Start by marking “Murder Without Borders: Dying for the Story in the World's Most Dangerous Places” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
“I am not interested in why man commits evil; I want to know why he does good.”
— Vaclav Havel

What makes a poor, small-town journalist stay on a story even though threatened with certain death, and offered handsome rewards for looking the other way?

Over four years, Terry Gould has travelled to Colombia, the Philippines, Bangladesh, Russia and Iraq – the countries in which
Published April 28th 2009 by Random House Canada

To ask other readers questions about Murder Without Borders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Without Borders

Rachel
Dec 16, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's a shame that this book has received so little attention. It's really an important (and timely) subject matter, and is a well-written book to boot. Gould documents the lives of seven journalists who defended their homes and their right to the truth with their lives. The author is careful to paint a fair and honest picture of the seven journalists--although heroic in their journalistic pursuits, they weren't all saints (one, for example, had killed a man in his younger years). While s ...more
Carlyn Craig
Aug 11, 2010 Carlyn Craig rated it it was amazing
This book was published in the USA with a different title, "Marked for Death: Dying for the Story in the World's Most Dangerous Places." There are a few reviews of this important and timely book listed under the alternate title.
Zack
Aug 15, 2009 Zack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please check my interesting review of this one here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-83...
Brittney
Jan 20, 2015 Brittney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This review comes with the disclaimer that I didn’t actually read this book in the traditional sense. I chose to take advantage of the Toronto Public Library’s inventory of audiobooks, largely because I’ve been sucked into several podcasts (blah blah, about 10 years late, blah blah, Serial, blah blah) and decided that I don’t mind listening to people tell stories. I have come to the conclusion that the way people tell stories in good podcasts and the way people tell stories in audiobooks is not ...more
Adam Morris
The subject of the book is interesting for so many reasons. These journalists recognized the dangers and yet continued their work each one with a unique justification or rationale. And what really blows your mind is that the people in the stories in this book represent only a tiny fraction of journalists who are murdered for what they have written on just about every continent.
The author has done a terrific job of discovering the facts and reconstructing the circumstances. Unfortunately his writ
Scott Harris
Mar 01, 2012 Scott Harris rated it it was amazing
Terry Gould's account of journalists who have been murdered as a reaction to their work is surprising. The statistic quoted in the opening chapter is 720 journalists since 1992. This is a staggering number of executions. While he only highlights a few stories, from Columbia, Russia, Bangladesh and Iran, it is evident that honest journalism is in now way a safe profession in many countries and regions around the world. By helping draw attention to this, Gould is raising awareness with a few to st ...more
Sidney Rodriguez
The premise of the book is fantastic. However, the way it is written drove me crazy.

Each chapter is about a different journalist. The first page or two of each chapter would give you a synoposis of what the rest of the chapter would go into detail on. Those first pages didn't leave any cliffhangers. I felt like it was repeatative and that I could read the first couple of page of each chapter and know what happened with each journalist.
Karen
Feb 12, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating book about journalists who have been killed throughout the world. I hadn't spent a lot of time thinking about how dangerous being a journalist, and continuing to speak the true, is in so many places around the world. And that we so rarely think about or hear about it in North America.
Alicia
Interesting subject matter, about journalists dying in countries like the Philippines, Columbia and Russia, but ultimately repetitive (it covers more than six journalists) and honestly, not very well written. Though it is non-fiction, that doesn't mean you have to ignore narrative flow completely.
Gayle
Feb 28, 2012 Gayle rated it liked it
I didn't actually finish this book. It was interesting and I learned a lot, but it was also very political and a bit difficult to read. Just over halfway through, I decided not to read anymore.
Rucoma
Rucoma rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Michelle Morgan daa
Michelle Morgan daa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Leslie Gould
Leslie Gould rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Dg Noc
Dg Noc marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Mike Silva
Mike Silva rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
CiderandRedRot
CiderandRedRot marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Marta Bleta
Marta Bleta rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Sylvan Library
Sylvan Library marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Ken Vanderoef
Ken Vanderoef rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Lorena
Lorena is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2015
Laura added it
Oct 29, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Amar Baines
Amar Baines marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015