Start by marking “New York Debut (Carter House Girls, #6)” as Want to Read:
New York Debut (Carter House Girls, #6)

New York Debut (Carter House Girls #6)

Mix six teenage girls and one ‘60s fashion icon (retired, of course) in an old Victorian-era boarding
home. Add boys and dating, a little high-school angst, and throw in a Kate Spade bag or two . . . and you’ve got The Carter House Girls, Melody Carlson’s new chick lit series for young adults!

New York Debut
The New Year promises to be lively for the Carter House girls. No so
Published May 10th 2009 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2009)

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“The New Year promises to be lively for the Carter House girls. No sooner does the calendar page turn and the girls are forced to confront a whole load of difficulties. There is constant pressure from Mrs. Carter as the household prepares to participate in the high stakes Spring Fashion Week in New York City. Competition flares from all directions as the girls vie for top billing, premium outfits, and attention from favorite guys. Stresses mount and some personal challenges grow
Janna
May 01, 2009 Janna rated it it was amazing
I have a few comments about the Carter House Girls series...

1) I really like this series. New York Debut is #6 in the series and even though I have missed a couple in the middle I can still enjoy the most recent addition, and enjoy it I did!

2) I need to make clear that the Carter House Girls is for YA, but not all YA (young adults). My almost 13 year old is not ready for this series. Period. The characters are diverse and interesting and cover all spectrums and I love the concept. 6 girls from v
Wendi
Apr 30, 2009 Wendi rated it really liked it
Perfect for : Personal reading, great gift/read for teen girls, probably a good book for parents of teenage girls to read as well (gain some insight into today's teens!!)

In a nutshell: I was recently asked if I could recommend any "edgy" Christian fiction for young adult girls, and I have to say that New York Debut by Melody Carlson is just that (my niece even confirmed it!). This is the sixth book in the Carter House series. Carter House is a boarding house for teenage girls, and in this book,
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Book 6 in the Carter House Girls series picks up as DJ is being picked up from the airport on her return from Las Vegas (see my review of book 5, Lost in Las Vegas). Taylor is noticeably absent and DJ has to share with her grandmother that she is at a rehab facility in California for alcohol abuse. Grandmother is upset and disappointed because she is afraid that Taylor won't make it back in time for Fashion Week in NYC.

As school starts up again after New Years, DJ, Rhiannon and Casey begin to no
Nov 25, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
This was probably my favorite book in the series so far. I think I'm getting more interested in the characters lives and curious how the author will finish off the series (only two more books left!).

I think it's interesting how the girls turned their noses up at being tourists in New York City (glad they saw the tourist stuff anyway). Yes, I understand it's the stuff everyone sees, but surely it's a tourist attraction for a reason. If it was not fun or interesting, people would stop seeing it. I
Janine Darragh
May 08, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
The girls are slowly growing up (well, most of them) and I'm starting to see more depth of their character and really feel like I know them. I've been reading through the series fairly fast, so sometimes I feel like it is just a continuous story. But I'm always interested to see what kind of drama Melody Carlson will throw into the next book. She does a good job of portraying worldy situations with a Christian standpoint without sounding preachy or condemning. I did feel like one of the circumst ...more
Madeline
Apr 28, 2009 Madeline rated it liked it
I did not like this book as much as Lost in Las Vegas.
Other than D.J. the Carter House girls annoyed me. These girls were rich and spoiled, totally out of touch with the real world. Even the grandmother in the book had no clue of what went on with the girls, even amazed that one of her girls had ended up in rehab. Another girl had anorexia and seemed to overcome it as soon as her friends told she did. This felt unrealistic.
While the previous book, Lost in Las Vegas, focused on the wild life and
Jerry
May 13, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it
After the surprising turn of events in Lost in Las Vegas, the previous Carter House Girls novel, New York Debut brings the characters back together for more moral dilemmas and current real-life issues. This one almost feels like the second season premiere of a television show; the previous installment left me wondering what would happen next, and now my interest in the characters has been renewed. I'm not sure how much farther Ms. Carlson can take this series; although I know there are at least ...more
$hanel
Jan 07, 2010 $hanel rated it it was amazing
The final book is here and the Carter House Girls are thrilled to go to New York for their fashion debut! What could go wrong? A major fight between Taylor and Eliza, that`s what could go wrong! D.J. is now a fashion queen and can`t wait to go to this major debut! Will Taylor and Eliza get rid of that chance? Throughout the book D.J. can`t decide if she is good as a model or if she should give the fashion world up and go back to being a tomboy and having no sense of style. After all, these girls ...more
Melody [not just some girl you can sway]
This author's books keep going into a downward spiral. Melody Carlson used to be one of my favorite authors, but this book has cemented her near the bottom of my least-favorite authors. The characters are exactly like others she's written, except for a few minuscule differences. The dialogue is completely unrealistic, the plotlines are cliched. It seems she's systematically going through every issue she's ever covered in her writing. Is Casey going to try Wicca? Or is some sort of vegan greenfre ...more
Tatum
Jan 21, 2012 Tatum rated it really liked it
This series is not something I would normally like, but I LOOOOOVE it, especially this book!!

The ending was really unexpected, and I loved the whole speech DJ gave Taylor about being good Christians (it was really true, too).

This book also brings up topics such as underage drinking, anorexia, and many more that young (Not too young, though; middle schoolers and high schoolers. I'm 13, by the way) girls should know about!
Rachel
Nov 03, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was a really good 6th book in the Carter House Girls Series. Taylor is in rehab during the book and the rest of the girls are preparing for Fashion Week in New York City. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the others, but overall it is a quick, light read!!
Tatyana
Aug 19, 2013 Tatyana rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the whole series! I probably wouldn't read it again but i still enjoyed them even still. I really related to the characters, well to DJ heehee. I don't have much to say about them but the stories were great and had a good message to them. So yeah. :)
Tarah
Jun 18, 2010 Tarah rated it really liked it
Good!
Katherine
so good
Aimee
Mar 11, 2012 Aimee rated it liked it
Recommended to Aimee by: Emma
I liked that this one took place during Fashion Week in New York.
Eva
Apr 14, 2009 Eva rated it it was ok
I really liked the previous 5 books of this series, but this one BORED me to death, it was so repetitive of the other books. I don't think I'll be continuing the series.
Claudia Matos
Jul 12, 2014 Claudia Matos rated it liked it
Better than the last one but didn't impress me much.
Jessica Jackson
Jul 12, 2013 Jessica Jackson rated it it was amazing
This series is one of my favorites!
Kelsey
Jun 14, 2015 Kelsey rated it liked it
Shelves: no-recs, contemporary
I always have mixed feelings on Carlson books because of the writing, but I enjoyed Carter House Girls very much when I was thirteen.
Makayla Bieber
This one was really good it inspired me.
Alex
Feb 15, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-books
Another good installment of the Carter House Girls series. I really wish these were longer, though. Right when I get sucked back into the story, they end.
Jane Spreckelson
loved it!
Sam Skiens
Sam Skiens rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Rayna
Rayna rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2011
Evy Matthews
Evy Matthews rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Meagan
Meagan rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2011
PG
PG rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
  • The Spring of Candy Apples (Sweet Seasons, #4)
  • Be Strong & Curvaceous (All About Us, #3)
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • Holly's Heart, Collection 2: Second-Best Friend/Good-Bye, Dressel Hills/Straight-A Teacher/No Guys Pact/Little White Lies (Holly's Heart, #6-10)
  • Face Value (America's Next Top Model, #1)
  • So Over My Head (The Charmed Life, #3)
  • The Miracle Girls (Miracle Girls, #1)
  • Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble (Real Life, #2)
  • Mask Appeal (Cinderella Cleaners, #4)
  • Katy's New World (Katy Lambright Series, #1)
  • Final Touch (The Rayne Tour, #3)
  • Ruby Unscripted
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...

Carter House Girls (8 books)
  • Mixed Bags (Carter House Girls, #1)
  • Stealing Bradford (Carter House Girls, #2)
  • Homecoming Queen (Carter House Girls, #3)
  • Viva Vermont! (Carter House Girls, #4)
  • Lost in Las Vegas (Carter House Girls, #5)
  • Spring Breakdown (Carter House Girls, #7)
  • The Last Dance (Carter House Girls, #8)