Start by marking “Envoy to New Worlds” as Want to Read:
Envoy to New Worlds

Envoy to New Worlds (Retief #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Between the lines of the official histories of the frontier worlds of the 29th Century lie myriad confidential accounts of the boners, near-catastrophes, and interstellar crises that were bound to occur when human meets non-human. The adventures of CDC (Corps Diplomatique Terra) diplomat Jame Retief loom large in six highly classified missions where brain and brawn save la ...more
Paperback, #20730, 134 pages
Published 1969 by Ace Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Envoy to New Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Envoy to New Worlds

Richard
As you learned in a recent episode of Rodent's Digest, I try not to bother reviewing or rating books that already have huge numbers of reviews and ratings because my little warblings just get lost in the noise. So I'm not going to rate all of the Retief books. This may be the only one, in fact. But I assure you, I have read them all. Some I've read several times, in several seasons. They are among the select few SciFi books I've carted around with me for decades. They're simply amusing. Like God ...more
An Odd1
"Envoy to New Worlds" by Keith Laumer sends Corps Diplomatique Terran Jame Retief on six missions AD 2940+ where brain and brawn save land and lives despite red tape bound superiors amid conspiracy and conflct across alien planets. Always funny, re-read 4+ times. The digital era looks askance at reel and spool historical recordings, numerically specified for versimilitude p6. The heavy French lingual influence is forced in Canada; Chinese in dvd TV "Firefly" probable; USA likely southern Spanish ...more
Traummachine
I recently read this along with Retief's War. It had been a long time since I'd read any Retief, although I've read several of Laumer's serious works in the interim.

In the short stories, there's a larger percentage spent on the setup, so I enjoyed this more than the novel. They also contained a lot more of the dry wit I was looking for. Still, the descriptions of Retief's quick jabs, upper cuts, and barrel rolls get kinda old.

It's rare to find Laumer in a used bookstore, but that's probably the
Edward Lengel
A nice start to the Retief series. Not as slapstick as the later entries, and the plots to these short stories are sometimes a little dense, but it's good for more than a few good laughs and definitely an enjoyable quick read.
Zekses
Oldstyle science fiction with a touch of irony - always a welcome mix on my shelf. While not a masterpiece, the book is a very light and satisfying read that leaves you wanting for more.
Babete
Dos tempos em que devorava livros de ficção científica este é um dos melhores. Pleno de humor, li e reli vezes sem conta, delicioso!
Saul
Hilarious! Though I would say the level of humor is not always the same in each story. Laumer did experiment. Still, Laumer is one of the few unsung greats of humor SF.
Shannon Appelcline
Laumer's writing is off very spare and somewhat unpolished in this book, but moments of humor shine through.
Peter
It's Reteif.... diplomat extroidinaire
Jeremy Nelson
Jeremy Nelson marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Steve H
Steve H marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Richard Colin
Richard Colin marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Begemot
Begemot marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kengermercomcast.net
Kengermercomcast.net marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Doc99
Doc99 marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Raven Lokison
Raven Lokison marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Elanor Cao
Elanor Cao marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • Hospital Station (Sector General, #1)
  • Agent of Vega & Other Stories
  • Ensign Flandry (Flandry, #1)
  • Flatlander (Known Space)
  • Galactic Derelict (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #2)
  • Robots Have No Tails
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • Polymath (Zarathustra Refugee Planets, #2)
  • Planets of Adventure
  • And the Devil Will Drag You Under
  • Jinx on a Terran Inheritance (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #2)
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution, #4)
  • Paratime
John Keith Laumer (9 June 1925–23 January 1993) was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known f
More about Keith Laumer...
Bolo Retief! (Retief) Honor of the Regiment Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side The Unconquerable: Bolos 2