Start by marking “Les Liaisons Dangereuses” as Want to Read:
Les Liaisons Dangereuses
Preview

Les Liaisons Dangereuses

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The scandalous reputation of Laclos's novel, first published in 1782, is based on its chilling portrayal of the mannered decadence and sexual cynicism of the French aristocracy in the last years of the ancien regime.

Christopher Hampton has made a masterful adaptation for the stage of the conspiracy to corrupt a young girl barely out of her convent.
Published September 2nd 1985 by Faber & Faber (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Les Liaisons Dangereuses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Liaisons Dangereuses

Malcolm
Over the years I have seen many theatre productions of Pierre Choderlos de Laclos' master work, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, read more than one full translation of the novel, and seen both Steven Frears' film version, which uses Christopher Hampton's script, and Milos Forman's film version.

None of these prepare you for Hampton's script of Dangerous Liaisons.

Stripped of the movement and motion of a stage production, of the light and colour of film, and of the intervening narrative passages of the bo
Dark-Draco
This was a short, yet fascinating read. A tale of two French aristocrats, playing off each other as they scheme to bring ruin and revenge to perceived enemies. There's a glorious sense of decadence and deceit - the constant needling of the two protagonists is brilliant and there is a sense of humour that I wasn't expecting - the scene where Valmont writes to his target using a lover as a desk is just genius. This has made me want to read the full novel or see the play/film, as I really would lik ...more
Mike Jensen
Hampton's disturbing play from Pierre Choderlos de Laclos disturbing novel about games of emotional cruelty bouncing back on those who play them.
Cheri
I would give anything to go back in time and see the first production of this starring Alan Rickman, I'm sure he was fantastic as Le Vicomte de Valmont, and Fiona Shaw as Mme de Volanges sounds amazing. It's such a witty, well written play. The places where it breaks from period and uses modern vernacular are especially wonderful. It's one of the rare plays that's a good read and a great play in production.
Austin
Hampton's dramatic adaptation of de Laclos' classic epistolary novel is by nature an ambitious undertaking. While Hampton manages to artfully preserve and clarify the main lines of action, the indirect nature of the epistolary narrative comprises a good portion of the novel's charm. Better seen than read, if you are only familiar with the play or film, definitely read the novel.
Mary
Horrible, mean, vindictive...perfect theatre. I absolutely love this. Wonderful, awful characters. And this is a great adaptation. The only part I don't like is the end. I feel there should be much more of a 'comeupance' for Madame de M - all you get is the hint that the older lady knows the truth and the 'shadow of the guillotine'.
Megi
I like the time of the period that is used in this play, but for some reason I just don't like the relationships that characters have between each other. For me, it just too dramatic. Some people may love the idea of the whole betrayal and blackmailing people, but I'm not really fan of reading this type of readings.
E
Great play by Christopher Hampton, which was later made into the movie with Glenn Close and John Malkovich. The play is far more explicit and decadent, so truer to Laclos' intentions, and it has quite a few great one-liners. Valmont is an absolutely fantastic character, and so is the Marquise.
Liz Chapman
MMmm mmm. Sex, power, revenge, manipulation, and more sex. Mostly tastefully done, with a few exceptions, but an excellent "tragedy of manners" showing the disastrous results of perverting sex to be a tool of manipulation and power, rather than a means to express affection and commitment.
Rae
Very earthy. Pierre Choderlos de Laclos describes seduction and intrigue among the French Aristocracy in this minor classic. The book contains letters written from conspirers and lovers to their partners...with amusing plot tangles. Laclos' book was published in 1782.
Logan
This is one of my favorite plays. The script is smart, well-paced, and full of delicious barbs and wit. Plus, I'm a total sucker for a good period piece.
Keith
The movie was based on this script which was based on the original book. I also directed this back in college and think it is a great story.
Loni
Jan 17, 2012 Loni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
Hilarious! Such a good, appropriate ending. Well-constructed web of relationships and revelations. Drama. Very entertaining.
Underwater
A play should not be read, it should be seen. Nevertheless, I read this play, for class, and I enjoyed it well enough.
Carolyn Stevens Shank
This is a third reading of the Laclos classic...Each time I enjoy it more!
thegift
great play, compare to book, to film...all good.
Don
Don is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Stefanie Schauer
Stefanie Schauer marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Jennifer Coe
Jennifer Coe marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Lee Fort
Lee Fort marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
  • Some Girl(s)
  • Take Me Out: A Play
  • Nocturne: A Play
  • Metamorphoses
  • Naked Masks: Five Plays
  • I Hate Hamlet
  • Saved
  • Thom Pain (based on nothing)
  • The Complete Plays
  • Tea and Sympathy
  • The Unseen Hand and Other Plays
  • Ghosts and Other Plays (Ghosts; A Public Enemy; When We Dead Awake)
  • Dead Man's Cell Phone (TCG Edition)
  • The Essential Bogosian: Talk Radio / Drinking in America / Funhouse / Men Inside
  • Elizabeth Rex
  • Our Country's Good
  • The Philadelphia Story
  • Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mamma's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad
Christopher James Hampton CBE, FRSL is a British playwright, screen writer and film director. He is best known for his play based on the novel Les Liaisons dangereuses and the film version Dangerous Liaisons (1988) and also more recently for writing the nominated screenplay for the film adaptation of Ian McEwan's Atonement.

Hampton became involved in the theatre while studying German and French at
More about Christopher Hampton...
The Talking Cure Atonement: The Shooting Script Total Eclipse Carrington Tales from Hollywood

“Like most intellectuals he is intensely stupid.” 5 likes