Start by marking “A Pearl Among Princes” as Want to Read:
A Pearl Among Princes

A Pearl Among Princes

Welcome to the island where princes learn to be charming.

Gracepearl Coal is the cook's daughter on Miramore, the island all princes visit for their summer program in the Charming Arts. Each year, the princes-in-training arrive on gallant seacraft, guided by captains trained to navigate the island's treacherous waters. Passage on one of these boats is the only method to le
Published September 17th 2009 by Dial (first published July 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Pearl Among Princes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pearl Among Princes

McKenzie
Aug 16, 2010 McKenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
Gracepearl is a local at Miramore. Lately, she wants more than her simple island life. She's been having dreams about people who are in need of her help, but she can't leave the island. This year, however, she may have a chance to do just that. Princes have always come each summer to train at Miramore. But there's a twist this year: princes can now marry local girls. This gives Gracepearl an opportunity to leave the island. Can she leave her true love, an island boy named Mackree?

A Pearl Among
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by McKenzie Tritt for TeensReadToo.com

Gracepearl Coal lives on the island of Miramore, a special place where princes come to train. The rules have changed this year, and now princes are allowed to marry any girl on the island. For the girls it means a chance at love and a chance to escape Miramore. Gracepearl has always dreamed of leaving Miramore, especially now that she's having strange dreams about people in need of her help. What do these dreams mean, and how is she supposed to help
Rachel LaTeeDa
Apr 19, 2011 Rachel LaTeeDa rated it liked it
It was very sweet and cute the whole way through. A very fairy tale sort of feelig, as was the author's intention, I do suppose. I loved all of the little nursery rhymes thrown in, I thought that was a nice touch.

Not a huge bit of conflict, meaning that there was no real villain, it was mainly about her inner struggles. Gracepearl (I actually think the name is quite lvoely, though many have disagreed) has to choose between marrying a prince (the only way to leave the island is through a betrotha
Books and Literature for Teens
A Pearl Among Princes is full of whimsical and fairy-tale detail and fun. Surprisingly I did enjoy this middle grade book (even though it was a bit too young for me) with it's island adventure and various handsome princes. The beginning of each chapter had a nursery rhyme quote and reminded me of those little songs I had almost forgotten-it made the story kinda of special. Even though the setting may sound too juvenile, Gracepearl and the other characters had a much more "maturer" voice; there w ...more
Yan
Jun 11, 2009 Yan rated it liked it
At first I was going to mention how it really didn’t seem to be a teen book but then I saw the age group for the book—8-12—and it made sense. It seemed more tween than teen.

This is all Disney. With the adorable rhymes, childhood lullabies, and a room full of dashing princes, this is pretty much a dream come true. There is no real villain in this book but one with many heroes.

There are two main princes to pick from, Sir Richard and Sir Peter. Richard is the blond and kind, and Peter is the charm
Tausha
Jan 09, 2013 Tausha rated it liked it
3.5
This book was so different....I liked it, it was just...different. :) I actually started it thinking I could read it with my 10 yr old daughter, but I don't think she would like it yet. It jumps all over in places which makes it hard to follow. It is also written in first person form and Gracepearls thoughts are constantly all over the place. It was a fun fairytale though and a fun way to read nursery rhymes.
Julie
Feb 16, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Sometimes, it would be rather melodramatic and Disney-like, but it is the perfect fairytale. You might as well give this to Disney so that the glory days of Princesses instead of the junk of late can be restarted once again. The rhymes were weird at the beginning, but I liked it all the same.
Maddy M
Oct 16, 2012 Maddy M rated it really liked it
This book is one of those books that you don't think they'll be good, but its totally fabulous.
Briana
Aug 04, 2012 Briana rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
From the summary, I was expecting a fun, light read from this book and not necessarily an artistic masterpiece. However, A Pearl Among Princes failed at even being pure entertainment for me, primarily due to problems in world-building and simple awkwardness.

Miramore, apparently, is an island in our world. The first hint this is so is a random reference to Joan of Arc; eventually Gracepearl tells the readers directly that it is in our world. The location of Miramore, however, is kept a secret fro
Cindy
Sep 24, 2009 Cindy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Cindy by: Amazon
Shelves: teen, romance, fairy-tale
Rebecca
Aug 23, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Gracepearl Coal is the cook's daughter on Miramore, the island where every summer the young princes of the nearby kingdoms come for their training. The only way to come and go from the island is on the boats that take the princes there, and Gracepearl has for many years longed to leave the island on one of those boats and see the world beyond.

Now that Gracepearl is almost sixteen, she is old enough to be betrothed. She hopes to be chosen by one of the princes, as it is her only chance of leaving
Bridget R. Wilson
Dec 22, 2009 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Gracepearl is tired of life on Miramore. She longs to journey across the sea. The only problem is the only boats belong to the princes who come each summer for training. To get off the island, Pearl must find herself a prince. Sir Richard might do, but her friend Lu likes him. Or there's Sir Peter. But her friend Nuff likes him.

Gracepearl has always felt like there's more to the world than Miramore. As her sixteenth birthday approaches, she discovers the truth about herself and a way off the isl
Sandy
Dec 10, 2010 Sandy rated it it was ok
Pearl lives on Miramore, an island where princes are sent to learn courtly manners at a school there. They only come during the summer, leaving the island to itself for the rest of the year. Gracepearl loves a local boy, but the only way she can leave the island is to marry one of the princes in training. This year, 13 ships arrive, when there are only 12 royal families. Can Pearl catch the fancy of a prince and leave the island the way she wants to? There were a few glaring holes in the plot of ...more
April Suter
Apr 12, 2014 April Suter rated it really liked it
A cute love story that wasn't predictable. An enjoyable read for young and older readers. Gracepearl lives on an island that trains princes each year. He father is the Cook and she helps in the kitchen. The summer she turns 16 she learns of her past and decides her future.

I love the author's note at the end:
"If you enjoyed this book, please pass it along to a friend with the request that she or he repeat the favor. No book is happy collecting dust on a shelf. Books are meant to be open and read,
Mursal
Aug 03, 2013 Mursal rated it really liked it
Shelves: best, electric
Phoebe
Apr 05, 2010 Phoebe rated it it was ok
A teenage girl struggles to figure out what her future should be--that of the other girls around her, who want to marry a royal, or something different beyond the island of Miramore. Each summer the island is swarming with princes in training, and Gracepearl and her friends and family serve them. The boy next door is in love with Gracepearl, but in her turmoil she can't quite commit to him. A light read that was so predictable as to be boring and hardly memorable. Will appeal to young teens want ...more
Melissa
Apr 18, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Melynie and girls
What a sweet, fun read. I feel bad I let this sit for so long. This book was right up my alley and I loved it. Gracepearl was a well put together character that grabbed my heart and held on. I am hoping there will be a squeal to this. The writing was great I loved the added nursery rhymes coloring everything. I will be checking out more by this author I am excited to see what else she has done. These are geared toward a younger reader like 10, but there is a part where some girls catch the boys ...more
Jenny
Apr 27, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
This book is such a cute idea. There were some darling scenes and laugh-out-loud moments. The ending was a bit pat for me, and some of the scenes so juvenile. But once I started reading it like it was meant for a younger audience I enjoyed it better. My only complaint would be her name..I mean, Gracepearl? Really?! I think it would appeal most to Tween girls - ages 11 - 14ish, and just so you know it's squeaky clean.
Elzbeth
Jan 03, 2014 Elzbeth rated it liked it
Gracepearl is living on her island, waiting for a prince to take her off. Wooing a Prince in Training is the only way to leave the island. But Grace's heart belong to another, an island boy. She must choose between her desperation for freedom and her love. But as the Princes in Training(PITs) arrive at the island, Grace's father falls gravely ill. Grace must woo her prince, worry for her father and uncover her families past.
Ashley
Feb 18, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shella
May 11, 2011 Shella rated it it was amazing
Gracepearl wanted to leave Miramore, but she can't afford loosing her beloved Mackree and her best friends Lu and Nuff, But somewhere in her head her mother's spirit is telling her to leave Miramore, but the only way to do that is to marry a prince who is in "PIT" (Princes in Training) and that is a hard decision to make, because she doesn't want to leave Mackree
Brett
This rather predictable fairy-tale-style fantasy about a girl who lives on an island inhabited by a sort of charm school for princes was definitely not my favorite book by Coleen Murtagh Paratore, but it would definitely appeal very strongly to a certain type of girl I remember from my childhood, & her writing style is very evocative & memorable.
Amberle
May 24, 2010 Amberle rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-fairie
Annajune
Jul 15, 2015 Annajune rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth
Good story! Gracepearl lives on an island where you live and work as those before you (baker, laundress, etc). The princes come every year to learn charm skills. The only way off the island is to capture a prince's heart. Gracepearl longs to leave the island.

This is a book about following your dreams and making your dreams come true. Loved it!
Jessica Tucker
Oct 06, 2012 Jessica Tucker rated it it was amazing
I had this book a few years ago and never read it. I wish I had. This book was a little easy for me but it was so sweet and cute. The plot flowed seamlessly. It was so easy to get lost in and to connect with the characters. The ending satisfied me very much and I'm glad I finally decided to read it. It was quick and cute and I enjoyed it very much.
Tutu
Aug 15, 2013 Tutu rated it it was amazing
This is a book I remember reading from grade school. I love the main character's sense of adventure and wanting to explore the world instead of being cooped up. And this is perhaps my very first romance novel. The star rating goes up to 5 but I would give the book a 10 star rating. I recommend this to any girl in elementary school who still has a love for princesses.
Sara
Jun 11, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
This book is written for teens. It tells of Pearl and her conflict of whether to stay on the island or leave, which can only happen by marrying a prince that comes for schooling every summer. It was very fast, cute and fun. I like that Pearl has a strong character, though not perfect, and doesn't pretend to be something she is not. Quick, teen read.
Katie W
Nov 20, 2009 Katie W rated it liked it
Gracepearl Coal is destined to live her life on an island and follow in the profession of her deceased mother. Unless she can marry a prince, for that is the only way to leave the island. Every summer, a prince from each of the 12 kingdoms come to the island to learn to be charming, etc. A very interesting story.
Diana
Apr 25, 2012 Diana rated it liked it
This was a cute story but I wish the characters were a little more developed. I didn't feel like I knew them very well. I really liked the main character Gracepearl, but feel I could've known her better. Overall I liked the book, but found it lacking.
Dailyn
Mar 17, 2015 Dailyn rated it really liked it
Light, quick read. I liked the storyline, but had a hard time getting into it mostly because of its predictability. The writing was okay - at some points it seemed rather amateurish; I don't think the characters were developed as well as they could have been. It was cute, though.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 09, 2015 08:54AM
  • What I Wore to Save the World (Morgan Rawlinson, #3)
  • A True Princess
  • The Princess and the Snowbird (The Hound Saga, #3)
  • The One (Chloe Gamble, #1)
  • The Bonemender's Choice (The Bonemender, #3)
  • The Debutante
  • When Rose Wakes
  • Swan Fake (Cinderella Cleaners, #6)
  • The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales
  • Shadow
  • ReVamped (Vamped, #2)
  • Dragon Seer's Gift
  • Scones and Sensibility
  • Mary Jane 2 (Spider-Man) (Bk. 2)
I majored in English at The College of Saint Rose, in Albany, and after two internships in advertising and public relations, decided to enter the communications field, which is a place where writers can write and make a living too. I got married three months after graduation (my husband Tony and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next August ), and we moved to Connecticut. I worked ...more
More about Coleen Murtagh Paratore...

“Sometimes your best company is you” 32 likes