Start by marking “Murder Without Borders: Dying for the Story in the World's Most Dangerous Places” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  9 reviews
“I am not interested in why man commits evil; I want to know why he does good.”
— Vaclav Havel

What makes a poor, small-town journalist stay on a story even though threatened with certain death, and offered handsome rewards for looking the other way?

Over four years, Terry Gould has travelled to Colombia, the Philippines, Bangladesh, Russia and Iraq – the countries in which
Published April 28th 2009 by Random House Canada

To ask other readers questions about Murder Without Borders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Without Borders

Rachel
I think it's a shame that this book has received so little attention. It's really an important (and timely) subject matter, and is a well-written book to boot. Gould documents the lives of seven journalists who defended their homes and their right to the truth with their lives. The author is careful to paint a fair and honest picture of the seven journalists--although heroic in their journalistic pursuits, they weren't all saints (one, for example, had killed a man in his younger years). While s ...more
Carlyn Craig
This book was published in the USA with a different title, "Marked for Death: Dying for the Story in the World's Most Dangerous Places." There are a few reviews of this important and timely book listed under the alternate title.
Zack
Please check my interesting review of this one here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-83...
Brittney
This review comes with the disclaimer that I didn’t actually read this book in the traditional sense. I chose to take advantage of the Toronto Public Library’s inventory of audiobooks, largely because I’ve been sucked into several podcasts (blah blah, about 10 years late, blah blah, Serial, blah blah) and decided that I don’t mind listening to people tell stories. I have come to the conclusion that the way people tell stories in good podcasts and the way people tell stories in audiobooks is not ...more
Scott Harris
Terry Gould's account of journalists who have been murdered as a reaction to their work is surprising. The statistic quoted in the opening chapter is 720 journalists since 1992. This is a staggering number of executions. While he only highlights a few stories, from Columbia, Russia, Bangladesh and Iran, it is evident that honest journalism is in now way a safe profession in many countries and regions around the world. By helping draw attention to this, Gould is raising awareness with a few to st ...more
Sidney Noble
The premise of the book is fantastic. However, the way it is written drove me crazy.

Each chapter is about a different journalist. The first page or two of each chapter would give you a synoposis of what the rest of the chapter would go into detail on. Those first pages didn't leave any cliffhangers. I felt like it was repeatative and that I could read the first couple of page of each chapter and know what happened with each journalist.
Karen
This was a fascinating book about journalists who have been killed throughout the world. I hadn't spent a lot of time thinking about how dangerous being a journalist, and continuing to speak the true, is in so many places around the world. And that we so rarely think about or hear about it in North America.
Alicia
Interesting subject matter, about journalists dying in countries like the Philippines, Columbia and Russia, but ultimately repetitive (it covers more than six journalists) and honestly, not very well written. Though it is non-fiction, that doesn't mean you have to ignore narrative flow completely.
Gayle
I didn't actually finish this book. It was interesting and I learned a lot, but it was also very political and a bit difficult to read. Just over halfway through, I decided not to read anymore.
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Eric Liggett
Eric Liggett marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Pantoja
Pantoja marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
S Hinchcliffe
S Hinchcliffe marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Joana
Joana marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Mister Cat
Mister Cat marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Firefly
Firefly marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Lifestyle: A Look at the Erotic Rites of Swingers Paper Fan: The Hunt for Triad Gangster Steven Wong Worth Dying For: Canada's Mission to Train Police in the World's Failing States History of the Atkinson Morley's Hospital 1869-1995 The Little Book of Maths Outdoors: Little Books with Big Ideas