Start by marking “The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)

The Silver Door (Moon & Sun #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  637 ratings  ·  52 reviews
In the powerful, lyrical follow-up to THE RUBY KEY, Genna must master her new powers and summon an ancient magic to save her people in the fight for their freedom.

In the battle between nightlings and humans, it's prophesied that the Sunrider is destined to unite the magics of the sun and moon for the good of all. She alone can lead the fight to defeat an immortal evil.

Genn
Published April 15th 2009 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Door, please sign up.

Navmi Yes
The emerald sun
But the author has not yet published it... I guess she has not finished writing it as yet,but hopefully she will finish soon

Rosa
Genna and Catri are saved from a plot to assassinate Genna by an unlikely ally. They are taken by their savior to the Spire, which ends up being an old human city with incredible magic that protects them and has incredible innovations. Unfortunately this protection has it's dark side and Genna eventually has to leave, both to move forward with her Sunrider responsibilities and to be safe.

This felt kind of like a bridge novel. Everything that happens is to move the entire series (or trilogy) to
Miss Clark

I was pleased that in this second book we learn more about Genna's world and the culture that the humans once had before the Nightlings defeated them in the war and enslaved those they did not slaughter. The Sun Wizards were extremely advanced, both technologically and in their magics. But for all the learning and the glorious achievements, they were lacking in interpersonal connections.

After the events in The Ruby Key, Genna, Doyati, Yarri and Catri are learning about the Sun Wizards
Nafiza
Feb 28, 2011 Nafiza rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
The stakes are much higher in the sequel to The Ruby Key and Lisle complicates matters much more when she reveals that the good guys may not have been as good as they were thought to be. The Silver Door is a well thought out novel that ups the ante in the Moon and Sun series as Genna and Catri find themselves stranded in the castle/estate that belonged to the human civilization of yester years. Secrets are revealed and some friendships are forged anew while others sacrificed. There are hearts br ...more
Rachel
Hm, it has been a long time. But I did do this book for a book report. I remember Doyati. And Genna, the destined Sunrider. The action was amazingly portrayed and I loved every bit of it! Unfortunately I read on Lisle's blog somewhere the next book will NOT BE ABOUT THE SAME CHARACTERS. Quite sad, as I have grown to enjoy them.
Morgan
Holly Lisle has tremendous skill in world-building. I love the world of the Moon & Sun books - all the different types of characters and the way she ties it all together with a complex and engaging mythology. I wonder what kind of research it takes to create something like this.

Her protagonist, Genna, faces many difficult challenges and she's courageous and thoughtful and very self-aware. Genna is a very balanced character - she's not some over the top "Save the Day Hero" but neither is she
Karissa
This is the second book in the Moon and Sun trilogy (at least I've heard that it's supposed to be a trilogy) by Holly Lisle. It was an excellent addition to the series and is a wonderfully told story.

In the first book we find out that Genna is destined to be the Sunrider. This book starts out with Genna, Dan, Doyati, Catri, and Yarri being tutored in the Sun Wizards language by the very tedious Master Navan. Things quickly change though when Genna and Catri are attacked by a dragon and carried o
Eva Mitnick
In part 2 of the Moon and Sun series (after The Ruby Key), Genna and her friend Catri are abruptly wrenched from a slightly dull and anti-climactic life in the nightling city Arrienda, and transported (via dragon cheeks) to the last existing, although almost completely deserted, sun wizard city – the Spire.

Like a weird kind of long-lasting technology, the magic that ran the Spire is still active, and Genna and Catri learn a great deal about the last great battle between the nightlings and the hu
Krysta
Another captivating read. Genna is trying to find her true purpose and it shows. Because of this I feel that The Silver Door is a bit of a transitional book - I felt that the story arc within wasn't quite as tightly structured as in The Ruby Key (only by a small margin), nevertheless the overall mythology of this series remained strong. Much is revealed regarding the past of the humans, nightlings and other creatures. Several new characters are introduced, some are revisited, and the world opens ...more
Apurva Varshney
Why?
There were so many Why and how and what. None of them answered. The last sentence of the novel, I remember still, was "I laughed" sounded like the author is laughing at the reader. Saying I fooled you.
The 1st Part of the Moon and Sun series-The Ruby Key was well ended, though Letrin was killed quite easily, at least that was some end. The Silver Door, kept on piling up the questions and answered none.None.
And there is no sequel yet.
I just want to know from author, Why in the world, you crea
Bell120
I love the 1st and I love the 2nd! Also it's no mystery that Genna likes Doyati and it seems he likes her. I mean he pick her up and spun her around while hugging her. Also he was smiling and laughing while doing so and when he put he down he blushed. He was the happiest person in the world when he saw her sitting at the table. I can't believe she can't see he likes her or that he can't see she likes him. They are blind. I so hope they hook up in that 3rd book. I will go crazy if not. Also ends ...more
Jennelle
If you read my review of the Ruby Key, you know that I enjoyed that book, but compared to how much I loved this book, my reaction to the first book was more lukewarm. In this one you follow the main girl as she learns about the past of the humans before the nightlings became so powerful, and tries to find out what kind of power she needs to have and who she needs to become to free the humans and nightlings from those who wish to control them. Its very well written and creative.

*This book ends i
J.Elle
It hadn't been too awfully long since I read the first book in this series, but I still struggled to remember all the characters. I think this means that the first book was character-heavy. Anyway, I enjoyed this. It reminded me of the computer game: Myst, especially when the girls make it to the Spire and it seems deserted and they must systematically search it. I wish I had a cupboard at home that would fill with any food or clothing that I thought of. Wouldn't that be a time and money saver? ...more
Michelle
So I really adore Holly Lisle. I'm not sure why, because she is not in the same style as the books I tend to love, but I like her. And I really like her moon and sun series. I'm sad right now that M&S3 seems to have hit a bump... she's working on a different book right now (which I'm also looking forward to).

I really enjoyed the story of the Silver Door, and I was especially pleased by the fact that this book has some hard hitting themes and difficult situations, but is still written in a f
Yvonne Boag
The Silver Door by Holly Lisle is the second book in this series. Genna now knows she is the Sunrider and must defeat many obstacles to free humans from slavery. But someone betrays her and sends her and Catri to certain death via dragon. But the dragon has a different agenda and leads Genna to a place where the Nightlings can't follow. But is the place as safe as it seems...?
OK, you really have to read the first book to know what is going on. It is well written, well paced and has good characte
Pepper Thorn
The stage that Holly Lisle set in The Ruby Key is filled out with a depth that gives me high hopes for the rest of this series. Much about the world and the history of how things got this way is revealed. This book holds all the wonder that drew me to the first book but it does suffer from middle book syndrome. Where the Ruby Key had clear goals for the heros to achieve and had clear narrative structure, this book introduces conflicts that will become in later books a more complex and epic story ...more
Ryan
Enjoyed the first enough to read the second and this one was full of more of that childhood fantasy play, with a great fortress where you request your meals and they appear. But more serious notes as well. Is it a perfect world if they feed you but also pick what you do? If they watch you and listen to you wherever you are? And is the history we are told factual AND true, or are there motivations that are conveniently forgotten during the telling. And if you are supposed to be the savior of the ...more
Aislinn
Angie
Please more cat. Please more dragon. Please less asshole wizard ghosts. Started off good, sooooo boring in the middle, until the last, what, 30 pages? Let's tidy up this series with the next one soon please. Although boring, I'm still curious.
Evelyn
I read the first book in this series over a year ago, but it was not difficult to fall back into the world of Moon and Sun. The cat is my favorite character. (view spoiler) being revealed as (view spoiler) was, I thought, a somewhat unexpected twist. I drank in the descriptions of the Spire and its systems. Catri's choice was in character, though I was disappointed by it. I want to see how this turns out.
Heep
The sequel is better than the first book in the series, but I am giving it 4 stars with some reservations. The ending is pretty muddled. At times, the "Silver Door" proves to be a very good fantasy but, like the first book, it is too wordy. It could have been pared down by 100 pages or so, and the pre-teen drama makes it a little painful for adults. My 8-year old quite liked it and that bumped it up in my rating.
Valerie
While this was book was very interesting, I loved the Spire part. It fulfilled my dream of living in a old castle like place full of old magic. But the climax and plot seemed like it was just filling stuff in until the next book. I was most of the way through and wondering when it was going to pick up and give us a final battle or something. But, still good. All over, I enjoyed it.
Deborah
I really like where the story is going. Genna and Catri find themselves on a living spire where the past sun wizards lived before the nightlings attacked. Genna finds her strengths and learns that things once thought good can have a dark side and things once thought evil can be good. In the end she has only a few people/creatures that she can trust on her way to saving the sunworld.
Daker foulk
This book is an amazing book if you like action and books that change genres really quick!This book is about two girls.1st off thy meet a man eating dragon that they soon befreind.When there city gets over run they are forced to move to a place called the prime(i think thats what its called its been ages since i read this book).This book is an amazing action packed book
Molly
Even though the Ruby Key was only so-so, I gave the sequel a try. I was pleasantly surprised that it was better than book one.

In the Silver Door we learn more about the ancient civilization of the human sun wizards. I enjoyed Lisle's exploration of a seeming utopia with a dark side. Also how what we are vs. what we learn, determines our place in society.
que_bella
I really rather liked this book! It had been awhile since I had read the first book, The Ruby Key I believe, but I was able to catch in rather quickly and was sucked into this wonder world once again.
Genna knows she's not your average human. She's faced kai-lords, traveled the moon roads, and so much more. However, all she really wants to do is keep her friends safe and figure out the whole 'sunrider' business. So when she and Catri are nearly killed and find themselves at the tower with a myst
This is a middle-grade fantasy book about a heroine with special powers, she's trying to find her way through many challenges. I felt the characters were well developed, but at times the plot felt a little less focused.

I enjoyed this story and would like to read the book before and the sequel.
Gkeller123
I didn't like this as well as the first book, but it is worth reading. The middle gets sort of slow, with lots of 'foreign' terms, words, etc. But keep reading, as it gets better. Of course, it doesn't finish the story, I am not sure when the next book comes out.
Beverly
Is the author going to write another book? This book was published in 2009 and I can't find anything about another book. I dislike these books if the author doesn't finish the story. The ending was a cliffhanger so I hope she writes another book soon!
Rhea
This one is better then the first... maybe. I really liked it, and the Green Sorceress bit sent chills down my back. Because, really, who is the cat?

4 stars for imagination + 1 star for the cat - 1 star for boring parts = 4 stars
Michellebody
After reading the first book and enjoying it, I got this book and finished it within a day. Great sequel. I felt like it was on par with the quality of the first book and it left me wanting more.
Third Book? 2 8 Dec 08, 2014 05:38AM
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Weavers of Saramyr (Braided Path, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Dirty Magic
  • A Hero For WondLa (WondLa, #2)
  • So This is How it Ends (Avatars, #1)
  • The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales, #1)
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t
More about Holly Lisle...

Moon & Sun (2 books)
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1) Diplomacy of Wolves (The Secret Texts, #1) Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1) Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2) Courage of Falcons (The Secret Texts, #3)

“Adventures are only interesting once you've lived to see the end of them. Before that, they are nothing but fear, and being too cold or too hot or too wet or too hungry, and getting hurt.” 75 likes
“I have never yet figured out what to do about good advice that you get, and that you know right away would help you, but that you cannot follow.” 34 likes