Birdsongs

Birdsongs

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The sky is quiet.

The yard is quiet.

The creek is quietly gurgling.

Then...tat, tat, tat, tat, tat, tat, tat, tat, tat, tat! A red-capped woodpecker starts his rap for the day. Next comes nine soft coos from the mourning doves, followed by the chipping of a flurry of sparrows. And on go the birdsongs throughout the day.

Celebrate neighborhood birds in this poetic pictu...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Bree
Notes:
not a fan of the counting aspect of this book -- we read it without the numbers and liked it better; gorgoeus art; fun ending with the mockingbird
Megan Phillips
This book does an excellent job of showing students how to use their writing voice in order to display sound effects. All of the bird's noises are written in large words in order to display how loud they actually are. This book could be used in a writing workshop that focuses upon how writers can use voice in their writing to display different types of noises or words that need to be read loudly while reading.

This book could be used as an introductory tool to teach more about birds because it i...more
Sarah Sammis
Birdsongs by Betty Franco and illustrated by Steve Jenkins is a delightful children's book that's takes a typical counting book and mixes with with some basic ornithology along with the story of an approaching storm.

Each page marks the passage of time with a new bird and a new bird song. There are crows, chickadees, morning doves, sea gulls and a humming bird among others. Harriet loves the way different birdsongs are counted all the way down to the single humming bird zzzt. She likes the make t...more
Whitney
C didn't get into this one very much; a young bird aficionado would love all the unique sounds and pictures of birds!
Kathleen Garber
This is a great picture book that tells the sounds that different birds make ending with the mockingbird which imitates all the other birds. Plus the sounds are counted down from 10 to 1 so it reviews the numbers too. The illustrations look like pieces of paper cut into shapes and glued together, it looks very beautiful.

Quote:
A short rain shower. Dressed in shiny green suits, mallards in the creek
discuss the weather. "The Gull was right," they say, quacking 5 times in
agreement.
Michael
Jun 26, 2013 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michael by: Aleyda
A woodpecker, gull, crow, robin, thrasher, and humming bird, along with mourning doves, sparrows, chickadees and ducks, give out their calls during the day, only to have them copied at night by the mockingbird. Cute story for the three year old, introducing her to the various "bird calls" that only a grandfather could mimic. Of course she loved it, and had to "parrot" along. (Like how I got another bird into the review, even though it wasn't mentioned in the story?) Clever, huh?
Lisa Nagel
I liked this book for many reasons, first the illustrations are lovely. Secondly, there is a wonderful feathery fact index in the back that introduces young readers to facts about birds, and yes, it is also a counting book as you count backyard with the bird songs. Pair it with Kevin Henkes Birds book for a nice unit on birds for younger readers.Birds
Michele
A short, simple book about different birdsongs. There is a counting aspect to it, which I essentially overlooked as I read it aloud to my kindergarteners. We focused on the different birdsongs, and it was enjoyed interactively. I don't think I would enjoy it as much as a counting book. The illustrations were clear and nice, in Jenkins' style. Focused primarily on backyard birds, which I appreciated for use with my kindergarteners.
Magila
A mixture of a counting picture book and science-birds. There isn't too much about the species of birds until the end, and even then the info is just a one liner, but it's just right for kids. The pages have poetry-ish entries leading up to the birdsongs and a number on each page.

The real winner is not the "story" which is ok and educational, but the art - which is cut paper and fantastic.

Recommended.
babyhippoface
This counting book (of sorts) chronicles bird activity in one area from sunrise to sunset, beginning with one woodpecker that raps 10 times on the tree, mourning doves that coo 9 times, and on down to a hummingbird who offers a tiny "tzik" as the sun sets. Readers will get a sense of the calls crows, gulls, robins, a thrush, and more send out as they enjoy Steve Jenkins' gorgeous cut paper illustrations.
Kathryn Sublett
This book could be used to identify similarities and differences among different species of birds. The class could go outside to observe birds around the school and talk about the birds characteristics. This activity would be appropriate for students in kindergarten. It might be helpful to have a parent volunteer when taking twenty four kindergartners outside to learn.
Heather
This book uses counting to show you different birds and the songs they sing. It's very understated though, as in just briefly mentioned. You could emphasize the counting or just leave it as is.

The illustrations are lovely, using paper cutouts and are quite realistic.

Overall we enjoyed this book. It has some interesting information, but isn't 'deep'.

Khadija Bensaadoun
The book is about different sounds that different bird species make. I would use this book for a kindergarten lesson on north american birds and their different sounds. For a fun class activity I would play different sounds that birds make such as hawk,goose, chicken..etc. The students will have to identify the sound with the appropriate animal.
Meg McGregor
Beautifully illustrated. The pictures look more like paintings.

Little ones will learn what that robins say tut, thrashers say chuck, mallards say quack, etc.

The information pages in the back of the book is great for older children.
Alfajirikali
This book combines counting, lyricism, and the distinctiveness and variety of bird calls. Athena loved it. I enjoyed it too, and especially I appreciated the artwork (though, admittedly, I am a sucker for paper collage).
Amber
Mar 25, 2009 Amber rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brandi
Shelves: children-s-books
Great book...I think a slightly older child would especially love this. My 3 year old did, my 2 year old was unimpressed. I think a 4 or 5 year old would be perfect. Especially think your girls would love this one Brandi
LeGrand
Oct 18, 2007 LeGrand rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: small kids, birders
Shelves: picture_books
i really enjoyed this book.. the artwork is somewhat similar to eric carle.. lots of paper cutouts and textured paper to create the imagery for this book... it is also an excellent introduction to a variety of different birds..
Heather
40 months - we always enjoy pretty birds when we are out exploring but I have to admit I am quite clueless as to their names or the sounds of their calls. This was a fun book to hear what their voices might sound like.
Lisa
The illustrations are nice in this book, but what I liked most about reading it to my 2-year-old is that it incorporates counting, birds and short words in big fonts (the bird songs) that she can easily identify.
Andrew Perry
This would be good for a lesson on different types of birds and their distinctive characteristics. This could also be expanded to a lesson on classification.
Kim
I love Steve Jenkins. I will share this with 3rd and 4th graders and then show a YouTube video of robins hatching and leaving the nest! Perfect!
MissInformation
Very nice paper collage illustrations and brief text, along with words that emulate bird sounds-- dee dee dee, eeyah, etc.
Betsy
Gorgeous illustrations and type. I want to live in the house in this book. Eliza likes when we sound like birds.
Kelly
Illustrated by Steve Jenkins. An ultimate storytime book -- counting, sounds, and big, clear illustrations.
Merrow
Beautiful! The only thing that spoiled this were that several birds were incorrectly identified.
Carol
Loved the artwork in this counting book. Course I'm fond of birds.
Carissa
Collaged illustrations paired with mimicking bird noises? YES!
Michelle Sebly
May 30, 2008 Michelle Sebly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of small children
* good for learning about various species of american birds.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Betsy Franco has published more than eighty books, including three previous anthologies. She lives in Palo Alto, California.
More about Betsy Franco...
You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys Things I Have to Tell You: Poems and Writing by Teenage Girls Bees, Snails, & Peacock Tails: Patterns & Shapes . . . Naturally Zero Is The Leaves On The Tree A Dazzling Display of Dogs