Start by marking “Sophie and the New Baby” as Want to Read:
Sophie and the New Baby

Sophie and the New Baby

Sophie likes to play with her rag doll, but then her mother tells her the big, important secret. "Soon you'll have a real live person to play with. We're going to have a new baby".Sophie likes this idea, but the baby takes so long to arrive that she sometimes forgets all about it. When her new brother is finally born, he's quite a disappointment. He can't play with Sophie, ...more
Published October 5th 2000 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published June 20th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sophie and the New Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophie and the New Baby

Linda McCarry
Aug 26, 2013 Linda McCarry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 3rd Book Review: Sophie And The New Baby
By: Catherine and Laurence Anholt

This is a sweet and innocent story about a little girl called Sophie and the moment her parents tell her they are going to have a new baby. Sophie is about 4 years old and has a rag doll that she brings everywhere with her and talks to her like any young child does with their toys. The doll is Sophie's best friend. Sophie is very eager and excited when her parents tell her the "BIG IMPORTANT SECRET" about a new a
Xiaoting
Feb 24, 2015 Xiaoting rated it really liked it
I think that this picture book prepare for every new big brother or sister.The audiences of this book is very clear.
Firstly, i was attract by the pictures. The pictures of this book is very soft and clear. I like this style. In this book, I can recognize the spring, summer, fall and winter from those pictures. Through those color change, i can feel the Sophie's emotion change.
Secondly, the plot of this picture book also attract me. I have a big sister. I also want to know my sister feeling w
Andi Martineau
Sep 17, 2012 Andi Martineau rated it liked it
While on a walk one spring day with her parents Sophie gets told some big news. She is going to be a big sister in the winter. Sophie waits and waits and waits for her little brother to come. She plays with her parents and her doll every day. Then on the first snow of the winter Sophie goes downstairs with her dad and her baby brother is born. At first Sophie loved her baby brother and had fun holding him and watching him. But at time went on her brother was always crying and getting all of her ...more
Rachael
Jan 22, 2009 Rachael rated it it was amazing
I've been seeking out lots of "new baby" books, in preparation for the birth of our second child, and there are certainly MANY. This one, to me, is a standout because it depicts, through the changing of the seasons, the different stages that an older sibling might go through: anticipating the birth of the baby, being fascinated with the newborn, resenting when the sibling takes up too much of Mommy and Daddy's time, and eventually learning to love the baby.

I've read several books that deal with
Rachel Rouleau
One of the better ones we've read so far about a new baby joining the family. Sweet, realistic, and comforting.
Diana S
A lovely story. Perfect to help get my granddaughter ready for her new baby brother. :)
Kelly Morgan
Dec 02, 2012 Kelly Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book discussed Sophie and her new baby brother. It was spring time when her parents told her about the new baby. Sophie was excited in the beginning, but when her baby brother came, she was not so happy. Her patents talked to her about being a big sister and she soon began to help her parents. This Book is for students who maybe sad about having a new sibling.
Dana Jones
Aug 28, 2007 Dana Jones rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Preschool
Shelves: childrensbooks
This book realistically describes the arrival of a new baby in the house. The older sibling is at first excited and then jealous of the new baby, who demands all her parent's attention and can't even play with her yet. This is a good book to help children express how they REALLY feel about a new baby brother/sister. The illustrations are beautiful.
Nanci
Jan 18, 2008 Nanci rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice story of how a young girl looks forward to the new baby in the house and how it is not as nice as she thought--when he cries, when mom and dad don't notice her because baby is taking the attention, and how eventually she likes her brother. The changing of the seasons are part of the story and add an additional component.
Suzanne
Jun 13, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Perfect to help big kids adjust to babies in the family. I like how Sophie gets angry and sad about the new baby. The only new-sibling book I found with a breastfeeding mom.
Harper
Apr 04, 2009 Harper rated it liked it
I thought this book was cute and a good way to get Harper ready for the new baby (due in two months). Harper seems to enjoy the book, but not totally into it.
Joshua Malapitan
Joshua Malapitan marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 12, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2016
Joshua White
Joshua White marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Lovelygwen
Lovelygwen marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
M
M added it
Mar 07, 2016
Taiyou
Taiyou rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Nicole
Nicole added it
Dec 30, 2015
Jessi
Jessi rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Brandy Roe
Brandy Roe marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Suzy
Suzy added it
Sep 12, 2015
Lisa Sunbury
Lisa Sunbury rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2015
Catherine Anholt and her husband Laurence Anholt are a husband-and-wife team who have worked together on more than 60 picture books, published all over the world in more than 17 different languages. Their picture books – including the Chimp and Zee series – have won numerous awards and have been featured on television and radio. Catherine grew up in the Cotswolds as one of a family of eight. After ...more
More about Catherine Anholt...