Start by marking “Little Chick” as Want to Read:
Little Chick

Little Chick

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The creators of the New York Times bestselling KISS GOOD NIGHT offer a trio of gentle tales about a special intergenerational bond.

Little Chick may be a good and patient gardener, as Old-Auntie observes, but what if you simply can’t wait for your carrot to grow tall? What if you skip like a pro but still can’t lift your kite in the air? Or if you’re a really good stretcher
Published February 24th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Little Chick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Chick

Ama
This is the first time I have read a picture book with the purpose of reviewing it and throughout I could feel myself over-analysing every. Single. Page. Post-read I am aware that this was a mistake but unfortunately the damage was done and as result I did not actually enjoy it as much as I perhaps could have done. Perhaps it is because I am an older reader? Perhaps I was not considering it from a young child's perspective? I am not quite sure. I digress.

Little Chick is a heart-warming picture
Todd
As far as a gentle picture book, this was mildly successful. Anita Jeram's illustrations are always pleasant.

However, Amy Hest has been much better than this group of stories. The first of the three stories, "The Carrot that Would Not Grow", is the most problematic. While I generally do not agree that books encourage readers to mimic behaviors, Little Chick's actions in this story are fairly unconscionable. The author's disregard for teaching patience, as Little Chick is encouraged by her Old-A
Liza Gilbert
I would love to see Jeram's art under other circumstances. The stories by Hest were rather bland and all three of them ended abruptly.
Cricket Muse
These three warm stories about Little Chick are all about how she wants things to happen and doesn’t understand why they don’t. She learns all about growing a tall carrot, or skipping fast to fly her kite, or reaching for a favorite star. It’s a good thing Old Auntie is there with her encouraging words and advice. Amy Hest and Anita Jeram’s bright picture book is pleasing in presentation, both visually and through its text.

Little Chick embraces the now that most young children live in. Without r
John Parker
The soft pastels of Anita Jeram’s watercolors make Amy Hest’s Little Chick seem a bit nostalgic and strangely familiar. The three stories included in this picture book trace a day with Little Chick and her Old-Auntie, the hen. While each story stands on its own, the set of three stories makes for a comfortable read before bed or preceding a quiet time.

Little Chick could develop into a read-aloud favorite, but it is more likely that it will be enjoyed in the company of a child and their primary c
Tasha
This is a picture book that creates a world with just a few words, great characters, and wonderful illustrations. Little Chick has three stories in this book. One involves a small carrot, the second a stubborn kite and the third the wonder of stars. Hest works with repetition that links all three stories together as well as a gentle style that is happy and warm. The two characters of Little Chick and Old-Auntie (a big hen) are classic and yet fresh here. The relationship between the two is lovel ...more
Amy
GORGEOUS! And the stories are beautiful too- sort of in the vein of the Little Bear series- no, not that little bear (Will you take this kiss to mother bear?), the other little bear.
(Once there were two bears, Big Bear and Little Bear. Big Bear was the big bear, and Little Bear was the little bear.)*

Little chick is accompanied by her Old Auntie, which means it scores some additional points for representing family in another light than mom and pop and kiddo.

Did I mention the pictures are gorgeo
Amy Nicole
My toddler loves the carrot that would not grow. The illustrations are lovely and little chick perfectly embodies a toddler spirit of curiosity and desire.
Robyn Bookworm
Short stories perfect for story time. Chick plants a little carrot, learns to fly a kite, and tries to catch a star. Adorable pictures.
PWRL
Jun 08, 2015 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: zzz2015-jun-new
A
Jessy
I really liked the blend of water color and pencil drawing in the book. It may have not been cutting edge drawings but I think it would do the job of drawing a student's attention. I think this book is best for grades k-2 due to the length of the stories. I feel like older students would want to hear longer stories since there are three short ones in this book.

I think this book would be best used as a way to encourage students because they can see the accomplishments that this little chick makes
S.j.reads
I read this aloud to my two three-year-old girls and my older daughter (11) was home sick so she listened too. We all really enjoyed the stories and the drawings. I'm not sure why Little Chick 'had' to pull the carrot out (the only thing that bothered me and my older daughter), but the pictures are adorable and the writing is sweet. I liked how the three stories had the same kind of structure. Very enjoyable and will be reading again several times over the next couple weeks.
Margaret
Already I have shared how much we enjoy Anita Jeram's illustrations and they are especially good in these three Little Chick stories. The font used is large and clear and just great for reading over a little shoulder in your lap. All three stories are snuggle worthy. I love all-in-one omnibus editions!

Now you can also find these great stories in board book formats. :)
Karla
I love the relationship between the Little Chick and Old-Auntie, the hen. Nice to see a young/old relationship that isn't about grandparents ~ can celebrate the other elders in a child's life. Each story stands on its own merits, but each complements the others for a lovely collection. Each of the three chapters could be read separately in a storytime. Darling illustrations by Anita Jeram who illustrated Guess How Much I Love You.
Jessica Jackson
A book comprised of three simple stories about Little Chick. Auntie is always around to support and encourage Little Chick, or just make observations. When Little Chick is growing a carrot, and it doesn't get very big, Auntie says, "Some carrots are big and some carrots are not." Isn't that the truth. Very soothing, short stories, a bit zen. I read it with our 3-5 year old preschoolers, and everyone loved it.
Dee
Jul 11, 2010 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chicken lovers
Shelves: children-s-books
This little chick is so darn cute. You just want to pick him up and cuddle him. Old-Auntie is a great friend. The book is actually three stories in one. My favorite is The Kite That Would Not Fly. The illustrations are so sweet you just want to be in the story. I don't know what it is with chickens lately.
Vicki
This book has 3 short stories that could be used separately or together. I love the way the author creates a lovely and loving relationship between little chick and "Old" auntie. There are large water color type illustrations that carry through on the gentle theme that I feel when I read this book.
Denise
Each of the three stories has a little lesson to offer with Old-Auntie as the voice of reason. The illustrations are nearly overpowered by the amount of text at times, however, the use of white space kind of evens things out a bit. This would work for teacher collections, not as storytime friendly though.
Jennifer Oaks
At first, I thought this book contained one story. Then I realized that it had three stories because it is a transitional book, which is one between a picture book and a chapter book. The theme that I got from this book is that no one is perfect and it is important to be yourself.
Christina
I absolutely LOVE the illustrations of this book. It contains 3 little stories. I could possibly work for story time since if you start to loose the group, you could just finish the short story you are on, or break up the stories with other activities.
Maria
Sweet pencil and watercolor illustrations accompany three stories about Little Chick. I like that you can read the stories separately or together. I'm rather fond of the third story "The Starry Night."
Harla
This is one of my new favorite chicken picture books. It falls in my "sweet" category.Great story and vocabulary. Love the flow of the narrative. Illustrations are wonderful as well. Amy Hest at her best.
Tara
You don't have to have the biggest to have the best. This is a good moral for children. A great beginner read. It also shows how you should care about other people. This book had three stories in it.
Melissa
Sweet, sweet. Three short stories. Auntie gives advice. I like these exchanges: "You are a good stretcher," said Old-Auntie. "Yes," agreed Little Chick. "I am a good stretcher."
The Library Lady
Three sweet stories with sweet pictures. But is there any reason (aside from the usual every kid theory of anthropomorphic animals) that Little Chick IS a chick?
Molly
Split into three stories we find little chick trying to do several things that may be a little difficult for him but he handles the struggle well. Ages 3+
Susan P
So cute! Three stories about an adorable little chick and her wise old auntie. Great illustrations too.
Mary Anne
Three sweet little stories as the cute little chick discovers simple pleasures of life.
Joan
Very sweet, in chapters. This would be perfect for an aunt to give a 3-4 year old!
Tina
"frustrations, chickens, having patience, possible storytime, 3 separate stories in book"
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Amy Hest is a three-time winner of the Christopher Medal and winner of the BOSTON GLOBE-HORN BOOK Award. She lives in New York City.
More about Amy Hest...
Kiss Good Night When Jessie Came Across the Sea Charley's First Night The Reader You Can Do It, Sam