Start by marking “Grandmother, Have the Angels Come?” as Want to Read:
Grandmother, Have the Angels Come?

Grandmother, Have the Angels Come?

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  10 reviews
With its beautiful imagery and vibrant illustrations Grandmother, Have the Angels Come? celebrates the relationship between old and young, while touching on the subject of aging in a subtle, lyrical manner.

Denise Vega's graceful, rhythmic dialogue combine with stunning art from Hula Lullaby's Erin Eitter Kono to tackle a tough subject with a graceful and spiritual touch.
Published February 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Grandmother, Have the Angels Come?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandmother, Have the Angels Come?

Diane Kress Hower
check out my interview with Denise Vega that focused on this book. www.bookwisdombydiane.blogspot.com
Margaret
Simply by looking at the cover, you know that this book has interesting artistry. Flipping through the pages, it is seen that the pictures pull imagination with reality in an absolutely beautiful fashion. The colors are vibrant and the images are very pleasing to the eye. I could easily imagine a child staring at these pictures for hours and imagine mine will too in the years to come. (Due in August, btw).

The story is a conversation between a granddaughter and her grandmother discussing the eff
Angelita
I think this is great book for kids, especially when the lose a grandparent. It explains all the changes they see in their grandparents, but it also gives them hope that while their physical body is gone, the grandparent will always live in their heart and memories.
Jenny Young
Age:
Grades K-2

Genre:
fiction

Diversity:
Family

Illustrations:
The illustrations are created with acrylics and pencil on watercolor paper.

Personal response:
The story and text flow wonderfully with the illustration in this book. The words and phrases follow a pattern throughout the story which would make it a good read aloud for younger children. The story shows the relationship and bond between a grandmother and the grandchild. The illustrations flow throughout the book and it is definitely my favorit
Marcie
Colorado Author Denise Vega won Colorado Book Award in Children's Category 2010. Illustrations by Erin Eitter Kono remind me of Tar Beach but have a hispanic flavor. I didn't love this as I think it's too sweet and right out there, for my tastes. I wanted to, because I'm finding I have all the traits of the grandmother, white hair, dimmed vision, quieted hearig, plucked teeth, curved back, bent fingers, slowed legs, and curved feet. On my second read I did like the language better, so this just ...more
IrenesBookReviews
A grandmother reminds her granddaughter of some of the good times they have had together. She tells her that the angels are going to come take her away but that she will always be right there in the granddaughter’s heart. The grandchild will ask a question that the grandmother then answers. It is all in poetry form.

I liked that it rhymed and showed a good relationship between a grandmother and her grandchild.

Terry
This is a story that everyone can enjoy. The Question/Answer format works well and uses themes kids are likely to think up themselves. It reminds us of the positive influences a grandparent can have on a child.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Christine Turner
A story in rhyme about the relationship between old and young and about growing older. www.hcpl.net

Wonderful illustrations.
MissInformation
Beautiful imagery portraying how a gandmother's love will endure, even after her hair goes white and her eyes go dark.
Mckinley
A sweet book about being old and explaining why for a young person to understand.
Alison Ruth
Alison Ruth marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Samantha Clark
Samantha Clark marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Cathy Ballou Mealey
Cathy Ballou Mealey marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Sep 15, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Terri Paxson
Terri Paxson marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Alison
Alison added it
Dec 10, 2013
Dora
Dora marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Debi Busk-rabbene
Debi Busk-rabbene marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
MJ
MJ added it
Jun 08, 2013
Kake Babe
Kake Babe marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
BBBBooks
BBBBooks marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
I've been writing since I was a kid but it took awhile to get published-I had to work at improving my craft! Click Here was the sixth novel I'd written, the first to be accepted for publication. It went on to become a bestselling title for the Scholastic Book Fairs/Clubs, won the Colorado Book Award for Young Adult Literature, and was a 2008 Louisiana Reader’s Choice Nominee. I was excited and ner ...more
More about Denise Vega...
Click Here: To Find Out How I Survived Seventh Grade Rock On Access Denied: And Other Eighth Grade Error Messages Fact of Life #31 Build a Burrito: A Counting Book in English and Spanish: (Bilingual)