Catching Caroline
read book

Catching Caroline

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,790 ratings  ·  152 reviews
Jack Shaw's reputation as a wicked libertine is well deserved. He lives for the moment, indulging in temporary pleasures. Until Lady Caroline Seton sets her eyes on him and the heat of her gaze lures him in. Now he wants more than one stolen kiss, he wants forever. But Caroline hides a dangerous secret, one that could cost him his life. Will his love be enough to save them...more
Published 2006 by Sylvia Day (first published June 11th 2005)

Tempted by Megan HartThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonSexy Devil by Sasha WhiteLord of the Deep by Dawn ThompsonLover Mine by J.R. Ward
Hottest Romance/Erotica Covers
397th out of 815 books — 1,034 voters
Pretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Iron King by Julie KagawaForever Princess by Meg CabotCharlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood
My Favorite Reads 2010
37th out of 66 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Author Note

Dear Reader,

This story was written before I sold my first book. In other words, it’s not up to the same standards as my present-day writing. When the rights to this story reverted back to me, I considered editing it again. Then I realized there was really no way to edit this story; I would have to rewrite it. Caroline is uniquely unlike my usual heroines. Changing her would require changing the whole tale, and changing the whole tale would destroy it. This story is written differently
Mojca
As soon as she lays her eyes on Jack Shaw, Lady Caroline Seton falls hard. What's not to fall for? He's tall, dark, handsome, hot, charismatic...Did I mention hot? Anyway, she can't have him. Why? Well, it's her, not him. She's a vampire and she fears hurting him.
And when he accosts her in a shadowed garden and kisses her, she knows she must flee.

Two years later she's still running. But Jack is getting tired of pursuing her. She's unlike any woman he's met, she captivated him at first sight, and...more
Kristy
Sylvia Day wrote this story before selling her first book and there is a note in the beginning explaining that it is not up to standards to what she writes today. She also says she has thought about tweaking it but to do that would change the characters and subsequently change the whole story line.

But I have to say, I loved it. It was extremely short, but I was immediately drawn in to the story. I wanted so badly for there to be more.

It was about Caroline, a vampire in the 1800's. She is inexp...more
Tammy Walton Grant
What's that saying...you get what you pay for? I picked this up as a kindle freebie to try the author - The Stranger I Married is on my tbr, so I figured why not try her out.

Well, I found out why not (with this story anyway). It's not very good. :)

The premise to this one was different but the execution was kind of, well, silly is the only word I can think of. I usually don't notice first-time writers, but this one seemed like that to me. Some of the plot twists were juvenile, like a high-school...more
Kiru Taye
This book is definitely one of the best I've read recently. The only downside is that i was expecting a much longer read. Sylvia Day certainly wrote an emotional and sexy story. I'll certainly buy and read more of her books. I absolutely loved the hero Jack.
One of his best lines:
"No!" he barked. "You are the one who fails to comprehend. I am weary of chasing you, Caroline, but I won't stop. Not ever. I will hunt you down. I will run you to ground. There is no place where you can hide from me."...more
Dione Sage
Quick read recommended to me by a friend and unfortunately not really my type of book I would normally pick. It wasn't that it was bad exactly but just not my kind of book. I suppose it was suggested because I like romance novels and vampires but probably not in this way I guess.The writing style and scenes were a bit lack luster.I did give it three stars because I think the IDEA of the plot would be excellent if it was more developed.
Ari
"I will hunt you down, I will run you to ground. There is no place where you can hide from me."

Kowaii!! Can you say creepy stalker? (view spoiler)

Christa
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Caroline is a noble woman who just happens to be a vampire. She attends a ball with her good friend Julienne and finds herself immediately attracted to Jack Shaw. Caroline shares one kiss with Jack Shaw develops an instant craving for him but knows that she must flee from him. Jack Shaw wants more of Caroline but when she vanishes after one kiss. He will do everything in his power to make her his. Caroline tries running from Jack where she seems to be always one step ahead of him. But a lucky ch...more
Shari
Caroline feels instant attraction to Jack when she sees him at a ball. But as her fangs punch through, she runs in fear that she might drain him if within proximity. Jack corners her at in the gardens of a ball they both are attending. When he kisses her, Caroline disappears and starts her long journey of being on the run for two years. Jack won’t give up. He has found the woman of his dreams.

This is a very quick book to read. It’s not bad, but I would say it had me crying for more. It was just...more
Holly
I picked this up free for my Nook. It's a short, yet sweet, story.

Caroline sees Jack in a ballroom and is immediately drawn to him. Unfortunately she isn't free to pursue him, and is afraid for him if she does. So she runs. For two years. Jack is just as drawn to her, and chases after her. For two years. He finally catches up with her and they share a night of passion, but Caroline still isn't free to be with him. But Jack isn't going to let that stop him.

It frustrated me some that Caroline's...more
Kelly
For a short story, there was a surprising amount of character development. And, yes, this story is very short. Yet it worked. The action starts pretty much right away (and doesn't it usually do that in a short story?) and zips through to the climactic end (heh! Climactic!) (Yes, I'm juvenile. Often. I've learned to deal with it.).

Fast and furious pretty much sums it up.

This is currently a free read through Amazon, so jump on over and try it out.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
QiJia (Missing In Action) 치쟈
Surprisingly I like this short story :)

I know it's a historical setting but I didn't realise there's vampire!

I read SD's historical Seven Years To Sin...and did not liked it, and since this is a short one, might as well give it a try ;)
I prefer her first writing of Catching Caroline WAY MORE than Seven Years to Sin.

I want to know more of Jack's vampire world!!!
His world sounds fascinating (actually reminds me of the TV series version of Vampire Diaries , the Original vampires xD)
Rachel Vorster
Where do I start? This was one of Sylvia Day's earlier works, so I will accept it for now. I didn't feel much emotion as I read this, which is an important aspect for me. The story was a good idea; but one that could have used lots of work and more story. It often left me lost and confused at what was happening. Thoughts on the story itself: I found it quite creepy and alarming that Jack broke into her home. I gave one star for the excellent vocabulary and another as this was a vampire book (my...more
Landslide
Tal como "Snaring the Huntress", que já li, também "Catching Caroline" é um dos trabalhos iniciais da autora que indica, no início, que se fosse hoje já não o escrevia assim. Talvez por isso não me tenha agradado muito. Ou talvez seja eu que já estou farta de (view spoiler)...

O conto inicia-se em Londres, em 1810. Caroline vê Jack pela primeira vez num baile e a atracção é imediata. Caroline foge. Uma semana depois volta a encontrá-lo noutro baile e a atracção é mútua. B...more
Ltmk Onbooks
Catching Caroline was a short historical, paranormal romance Sylvia Day wrote before she was ever published. She states in an author's note at the beginning of the book that its 'not up to the same standard as my present day writing.' she goes on to say that she did consider editing it but realised she couldn't, that it would have to be completely re-written and that the story is written differently to how she would write today but that she's okay with that.

This book is set in the 1800's and I...more
A.M.
I was looking for escapism today and this was a quick short story of less than 30 pages.
It feels very much like standard romance writer stuff. Almost literal bodice tearing. She did say it was an early work of hers and it is also a free download. I was a little confused by Regency vampires with heart beats, body temperatures and daylight walking. Man, does no one honour the canon any more? But it was a bit meh, really. As I said, standard erotic romance stuff.
When I opened it I thought I had thr...more
Noura Ariz
Read it for the second time. Too short.
Lynette
This novella I downloaded when it was free on Amazon felt as if it was part of a series, looked on author's website and it didn't appear that it was. I could've forgiven the problems I had with the story if it was a novella based on a series, but since it wasn't I couldn't. However, it did make me interested in reading something else buy her (I never read her before), I'm not at the point to where I would spend my money on a book of hers, but I would check out my library and if I like it, I'll c...more
Kasey
This was Day's first published work and is now being republished in ebook format for free. She did put a letter in explaining it isn't up to her currant standards.

For what it is and how short it is it is pretty good. But as I've said before I'm typically feeling like I miss something in short stories. In this one the character development would have given something to it. I love the setting of the vampire love story in historical romance was a nice twist.
Jasmina
First of all, I didn't know this was an erotic despite the fact that the cover was a bit.. yeah. I don't know what I was expecting, but I really like the author's writing style. Even though I don't like these erotic stories, the author's way to writing is what gives the four stars. If you look past the sex parts (lol q_q), the affection between the two main characters were nice.

I've never read any of Day's books, but I will give them a try if they're not erotics...
Sammy
This was a pretty good rainy afternoon read. There wasn't much of a plot and I still managed to enjoy it. This is a very short story that involves a vampire, and some smokin hot love scenes. I would have liked more information on the vampires and how they were able to walk around during the daylight hours, how often they needed to feed etc.I would love to see the author expand this short into a full length novel and explore the vampire world more than the actual romance.
Lucille
Typical two star book and freebie..

The plot was confusing. At first, I thought that this was going to be another historical romance with a love affair, but then Day threw in vampires at the end. I'm like, wtf O_o.. It should have been said from the beginning, not at the end.

The ending is far more interesting than the whole story. I think this would have been a pretty good novel if Ms. Day edits and adds on to it. :)

texxie-prufreads.blogspot.com
Ok so....this was a kindle freebie so I can't complain too much. I will say that the initial idea had promise but the execution fell a bit flat for me. On one hand, the steamy sex scenes was the only plus but at the same time, another sex scene took even more away from the story. I did'nt like how that particular sex scene written, as in WHY the sex was being had. I love vamps and I love PNR but this one was'nt for me.
Shawna Hansen
Short and intense novella where Caroline, a female vampire, fears her attraction to a man she saw at a ball will be too intense and end in his death. To protect the man that she describes as gorgeous and irresistible to the "animal" in her, she runs. Jack chases after her and eventually catches up with her. He also has a secret. The ending is a little abrupt. Lots of teasers after the short novella for upcoming novels.
Judy
Caroline is attracted to Jack Shaw the minute she sees him. And after a kiss in a garden a week later they are both smitten. Only she has a few deep dark secrets and she fears she could hurt him because of them. So she runs for two years thinking she gets away just in time, when in reality...Jack is following her. He is determined in his chase to catch Caroline and maker her his forever.
**Sexual situations.
Kirsten
Ms Day explains this books is her first book, and when she regained the rights to it, made it available without edit. I must applaud her for staying true to Caroline and the story. However, im not certain that I enjoyed the story. The story got lost in the sex, and lost my interest when the sex was used as a punishment- or power establishment. My second ebook. I would like to compare her writing now to this story.
Prismseven
Wonderful short story!
  • An Unwanted Hunger
  • Spirit Lifter (Phantom Lovers #4)
  • Take Me (Naughty Nooners)
  • Snowy Night Seduction
  • Hysteria
  • Reaper's Justice (WesternWind #7.5)
  • Undeniable
  • Thrill of the Hunt
  • Zane's Tale (Succubus Diaries, #2.5)
  • Discovering Sofia
  • Hunter's Choice (The Hunters)
  • Haunted by the Past
  • Hot Moon Rising
  • The Princess' Dragon Lord
  • Reunion (Vampires Realm, #3.5)
  • Larkspur (Flowers of Camelot #5)
  • Big Girls Don't Die (In the Heat of the Night, Book 2)
  • City of Sin
19823
Sylvia Day (aka S. J. Day and Livia Dare) is the #1 New York Times and #1 international bestselling author of over 20 award-winning novels sold in more than 40 countries. She is a #1 bestselling author in 21 countries, with tens of millions of copies of her books in print. Her Crossfire series has been optioned for television by Lionsgate, and she has been nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award...more
More about Sylvia Day...
Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) Entwined with You (Crossfire, #3) Afterburn (Afterburn & Aftershock, #1) A Dark Kiss of Rapture (Renegade Angels, #0.5)

“Love will find a way against time itself.” 49 likes
“No!" he barked. "You are the one who fails to comprehend. I am weary of chasing you, Caroline, but I won't stop. Not ever. I will hunt you down, I will run you to ground. There is no place where you can hide from me.” 2 likes