As noted in a earlier review of another book by Karen Harper called "The Falls" I found these two books somewhat similar, though enjoyable.
Louisa
Dec 18, 2011 Louisa rated it liked it
OK book, didn't like the dialogue, too stiff and formal for my tastes, like vehicle instead of car. Good mystery though.
Cheryl Karkoff
Oct 02, 2009 Cheryl Karkoff rated it liked it
A pretty good story. A girl comes home to the town Deep Down after her mother goes missing. Her mother was a ginsing counter. Never knew it was worth so much money.
Bobbie Brown
Dec 30, 2014 Bobbie Brown rated it it was amazing
great book kept me on the edge of my seat
Marianne V
Jun 29, 2009 Marianne V rated it liked it
Mystery dealing with ginseng harvesting in Kentucky and the worldwide ginseng trade.
Beverly
Aug 30, 2009 Beverly rated it really liked it
I met Karen Harper a few years ago, so I always read her new books. She used to teach English at OSU. Her books are formula driven, but this one was better than most.
  • Find Me
  • Out of Mind (Court of Angels, #2)
  • Sleeping With the Agent (Crossfire, #3)
  • The Puppet Master
  • She Loves Me Not
  • Tall, Dark, and Deadly
  • Kidnap & Ransom (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #4)
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)
  • Dark Deeds (Mindhunters, #4)
  • Nowhere to Hide
  • The Good Liar
  • Love, Lies and a Double Shot of Deception
  • In the Midnight Rain
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane, #2)
  • Dying Scream
  • The Warrior
  • Unstoppable: Love with the Proper Stranger\Letters to Kelly
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...