Start by marking “The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)

The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard #4)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  910 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Two ancient cultures, a lost treasure from the distant past: what powerful secrets does it conceal--and how far will some go to possess them? Dive into a new full-throttle hunt from master of the action-adventure thriller David Gibbins, as he unleashes...
The trail starts in the Roman ruins and leads to a shipwreck off the coast of Egypt. Soon the world's top marine archae
Published June 23rd 2009 by Bantam Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiger Warrior

Marla
I liked this one the best, after the very first one(cause really, after Atlantis everything would be downhill). It had things that I disliked from the other books so I'll try not to be negative and go into them again. =)

There were flashbacks to two different time periods and I wouldn't mind reading more, fuller, stories about those time periods. Though the characters do pretty much piece together what happened(somewhat annoyingly, okay, so I went into it a little =P). And the mystery of the jewe
Patrick Gibson
Why do I do it? This is my third book by David Gibbons—and I like them less and less. I keep thinking: a real archaeologist writing an adventure novel, how perfect. If I were smart enough I would BE an archaeologist. I also want to be Dirk Pitt or Kurt Austin. So what’s the problem? He’s a good writer—what don’t I like? Um . . . how about ‘boring?’ You can’t just throw in a ton of facts and expect them to be interesting. Besides, how will we, the great unwashed, differentiate between what the au ...more
Richard Gazala
David Gibbins' novel, The Tiger Warrior, reveals the author is an intelligent, educated and worldly man. The novel brims with historical and archaeological facts and theories spanning in time and place from the birth of the unified Chinese empire in 221 BCE to Caesarean Rome to British colonial rule on the Indian subcontinent to present day Afghanistan. Most of these facts and hypotheses are intriguing, and all are patently the result of Gibbins' commendably deep research, study and thought.

Unfo
The Cats Mother
This is written by an archeologist who writes books, rather than a novelist, and it shows. It's about a marine archeologist called Jack (aren't all heroes nowadays?) who travels to various exotic locations to uncover a mystery surrounding some roman legionaries and a chinese emperor, and his own ancestor. There's a shady enemy in the background, with fairly impausible motivation, the Tiger Warrior himself, and what looks like a romance in there which doesn't come to anything.
There was lots of em
Stephen
I've read other reviews of this book and some rated this book very poorly. Everyone is welcome to his opinion, but for me I like the flow of The Tiger Warrior. I like the amount of history and legend that is put into the book. Gibbins continues to lure in his audience and keep it enthralled as he weaves a web of history and myth. The Tiger Warrior takes our hero away to the East. He looks into the possibility of a grave robbery of the very first Chinese Emporer. I will not spoil the story with m ...more
Melbourne on my mind
Look, the premise for the story is great. Lost Roman legion ends up in China as slaves, but eventually escape and make it as far as India? Pretty awesome. But the execution was never quite there for me. It was trying to tie three different stories together - the Roman legion, Jack Howard's ancestor in late 19th century India, and Jack Howard in the present - and didn't really deliver on any of them.

There was far too much description and very little actual action. And what action there was prett
Josh
Sep 25, 2011 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Gibbins and adventure/historical novels
I can not for the life of me figure out why it takes me so long to read a novel by David Gibbins. They aren't poorly written, overly dull, or off-topic from what I usually read. I just seem to read his books during periods of time when I find myself incredibly busy with outside events. Having said all that, I did like the book which is a departure from the three previous novels in this adventure series. The main character, Jack Howard, is a marine archeologist, and thusly, the novels generally t ...more
Linn
Sep 22, 2010 Linn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who's interested
Recommended to Linn by: No one
I haven’t finished it yet, but it seems to be a nice book, just like the other ones. However, the prologue is a bit long, and at times I didn’t really stay put. Once I started the reading, the main chapters that is, it suddenly started to become more interesting. For some years now I’ve been really fascinated in the Eastern Asian history and culture, so this book has been good just cause of that. Sure, loads of it is speculation and just pure imagination, but it’s still very interesting.

I did h
Paul Doyle
The story was decent. I guess that is why I got back to these even as they frustrate me. The concepts are good, and there is even some good, like the background written as flashbacks.
But the dialogue continues to turn into lectures: "Rembember when in profesor so and so's class"
"Oh yeah,...." for the next several pages. There are other ways to get that same message across.
A few other comments:
Note to David Gibbins' editor. It is not necessary to repeat Jack's great, great, grandfather every 5th
Gail Kavanagh
I love oceanic archeology, land archeology, tomb raiders, ancient mysteries - you name it. I had never heard of the lost Roman Legion that is believed to have travelled into Asia after losing a hopeless battle, so with a title that promised all I loved, how could I resist?

Never read a book by this author either, so I was plunged straight into unknown territory. It's an archeology geek's book. Short on characterisation, long on history. More talk than action. But for all that, I enjoyed it. I pre
Matt Kelland
I love a good archeology adventure, and this has all the right ingredients, but falls short of my expectations. It doesn't have the wild exuberance of Indy, the rattling pace of Cussler, or the intricate unraveling of Dan Brown. I enjoyed it, but I had hoped for more.

It says much that I was more interested in the archeological end notes than the story. Ho hum.
Amanda
I wish I could have given it no stars...
Synopsis:
Modern-day diver/archaeologist goes in search of the truth behind his ancestor's life/death and on the way discovers treasures and links between the Romans and the Chinese.

What utter tosh!! The story was preposterous - that Jack Howard would find all these things; that they were even there to be found; that an academic department would have at their disposal boats, planes, helicopters etc...
The main characters were more Bond-like than Bond (but wi
Mike Hood
Takes a long time to get to the action- tons of back story and back n forth. But when it happens- it happens well.
Titas (Emperor)
My brain hurts! Do I really need all these unnecessary informations?
description
I was a bit apprehensive to read this book. I bought it on sale because it sounded interesting, and then checked out the goodreads reviews before starting. Wow. No one likes this book. And neither do I!
Although the history is interesting, the book just takes forever to get going. Not only that, but I think David Gibbins is completely ADD - he takes these tangents that get you excited at first, but eventually you just get annoyed because they never lead anywhere. Basically, it's a book with ten d
Ronald Hilbert
Hard to get into for the first few chapters but got better the more I read.
Sukanya Kaur
This is a great book to read if you love reading about ancient stuff, treasure hunting, ruins and history. I enjoyed reading this book.
Iya
I was realllly surprised reading all the negative and "not so amazing" reviews. I personally loved it. I literally couldn't put it away. It was a real page-turner. Two different story lines are skillfully put together and kept me intrigued till the last page. The book was interesting to read, because you learn a lot of fascinating facts from the history of different cultures(i personally googled a lot of stuff while reading it). Though you have to draw a line between facts and fiction. To put it ...more
Kim
I definitely didn't enjoy this one as much as The Last Gospel but it wasn't a bad book. Far less action than in others and the ending was pretty crap. Felt like nothing was resolved at all. This book was really more about the author wanting to fictionalize one his ancestors and tie his family to some great part of history.

On the positive side it fired my interest in India and has lead me to plan a trip there this year.
Vincent
The writer drew a huge picture of unrecorded history. Endless Mythology, but dull. The book could have been finished in less than 350 pages.
Jacqi
This Jack Howard book was a little bit harder for me to grasp, but it is still extremely good. Instead of focusing on the history of Europe and such, this book takes us to China and the surrounding areas. Also, Rebecca, Jack's daughter, is formally introduced in this book, having been alluded to near the end of "The Lost Tomb." It was fantastic to travel with Jack, Rebecca, and Costas as they followed the footsteps of one of Jack's ancestors into the sometimes deadly realms in China.
Nadia
Grosse deception après avoir lu Le Masque de Troie .... ce livre se laisse lire mais beaucoup de longueur, je n'ai pas accroché .... dommage ...
Bon, on reprend les mêmes ingrédients, cette fois entre la légion perdue de César et la présence anglaise en Inde .... 2 nouvelles pages d'histoire à visiter (ceci fort intéressant) ...

Je ne renie pas cet auteur cependant dont je vais essayer de me procurer Atlantis qui paraît-il est son chef d'oeuvre .....
Liz_mo
Mike
I quit reading this book when I found myself skipping more and more parts to get to anything interesting. I started out skipping the historical parts, then more and more of the contemporary ones.I found the first few of the author's books to be OK, but I've been losing interest more quickly in each succeeding volume. I doubt I'll finish this one try another. Interesting premise for the story, though. I'll give two stars for that.
Lbd
I really enjoy the adventures of Jack Howard and Costas. I try not to make more of the adventure than what is on the page. The scenes are dramatic and filled with details that can take your imagination to the places Gibbons is writing about. Tiger Warrior gave some interesting twists to what might have happened to the 15th Legionaires as well as the First Emperor. A lot of what ifs and maybe's, but mostly a high adventure.
Emily
Christian Barraza
I'll be honest, I really didn't enjoy this book. To me, it just felt like a cheap copy of a Clive Cussler novel...with all the good parts taken out. I mean, I appreciate the history lesson but don't get me wrong. If I read a novel, I want a little action. When I feel like learning about ancient history, I'll pick up a book for that. Still, all in all, I didn't fall asleep during the reading.
Fredrick Danysh
Just before the time of Christ a Roman legion is destroyed in the Middle East. Survivors are enslaved and a handful escape after years of captivity and find a sacred treasure trove. In modern time, Jack follows the ancient Silk Road with his daughter in archeological exploration. On his way to India they and their companions encounter ancient evil.
Lea Locke
This was probably my least favorite book of the series. It just didn't seem to meld together as well as his other stories.....too many pieces he tried to fit together. Although I still enjoyed the book and the interesting history that you always get with Gibbins, this was by far a let down after "The Lost Tomb" which has been my absolute favorite.
David
Despite all the great story ideas David Gibbings comes up with I always feel unsatisfied by the time I finish the book. There are times I feel that Gibbings is only writing fiction so he can tease out some of these speculations and shove in tons of stuff on technology most archaeologists could only dream of. Nice ideas but no resolution.
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)
  • The Sacred Blood
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Prophecy (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #5)
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • Leviathan (Event Group Thriller #4)
  • The Marks Of Cain
Canadian-born underwater archaeologist and novelist. Gibbins learned to scuba dive at the age of 15 in Canada, and dived under ice, on shipwrecks and in caves while he was still at school. He has led numerous underwater archaeology expeditions around the world, including five seasons excavating ancient Roman shipwrecks off Sicily and a survey of the submerged harbour of ancient Carthage. In 1999- ...more
More about David Gibbins...

Jack Howard (8 books)
  • Atlantis (Jack Howard, #1)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)
  • Pharaoh  (Jack Howard, #7)
  • Pyramid (Jack Howard, #8)
Atlantis (Jack Howard, #1) Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2) The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3) The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5) The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)