Start by marking “Fantastic Alice” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Alice

Fantastic Alice

Today's masters of modern fantasy pay tribute to Alice in Wonderland and its inspired creator, Lewis Carroll, in this all-new anthology.
Published June 1st 1999 by Ace (first published December 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Alice

Justin Ulmer
I am a big fan of the Alice in Wonderland universe, as are countless others, no doubt, for many different reasons. These differences are probably why I found few of the stories in this collection very enjoyable. They weren't badly written, just not written for me. Some people focused on the queen, some on Alice, some on death, and even some still on the poems of Wonderland, but none of them actually focused on Wonderland which is what I find the most interesting about the Alice stories.

In one of
Chronographia
Quite honestly, no. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland et al do not need to be revisited. By anyone. Ever again. Not by video game makers, not by Tim Burton, not by writers and editors of anthologies.

Bookshelf Cull 2013: know what you have and why you have it.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 14, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of stories which are various takeoffs on Alice in Wonderland. 291 pages, no illustrations.
Something to Grin About by Lawrence Watt-Evans. A woman in an abusive relationship suddenly has the Cheshire Cat delivered to her door, sent from her elderly grandmother in England. It's a really funny story about Melody (the woman) attempting to come to terms with a talking cat. Very good.
The Rabbit Within by Gary A. Braunbeck. A man and his son live in a cabin, the man still mourning the d
Catherine Siemann
Mar 13, 2012 Catherine Siemann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm interested in versions and retellings of Alice, but these stories were among the least interesting I've come across to date. The authors caught little of the wit or spirit of Carroll's work, nor did they play with the ideas with any particular inventiveness. Two that I did like were Jane M. Lindskold's "Teapot," told from the Dormouse's point of view, and Peter Crowther's "Conundrums to Guess," which shows real imagination and, although it at first seems to subscribe to the cliches of the Ca ...more
Diane
Apr 03, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite short story anthologies. It has its weak stories, mind, but then what anthology doesn't? And stories like "Hollywood Squares" are more than compensated by the others. "The Rabbit Within" draws tears just about every time I read it, and "A Common Night" comes close. "Something to Grin About" always does, in fact, make me grin. "Cocoons"

The stories are diverse in both writing style and content, ranging from more traditionally Alice-type stories ("Who Killed Humpty Dumpt
Janice (Janicu)
Jun 24, 2008 Janice (Janicu) rated it it was ok
Collection of short stories inspired by the Alice books. Each of these stories were so different from one another, its hard to categorize them. There is a sci-fi take on Wonderland existing between two portals as you travel between them, a horror story about a murderess queen of hearts who is married to a spider, a few humorous stories about other people encountering Wonderland residents, a story of a quest by the Black Knight's successor and many more. An enjoyable read, especially for those wh ...more
Michael Melilli
Fantastic Alice is a great concept but, like many short story collections, it falls short of its own potential. Most of the stories are only so/so with a few exceptional stand outs. Perhaps it would have helped the various authors if someone had reminded them that the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter are not the only interesting denizens of Wonderland.
Jeannie
Jan 02, 2016 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every story in this anthology takes the traditional Alice characters and places them in contemporary events. I found my copy in a stack of used books at my local indie bookstore. If you're an Alice fanatic like me, you'll want to find your own copy, too.
Elizabeth
Jul 06, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Alice in Wonderland
A pretty typical book of short stories. There were some great ones, one made me cry on the bus, and some so-so ones. Over all a good read, but I wouldn't bother buying it.
Ariane
Apr 19, 2009 Ariane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories written in the style and with the characters of Alice in Wonderland. It inspired me to write my own submission, although I never sent it in.
Kathy
Oct 02, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An eclectic collection of short stories. I had mixed feeling about some of the interpretations, but it was interesting to see different takes on familiar characters.
Meg
Mar 28, 2010 Meg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A horribly disappointing book made even more frustrating because it is an anthology of stories about Wonderland. I recommend putting it down slowly and backing away.
Liesha
Aug 29, 2010 Liesha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. I loved that all the stories were very different from one another and all very interesting.
Steven Leatherwood
There were only like two decent stories. overall I was pretty disappointed.
ben holum
Mar 11, 2008 ben holum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alice fanatics.
Shelves: alice, fiction
This is an excellent collection of short Alice stories from a variety of authors/styles. Some are good, some are great.
Sandra
May 31, 2009 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only read this once but i do remember loving it so much. I will reread it and post a proper review then.
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2009
Casey
Casey rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Sambev
Sambev rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2012
Solcofn
Solcofn rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2008
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Ruby Hollyberry
Ruby Hollyberry rated it liked it
May 04, 2010
Brooke Shurtz
Brooke Shurtz rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2014
Becky Robison
Becky Robison rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Anne Raquel
Anne Raquel rated it did not like it
Sep 24, 2011
Antheras
Antheras rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2007
Elvina Hanson
Elvina Hanson rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2011
Paul W.
Paul W. rated it liked it
May 20, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland
  • (Re)Visions: Alice
  • Lewis Carroll in Numberland: His Fantastical Mathematical Logical Life
  • In the Shadow of the Dreamchild: The Myth and Reality of Lewis Carroll
  • Alice Through the Needle's Eye: A Third Adventure for Lewis Carroll's Alice
  • Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast
  • The Mystery of Lewis Carroll: Discovering the Whimsical, Thoughtful, and Sometimes Lonely Man Who Created "Alice in Wonderland"
  • All Things Alice: The Wit, Wisdom,and Wonderland of Lewis Carroll
  • Dreaming in Pictures: The Photography
  • We See a Different Frontier: A Postcolonial Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Dragon Fantastic
  • Wizard Fantastic
  • Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
  • Stardust: The Visual Companion (Hardcover Edition)
  • Mermaids and Other Mysteries of the Deep
  • Wonderland
  • Inventing Wonderland: the Lives and Fantasies of Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, J.M. Barrie, Kenneth Grahame and A.A. Milne
  • Immortal Unicorn
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...