Start by marking “The American Cinema: Directors and Directions, 1929-1968” as Want to Read:
The American Cinema: Directors and Directions, 1929-1968

The American Cinema: Directors and Directions, 1929-1968

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The auteur theory, of which film criticAndrew Sarris was the leading American proponent, holds that artistry in cinema can be largely attributed to film directors, who, while often working against the strictures of studios, producers, and scriptwriters, manage to infuse each film in their oeuvre with their personal style. Sarris's The American Cinema, the bible of auteur s ...more
Published August 22nd 1996 by Da Capo Press (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The American Cinema, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Cinema

Cinemike
Nov 03, 2013 Cinemike rated it it was amazing
What can one say about a book that inspired a generation of cinephiles? The American Cinema is one of those reading experiences that illuminate its subject so clearly that the subject has a 'before' and 'after' in the consciousness.
From a scholarly perspective, Sarris' method is outrageous - the dividing of film directors into wacky categories like 'Less than meets the eye' and 'Strained seriousness' - but in spite of just a few judgments that, in the course of time have been shown to be dubiou
Ian  McLatchie
Oct 20, 2009 Ian McLatchie rated it it was amazing
Along with the Truffaut Hitchcock interviews, still my favorite book on film. Hardly a day goes by that I don't glance through a few director profiles or year-by-year lists of American movies. Indsipensible. I haven't found Sarris as trustworthy a critic in recent years, but always value what he has to say. Sad to hear he's been let go by the New York Observer.
Drahcir10001
May 19, 2013 Drahcir10001 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: film, next-favourites
Fascinating. A snapshot in time yet still relevant. The most readable overview of directors - didactic but full of humour. When you read other 1960s film criticism this stands as a beacon. Remarkable how relevant it still is - and so much more illuminating and entertaining as a canon to be aware of than the slipshod likes of "1001 films to see before you die".
Tom Stamper
Oct 13, 2013 Tom Stamper rated it it was amazing
The foremost American proponent of the auteur theory, Sarris has a lot to say about which directors are over-rated and under-rated. His overall view, shared by Manny Farber, that genre films are ignored in favor of forgettable prestige movies resonated with me. I can appreciate any critic that sees Howard Hawks in the upper echelon of film makers.
Stephen
Nov 26, 2007 Stephen rated it it was amazing
The most efficient and learned book on film I've ever read, Sarris' supreme intellect shines through this collection of fiercely focused evaluations of American film's most iconic directors.
Paul Secor
Jul 05, 2011 Paul Secor rated it it was amazing
This was my bible when I was young and beginning to realize what films were about and what they could be. Andrew Sarris is my favorite film critic. 'Nuff said.
Eric
Jun 19, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: film
Best book ever written! No other piece of writing has had such a profound impact on my life.
Daniel
Aug 12, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Indispensable, and a testament to Sarris's establishment of a robust, eloquent and organic approach to auteur theory in the U.S. After spending time in Paris with the Cahiers crowd, Sarris trained his intellect on achievements of hundreds of directors' ouevres back in the states. The rather pithy -- and often slyly hilarious -- synopses of directors' careers here are nuanced, and burst with insight. And it quickly becomes apparent just how many films, and how much dedication Sarris must have inv ...more
Keith Brinkmann
Jun 29, 2010 Keith Brinkmann rated it liked it
Dated.
It's a good book for info on the "Pantheon" directors
and for info on lesser known films,
but his criticisms are usually based on "decency"
and the necessity for films to directly address issues
and ideas...
This is evidenced in his criticism of David Lean.
In fact, I enjoy a lot of his reasoning for praising directors, but when it comes to critiques, I feel like I am turned off by his tone.
I love the films he loves, but I also love the films he hates--
Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favori
Dan Domanski
Feb 07, 2015 Dan Domanski rated it it was amazing
In this book, Andrew Sarris operates under the simple premise that a film's primary author is its director. With this premise in mind, he searches out the directors of the American cinema--past and present--and finds the great ones, the really good ones, the overrated, etc. His writing is very accessible, and if you're a film buff you'll want to watch many of these movies you've never seen (and rewatch the ones you love). I also love his response to Pauline Kael!
Alan Keep
Jun 26, 2015 Alan Keep rated it it was ok
This is almost a little redundant considering how personal Sarris probably considered his ratings but the sort of confusion of quality as a director with distaste for the directors subjects or style is like very obvious and strangely contradicts his own supposed anti-moralism. The section on Ida Lupino and the general references to feminism as something to positively contrast directors against also just made me ill. Historically important and definitely a good source for neglected genre director ...more
Michael
Mar 07, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
A lot of this contains few cold facts (beyond who directed what and who was in it) and plenty of hot opinions. Fortunately for Sarris, I agree with most of them.
Mac
Jul 20, 2008 Mac rated it really liked it
Strong opinions (many of which I disagreed with), interesting organization--all major directors fit into various categories like "Expressive Esoterica" or "Less Than Meets the Eye"--a thought-provoking read
Alex Patterson
Alex Patterson marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Rock
Rock marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Logan Grant
Logan Grant rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
RetroHound
RetroHound rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Matthew Crouch
Matthew Crouch marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
нєνєℓ ¢ανα marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Ron
Ron added it
Mar 18, 2016
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Cris
Cris marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Masoud
Masoud rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
  • A Child of the Century
  • Cahiers Du Cinema, the 1950s: Neo-Realism, Hollywood, New Wave
  • A History of the French New Wave Cinema
  • Who the Devil Made It: Conversations With Legendary Film Directors
  • The Parade's Gone By...
  • Everything Is Cinema: The Working Life of Jean-Luc Godard
  • Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings
  • Roger Ebert's Book of Film: From Tolstoy to Tarantino, the Finest Writing From a Century of Film
  • The Films in My Life
Most famous for his 1962 essay "Notes on the Auteur theory" which popularized this film criticism technique in America. He wrote for the Village Voice criticing films and literature before bringing the Auteur theory from France to America and employing it in analysis of Hitchcock's film Psycho.
He wrote for The New York Observer until 2009 and was a professor at his alma mater, Columbia University
More about Andrew Sarris...