Start by marking “City I Love” as Want to Read:
City I Love

City I Love

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  30 reviews
City I Love sparkles like the lights in Times Square! Featuring eighteen poems that guide the reader on an international tour—from New York to San Francisco, London to Tokyo, and beyond—this exuberant collection is the perfect read-aloud for city kids, aspiring world travelers, and adventurous spirits everywhere.

Beloved children’s poet Lee Bennett Hopkins and New Yorker ar
Published April 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about City I Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City I Love

Written by Hopkins, this collection of poems centers around what happens in the city: what is seen, heard, and felt. Each poem takes a typical experience for someone who is in an urban area and describes it with such detail and description, that even construction zones are something to be appreciated. Some of the poems are creatively placed on the page, allowing for students to see symmetry and repetition within a poem. The poems are accompanied by beautiful pictures.

This book allows for the ci
It's funny to think that in the past most American kids lived on farms, yes? Nowadays the bulk of young `uns have at least a passing familiarity with big city life, even if they don't live there themselves. So I sit and stare at this picture book collection of city-based poems and I think about it. What audience are we reaching out to here? Are there kids enthralled by bright lights, big cities? Do they wonder about far away places, and are willing to take a trip there, albeit a roundabout one v ...more
If you are looking for a good poetry book to read to your students that includes several of the elements of poetry, look no further. There are several kinds of poetry found in this book: lyric or expressive poems, dialogue poems, and even free verse. Some of the elements that are found within these poems are sound, comparison, and its use of images. In terms of sound, the use of onomatopoeia and alliteration are widely used. Comparison is used in a few of the poems as well to create a sense of i ...more
I read this as part of a poetry sharing exercise for a class towards my MLS. I truly enjoyed the adorable illustrations and quirky poems!
Neha Amin
Review; This is a okay poetry collection. This book features poems city life and things you might see in the city. There is one poem per page, though some poems do take up two pages. The way that the words are written, all over the place, might confuse a child. The illustration are really well done. They are of different cities and different places in a city.

Chosen poem: City

Mile-long skyscrapers are my trees.
Subway's whoosh-my summer breeze.

A hydrant is my swimming pool
Where friends and I find
Young readers will catch the travel bug after reading this light collection of short poems about cities. Although the poems do not rhyme, the words create an image to match the topic as in the poem “Kite” where the kite “flitters, twirls, tumbles, twitters”. The words do not rhyme but instead give a visual of the kite floating in the air. Another technique the author uses to create imagery in the poems is how the poem is set up. In the poem “Snow City”, the word down is written in falling text t ...more
Amy Musser
This collection of 18 poems takes the reader on a journey to cities around the world. With his backpack in tow a small brown dog travels the world observing as he goes. From New York to Cairo, Moscow to Rio De Janeiro, cities everywhere are celebrated:

“Sing a song of cities.
If you do,
Cities will sing back
to you.”

The poems are a mix of previously published poems and new pieces by Hopkins. Some poems are short; just a few carefully chosen words convey a world of meaning. While others are longer;
Andrea Davis
This small collection of city based poems show a great variety of what poetry can do and what poetry can be. I love the illustrations and the repeated use of the dog, you never know what he'll be doing on the next page. This book would be good for students to analyze and be a base for their own creative writing. Perhaps to those kids who live in suburban areas, this book can provide some insight of what a city is like.
Dominique Maderitz
City I Love Hopkins by Lee Bennett award winner of the NCTE Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children follows the criteria of this award because it brings about imagination and is appealing to children.This story was about New York City and all the beauty that comes along with it. I loved all the rhyming and the flow of each page. The book went along so wonderfully with the pictures and was cute and eye catching. I enjoyed the different descriptions of the different building and the subways in ...more
Bill Gordon
Fine illustrations but most of the poems fell flat for me.

The City I Love- A dog who is traveling around the world, who stops to make poetic observations while stopping in several cities. He stops in Asia, Europe, and every continent to observe and share his thoughts of the city.
The illustrations of ink and watercolor are beautiful and the poetic writing flows nicely. This would be a good book for children to see famous landmarks and where they are located. It's a good learning tool for children to see what's outside of their city or town. Children 4
Sam Bloom
I really enjoy the premise behind this book - poems about cities, with illustrations that highlight specific cities that are shown on a map at the beginning of the book. A Snoopy-like dog travels through the cities in the book's excellent illustrations. However, the poems themselves rarely have anything to do with the cities from the illustrations. In fact, as much as I *do* enjoy Lee Bennett Hopkins, the poems are largely pedestrian. It's fun to look at, though.
Dianne J.
Age of readership: Ages 5 - 10

Genre: Poetry

Diversity: City Life Worldwide

Illustrations: Brush, ink and watercolor painted playfully realistic scenes

My response to the book: 18 poems highlight and celebrate the diversity of cities from Toronto to Tokyo and many others in between, as traveled to by a dog and a bird.

Curricular/Programming connections: Use during a unit on poetry and explore multiple cities worldwide.
This is a fascinating collection of poems accompanied by illustrations that depict a little dog travelling the world and seeing some of the most famous urban places. The poems are quite disparate, some in traditional formats, like haiku, others quite unique; some rhyming, some not. We read a few at a time and discussed the locations depicted. Our oldest liked the poems, but our youngest did not. At least she liked the illustrations...
I love cities and I enjoyed these poems. It helps city living and experiences come to life for the reader. Cities are from around the world... based on the maps in the end pages, but I'm not sure I know which cities go with which poems. Did I miss that??? I realize there are some indications in the illustrations but I'm still not positive.
The Reading Countess
This is a beautiful book celebrating the beauty of cities across the globe. I loved the international attention that cities worldwide received. The good, the bad and the ugly about living in large cities can be found in this lighthearted book. Think of it like a Where's Waldo for the passport loving reader!
I love the way that each poem deals with a different aspect of city life. The illustrations complement the poems and expand the story, with each picture depicting a different major city (London, Paris, San Francisco, New York, etc.).
I love this poetry for students to reference as an example for how to write about something you enjoy. This book of poetry displays a variety of structure for constructing a poem. I recommend this for 2nd-5th grades.
Chenoa Brown
-Grades Pre-K to 2nd grade
-Awesome book full of poems
-Great way to read about diversity in the form of poems
-Can be used as an assessment for seeing if students can figure out what city or location is being described
Victoria Clay
This is a great little book of poetry. The poems are simple enough to understand. It could be great to talk about different types of poetry. It also shows how one topic, like the city, holds so many possibilities.
Paul  Hankins
A celebration of cities and and their special attributes around the world. Accessible verse captures the feel of "Anywhere City" but the illustrations help us to see where the poem is taking place.
Loved the New Yorker style illustrations and the little dog backpacking through cities all over the world. The poems were good, but nothing really grabbed me.
Love how the poems could be anywhere but the pictures set them in a time and place. Lots of different poetry forms
Nice poems with wonderful illustrations. A great trip around the world for kids.
Illustrations are much better than the poetry, but still a nice tribute to city living.
Great read aloud. Kids loved guessing each different city.
Love how so many international cities are featured.
Great illustrations, but I'm personally not into the poems.
Marcellus Hall fan is born!
really cute travel poems.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I Am the Book Amazing Faces Sharing the Seasons: A Book of Poems My America: A Poetry Atlas of the United States Wonderful Words: Poems About Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening