Start by marking “Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!” as Want to Read:
Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!

Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!

Follow Billy and Milly through thirteen adventures in these funny and simple short stories. Through very basic storytelling, these brief narratives are told in only three or four words apiece. For example, ?Stoops (Billy and Milly sit on their front stoops as the ice cream truck drives by.), Hoops (Billy shoots his basketball?), Scoops (?as Milly licks her ice cream cone?) ...more
Published June 11th 2009 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!

Tanya W
Dec 17, 2012 Tanya W rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book, loved it. Very clever and simple. It's amazing how you can tell a story with just 3 or 4 rhyming words and some great illustrations... it would be a fun activity to try to do with older children. I'd like to see if I could do that.
Casandria
Mar 13, 2017 Casandria rated it liked it
Very simple story told in few rhyming words. The illustrations might be too tricky for story time...
Rhymes
Heidi
Nov 10, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
I used this book last week with my first and second grade students as an introduction to story elements. I explained to them that to be a story there needs to be at least three things: characters, setting, and plot. The short stories in this book worked perfectly to emphasize my point that a story doesn't need to have 100 pages to be a story. By the time I got to the last story, the students were reading the words with me (a clear sign of engagement). Whenever a book captures the attention of my ...more
Pamela
Billy and Milly, Short and Silly! / written by Eve Feldman; illustrated by Tuesday Mourning (2009) -- SUMMARY: Relates the adventures of Billy and Milly in very brief, rhyming text and illustrations. For example: Illustrations show a boy sitting on the dock fishing. There is a rock below the dock that turns into an crocodile. The three word rhyme: Dock, Rock, Shock, Croc! -- COMMENTS: A very unique book which uses three to four rhyming words to create a short story. CURRICULUM: Use to discuss th ...more
Johncady
Sep 05, 2012 Johncady rated it it was amazing
This was a very clever children's book filled with great illustrations and wonderful use of rhyming to tell stories with few words. The book is able to tell each individual situation through one word being rhymed with the next. I think this would be perfect for very young readers, it is not just colorful and visually enjoyable to read, I think that the rhyming story telling that changes page by page helps children to make their own connections. Rhyming is also fun for children and helps them to ...more
Paula
Aug 17, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
Great illustrations, could be used for story time or for an early reader. Might need a little explaining if used in story time
babyhippoface
Thirteen super-short stories make up this book about Billy & Milly. Each story is two to four pages in length, and told entirely in one-word, rhyming "statements".

Example:
Dock
Rock
Shock
Croc!

Don't think it would make a good read-aloud for storytime, but it would work quite well for teaching the the concept of rhyme, as each story consists only of rhyming words. Also, this is a perfect example of illustrations providing context clues for understanding, as the stories cannot be understood with
Christine Turner
Jan 14, 2010 Christine Turner rated it liked it
Follow Billy and Milly through thirteen adventures in these funny and simple short stories. Through very basic storytelling, these brief narratives are told in only three or four words apiece. Eve Feldman cleverly uses easily recognizable words in these entertaining episodes, and Tuesday Mourning's vibrant, playful illustrations jump off the page to bring readers right into the action. With a pair of wonderfully playful characters, Billy and Milly is perfect for anyone who likes a good short sto ...more
Westerville
Apr 01, 2011 Westerville rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture_book
"Can you tell a story in just 4 words? Billy and Milly can - and sometimes in only 3! My favorite is perhaps Milly and the Dragon: Flame. Blame. Shame. Tame. And for the last word, Milly flies off on the dragons back." Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Nina
Apr 23, 2014 Nina rated it it was ok
Follow Billy and Milly on their 13 fun adventures. Each short story is cleverly told using 3-4 rhyming words, making it a fun easy read for early to middle elementary students. Since Eve Feldman uses easy, recognizable words, this makes it a fun all read book. I could see this being accompanied in Language Arts with an activity where students are challenged to write a simple short narrative with limited word usage.
Nov 08, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book for young children and those learning rhyming words. Told only in rhyming words, this book tells the adventures of Billy and Milly. With one word per page, the reader has to use the colorful illustrations to piece together the story. Young kids will have fun guessing the next rhyming word to complete the story.

I used this book with my kindergarten kids in the library, and they loved guessing the next word and then coming up with more rhyming words.
Liza Gilbert
Sep 14, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not really sure I understand the point of this book. In 3-4 word snippets, Feldman tells many rhyming stories about Billy and Milly. Obviously meant as a story to discuss rhyming, the chosen words are too complex for this purpose alone. If it is a higher concept book, one wonders for whom it is intended.
Sarah Ashburn
May 27, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it liked it
Shelves: language-play
This book would be very good for a teacher to use with a student who is just learning to read. This book uses short words that are also explained through the illustrations. Billy & Milly Short & Silly also use rhyming and different types of segmentation to make the words easily read but to also tell a children's story.
Alexander The Triumphant
Aug 27, 2011 Alexander The Triumphant rated it it was amazing
In this book they say silly stuff. Billy said, "hoops," and Milly said, "scoops." Billy said, "oops," and Billy said, "dock, rock, shock, crock." Milly said, "ape." The gorilla had a cape and he escaped. Billy said, "bike," Billy said, "hike." I liked this book because there was people. -by Alex
Robin
Mar 31, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
Wow. Can you tell a story in just 4 words? Billy and Milly can -- and sometimes in only 3! And the words rhyme. My favorite is perhaps Milly and the Dragon: Flame. Blame. Shame. Tame. And for the last word, Milly flies off on the dragons back. Fun, bright colored, cartoony style illustrations. Lots of child appeal and children may want to try to create their own stories!
Kelsey
May 19, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
This book features three to four rhyming words in a set on each page. The words accompany a set of pictures that illustrate a humorous situation. The illustrations are funny and colorful. The rhyming words would be appropriate for encouraging phonological awareness. The sparse nature of the words makes the book very appropriate for use with young children.
Meghan Hunt
Sep 02, 2015 Meghan Hunt rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
This is a great rhyming book with simply, but funny escalating rhymes. Example: stoops, hoops, scoops, oops-(The basketball lands in the ice scream scoop, which leads to the oops.) It's a very clever book. I was thinking about using it for a storytime, but I think the text is too short for my audience.
Megan
Aug 03, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
A good example of text and illustration working together to tell a story. Each story in this book consists of only three or four words that all rhyme (ex. Dock Rock Shock Croc). The pictures make it clear that there is a boy sitting on a pier, he thinks there is a rock below him, but he is surprised to see that it is actually a crocodile.
Jaclyn
Dec 10, 2009 Jaclyn added it
I wasn't sure if I would like this or not, but I have to say I was impressed. Very cute stories, new idea and even a few life lessons in three words or less. The pictures are fun and clarify the brief text. This is creative and fun. Would make a great addition to a lesson on rhyming words and proves a few well chosen words are much more important than lots of words.
Dec 09, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This fantastic short book has a first reader type text in a picture book format. It has groups of rhyming words that tell short stories--for instance Tee--Bee--Flee about hitting a golf ball into a beehive. Definitely a good narrative skills as well as phonological awareness book
Bridget R. Wilson
Gotta love a book that deals with word play. I'm sure the author had real fun making up her stories that only consist of 3 or 4 rhyming words. Great illustrations. In fact, the words wouldn't mean anything without them.
Karina Espinales
There is no real story line. It is a great book to introduce to students that are learning about words and how some words rhyme. The pictures correspond to the the words and this is great for the children to try to figure out what each word might mean. Not a favorite but its a good childrens book.
W.H. Beck
Jul 26, 2009 W.H. Beck rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, funny, k-1
It's amazing how just a few rhyming words strung together can tell a story. As I read it to my son, he kept giggling and asking, "How'd they do that?" Perfect for brand-new readers and a great example of how illustrations tell the story.
Mackenzie Beals
Apr 19, 2014 Mackenzie Beals rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689
This 2010 Notable Children's Book in the Language Arts includes 13 very short stories. The short stories are told in three or four rhyming words. It has vibrant art and funny stories. This book could be used to discuss rhyming for younger readers.
Melissa
VERY short stories, made up of 3 or 4 one-word rhymes. "Pack. Whack. Crack. Snack." Tells about making, hitting, and breaking a pinata, then eating the candy inside. A good non-ER book to remember for very beginning readers.
Teresa Garrett
Jul 29, 2010 Teresa Garrett rated it really liked it
Three rhyming words on a page with a rhyming surprise on the next. Colorful interesting illustrations. Great way to teach rhymes with a twist. Could be used with older students as a challenge to write their own books.
Lesley Looper
Nov 06, 2010 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it
I liked this book! Short stories are told in a group of rhyming words, no sentences, just a few rhyming words with accompanying delightful illustrations. It'a a creative way for young readers to learn some rhyming word families and fill in the blanks on the little stories, too. Cute!
Felicity The Magnificent
Aug 27, 2011 Felicity The Magnificent rated it really liked it
In this book they just said rhyming words. And there were different rhyming words on each page. And Billy and Milly were in the pages. - By Felicity
Rebecca
Such a clever idea -- stories told in only 3 or 4 rhyming words, filled in with pictures. ("Tee -- Tree -- Bee -- Flee") This would be great to discuss and make up your own stories.
Prplpckl
Mar 19, 2013 Prplpckl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-anabel
Very simple but great single word rhymes tell fun, creative stories with great illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »