Start by marking “The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)

The Wilt Alternative (Wilt #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,824 ratings  ·  46 reviews
In this, the second of Tom Sharpe's chronicles about Henry Wilt, our hero is no longer the victim of his own uncontrolled fantasies. As Head of a reconstituted Liberal Studies Department he has assumed power without authority at the Fenland College of Arts & Technology and the fantasies he now confronts are those of political bigots and reactionary bureaucrats- in addi ...more
Published October 12th 1984 by Random House Vintage (first published July 30th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Wilt Alternative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wilt Alternative

The Great Pursuit by Tom SharpeWilt by Tom SharpeRiotous Assembly by Tom SharpeIndecent Exposure by Tom SharpeThe Wilt Alternative by Tom Sharpe
Best of Tom Sharpe
5th out of 11 books — 4 voters
Lamb by Christopher MooreGood Omens by Terry PratchettThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsA Dirty Job by Christopher MooreA Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Funniest Books of all time
66th out of 124 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria João Fernandes
"Wilt especulava sobre o paradoxo do progresso material e da decadência espiritual e, como de costume, não chegou a conclusão alguma."

A vida de Henry Wilt caminha sempre por linhas tortas. Tem mais dores de cabeça como presidente dos Estudos de Formação Geral do que quando era apenas um professor. Agora tem de lidar com os professores, além dos estudantes. Em casa as coisas não são muito melhores. Num novo bairro, numa nova casa, com um estatuto social mais elevado, Eva Wilt está mais entusiasma
David Smith
I think I may have outgrown Tom Sharpe. Funny - yes. But wanted to finish so I could turn to something more nutritious. Perhaps I was in the wrong frame of mind.
BookAmbler
I think this has got to be man’s humour, because it reminds me of that TV prog The Worst Week of My Life which my ex guffaws at, whilst I remain stony faced until my five minute cringe-threshold is reached, and then I have to leave the room.

I rarely give up on a book, but only read a third of this before I was getting too wound up to continue. Not a relaxing Sunday afternoon read! I do not find other people’s misfortunes funny. I do not find lack of communication funny. I do not find one incide
Mdemerteuil
Livre idéal pour les vacances, se lit très facilement.
Swanny
so funny, i cried
Sam
Very funny will certainley make you smile. In my opinion in terms of humour I found Wilt alternative more funny than Wilt, weather that is just down to the fact I get Tom sharpe humour more now or fact it was just genrally more funny to me I don't know. In the story Wilt is same old mellacholic self, despite fact he lives in much bigger house and has "quads". The story starts off with Wilt self loathing himself in beer after discovering a teacher in his depatment had made a student make love to ...more
Ray Kelly
Tom Sharpe's first book about Henry Wilt, simply called Wilt, was so funny that I was disappointed in the second saga. As usual nothing is easy in Wilt’s world, especially once it gets out that the coed is also an international terrorist. I don’t enjoy novels where the protagonist an unlikeable jerk. It’s hard to like him, although his long suffering wife Eva has a force of character that steals the show. For your own sake, read this only if you're a Sharpe fanatic.
Malena
Wilt ha ascendido en la escala social, hecho que no hace que deje de ser un incomprendido, y que le da la oportunidad, tanto a Wilt como a Tom Sharpe, de seguir sacando lo peor de la sociedad y estereotipos británicos. Igual de irónico, sincero e hilarante que Wilt, con un argumento si cabía aun más rocambolesco, garantiza la sonrisa constante del lector.
Michael

Tom Sharpe’s Henry Wilt returns. That should be enough to make any of his fans read on. But that’s not all. Eva is back as well, and in this 2nd Wilt book, the couple have been blessed with issue. Very blessed. With quadruplets! And to make Wilt’s life even better, they’re all girls. Bewildered as ever, Henry grasps for some sanity in his upside down world, and the only solution the beleaguered Department Head can come up with is to fall madly in love with the coed renting the apartment upstairs
Hugo Filipe
The first Wilt book was great, this one is not only too far fetched, it is also boring, since the wilt character is absent during a big part of the book.
David Szondy
Henry Wilt's life never seems to go quite right. Even though he's now head of liberal studies at his college, it gives him even more headaches than when he was a teacher because now he not only has to deal with crude students, but raving revolutionary instructors as well. His home life isn't much better. At his wife Eva's insistence, they now life in a great pile of a house where Eva can give full vent to her current enthusiasm for alternative living while their quadruplet daughters only become ...more
Kent
Fast paced farce. Dated language in places but worth the read. A terrific ridicule of terrorism.
Terry Ravenscroft
Not quite as good s Wilt, hence the 4 stars, but still funnier than 99 per cent of books in this genre.
Andrea
Really entertaining, although some part was a bit too much.
Oh, and the film (Wilt) is just too funny. It's on Youtube, you can watch it anytime!
Liz Horrey
Funniest book I've read in ages.
Mick Trevitt
Nowhere near as good as the first Wilt book.
No need to read any more in this series. I'm all Wilted out.
Elis
Tenía las expectativas muy altas con este libro, pero sabía que "Wilt" iba a ser muy difícil de superar y así ha sido. Sin embargo, he vuelto a disfrutar de las desventuras de esta familia tan peculiar, de la escritura de Sharpe, de los nuevos personajes, sobre todo de las cuatrillizas; y espero que las próximas locuras de Henry y Eva se mantengan en este nivel, "¡Ánimo, Wilt!"
Goncalo
O humor delirante de Sharpe regressa com Henry Wilt envolvido em nova aventura.

Desta vez é a estudante que aluga o sótão da nova casa, e uma impertinente roseira, que o remetem para o mundo do terrorismo.

Como é de esperar a boa disposição impera, a paciência do inspector Flint desespera, Eva é uma chaimite, e agora há também as quadrigémeas a atazanar o nosso herói.

Um must.
Jeffrey
Re-reading after many years. This follow on from the first book in the series, Wilt, is just as funny and delivers some genuine belly laughs from Tom Sharpe's usual high farce. Having read it before (several times!) I knew what was coming but Sharpe's style ensures it remains fresh, witty and humorous - the joy is in the delivery, not just the content.
Enrique Matías Sánchez
A very funny book that can be easily read in one stand.

I found myself laughing out loud several times (fortunately I was at home and not in a public library).

Thanks to their weird behaviour and implausible circunstances, the characters will be immersed in ridiculous situations, very well described by Sharpe's satyrical feather.
Stephanie Augustin
While some may say it is in the same vein as Wilt, this has the quads playing a fantastic supporting role. (And why not if Sharpe hits gold every time?) I have yet to erase the image of Wilt impersonating the People's Alternative Army. The joy of fucking with anti-terrorist squads. A tour de farce. And all I can say is : MORE.
Nticipate
I'm reading the WILT series because I've finished my David Lodge stack, and people said they're similar. They're not. I'd recommend Lodge to anyone who wants to have a fun time reading, anytime. This particular volume..not so much. Maybe the other 3 will change my option, I sure hope so!
Alberto Secades naves
It's amazing how Tom Sharpe describes all personages. And they don't change their values in all the unbelievable situations.
Hilarious, naughty, bold and fantasies of a mad mind.
Great for you, Tom
Kathy
This is as funny...if not funnier than "Wilt." I embarrassed my family in public with my hysterical laughter. Sharpe really taps into the dark side of my sense of humor.
Rael
At times excellent although often verging on farce and juvenile humour - easy read - similar to watching an engaging tv programme which I've not experienced from a book before.
Teddy
I did not appreciate the humor and kept waiting for it to get better, but it never did. I don't find humor in other people's misery and just found the book miserable.
Joaquim Alvarado
Amb diferència, el pitjor de la saga "Wilt". Els diàlegs memorables només surten esporàdicament i Sharpe esdevé menys incissiu que en els altres llibres de la sèrie.
Gary Murning
Okay -- dated and lacking subtlety, but it does what it says on the box, on the whole, so four stars (though I'm inclined towards three).
Harry Maier
What happens when a German undercover terrorist moves into the Wilt household as an exchange student? *Explosive* laughter.
Joe Stamber
Follow up to Wilt, not as good as the original, but I can't give it 5/10, so 3 stars will have to do.
Ligero y divertido 2 4 Jul 13, 2014 12:06PM
  • Kalooki Nights
  • This Other Eden
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • Pipsqueak
  • Aberystwyth Mon Amour (Aberystwyth Noir, #1)
  • The Ascent of Rum Doodle
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe...

Wilt (7 books)
  • Wilt (Wilt, #1)
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • Wilt In Nowhere (Wilt, #4)
  • The Wilt Inheritance (Wilt, #5)
  • Wilt / The Wilt Alternative
  • Wilt In Triplicate (Wilt, #1, #2, #3)
Wilt (Wilt, #1) Blott on the Landscape Porterhouse Blue (Porterhouse Blue, #1) Riotous Assembly (Piemburg, #1) Indecent Exposure

“The number of choirboys indecently assaulted annually by vicars and churchwardens may lead you to suppose that England is a deeply religious country. I” 2 likes