Start by marking “Catching Caroline” as Want to Read:
Catching Caroline

Read Book

Catching Caroline

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,301 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
Jack Shaw's reputation as a wicked libertine is well deserved. He lives for the moment, indulging in temporary pleasures. Until Lady Caroline Seton sets her eyes on him and the heat of her gaze lures him in. Now he wants more than one stolen kiss, he wants forever. But Caroline hides a dangerous secret, one that could cost him his life. Will his love be enough to save them ...more
Published 2006 by Sylvia Day (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Catching Caroline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching Caroline

Tempted by Megan HartThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonSexy Devil by Sasha WhiteLover Mine by J.R. WardLord of the Deep by Dawn Thompson
Hottest Romance/Erotica Covers
334th out of 1,017 books — 1,271 voters
Pretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Iron King by Julie KagawaForever Princess by Meg CabotCharlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood
My Favorite Reads 2010
37th out of 66 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Jul 04, 2010 UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Vampires, Historical Romance and Quick Reads..

Author Note

Dear Reader,

This story was written before I sold my first book. In other words, it’s not up to the same standards as my present-day writing. When the rights to this story reverted back to me, I considered editing it again. Then I realized there was really no way to edit this story; I would have to rewrite it. Caroline is uniquely unlike my usual heroines. Changing her would require changing the whole tale, and changing the whole tale would destroy it. This story is written differently
Mojca
As soon as she lays her eyes on Jack Shaw, Lady Caroline Seton falls hard. What's not to fall for? He's tall, dark, handsome, hot, charismatic...Did I mention hot? Anyway, she can't have him. Why? Well, it's her, not him. She's a vampire and she fears hurting him.
And when he accosts her in a shadowed garden and kisses her, she knows she must flee.

Two years later she's still running. But Jack is getting tired of pursuing her. She's unlike any woman he's met, she captivated him at first sight, and
Dec 12, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it

I enjoyed this short freebie. It's very different to the other books I've read by Syliva Day & you can tell it's one of her earlier stories (written before she had anything else published) but I don't mean that in a negative way.

Considering it's so short we get to know the 2 main characters fairly well & I enjoyed their romance.
Kristy
Sylvia Day wrote this story before selling her first book and there is a note in the beginning explaining that it is not up to standards to what she writes today. She also says she has thought about tweaking it but to do that would change the characters and subsequently change the whole story line.

But I have to say, I loved it. It was extremely short, but I was immediately drawn in to the story. I wanted so badly for there to be more.

It was about Caroline, a vampire in the 1800's. She is inexp
Tammy Walton Grant
What's that saying...you get what you pay for? I picked this up as a kindle freebie to try the author - The Stranger I Married is on my tbr, so I figured why not try her out.

Well, I found out why not (with this story anyway). It's not very good. :)

The premise to this one was different but the execution was kind of, well, silly is the only word I can think of. I usually don't notice first-time writers, but this one seemed like that to me. Some of the plot twists were juvenile, like a high-school
Kiru Taye
May 18, 2011 Kiru Taye rated it really liked it
This book is definitely one of the best I've read recently. The only downside is that i was expecting a much longer read. Sylvia Day certainly wrote an emotional and sexy story. I'll certainly buy and read more of her books. I absolutely loved the hero Jack.
One of his best lines:
"No!" he barked. "You are the one who fails to comprehend. I am weary of chasing you, Caroline, but I won't stop. Not ever. I will hunt you down. I will run you to ground. There is no place where you can hide from me."
Dione Sage
Quick read recommended to me by a friend and unfortunately not really my type of book I would normally pick. It wasn't that it was bad exactly but just not my kind of book. I suppose it was suggested because I like romance novels and vampires but probably not in this way I guess.The writing style and scenes were a bit lack luster.I did give it three stars because I think the IDEA of the plot would be excellent if it was more developed.
Ari
Oct 07, 2015 Ari rated it did not like it
"I will hunt you down, I will run you to ground. There is no place where you can hide from me."

Kowaii!! Can you say creepy stalker? (view spoiler)

Christa
Apr 30, 2013 Christa rated it it was ok
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Oct 24, 2011 Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ rated it really liked it
Caroline is a noble woman who just happens to be a vampire. She attends a ball with her good friend Julienne and finds herself immediately attracted to Jack Shaw. Caroline shares one kiss with Jack Shaw develops an instant craving for him but knows that she must flee from him. Jack Shaw wants more of Caroline but when she vanishes after one kiss. He will do everything in his power to make her his. Caroline tries running from Jack where she seems to be always one step ahead of him. But a lucky ch ...more
Shari
Oct 20, 2011 Shari rated it liked it
Caroline feels instant attraction to Jack when she sees him at a ball. But as her fangs punch through, she runs in fear that she might drain him if within proximity. Jack corners her at in the gardens of a ball they both are attending. When he kisses her, Caroline disappears and starts her long journey of being on the run for two years. Jack won’t give up. He has found the woman of his dreams.

This is a very quick book to read. It’s not bad, but I would say it had me crying for more. It was just
Holly
I picked this up free for my Nook. It's a short, yet sweet, story.

Caroline sees Jack in a ballroom and is immediately drawn to him. Unfortunately she isn't free to pursue him, and is afraid for him if she does. So she runs. For two years. Jack is just as drawn to her, and chases after her. For two years. He finally catches up with her and they share a night of passion, but Caroline still isn't free to be with him. But Jack isn't going to let that stop him.

It frustrated me some that Caroline's
Gisele
Mar 10, 2016 Gisele rated it really liked it
3.5
Para ser el primer libro de Sylvia Day no estuvo tan mal. Es una novela corta y un poco predecible pero se nota que la autora ha mejorado con el pasar del tiempo.
Kelly
Jan 25, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
For a short story, there was a surprising amount of character development. And, yes, this story is very short. Yet it worked. The action starts pretty much right away (and doesn't it usually do that in a short story?) and zips through to the climactic end (heh! Climactic!) (Yes, I'm juvenile. Often. I've learned to deal with it.).

Fast and furious pretty much sums it up.

This is currently a free read through Amazon, so jump on over and try it out.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
QiJia 치쟈
Apr 29, 2013 QiJia 치쟈 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly I like this short story :)

I know it's a historical setting but I didn't realise there's vampire!

I read SD's historical Seven Years To Sin...and did not liked it, and since this is a short one, might as well give it a try ;)
I prefer her first writing of Catching Caroline WAY MORE than Seven Years to Sin.

I want to know more of Jack's vampire world!!!
His world sounds fascinating (actually reminds me of the TV series version of Vampire Diaries , the Original vampires xD)
Christine
Feb 15, 2015 Christine rated it it was ok
I was ok for a short read but I felt like it was missing something.
Martha
Dec 01, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it
I love Sylvia Day, this was one of her first stories, and she lets you know in the beginning, that it's not up to the same standards as her present day writing. It was super short, but I still enjoyed it.
Rachel Vorster
Where do I start? This was one of Sylvia Day's earlier works, so I will accept it for now. I didn't feel much emotion as I read this, which is an important aspect for me. The story was a good idea; but one that could have used lots of work and more story. It often left me lost and confused at what was happening. Thoughts on the story itself: I found it quite creepy and alarming that Jack broke into her home. I gave one star for the excellent vocabulary and another as this was a vampire book (my ...more
♔ Marli ♔
Jack and Caroline...

I really enjoyed this short freebie and the budding romance between the two main characters. It's very different to the other books I've read by Syliva Day. But as always the writing is descriptive, intense and super sexy!

I've already read Bad Boys ahoy, so I'm a little disappointed that the journey ends here.

Compliments to the author!
Landslide
May 03, 2012 Landslide rated it it was ok
Tal como "Snaring the Huntress", que já li, também "Catching Caroline" é um dos trabalhos iniciais da autora que indica, no início, que se fosse hoje já não o escrevia assim. Talvez por isso não me tenha agradado muito. Ou talvez seja eu que já estou farta de (view spoiler)...

O conto inicia-se em Londres, em 1810. Caroline vê Jack pela primeira vez num baile e a atracção é imediata. Caroline foge. Uma semana depois volta a encontrá-lo noutro baile e a atracção é mútua. B
Hooked On Books
Nov 20, 2013 Hooked On Books rated it really liked it
Catching Caroline was a short historical, paranormal romance Sylvia Day wrote before she was ever published. She states in an author's note at the beginning of the book that its 'not up to the same standard as my present day writing.' she goes on to say that she did consider editing it but realised she couldn't, that it would have to be completely re-written and that the story is written differently to how she would write today but that she's okay with that.

This book is set in the 1800's and I
Rebecca
Oct 02, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Well, that was cute. I don't think it was bad. Her other stories are longer and better, I think if this one has been longer and went into more detail, I would've liked it a lot more. But I didn't hate it. I liked it :)
Patricia
May 10, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Good, even for a short read.
I just didn't get the part about her dreams of him. Did he cause them but just not know what she said to his dream self?
A.M.
Jul 14, 2013 A.M. rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books
I was looking for escapism today and this was a quick short story of less than 30 pages.
It feels very much like standard romance writer stuff. Almost literal bodice tearing. She did say it was an early work of hers and it is also a free download. I was a little confused by Regency vampires with heart beats, body temperatures and daylight walking. Man, does no one honour the canon any more? But it was a bit meh, really. As I said, standard erotic romance stuff.
When I opened it I thought I had thr
Kathleen Johnstone
Dec 09, 2015 Kathleen Johnstone rated it really liked it
It was a short tale obviously just a beginning
Denise Mcanally
Jun 19, 2014 Denise Mcanally rated it liked it
This is a short book with lots of action.
Noura
Feb 16, 2014 Noura rated it liked it
Read it for the second time. Too short.
Lynette
Jan 27, 2011 Lynette rated it liked it
This novella I downloaded when it was free on Amazon felt as if it was part of a series, looked on author's website and it didn't appear that it was. I could've forgiven the problems I had with the story if it was a novella based on a series, but since it wasn't I couldn't. However, it did make me interested in reading something else buy her (I never read her before), I'm not at the point to where I would spend my money on a book of hers, but I would check out my library and if I like it, I'll c ...more
Val
What did I read?
  • An Unwanted Hunger
  • Hysteria
  • Haunted by the Past
  • Eve of Warfare (Marked, #3.25)
  • Desire in the Dark
  • Just One Taste (The V V Inn, #0.5)
  • Spirit Lifter (Phantom Lovers #4)
  • Take Me (Naughty Nooners)
  • Door Prize
  • Hara's Legacy (Resonance Mates, #1)
  • Reunion (Vampires Realm, #3.5)
  • Marked (City of the Damned, #1)
  • Out of the Box (On the Edge)
  • Reaper's Justice (WesternWind #7.5)
  • Stolen Hearts
  • The Bad Widow
  • A Lesson in Passion
  • Snowy Night Seduction
19823
Sylvia Day (aka S. J. Day and Livia Dare) is the #1 New York Times and #1 international bestselling author of over 20 award-winning novels sold in more than 40 countries. She is a #1 bestselling author in 28 countries, with tens of millions of copies of her books in print. Her Crossfire series has been optioned for television by Lionsgate. Visit her at www.sylviaday.com, Facebook.com/AuthorSylviaD ...more
More about Sylvia Day...

“Love will find a way against time itself.” 61 likes
“No!" he barked. "You are the one who fails to comprehend. I am weary of chasing you, Caroline, but I won't stop. Not ever. I will hunt you down, I will run you to ground. There is no place where you can hide from me.” 2 likes