Murder Without Borders: Dying for the Story in the World's Most Dangerous Places

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  4 reviews
“I am not interested in why man commits evil; I want to know why he does good.”
— Vaclav Havel

What makes a poor, small-town journalist stay on a story even though threatened with certain death, and offered handsome rewards for looking the other way?

Over four years, Terry Gould has travelled to Colombia, the Philippines, Bangladesh, Russia and Iraq – the countries in which...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Random House Canada

Carlyn Craig
This book was published in the USA with a different title, "Marked for Death: Dying for the Story in the World's Most Dangerous Places." There are a few reviews of this important and timely book listed under the alternate title.
Scott Harris
Terry Gould's account of journalists who have been murdered as a reaction to their work is surprising. The statistic quoted in the opening chapter is 720 journalists since 1992. This is a staggering number of executions. While he only highlights a few stories, from Columbia, Russia, Bangladesh and Iran, it is evident that honest journalism is in now way a safe profession in many countries and regions around the world. By helping draw attention to this, Gould is raising awareness with a few to st...more
Karen
This was a fascinating book about journalists who have been killed throughout the world. I hadn't spent a lot of time thinking about how dangerous being a journalist, and continuing to speak the true, is in so many places around the world. And that we so rarely think about or hear about it in North America.
Gayle
I didn't actually finish this book. It was interesting and I learned a lot, but it was also very political and a bit difficult to read. Just over halfway through, I decided not to read anymore.
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2012
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
Candace
Candace is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2012
Matias
Matias marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2012
Josh
Josh added it
Jun 23, 2012
kayla
kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2012
Jim
Jim added it
Mar 30, 2012
Aaron Benarroch
Aaron Benarroch marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2011
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2011
The Lifestyle: A Look at the Erotic Rites of Swingers Paper Fan: The Hunt for Triad Gangster Steven Wong Marked for Death: Dying for the Story in the World's Most Dangerous Places Matar a un periodista History of the Atkinson Morley's Hospital 1869-1995