Start by marking “Hulk Vol. 1: Red Hulk” as Want to Read:
Hulk Vol. 1: Red Hulk

Hulk Vol. 1: Red Hulk (Hulk, Volume II #1)

SC, TPB, in cello, New, Written by JEPH LOEB. Art and cover by ED MCGUINNESS. Published in February of 2009, Softcover, 144 pages, full color. Cover price $19.99.
Published February 25th 2009 by Marvel (first published November 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hulk Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hulk Vol. 1

Jeff
Apr 30, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
So who the heck is the Red Hulk?

Before I answer that question yet another word about reading a series of books out of order. I already knew who it was because I’ve read Jeph Loeb’s Red Hulk run out of sequence and this makes me loath the tricksy, B.S. revelation at the end of this volume. Really Mr. Loeb? Even Stan Lee wouldn’t stoop that low.

The plot summary: There’s a new Hulk running around. His first order of business was to kill (with a gun?) the old Hulk’s nemesis, the Abomination. How do
Anne
Jun 19, 2014 Anne rated it liked it

HULK SMASH!

Yeah, so this is the beginning of the Red Hulk story arc, and it's not too shabby. I think you'd have to be a huge Hulk fan to really love it (Jeff), but if are then this should be right up your alley.

Banner is locked up at a secure facility, in a room designed to gas him if he even starts looking slightly green.
But when has that ever stopped Hulk?
Hulk not stupid. Hulk hold breath.
And, apparently, Banner has a decent lung capacity, as well.

Enter the Red Hulk!
He pops up on
Terence
Someone big killed Abomination. He leaves massive footprints melted in his wake and his punches cause natural disasters. The Red Hulk has arrived.
description

I was expecting a lot more from this, but it was basically the standard punching found in Hulk comics with a little bit of whodunit. Who is the Red Hulk, no one knows. There wasn't much happening other than Red Hulk beating people up.
David
Dec 17, 2013 David rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ten-year-olds, Red Hulks, reviewers who write in Hulk tense
What this? Red Hulk? Hulk not red! Hulk GREEN! Hulk not read Hulk comics in long time. Who all these people? Rick Jones is Blue Hulk? No, he Blue Abomination, but call self "A-Bomb." Hulk thinks this is a stupid name.

Red Hulk start like murder mystery. She-Hulk, with spandex spray-painted on Hulk-boobs, with Doc Samson in Russia, find Abomination dead. Doc Samson say Hulk not only beat Abomination but then shot with big Hulk-gun. WTF? Since when Hulk use gun? But turn out it not Hulk at all, it
Donovan
Aug 31, 2015 Donovan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hulk

Well, comic #3 in my comic slump. This is exactly the type of Hulk comic I don't need. I expected more from Jeph Loeb. The art looks great, it's super clean and bright. The dialog is pretty good. But this is just a Michael Bay smash fest. And there's no reveal. We don't even find out who Red Hulk is. (view spoiler). We know he's been tasked to kill Hulk (view spoiler)
Martin
Jul 24, 2012 Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, favourites
Who is the Red Hulk? To fully appreciate Jeph Loeb's crazy idea (which works, on some level), one needs to stick it out until issue 24 (the end of volume 6), but here is where it all started.

I always enjoy this book, no matter how many times I read it, and while I can understand some people's criticisms regarding this book (let's face it: there is a LOT of punching and fighting), it is the whole novelty of the Red Hulk character, the mystery surrounding him, and the over-the-top story that makes
Andy
May 25, 2011 Andy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I thought it was a "can't lose" type of read: An author I admire, an artist I enjoy, and a character I love. But I was very disappointed.

The characters are shallow and predictable. Twice in six very brief issues there is the all-to-common "this is my jurisdiction" brawl between two groups of heroes (how many times have you seen that played out in movies or on episodes of Law and Order?). The overall effect is that all of the "heroes" seem like ego-centric drama queens bi
Jon M
Dec 05, 2013 Jon M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a new Hulk in town, and he is defeating every hero and villain you can think of! He defeated Iron Man, most of S.H.I.E.L.D, She-Hulk, The Abomination and even Uatu The Watcher and Thor! Obviously, he is not worthy of holding Thor's hammer, but he managed to pick it up and it took him to the MOON! He smashed Thor into the moon and jumped down and landed safely on his feet on the ground, creating a huge crater.

This Hulk is red, and the Green Hulk is getting all the blame. No one knows who
Iris Nevers
Jul 01, 2015 Iris Nevers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Nice artwork and plot.
Holden Attradies
I had heard a lot of good things about this story line and this run of Hulk comics. I think back on that and wonder where the hell I DID hear that, because it seems almost everyone that HAS read it felt the same way I did: incredibly disappointed.

Maybe it's the fact that there is the potential for a REALLY good story here, and I can see that great amazing five start story if I squint my eyes real hard and ignore 95% of what actually happens in the pages. So before I get in to my long list of all
Jeff
Feb 06, 2013 Jeff rated it it was ok
The lofty heights that Hulk stories reached with Planet Hulk comes to a ground-crashing halt here. The Red Hulk story line is basically one long chain of fight sequences with very little plot to hold it together. A mysterious Red Hulk appears, killing the Abomination and then creating a swath of destruction across the United States. She-Hulk, Iron Man, A-Bomb, Thor, and Hulk engage is a series of two-page splash fight sequences to try and take down the villain. And when one finally does... well, ...more
Will Robinson Jr.
Feb 24, 2015 Will Robinson Jr. rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is an easily accessible comic book story. Jeph Loeb delivers something akin to Saturday morning cartoon show affair. Ed McGuinness was a artist to choose for this story. I feel like he draws the perfect muscular pumped up superheroes and action scenes. So those comic readers looking for a fun filled and fantastic looking comic book always look for this artist. The weakness to this book is the simplicity of the plot. A Red Hulk shows up and begins challenging the mightiest of super humans on ...more
Craig Williams
Apr 06, 2010 Craig Williams rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed like it was going to be cool at first. I mean, the Hulk versus a Red Hulk? It's a bit borrowed from the Gray Hulk story-arc, but hell, I'll read it! I wanted to know who the Red Hulk was, and how his power differed from the Green Hulk (if it differed at all). This story just turned out to be nine kinds of retarded. The Red Hulk was annoying, and seemed to be everywhere at once, which confused me. The dialogue throughout the story was corny as hell, and nothing drags a Hulk story ...more
Lloyd
May 05, 2012 Lloyd rated it liked it
The Abomination is dead.

Iron Man, She-Hulk, and Leonard Samson are on the case at the beginning of this one. They find the killer to be... THE RED HULK!

What?! The Hulk's GREEN, isn't he?

This marks the beginning of the era where there are a red Hulk and a green Hulk.

The story was okay. The green Bruce Banner Hulk actually does join the fray, along with Thor and The Fantastic Four. I think it was a lot of fun despite inexplicable plot holes like Hulk being reduced to "HULK SMASH!" when speaking,
Richard
Mar 21, 2010 Richard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
And thus does my brief lover affair with Hulk Stories come to a crashing halt. Jeph Loeb gives us a terribly commonplace Hulk tale - it's odd to say that a story where everyone has a secret agenda and no one can be trusted is commonplace but Loeb apparently has forgotten that Bruce Jones did a really good "secret conspiracy to get the Hulk" story in 2002. Eight years ago is apparently long enough that we can pretend no one read those.

The notion of the Red Hulk could be interesting as a spin on t
Fizzgig76
Reprints Hulk #1-6. The world is menaced by a new Red Hulk, and the Hulk and Thor set out to stop him. Not much happens in Red Hulk. The Red Hulk kills, the Hulk gets mad, and the Red Hulk and Hulk fight. The writing is pretty embarrassing ("Oh the humanity" crash of the Helicarrier comes to mind...that thing crashes every other issue it appears). That being said, it is sadly better than a lot of Loeb's writing and at points is halfway enjoyable in its "just keep punching each other" mentality. ...more
Adam
Oct 27, 2009 Adam rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Red Hulk different from Green Hulk. Who is Red Hulk? Red Hulk smash Abomination! Red Hulk smash She-Hulk! Red Hulk smash Iron Man! Red Hulk smash Green Hulk! Red Hulk smash Thor! Green Hulk use rope-a-dope on Red Hulk. Green Hulk smash Red Hulk!

That's about all you need to know. Oh, and the Red Hulk is perfectly articulate, while the Green Hulk is not. The shifting abilites of the Incredible Hulk (the green one) to express himself verbally are strange and confusing if you're like me and only che
Alex Neilson
May 08, 2015 Alex Neilson rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'd expected more exposition and/or explanation in a collection of issues 1-6 of a comic book series, but it seems that the big two companies are busy rebooting everything that stands still for 5 minutes.
Some fairly decent Hulk vs. Hulk battles, but nothing really stands out to me. There's no origin story for any of the 4 Hulk-type characters in the book, one of which I only heard about for the first time in this book.
Jamil
Mar 28, 2009 Jamil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1. Red Hulk/Green Hulk should totally be an elementary school gym class game.
2. It should NOT be a comic.
3. Or, at the very least, NOT THIS comic.
4. Audrey Loeb gets it though. She can totally writes circles around her dad.
5. In "Hulk Art Class", "Hulk Splash" & "Hulk Zoo", she writes the best Hulk comics since Kochalka.
6. Rip those 3 pages out. Toss the rest.
7. Hulk Trash.
J.
Dec 18, 2011 J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story was alright and provided a nice mystery, but nothing resolves! Actually, other than a lot of punching, nothing really happened. Luckily, this was mostly in the form of full-page spreads, so it went quick. This worked well as a mystery, but poorly as a character introduction--the Red Hulk just doesn't seem that interesting so far.
M
Jul 31, 2011 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writer Jeph Loeb actually gets me interested in the Hulk by introducing a mysterious new behemoth - a Red Hulk! Opening with the death of the Abomination, the story lays just enough clues to keep you suspecting everyone of being this deadly Red Hulk. An odd concept, but one that will ultimately pay off by the end.
Jerry Daniels
Red Hulk becomes a series of smackdowns after the title character is revealed to be responsible for a murder that some want to pin on the original Hulk. While the battles between Red Hulk and Iron Man, Thor, and the villain Abomination each are enjoyable and at times drawn out, they help maintain an interest until the reveal about Red Hulk's origins.
Jason
Eh. I cancelled Red Hulk from my pull list after 4 issues, but thought I'd see how it ended anyway. Turns out my judgment was accurate on this one. There's absolutely no need for a red Hulk in the Marvel Universe. One Hulk is more than enough. Mediocre storyline- by the end I didn't care who Red Hulk was.
Hrishi
Jun 13, 2015 Hrishi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK this was a fun, short read - and my appreciation for it was only ruined by the fact that I know who Red Hulk actually is. When the issues came out and that identity was a secret, this must've been more fun.

As it stands, there's a lot of gratuitous fighting, some epic panels, and lots of hardware and cityscapes being blown to hell. Pretty fun read if you like this sort of smashy thing
Ed Nemo
Sep 08, 2012 Ed Nemo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Just picking up this book and flipping through it, is amazing. The pages are thick and glossy. The artwork by Ed McGuinness is colorful and vibrant. The story is Jeph Loeb at his most fun.

Who is the Red Hulk? What is going on with Rick Jones? Is that cosmic peeping tom, the Watcher, ever going to get what's coming to him? All of these questions are answered in the book!

Excelsior!
Dan
Jan 07, 2013 Dan rated it liked it
Slighty campy battles with some of Marvels top guns. It was an okay read. Finding out who the Red Hulk left me feeling ripped off, as I had no clue who he was or why he would seek revenge on the Hulk. Some parts of the story seemed to be really dumbed down for a child to understand, but then some of the language was of adult situations. Not great, but not bad story.
Andres
Jun 05, 2012 Andres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since a read a comic book. I really like the panel transition action on the kindle.
Fun, clean, and hulk smashing action. Most Marvel comics are PG-13 now-a-days. Refreshing to see it toned down to PG.

Who is the red hulk? Volume one does not answer this, neither thus volume 2 or 3.
Alex
Apr 23, 2012 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story arc throws out any rules that Marvel had established in its entire history in favor of a shitty murder mystery. You can't use Thor's Hammer just because you're stronger than him. Really really bad. I picked up the last issue just to see if things were going to resolve well. Of course, they didn't. Ugh...
Mario
May 22, 2010 Mario rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reprehensible story, severely erroneous usage of characters, and completely ignoring everything prior to this series. This is essentially written by a five year playing in his sandbox, while coming up with a Randy Newton like song.
Craig
Feb 18, 2013 Craig rated it liked it
Not nearly as bad as I feared it would be, or as I'd been led to believe. The story is clearly dumb as two short planks, but the actual writing isn't offensively poor and McGuinness' cartoon-y, heavy, splash-centric style suits what's being portrayed.
  • Incredible Hulk, Volume 1: Son of Banner
  • Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge
  • Moon Knight, Volume 1: The Bottom
  • Ultimatum: Requiem
  • Captain Britain and MI13, Vol. 1: Secret Invasion
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major
More about Jeph Loeb...

Hulk, Volume II (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hulk, Volume 2: Red and Green