Start by marking “The Chimes” as Want to Read:
The Chimes
Read Book* *Different edition

The Chimes (Christmas Books)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,369 ratings  ·  173 reviews
THE CHIMES: A Goblin Story of Some Bells that Rang an Old Year Out and a New Year In, a short novel by Charles Dickens, was written and published in 1844, one year after A Christmas Carol. It is the second in his series of "Christmas books": five short books with strong social and moral messages that he published during the 1840's.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1844)

The Chimes, or to give it its full title, The Chimes, a Goblin Story of Some Bells That Rang an Old Year Out and a New Year In, is the second Christmas book by Charles Dickens. It was written in 1844, a year after his phenomenally successful "A Christmas Carol", and continued the burgeoning tradition of an annual Christmas book in what he called the "Carol philosophy". He was to write five of these short novels, all of which have a strong social and moral message. He then discontinued them in fa ...more
If A Christmas Carol is about making restitution after sins of commission, The Chimes is about the potential cost of sins of omission. That is what I got from this year's reading of a Dicken's holiday story. I read one every Christmas to get into the holiday spirit. (See also: The Haunted Man ).

I'm not a huge fan of Dickens, because I find reading him laborious. Yet, that is really my only gripe with him. I love the characters, settings and situations he created. I just wish he hadn't been so
Due to my large tbr, reviews will follow in 2015, but all I can say is that there aren't enough drugs in the world that will help me to understand the second part of the story completely.^^
Four Quarters May Not Always Make a Whole

In the autumn of 1844 Dickens was staying in Genoa and working on a second Christmas story which was due to an agreement with his new publishers and with which he wanted to reprise the success of A Christmas Carol. For quite a long time, the prolific author was at a loss about how to begin – maybe because he was working in surroundings unwonted to him – until he finally came up with the idea of writing the story of old and poor Toby Veck, a ticket porter,
This is the second of Dickens' three Christmas books. Like the first book in the series, "A Christmas Carol," "The Chimes" takes place during the "Hungry Forties." That would be the 1840's.

The main character, Trotty Veck, is a very poor man who works as a ticket porter on the streets of London. He adores his daughter Meg who is on the verge of marrying her love named Richard. Meg and Richard are going to get married on New Year's Day.

Trotty loves the church chimes and he and Meg feel the chimes
Renee M

Overall, I'm disappointed. But I suspect it's because I'm so fond of A Christmas Carol. The language and description here are sumptuous. But the characters have no depth or nuance. And the "blow for the poor" misses the mark. It's too obviously preachy.

In CC, Dickens us more successful because he shows his audience the path to change. He has spirits show Scrooge a bleak future to affect his present. In this, we see a bleak future for no apparent reason. Trotty does not change, no
Following Dickens's success with A Christmas Carol he started a tradition of releasing a new story each year at Christmas time. His second Christmas story was The Chimes. The book follows an old porter/messenger in London named Trotty Veck. As with Christmas Carol and many of his other works, Dickens has plenty of focus on the social structure of the country. Trotty is a very poor old widower with a single daughter, Meg. At the onset of the book, Meg brings Trotty lunch and announces that she pl ...more
More of a winter's tale or New Year's fable than a Christmas story, The Chimes touches on the same themes as most of Dickens' other works, mainly the plight of the poor. Some of the upper class characters are stilted up even higher on their horses then the infamous Ebeneezer Scrooge of A Christmas Carol.

But upon finishing the book one might suddenly realize that it is not about the misery of the poor and the war of the classes. It is really about how to enjoy life no matter what your circumstanc
The Chimes is the story for New Year's Day. Dickens followed up his Christmas Carol in his series of Christmas stories with The Chimes, again with a deep moral and message for the society of the Victorian age. The characters are typically Dickensian, with an old porter Trotty Veck as the main character. Trotty learns from the Chimes after a journey with the spirits, that good come come from all men no matter their station and the poor are not destined to be bad. An enjoyable read, maybe rather m ...more

This novella is about Trotty Veck, a poor porter who lives near a church with a set of impressive bells that chime the hours. Like many of Dickens' stories, he is downtrodden and ekes out a meager living. His kind and humble daughter is about to be married on New Year's Day, but when he shares this with some of the Aldermen (wealthy and snobby) they discourage the marriage warning the young couple that they will be doomed to a life of poverty. The bride will soon be tied down with l
Not a Christmas book in the sense of its predecessor, A Christmas Carol, but a book which features the New Year celebration, and while relevant to the political climate of the day, it has no appeal for the modern reader in getting one into the Christmas spirit. I'll not be rereading. Details of plot etc are included in the Wikipedia entry linked below.

Mike Jensen
A few years back, I decided to read Dickens’s five Christmas book in consecutive Decembers. In 2002 it was THE CHIMES, a rather dreary book that seems to try for some of the charm of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, but does not come very close. Perhaps I simply do not get this book, but I did not find the prose up to Dickens’s best, the story compelling, or the experience worthwhile.
Although this little story was far from Dickens's best; it certainly did not give 'A Christmas Carol' a run for its money, I can not help but be enthralled by Dickens's writing. Even in this book where the plot is somewhat lacking, Dickens still manages to charm me. Much as there were many great Victorian writers, for me, Dickens is peerless.
I love Dickens. I have made it a goal to read all of his works. But I can see why this particular story isn't well known. It's Dickens at his preachiest, and as such the story isn't as well crafted. It's more of a finger-wag than a novella.
Χριστούγεννα με τον Ντίκενς:
Another Christmas book by Charles Dickens and it does not fail to impress me. Dickens wonderfully describes his characters; the divide between rich and poor; destitute and hopelessness; consequences of giving up and killing faith.

The chimes mounted at the church tower have always enchanted Trotty, our central character, and he presumes the haunting tune of the chimes reciting messages to him. When he has succumbed to the gloom and despair met out to the poor by the rich and prosperous, he is sum
Morgan Blayney
Dickens wrote five Christmas books, and this is the second after A Christmas Carol. This book has similarities in supernatural visits and visions, but it didn't have the same poignancy for me. The typical Dickens descriptions were nice, but the character development seen in Scrooge isn't found in Trotty the protagonist.
Released a year after 'A Christmas Carol' in 1844, 'The Chimes: A Goblin Story of Some Bells that Rang an Old Year Out and a New Year In' is the second addition in Dickens' series of 'Christmas Books'. 'The Chimes' sought to change certain dominant socio-political assumptions in general; especially in the regard of the 'putting down' of the lower classes.

Despite all of its redeeming features, 'The Chimes' will forever lie in the shadow of its predecessor. As a campaigning story it was more ambit
Read in tandem (unintentionally) this morning with The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra and was struck by the bells in each. Thích Nhất Hạnh's slender volume explains that a bell is a bodhisattva:

"A bell is a bohisattva,' Thay said, "It helps us to wake up." With that in mind, when the bell was invited to sound we would put down our garden tools, our hammers, our paint brushes or pen, and come to ourselves for a moment for a moment, breathing with a natural
Dec 10, 2014 Lily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: For a blustery winter night before the fire
Recommended to Lily by: Victorians board on Goodreads
Certainly not my favorite among Dickens Christmas stories. Has a few lovely descriptive passages. The story itself is rather weak. The powerful and wealthy are savaging cartooned -- almost beyond caricature. But the poor are not really attractively treated either, except in a rather soapy, sentimental way.

But, perhaps on a bleary, blustery wintery night after the holidays, when the fireplace is lit, take the few minutes to read passages such as these:

"For the night-wind has a dismal trick of wan
Caroline Åsgård
Since I read this as a part of this A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Stories, I'm just gonna copy what I wrote in the Victorians! group when this was the book of the month.

I really enjoyed it. I actually haven't read it before, but it's easy to tell that it's a good old Charles Dickens story.
I think he was really successful with the ''strike a blow for the poor''. You see the social differences from the view of the ones down below.
My heart warmed at how kind Trotty is to strangers, and that
A follow up of A Christmas Carol, but not nearly as well known. while the protagonist of A Christmas Carol is a wealthy employer who despises the poor, the protagonist of this novel is one of the poor himself, lowly porter Trotty, who sadly has been infused with feeling of low self-worth with which he views the working class as a whole.
His daughter Meg is engaged to married to Richard, and while he has misgivings Trotty hides them ,but then three pompous, judgemental upper class figures visit an
Willem van den Oever
Though very similar in set-up to “A Christmas Carol” and written just as skillfully by Dickens, “The Chimes” is far more melodramatic in tone, making it harder to enjoy. Even though all the right themes are there. It brings an interesting point across in a variation on the idea which made “A Christmas Carol” so poignant and successful – namely to correct one’s wrongs and reconnect with those around you which were cast aside. Here, with “The Chimes”, Trotty Veck never drifts apart from his relati ...more
I've known the Christmas Carol, in one edition or another, all my life. Somehow I'd never heard of the Chimes until I found this copy at a Church book sale (the inscription was to someone's Mother, dated the Christmas before). I picked it up out of curiosity, and expected it to be a light diversion.

It is funny. The characters are much more humorous than any in Scrooge's story, but the story was probably somewhat subversive in Dickens day, and is still deeply so today. Will Fern's speech before t
Tom Andersson
Ganska rörig berättelse om uteliggare i Dickens London. Berättelsen har många likheter med "En julsaga", huvudpersonen guidas igenom en eventuell framtid av övernaturliga väsen.

Berättelsen har dock ett ganska tydligt och viktigt budskap. Vid ett tillfälle i boken träffar huvudpersonen en domare som läxar upp honom och berättar att han skall avskaffa tiggeri, lösdriveri, fattigast rätt att gifta sig och tillslut kommer han även fram till att han skall avskaffa dessa omoraliska fattiga helt och h
You have to like Dickens' elaborate and indulgent sentence construction to enjoy this New Year tale, and you have to allow him waggon loads of sentimentality, so passionate is he in his desire to convey the injustices of the times. The characters are writ large and the villains are wealthy, empowered and heartless, whilst the central characters are poor, powerless and loving. It is simplistic, but it is also convincing and leaves one angry for the victims of that society as well as fearful that ...more
This is perhaps the darkest of Dickens' Christmas tales and while it has the customary happy end, it's a pretty disheartening journey to it. Do not read of you're looking for an uplifting story to get you in the holiday spirit.

And to those that say this story has no echo in today's day and age, I'm not sure in what blind world you live in.
I kept thinking I'd missed something. There's an awful lot of allegory in there but not quite enough story. Is it an early version of Its a Wonderful Life with Trotty Veck as a personality free George Bailey?

There is a reason why A Christmas Carol is read and loved by millions and this is relatively unknown: its nowhere near as good.
No sé, no me gustó.

No terminé de entender la idea del cuento, demasiados párrafos que daban vueltas y vueltas y terminaba perdiéndome.

Los personajes, un grupo de pobres desdichados y unos burgueses adinerados, no me agradaron. Tampoco me despertaron simpatía. Fría y triste indiferencia.
Nothing of any importance happened until the very end. The story has a good moral, but could've been told in a page or two without missing anything. It's also hard to follow, like he wrote it while high on something.
  • A Walk in the Night and Other Stories
  • Heart of the West
  • Nightmare Abbey; Crotchet Castle
  • A Sandy's Seashell Shop Christmas
  • Cousin Henry
  • Learn Pole Dancing (Single Wide Female: The Bucket List #1)
A prolific 19th Century author of short stories, plays, novellas, novels, fiction and non-fiction; during his lifetime Dickens became known the world over for his remarkable characters, his mastery of prose in the telling of their lives, and his depictions of the social classes, morals and values of his times. Some considered him the spokesman for the poor, for he definitely brought much awarenes ...more
More about Charles Dickens...

Christmas Books (5 books)
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The Cricket on the Hearth
  • The Battle Of Life
  • The Haunted Man

“A new heart for a New Year, always!” 18 likes
“So may the New Year be a happy one to you, happy to many more whose happiness depends on you!” 8 likes