Start by marking “The Game of Life and How to Play It” as Want to Read:
The Game of Life and How to Play It

The Game of Life and How to Play It

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  2,270 ratings  ·  162 reviews
With her classic book, THE GAME OF LIFE AND HOW TO PLAY IT, Florence Scovel Shinn established herself as one of the most down-to-earth, practical, and helpful prosperity writers of her era. With a timeless message and the ability to explain success principles and how they work in an entertaining style, her writings are still considered the leaders in prosperity literature ...more
Published September 1st 1979 by DeVorss & Company (first published November 30th 1926)

The Power of Now by Eckhart TolleYou have the Power for Incredible Success. Manifesting Success. by Tessy RawlinsThe Path of Prosperity by James AllenThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillThe Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel
New Thought
6th out of 61 books — 11 voters
کيمياگر by Paulo Coelhoکافه پیانو by فرهاد جعفریروی ماه خداوند را ببوس by مصطفی مستورThe Secret by Rhonda Byrneبامداد خمار by فتانه حاج سیدجوادی
کتاب‌های الکی معروف
29th out of 48 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Dawn
My Mom originally found this book at a random restaurant. She fell in love with and gave a copy to many people. Fifteen years later life was kicking me in the pants and I saw the book on her shelf and read it for the first time. For me this book is life transforming. I continue to read it as I need to and I have memorized specific mediations. I hope this book will bring the same peace to you as it brought to me.
Allison
Remember The Secret? Oprah made a big thing about it a few years ago, and it become an international bestseller. This book came out in the 1920’s, but makes the same claims. Both are about how your thoughts and words will manifest themselves in your life. If you constantly worry about being hit by a bus, you will manifest yourself into getting hit by a bus. These books claim that the opposite is also true, and can therefore imagine your way to wealth, true love, and happiness.

I started reading T
Anna
Everyone should read this book at least once in their life time. I have read this book and re read this book a dozen times. Food for thought!!
Titilayo Ogunmakinwa
The book offers a very positive perspective. A very easy read that can be read time and time again for consistent motivation and in order to help stay focused.
Ahsan
Sublime!

It is easy to view this book as a precursor to positive thinking or NLP movements on the surface, but what it is really doing is delivering a universal message using Christian metaphors.

The keystone of Florence Scovel's book are: Faith, Nonresistance (to Fortune or Divine purpose) and Love. These are elucidated with anecdotes, but these are more for the purpose of illustration than as evidence.

You will either agree or disagree. Each person will judge the message for themselves, but I wil
Fatima Al Sairafi
“The game of life is a game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy.” This quote practically sums up the purpose of the book. Although Shinn uses a lot of biblical references to prove her arguments, I believe that her philosophies can be applied to all people with different faiths. She uses a lot of real life examples to prove her points which I loved since most people can relate to the examples she referred to.

Shinn mentions that throu
Maggie
at first blush, i didn't like this book b/c i totally do not agree with the "manifestation" belief system so prevalent today. it is a very small god, made in our own self-serving image, who can be made to do the bidding of our petty desires: the gimmee-gimmee god.

however, i do believe in grace and in being open to grace and goodness; and i certainly believe in right behavior, esp. as zen buddhism defines it.

this book, on first blush, seemed to focus totally on the power of an individual -- thro
Chamique Holdsclaw
I still can't believe this book was written 80 years ago. Shinn was definitely before her time. I love the fact she used examples to help you grasp the biblical content. This book reinforced fearless faith, opening ones heart, an allowing the superconscious mind to lead us.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Florence wrote her book in 1925 and I didn't know how lucid or practical the book would be and I was indeed in for a lovely surprise. The book reads so well, easily understood, lucid in style, practical and applicable in every way. It feels as if a compassionate mother is sitting with me and taking me by the hand and instructing me in order to apply my faith. Most important lesson Momma Florence has taught me is that God is my supply, and there is a supply for every demand. I have to confess tha ...more
Lisa
If Rhonda Byrne's THE SECRET had been written with a Christian bent, in a primarily Christian age and culture like the 20's, and contained only author anecdotes about people rather than by the people themselves, you would have this book: THE GAME OF LIFE AND HOW TO PLAY IT.

The author, Florence Scovel-Shinn, centers her book on the basic premise of the "law of attraction," which is also set forth by other famous authors/presenters such as Ester and Jerry Hicks. The idea, supported by many exampl
Danijel Brestovac
The game of life and how to play it

ch 1- Most people consider life a battle, but it is not a battle it is a game. It is a game however it can not be played successfully without the knowledge of spiritual law.

Ch 5- the law of carma and the law of forgiveness : man recieve only that which he gives. The game of life is the game of boomerangs. Man thoughts, deeds and words return to him sooner or latery with outstandings accuracy.

Ch 7- if you fear a lion, you must run toward him, because the fear
The Book
I don't know what I was expecting, but not this.

I don't even believe in God really, and I wouldn't ask Jesus for stuff.

But when I read this book, all I could think was YES. YES. THIS IS HOW IT IS.

Amazing stuff, I will be reading this over and over. This little book has some really profound answers and I wish I'd learned these lessons a little earlier. No matter, I'm learning them now.

I believe in the Universe.
Tahnia
Wow this book was a timely gift to myself, read it in exactly 24 hrs and feel reborn. Loved it, it just makes sense. Read with open heart and mind.

"Divine love dissolves and dissipates all wrong conditions in my mind, body and affairs, Divine love is the most powerful chemical in the universe..."
Tracey
Repeat after me “I will do wonderful work for wonderful pay.” And within just a few weeks of saying and believing this, you will get a big fat raise. This is the divine right.

If only it was that easy.

Robin Donnelly
I believe our minds are very powerful and it believes what we tell it. I know people who have a lack mentality and therefore will never have enough and I believe their focus perpetuates more of the same for them. I also know people who are consumed with a diagnosis until they are the walking talking billboard for that diagnosis and they can't focus on anything else. I've never been one into denial but I am certainly willing to circumvent negative emotions and thoughts to manifest something bette ...more
Jo Ledamun
What a load of old tosh!

I know many people may disagree & I DO NOT MEAN TO INSULT, but.......

I did not like this book at all - admittedly I was a bit skeptical about it from the beginning, but I wanted to give it a go, so I gave it my best shot!

The 3 best things about this book is that it's short and sweet, well written & the authors viewpoint/argument is easy to comprehend! But in MY OPINION, I think what Florence Scovel-Shinn suggests & argues about in her book about wealth, happin
Alexander Clawson
There are bits of hidden and isolated wisdom in this book. I like the intention of the book, which is to change one's attitude or outlook, but the majority of this book is total nonsense with zero scientific or historical backing. It's examples are ill described, and all follow the same structure. "For example: a person had a problem. This person applied said advice. Eventually the problem was solved because of said advice." Whether the advice be thinking something or saying something. It is as ...more
Winnie
I read this book recently as it was a gift from a friend and found I enjoyed it very much. It was written in the 1920s and yet it still has a lot of relevance today. I believe its philosophy, though I don't entirely agree with it, is positive and helpful to many who may have found themselves in a rut or a negative state of mind. One thing that struck me about this book was how similar it was to a more recent self-help book -- 'The Secret.' After reading this book, it's pretty obvious that 'The S ...more
Ni'Kesia
This is a great book for anyone looking to open up their way of thinking. Good for those who are Christians and believers in God's good works.
L
Karl
With all of mylengthy reviews thus far, I think it is time to make one short and sweet, well at least short and not bitter=;0)

Written in 1925, by one of the few females in the New Thought/New Age/Self-Help genre at the time, Florence Scovel Shinn’s first book, “The Game of Life and How to Play It” made for an informative read. Certainly, some of the examples and societal norms have changed in the 90 years since it was written; however, the wisdom contained on the pages of the aforementioned titl
Missie
The Game of Life and How to Play It by Florence Scovel Shinn is considered a "prosperity classic". This is a short read I added into the line of books I am currently reading just to get a break from the therapeutic mental work. I was intrigued because this book was originally published in 1925, so I wanted to see how it compared to other "prosperity" writings I have read. This book was obviously a source for many modern writers, but also offered some new insights to me and information on spiritu ...more
Adriana
Awesome book! Centers on the flow of the energies of the universe and woman's spirituality , but it applies to everybody. It has a lot of the ideas found in 'The Secret' by Rhonda Byrne which comes to show that you don't have to read all the books ever written to get a lot of knowledge, you just have to pick the right ones, because many ancient ideas are still recycled in today's books
Queenie
It gives me the ideas how to live in hope and peace that also open my mind to step back and look at situations with calmness. However, in order to make a long term life transformation, I must stick with and keep reminding myself with these ideas everyday.
Heather Dolland
This book was gifted to me in February 2003. It was not the most fun time in my life and I read it with a very open mind. I realized that I needed to do a lot of things differently.

A book like this will only be as receptive as the reader. I can tell you, 11 years later, my life is unrecognizable! I have since gifted it to numerous people and will never get rid of the copy that was gifted to me.

This was the first book that I read in this category that set me on a path of discovery and realizati
Maurynne  Maxwell
A good example of the genre with a lot of real-life examples a la Catherine Ponder, and more of a scripture-based approach. I recently re-read it, I'm sure I read it at some point in my 20s, because I internalized some of it.
Jan
I have a soft spot for this book because - years ago - someone dear to me recommended it. It is old style and uses the word God a lot, but if you can get past that it is charming.
Lindsey
I had very mixed feelings about this book. I never read The Secret, but this seems to have the same idea, only the author relies on God, not "the universe" and there is scripture quoted throughout. There were a lot of weird parts (reincarnation, anyone?) but then other parts of the book were amazingly astute and profound. I just tried to take the good and leave the rest. Overall, a thought-provoking, quick read.

Here is a quote I liked: "Jesus Christ said: 'Why are ye fearful, oh ye of little fa
Michael
The Secret before somebody called it The Secret. What you say and what you think is what manifests in your life.
Joyce
Although this book is many different things to different people, for me it was a very empowering read. Many logical reminders that everything is gonna be OK! This book is full of useful content about ways to make simple adjustments to your thinking and actions...how to realize big changes with simple efforts. I went through more than one hi lighter and I am not one to highlight in books. As soon as I finished reading it, I was ready to reread. It's a keeper. I will want to read parts of it frequ ...more
  • The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity
  • Prosperity
  • The Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • Infinite Possibilities: The Art of Living Your Dreams
  • The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know
  • Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • Spiritual Growth: Being Your Higher Self
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent
  • The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money, and Miracles
  • Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts: Using the Power of Pleasure to Have Your Way with the World
چهار اثر از فلورانس اسکاول شین Wisdom of Florence Scovel Shinn Writings of Florence Scovel Shinn Your Word is Your Wand: A Sequel to the Game of Life and How to Play It The Secret Door to Success

“Most people consider life a battle, but it is not a battle, it is a game.” 9 likes
“Bills should be paid cheerfully, all money should be sent forth fearlessly and with a blessing.” 1 likes