Start by marking “Child Sense: From Birth to Age 5, How to Use the 5 Senses to Make Sleeping, Eating, Dressing, and Other Everyday Activities Easier While Strengthening Your Bond With Child” as Want to Read:

Your infant is crying and you don’t know why. Your toddler refuses every kind of food–except one. Your preschooler wages war with you each morning over what to wear. Every day, parents struggle unsuccessfully to understand why their children act the way they do. Now child development expert Priscilla J. Dunstan breaks down those barriers to understanding with this revo ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Child Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child Sense

Judith
May 11, 2010 Judith rated it it was amazing
Very enlightening!
What is your child's dominant sense? What is your own dominant sense? How do you process the world, and how does that affect your behavior? According to this book, there are 4 types of people,
- tactile: experience the world through their bodies (need to touch and feel)
- auditory: experience the world through sounds (can be stimulated or be overwhelmed by chatter, coos, and noise)
- visual: experience the world through what they see
- taste/smell: those who are sensitive to tast
Meg
Feb 28, 2010 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, health
Useful ways to identify your child's dominant sense (auditory, visual...) and how you can use this understanding to connect with them better. I didn't read the whole book, just the introduction and the relevant sections. As a parent, I found it thought-provoking and worth reading.

A few criticisms:
- Like most people with an interesting theory, she over-applies it. Every problem is because you have a different dominant sense than your child.
- The section on how to identify your dominant sense (for
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Dec 23, 2010 Sarah (Workaday Reads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
In my everlasting goal of finding ways to be a better parent, I stumbled on Child Sense by Priscilla Dunstan. This book is all about determining which sense is dominant in your child, and using this knowledge to better interact, and make your life easier. It is geared towards young children under age 5.

I found it very interesting, and very informative. The lists provided to help determine which sense your child is were detailed enough that it made my choice easy. I very easily figured out that m
Jroscanyan
Feb 09, 2011 Jroscanyan rated it liked it
Kind of reminds me of taking those color personality tests. Some good info, but by no means an end-all. This book helped me see a little better how my children (who are different sense-oriented from each other and me) interact and view the world. I tried using some of the techniques for their sense-orientation, and it did really make a difference. I am trying now to be more conscious of their primary sense-orientation and prepare for it in how we go about our days.

Also like how it's organized s
Jenny
Jan 10, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
A really interesting read, all about another take on your child's personality based on their dominant sense. It was interesting to find out that I have the same dominant sense as my daughter and my husband has the same dominant sense as my son. Has some good suggestions for improving your parenting based on your dominant senses. I think Dunstan's baby language theory (as seen on Oprah) is amazing and totally works, so was excited to pick up this book. Interesting stuff!
Juanita
Jan 22, 2010 Juanita rated it really liked it
A fabulous book helping parents identify what sense they used the most and what sense their child uses the most. It gives tips for eating, sleeping, playing and more according to the child's primary sense.
I got this book from the library, but it would be a great reference book.
Dani
Jul 05, 2011 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting approach to 'How to talk so your child will listen'. It makes a lot of sense once you have an idea of what sense your child or even everyone in your family is. I would recommend this book to be in every new parent's library.
Rachel
Aug 09, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the whole this was a very good book that helps you understand your children better, which can only be a good thing. Yet there was still some aspects that did not quite add up for me. I mean are all tactile children really so aggressive and so on and so fore.
Bree
May 09, 2010 Bree rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Really interesting insights into how children process information. Picked i up at the library and am considering purchasing it for a reread when #2 gets bigger.
Alley
Aug 26, 2010 Alley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the way each person relates to the world by looking at their dominant sense.
Samantha
Jun 26, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I would have to say out of all of the parenting books that this is my favorite one! It helped me understand my children so much better.
Dawn Herbert
Jun 20, 2013 Dawn Herbert rated it really liked it
This book has opened up an area that I would like more information on to understand those I love. An easy read and good jumping off point...
Marlene
Marlene rated it liked it
May 19, 2015
Dannie
Dannie rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2010
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
May 01, 2010
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2010
-m
-m rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Margaret Jones
Margaret Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Lena
Lena rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Terra
Terra rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2009
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2011
Chalese
Chalese rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Tawnie
Tawnie rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Jenny Zacharias-Phelps
Jenny Zacharias-Phelps rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Megan
Aug 28, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
Some super interesting stuff here.
Nichole Humphries
Nichole Humphries rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Nuria Bonilla
Nuria Bonilla rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Mikaila
Mikaila rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012