The American Cinema: Directors and Directions, 1929-1968

The American Cinema: Directors and Directions, 1929-1968

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The auteur theory, of which film criticAndrew Sarris was the leading American proponent, holds that artistry in cinema can be largely attributed to film directors, who, while often working against the strictures of studios, producers, and scriptwriters, manage to infuse each film in their oeuvre with their personal style. Sarris's The American Cinema, the bible of auteur s...more
Published August 22nd 1996 by Da Capo Press (first published January 31st 1969)

Cinemike
What can one say about a book that inspired a generation of cinephiles? The American Cinema is one of those reading experiences that illuminate its subject so clearly that the subject has a 'before' and 'after' in the consciousness.
From a scholarly perspective, Sarris' method is outrageous - the dividing of film directors into wacky categories like 'Less than meets the eye' and 'Strained seriousness' - but in spite of just a few judgments that, in the course of time have been shown to be dubiou...more
Ian  McLatchie
Along with the Truffaut Hitchcock interviews, still my favorite book on film. Hardly a day goes by that I don't glance through a few director profiles or year-by-year lists of American movies. Indsipensible. I haven't found Sarris as trustworthy a critic in recent years, but always value what he has to say. Sad to hear he's been let go by the New York Observer.
Drahcir10001
Fascinating. A snapshot in time yet still relevant. The most readable overview of directors - didactic but full of humour. When you read other 1960s film criticism this stands as a beacon. Remarkable how relevant it still is - and so much more illuminating and entertaining as a canon to be aware of than the slipshod likes of "1001 films to see before you die".
Tom Stamper
The foremost American proponent of the auteur theory, Sarris has a lot to say about which directors are over-rated and under-rated. His overall view, shared by Manny Farber, that genre films are ignored in favor of forgettable prestige movies resonated with me. I can appreciate any critic that sees Howard Hawks in the upper echelon of film makers.
Stephen
The most efficient and learned book on film I've ever read, Sarris' supreme intellect shines through this collection of fiercely focused evaluations of American film's most iconic directors.
Paul Secor
This was my bible when I was young and beginning to realize what films were about and what they could be. Andrew Sarris is my favorite film critic. 'Nuff said.
Eric
Jun 19, 2013 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: film
Best book ever written! No other piece of writing has had such a profound impact on my life.
Keith Brinkmann
Dated.
It's a good book for info on the "Pantheon" directors
and for info on lesser known films,
but his criticisms are usually based on "decency"
and the necessity for films to directly address issues
and ideas...
This is evidenced in his criticism of David Lean.
In fact, I enjoy a lot of his reasoning for praising directors, but when it comes to critiques, I feel like I am turned off by his tone.
I love the films he loves, but I also love the films he hates--
Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favori...more
Mac
Strong opinions (many of which I disagreed with), interesting organization--all major directors fit into various categories like "Expressive Esoterica" or "Less Than Meets the Eye"--a thought-provoking read
Patrick Ciccone
Aug 31, 2007 Patrick Ciccone added it
Shelves: canon
Still the Bible of Hollywood Cinema.
Matthew Wegrzynowicz
Matthew Wegrzynowicz marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alok
Alok marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Dylan
Dylan added it
Jul 14, 2014
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Aakashnair
Aakashnair marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Claco
Claco marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
A. Marques
A. Marques marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Arjun
Arjun marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Eadweard
Eadweard marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
  • What Is Cinema?, Vol. 1
  • The New Biographical Dictionary of Film: Expanded and Updated
  • Film Noir Reader
  • For Keeps: 30 Years at the Movies
  • Who the Devil Made It: Conversations With Legendary Film Directors
  • Notes on the Cinematographer
  • Roger Ebert's Book of Film: From Tolstoy to Tarantino, the Finest Writing from a Century of Film
  • The Films in My Life
  • Godard on Godard: Critical Writings
  • Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings
  • The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German Cinema and the Influence of Max Reinhardt
  • From Caligari to Hitler: A Psychological History of the German Film
  • From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies
  • Everything Is Cinema: The Working Life of Jean-Luc Godard
  • Within the Context of No Context
  • Making Movies
  • This Is Orson Welles
  • Film as a Subversive Art
Most famous for his 1962 essay "Notes on the Auteur theory" which popularized this film criticism technique in America. He wrote for the Village Voice criticing films and literature before bringing the Auteur theory from France to America and employing it in analysis of Hitchcock's film Psycho.
He wrote for The New York Observer until 2009 and was a professor at his alma mater, Columbia University...more
More about Andrew Sarris...
"You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet": The American Talking Film: History and Memory 1927-1949 Confessions Of A Cultist: On The Cinema, 1955/1969 Interviews With  Film Directors John Ford Movie Myst Primal Screen