Start by marking “Somebody” as Want to Read:

Somebody

At the age of 15, a girl who has spent most of her life moving around the country with her father and brother remembers her real name, and is moved to search the Internet to learn the truth about her mother and her own past.
Published April 1st 2009 by Holiday House (first published March 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellDumplin' by Julie   MurphyThe DUFF by Kody Keplinger45 Pounds by K.A. BarsonFat Angie by E.E. Charlton-Trujillo
Plus-Size YA Heroines
99 books — 105 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenThe Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Mind
392 books — 479 voters

More lists with this book...

Cara
Jan 22, 2011 Cara rated it liked it
Everyone wants to feel like they're "somebody". This book deals with how it feels like to not to have your own identity, and how important it is to find it.

Surprisingly Sherica actually remembers her name, even though her father has toted her and her brother from town to town, and you guessed it they always change their names. Along with changing their names they alter their whole entire looks. Sherica can't even remember what her real hair color is. Her older brother seems to be fine with how
Marjorie Light
Jul 31, 2009 Marjorie Light rated it it was amazing
When a proven, talented, award-winning writer like Nancy Springer has a new book out, it is wise to take notice. In her recent offering, SOMEBODY, we meet a girl who needs to be noticed, as well.

As the novel opens, we do not know the name of the main character (MC) telling her story through first person narration, and we soon discover why. There is a mystery swirling around her and her family’s need to move from two-bit town to another; and it takes a library nerd to help her get to the heart of
Fleur Bradley
Mar 20, 2012 Fleur Bradley rated it really liked it
Another book with a skinny spine! I know, it sounds like I’m a lazy reader, but I really want to see how authors do when using fewer pages.

Somebody tells us about Sherica, who’s keeps moving and gets a new name with each place she and her father and brother move to. She’s 15, and is beginning to question what her father has been telling her. Is her mother really a floozy who ran out on them?

Sherica (her real name) finds out through an internet search that she’s a missing girl, and that her mothe
Diane Ferbrache
Jun 16, 2010 Diane Ferbrache rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The teen protagonist is a girl whose family has changed names and locations repeatedly for almost as long as she can remember. Her dad and brother seem comfortable with it all, but Sherica (her "real" name) begins to wonder if her father is being truthful about everything.

This is a brief story, a quick read because of its brevity but also because the reader is sucked in immediately. I read it in an afternoon. Teens should really enjoy this book. I really liked the relationship between Sherica a
Theresa C
Nov 06, 2010 Theresa C rated it liked it
Nancy Springer Holiday House c2009 ISBN978-0-8234-2099

I really enjoyed reading through this short novel about a 15 year old girl who discovers that her father has abducted her. After ten years she is making the courageous attempt to find her mother and return home. The story is fast paced and riveting although I thought the ending fell short in that the author didn't go far enough to explain to the reader the circumstances surrounding her abduction. I felt it could have used a few additi
Ramarie
Sep 25, 2009 Ramarie rated it liked it
With a tight and focused plot--coming in at just over 100 pages--this is a quick read about a young teen questioning her identity. Her name and her home have changed many times over the years, as she's moved with her father and brother. As she begins to question why her life is so strange, she comes to the realization that perhaps the lies about her mother aren't all true, and her life on the move may be part of a bigger deception. The author stays focused on the main character and her burgeonin ...more
Nick
Feb 23, 2009 Nick rated it liked it
Nancy Springer's knowledge of libraries seems strangely limited, at best, but the story is an interesting one. It is immediately clear to the reader that the girl's father is on the run from something, but what? As the story quickly unfolds, the main character is faced with difficult choices.
This one seems to have been written as a "quick read" for reluctant readers, or to give support to teen girls who have family problems. As such, I think it succeeds, but the high-speed, short-attention-span
Mrs. Tongate
Jun 29, 2012 Mrs. Tongate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, quick-reads
A great quick read for both middle and high school students. Read aloud pages 1-2 for intro.

Sherica, 15, always moving and getting a new name with each place she and her father and brother move to. She’s is beginning to question what her father has been telling her. Is her mother really a floozy who ran out on them?

Sherica (her real name) finds out through an internet search at the Public Library that she’s a missing girl, and that her mother has spent the past 10 years looking for her. Now she
Karina Tavarez
Aug 30, 2009 Karina Tavarez rated it it was amazing
This book is about a 15 year old girl who has to move from place to place . She has a low self esteem but that doesn't stop her . The reason she moves from place to place is because her dad did not have custody of Sherica and her brother and took them anyway . Sherica doesn't find that out until later in the story with the help of her friend named Mason . Finally one day Sherica decides to find her mom , she leaves a runaway note for her brother and father . She gets her mothers phone number fro ...more
Terry
Apr 23, 2009 Terry rated it really liked it
This was a quick read. I finished it in one night. The story is simple: a girl and her brother and dad move a lot and keep changing names. And their dad won't let them take pictures of themselves or get on the Internet. Hmmm, something sounds fishy. Let's just say that things aren't quite right with this family, but to find out the whole story, you'll have to read the book. The writing is good and will keep you reading. Recommended for middle school and up. Girls will especially like this book.
Denise
Nov 24, 2010 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-book-club
Although the professional journals didn't like it much, I did. Sherica fills the whole in her heart from the absence of her mother with junk food, which her dad is happy to supply. He wants her to look nothing like her childhood self because he kidnapped Sherica and her brother from their mom. This is about how and if Sherica has the self-confidence to look for her mom by herself. The narration is spot-on "teen talk."
Chelsea
Mar 18, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Wow very intense book. I keep thinking what happened to Marten? I am intrigued how this book progressed, I was shocked at how Sherica's dad and brother treated her, and I was even more shocked that she let them. It was a bit hard to read with the writing reflecting Sherica's very young though teenage thoughts. 4.5 stars.
Janelle Hammonds
Oct 16, 2016 Janelle Hammonds rated it really liked it
Brian
Mar 31, 2009 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Read this in one sitting which means a couple of things, 1) it is a very short book at 117 pages, and 2) it is immediately engaging and familiar... familiar yes, like an afterschool special from 1975 with Sally Fields as 'the mom'... but nevertheless... I'd recommend.
Owlboyle
Mar 11, 2016 Owlboyle rated it it was ok
This story about child abduction is written in the child's voice. It addresses issues that adults might not think about. This is not my favorite type of story, but it is one that does push your thinking out of your comfort zone.
Heather
Jul 09, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Not a deep book, but an easy (and short!) one, and an inviting one for reluctant readers. Not intensely similar, but it still made me think of The Face on the Milk Carton. You may need to suspend belief slightly at the way events unfold and wrap up, but I would still recommend it to teens.
Heather
May 25, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
When all you've known is constant relocation, what happens when you want more? Without a real name--only "fat" names--what does a teen do to realize she is somebody? A thoughtful book about being who you are...
Daria
Jan 01, 2010 Daria rated it it was ok
This would be a great book to grab reluctant readers, as it's short and pretty fast moving. However, more discerning and/or experienced readers will likely find the plot to be fairly predictable and the characters to be pretty one dimensional.
Christine Crawford
Aug 26, 2009 Christine Crawford rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Will probably appeal to a lot of teens. It's a quick read and interesting enough story. Personally I would have liked a little more character development (on pretty much all of the characters), but other than that I enjoyed it.
Sabrina Marie
Jun 18, 2012 Sabrina Marie rated it it was amazing
A very fast paced book. Came into work two hours early and read the whole thing before my shift actually started. Definitely not an indepth story but a pleasant read to pass some time when a whole lot of concentration isn't needed. In genereal for what it is I really enjoyed it.
Martha
Apr 04, 2009 Martha rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle school and up
Shelves: teens, 2009
Yep - you don't know what's not normal if you have lived it all your life. And you really don't know other people's stories as well as you may think you do. This seemed to me to be a realistic portrayal of characters.
Mary Ann
Feb 20, 2011 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
A very powerful story that shadows far too many young people.
Bentoboxcreature22
Aug 14, 2014 Bentoboxcreature22 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Wonderful, realistic, and inspiring heroine, plot, and resolution.
Kiante Phelps
Oct 31, 2014 Kiante Phelps rated it it was amazing
one of my fav books! ive been reading it over and over again since 4th grade something i would tell any of my friends to read.
Connie
Jul 06, 2009 Connie rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
Kind of hated this book. It was just so implausible.
Nov 20, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
the book was a really short read and it was also a good book.
Caramia Milloway
May 28, 2009 Caramia Milloway rated it really liked it
Short, accessible, good story.
Amy
Oct 26, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
An interesting look at the life of a teen who was kidknapped by her father. Quik read for reluctant readers.
Yvette Muniz
Yvette Muniz rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
May 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chapter book choice 1 1 Sep 12, 2014 01:54PM
  • The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed (Patience Goodspeed, #1)
  • The September Sisters
  • Hans Brinker
  • Unforgettable
  • Fakie

BIO -- NANCY SPRINGER

Nancy Springer has passed the fifty-book milestone, having written that many novels for adults, young adults and children, in genres including mythic fantasy, contemporary fiction, magical realism, horror, and mystery -- although she did not realize she wrote mystery until she won the Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America two years in succession. DARK LIE
More about Nancy Springer...