Start by marking “Affirming the Apostles’ Creed” as Want to Read:
Affirming the Apostles’ Creed

Affirming the Apostles’ Creed

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Apostles’ Creed is the oldest, most beautiful succinct summary of Christian beliefs. Though often recited in unison during worship services, the creed begins with the phrase "I believe," making it a deeply personal profession of faith. But when was the last time you examined it closely?

In Affirming the Apostles’ Creed, an excerpt from Growing in Christ, noted Bible sch
Published June 9th 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Affirming the Apostles’ Creed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Affirming the Apostles’ Creed

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Short, quite objective, well written. It is not a full exposition such as Olevianus’ or Witsius’ (which are also available for free in English translations from the Latin and Dutch originals in and Google Books, for reading in tablets), but still a good foretaste to further studies. Also some good bibliographical tips.

I wish he could have developed better such important points as the ‘communion of saints’, which barely gets a paragraph.

A note on a general tendence on Christian litera
Great exploration of the gospel as found in the Apostles' Creed. Pakcer's goal is to bring us past simplistic "ABC" presentations of the gospel to one that includes realities like the Father's creative work, the believer's relationship to the church, and the work of the Holy Spirit, to name a few. Short, easily digestible chapters. The book had a great Introduction added (it was published originally as part of another book "Growing in Christ", also "I Want to Be a Christian", which included part ...more
It was free on Kindle so I downloaded it -- it was much better than I thought and very inspiring. The book basically takes the Apostle's creed and discusses each of the affirmations of the creed. I really enjoyed reading it, and it is formatted to support a study group -- which would be a nice group to hold. They had a description of free will that I particularly liked the perspective on.
I read the version contained in "Growing in Christ." We used it as a Wednesday Night study and found it very fruitful for discussion. Packer focuses on details and implications we might otherwise overlook. It's a good resource to get folks thinking about what they're reciting on a given Sunday.
Glenn Crouch
A good little book covering the Apostles' Creed in a devotional way.

I found that doing a chapter a day as part of my devotional time to be quite rewarding.

I have always enjoyed reading Packer, and even when I don't fully agree with him, I appreciate his wisdom and insight.
A great little book which is very easy to read. It is good for small groups. It is packed full of insights into the value of this creed. The book unpacks each of the key elements if the affirmation. Who better to do this than JI Packer.
Very accessible. I taught an adult Sunday course on the Apostles' Creed at my church, using this book as our main text.
In this short work, Packer offers a series of short teachings based on eighteen phrases found in the Apostles' Creed - a fifth century summary of Christian belief. The teachings are rather elementary, but useful. In all, I found Packer's introduction to the creed more helpful than his actual teaching on the actual text. C
Jeff Stiles
We recite the Apostle's Creed at our church and that's new to me. I wanted to learn more about it. Affirming the Apostle's Creed is a devotional look at the creed. I was looking for more of a historical look at it, but this is a very good book with good insights and applications. It would be a good book to read again.
This is a solid book that shows the need for the depth of the apostles' creed in the modern Christian's understanding of the gospel. It is not earth shattering and sometimes a little periodic, but overall this is a great book to help people understand and articulate their faith.
Gavin Breeden
This was actually my second time through this book. (First time back in 2010?) I've used it twice now as a resource while teaching through the Apostles' Creed. It's very brief but helpful. The first place I'd point someone looking for a guide through the Creed.
Helpful reflection on the Apostles' Creed. We say it daily in Morning and Evening Prayer, but sometimes we don't realize how much of the faith is covered in those few words.
Chris Comis
Packer does a great job of introducing the Apostles' Creed. He takes kind of a devotional approach to the creed. Not a lot of depth, but still worth pursuing.
Very useful in preparing a series on the creed. God explanations, applicatons and study questions.
Excellent walk through the Scriptural basis for the Apostle's Creed.
Todd Wilhelm
Good, although very brief overview of the Apostle's Creed.
Dennis Roser
Dennis Roser marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Seth Winterhalter
Seth Winterhalter marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Jim added it
Nov 19, 2015
Orlando Cordero
Orlando Cordero marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Cd is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2015
Joan marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Rachel is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • No Little People
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology
  • The Expository Genius of John Calvin
  • Rescuing Ambition
  • The Radical Question: What is Jesus Worth To You?
  • On Who Is God?
  • Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson
  • The Millennials: Connecting to America's Largest Generation
  • Models of the Church
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • The Church: The Gospel Made Visible
  • Life Together and Prayerbook of the Bible (Works, Vol 5)
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • Communion with God
  • Erasmus and the Age of Reformation
What do J. I. Packer, Billy Graham and Richard John Neuhaus have in common? Each was recently named by TIME magazine as among the 25 most influential evangelicals in America.

Dr. Packer, the Board of Governors’ Professor of Theology at Regent College, was hailed by TIME as “a doctrinal Solomon” among Protestants. “Mediating debates on everything from a particular Bible translation to the acceptabi
More about J.I. Packer...