Start by marking “Child Sense: From Birth to Age 5, How to Use the 5 Senses to Make Sleeping, Eating, Dressing, and Other Everyday Activities Easier While Strengthening Your Bond With Child” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Your infant is crying and you don’t know why. Your toddler refuses every kind of food–except one. Your preschooler wages war with you each morning over what to wear. Every day, parents struggle unsuccessfully to understand why their children act the way they do. Now child development expert Priscilla J. Dunstan breaks down those barriers to understanding with this revoluti ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Child Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child Sense

Judith
Very enlightening!
What is your child's dominant sense? What is your own dominant sense? How do you process the world, and how does that affect your behavior? According to this book, there are 4 types of people,
- tactile: experience the world through their bodies (need to touch and feel)
- auditory: experience the world through sounds (can be stimulated or be overwhelmed by chatter, coos, and noise)
- visual: experience the world through what they see
- taste/smell: those who are sensitive to tast
Meg
Useful ways to identify your child's dominant sense (auditory, visual...) and how you can use this understanding to connect with them better. I didn't read the whole book, just the introduction and the relevant sections. As a parent, I found it thought-provoking and worth reading.

A few criticisms:
- Like most people with an interesting theory, she over-applies it. Every problem is because you have a different dominant sense than your child.
- The section on how to identify your dominant sense (for
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
In my everlasting goal of finding ways to be a better parent, I stumbled on Child Sense by Priscilla Dunstan. This book is all about determining which sense is dominant in your child, and using this knowledge to better interact, and make your life easier. It is geared towards young children under age 5.

I found it very interesting, and very informative. The lists provided to help determine which sense your child is were detailed enough that it made my choice easy. I very easily figured out that m
Jroscanyan
Kind of reminds me of taking those color personality tests. Some good info, but by no means an end-all. This book helped me see a little better how my children (who are different sense-oriented from each other and me) interact and view the world. I tried using some of the techniques for their sense-orientation, and it did really make a difference. I am trying now to be more conscious of their primary sense-orientation and prepare for it in how we go about our days.

Also like how it's organized s
Jenny
A really interesting read, all about another take on your child's personality based on their dominant sense. It was interesting to find out that I have the same dominant sense as my daughter and my husband has the same dominant sense as my son. Has some good suggestions for improving your parenting based on your dominant senses. I think Dunstan's baby language theory (as seen on Oprah) is amazing and totally works, so was excited to pick up this book. Interesting stuff!
Juanita
A fabulous book helping parents identify what sense they used the most and what sense their child uses the most. It gives tips for eating, sleeping, playing and more according to the child's primary sense.
I got this book from the library, but it would be a great reference book.
Rachel
On the whole this was a very good book that helps you understand your children better, which can only be a good thing. Yet there was still some aspects that did not quite add up for me. I mean are all tactile children really so aggressive and so on and so fore.
Dani
Very interesting approach to 'How to talk so your child will listen'. It makes a lot of sense once you have an idea of what sense your child or even everyone in your family is. I would recommend this book to be in every new parent's library.
Bree
Really interesting insights into how children process information. Picked i up at the library and am considering purchasing it for a reread when #2 gets bigger.
Dawn Herbert
This book has opened up an area that I would like more information on to understand those I love. An easy read and good jumping off point...
Samantha
I would have to say out of all of the parenting books that this is my favorite one! It helped me understand my children so much better.
Alley
Aug 26, 2010 Alley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the way each person relates to the world by looking at their dominant sense.
Lady
Lady marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Nick N
Nick N is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Deirdre Benavides
Deirdre Benavides marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Maged Emara
Maged Emara marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Katie Dougherty
Katie Dougherty is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
michella
michella marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Onel Jasme
Onel Jasme marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014