Start by marking “The Secrets of the Bulletproof Spirit: How to Bounce Back from Life's Hardest Hits” as Want to Read:

When life deals you a particularly difficult blow or a staggering loss, how do you handle it? If you’re like most, you might think Why me?, struggle to find your way, or lash out at those around you. But there are a select few who seem emotionally hardier, who are able to face life’s physical, emotional, and financial hits undeterred and perhaps even forge ahead, empowered ...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of the Bulletproof Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of the Bulletproof Spirit

Cory
Feb 27, 2009 Cory rated it it was ok
It would appear that my spirit is already pretty darned bulletproof, so a lot of things in this book struck me as being pretty "duh!" They also do that thing that I hate where they put something in a little sidebar box, but it's DIRECTLY quoted from the rest of the text. Don't waste a sidebar with something that you've already said!

All in all, I think this book would be helpful for people who might be a bit more pessimistic than I (because I'm freakishly optimistic), or who are in the throes of
adllto
Oct 15, 2010 adllto rated it really liked it
Shelves: ologies, theology, sophies
This book is difficult to categorize. It's definitely not theology but has a lot to say in the area of spirituality and even relevance to the Christian believer. It's not psychology but it speaks to a person's inner life and their response to emotional troubles. It's not philosophy but has a lot to say about the way we think and process life.

It's all about how can we be different so we can recover from life's tough blows. It is about resilience both emotional and spiritual.When we are hit by dis
Heather
Nov 02, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: tried-to-read
I tried to read it. I really did. It's getting fairly decent reviews here and elsewhere.

But I found it such appalling drivel: I bounced back and you can, too! type of stuff. Cheerleaders who give you to facts of their loss without any of the real feeling of the devastation. Maybe these "bulletproof" people are really tougher than I am. But as the highly sensitive and sensate type, this book didn't work at all for me. I only got into the second or third chapter before I started to realize that I
Jul 25, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Azim Khamisa has been a long time client of mine. I continue daily to be in awe of his passion, spirit, and compassion. This is a man making a huge difference in our world. We all experience tough times in our life - this is a wonderful book to keep handy for inspiration during such times. And I personally have made changes in my own life after reading this book.
Keri
Nov 08, 2009 Keri rated it really liked it
Mr. Azim Khamisa spoke to our community in May 2009 after we heard him as a keynote speaker at the statewide EOPS/CARE conference in Oct. 2008. His son Tariq's story is powerful. The lessons are about forgiveness and living a meaningful life. The mission of his organization can be found at http://tkf.org/
Bobbi Taniguchi
Oct 31, 2012 Bobbi Taniguchi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read, though I wasn't able to read it all yet. Totally agree on the importance of regular spiritual time so that when the crisis strikes you aren't brittle and break. Doesn't matter what your religious bent (atheists included). The spirit is something Americans need to nourish more. Good point.
Terri
Feb 20, 2013 Terri rated it really liked it
Azim Khamisa has emerged from tragedy with insight to help us all. Life will be full of hard hits, and this book helps you develop the resilient spirit so that the hits don't knock you off balance.
Alina Loveland
Apr 11, 2015 Alina Loveland rated it it was ok
A little obvious, very preachy, and very 'one size fits all'. But a few good points which it doesn't hurt to be reminded of.
Kira vizcaino
Kira vizcaino rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Libba Ti
Libba Ti rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
G.H. Monroe
G.H. Monroe rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2009
Kirt S. Davis
Kirt S. Davis rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Jenelle
Jenelle rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2013
cat news
cat news rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2009
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Ginger
Ginger rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Tee Bee
Tee Bee rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Meann
Meann rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it did not like it
May 10, 2010
srebrenka
srebrenka rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Greta
Greta rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2010
Maryann Pasda DiEdwardo
Maryann Pasda DiEdwardo rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2011
Jenna Petty
Jenna Petty rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Brenda Hathaway
Brenda Hathaway rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2017