Start by marking “The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality” as Want to Read:
The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality

The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  576 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Now in its 30th printing, this classic presents historical, archaeological, and anthropological evidence to support the theory that ancient Egypt was a black civilization.
Published July 1st 1989 by Chicago Review Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The African Origin of Civilization, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The African Origin of Civilization

Blood River by Tim ButcherThings Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeThe Liquidator by Iain ParkeLong Walk to Freedom by Nelson MandelaThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Books about AFRICA or by AFRICAN AUTHORS
40th out of 425 books — 212 voters
How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter RodneyThey Came Before Columbus by Ivan Van SertimaKing Leopold's Ghost by Adam HochschildDestruction of Black Civilization by Chancellor WilliamsPrecolonial Black Africa by Cheikh Anta Diop
Africa - Nonfiction
9th out of 69 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Donald
This book is full of information and facts exposing white washing of origins of Carthage, Egypt, etc. Every person of African descent should read this book. African history needs to be claimed back and told from the perspective of the African. It is a definitive work without a doubt
Highly recommended reading
Jerry
The author argues that the ancient Egyptians (Anu) were Negroes. Their gods Osiris and Isis were depicted as black. A bas-relief from the 18th Dynasty (16th century BC) depicts the order of races known to the Egyptians: Egyptians, Nahasi (Blacks), Namou (Asian), and Tamhou (tattooed whites). The Egyptians and Nahasi were different shades of reddish-brown.
The leading Egyptologists of the 19th century argued against the Negro origin of Egyptians, and their theories of a white Egyptian race won ou
Ben
if there is a bible of african history this is genesis
Katie
Let's just say Elizabeth Taylor was not accurately cast as Cleopatra.
Banole
This highly technical and scholarly book is fast becoming a classic in the study of ancient African history.
The book is actually an English translation of large parts of two of Dr. Cheikh Anta Diop’s works in French: “Nations Negres et Culture” and “Anteriorite des Civilizations Negres”.
The late Mercer Cook (French Professor Emeritus, Howard University) did a marvelous job translating the complex historical facts, themes and ideas of one of the world’s greatest scholars.
Diop boldly states his p
Tracey
Sep 04, 2008 Tracey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone of any race who is interested in Black Studies
Recommended to Tracey by: Dr. Clovis Semmes
this is one of the textbooks for an Intro to African American Studies class i'm taking. it's a little tough to read at times, but i think that's because i was overwhelmed at the amount of information Diop provided to counter claims made by historians. i'm looking forward to checking out some of the sources Diop cited in his arguments. there's so much history that we don't know...so much that has been denied, disrespected, and removed in relation to Africa. this book serves as a good foundation t ...more
conec
What struck me as most interesting were the claims of ancient Egypt springing from black Africa versus the claims that it could not have sprung from black Africa. Diop lays out two primary reasons as to why ancient Egypt likely sprung from black Africa. The more convincing reason was that ancient Egyptians as well as ancient writers in general believed that it did. Egyptians and ancient writers wrote that Egyptians originated from “the south”, or were at least related to those from the south.

Th
Kiesha
Tremendous amount of information within these pages. Fascinating and illuminating discoveries. Worthy of 5 stars had Diop not been difficult to follow at times. His argument seemingly jumps from points without much connection or reference. If you're going to read this text, I'd highly recommend a dictionary and encyclopedic source remain handy, otherwise this could become a frustrating read rather quickly. If you're up for the challenge--and hopefully you will be because it's SO worth the effort ...more
A.T. Hicks
Where should I start?

This book reformed my way of thinking about Egyptians and their portrayal in Euro-centric history. In a nutshell: through supreme intellectual prowess, slyness and meticulous scientific research, he shot every lie about Egyptians being white to hell.

A must read.

Peaches and the Gambler (#1) by A.T. Hicks
Justin
A somewhat misguided attempt to reverse colonialist denigration of sub-Saharan African capabilities. Egyptians have a wide range of variation, and range from Mediterranean to sub-Saharan African morphological characteristics. This doesn't mean all Egyptians were exclusively African in origin or that any modern people has a direct tie or claim to this ancient one.
Africanpersonalities2000
great book, was very revelatory to me, started reading this book when i was 21 and it gave me a vast perspective on reading literature of all sorts. Sometimes it's interesting to go back and look at those book just to how much influence such reading has on you...

peace and light

ap
Benard Akin
Very insightful not an easy read. You have to constantly think and check out the references, which makes it very insightful in my opinion.
Habeeb Akande
very afrocentric and at times there is a hint of exaggeration in its claims but still a useful book with some fascinating points
Murvin
Excellent! Excellent!
Robert Merriwether
Cheikh Anta Diop is one of the brilliant and courageous group of Black Scholars who emerged with works during the period of the 1960's & '70's to challenge the European Scholars' view of history, including the generally accepted and predominant views on the development of civilization and the contributions of the Black race in the development and advancement of civilization. The main thesis of "The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality", is that the ancient Pharaonic Egyptian Civil ...more
Jeremy Allen Phelps
I have read this book four times and each time I breathe a breath of fresh air. I cannot say enough about this man and his life's work. Wow! I had heard the his general thesis projected before by other researchers, but when I read this book with the detailed evidence I was more than convinced.
James Hall
One the best sources of research for anyone interested in refuting the predominate position that Africa contributed little to the world.
Meeka
Heavy going, had to be read very slowly. But it is so full of data and facts that he has thoroughly investigated.
Ochan Obang
very powerful
Andrew
Cheikh Anta Diop has to be one of the great African Thinkers of the twentieth century. From the time he published his thesis in 1954, he has consistently challenged western ideas on Africa and its relationship to Ancient Egypt.

“The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality” represents his definitive work on early African Civilization and the origins of the Ancient Egyptians.

Definitely a must read for anyone interested in African History.
Bird
I found this book on the Metro in DC years ago. What a godsend. I've been reading Egyptian and African history since. Oh, and the verdict is yes. And don't give me any Liberal White Shame crap. I done did the research, bubba.
Marrick
This is the history of the first African civilizations in Africa. This should be the starting point of any serious study of the history of African's in the Diaspora, including African-Americans.
Jahfree
A thought provoking book from one of Africa's foremost writers. Diop traces the link between between races and cultures and identifies the common thread (African) that links us all.
Jo Kennedy
i dont remember the details but eventually in the book it probably started descending into some heteronormative ankh nigga bullshit so i dipped
Khemauset Ankh
Wonderful it is to have an alternate, truer picture of African people. Tua Dr. Diop, Asante Sana, MOJUBA!
Kwame Fulani
The origins of Man - Woman are disclosed in the brothers research in great detail...
Derrick Wole Murray-Ifa
Deep concepts, hidden facts, and very well researched!!
Lynne
My Hannibal obsession continues...
Shawn Moffett
Truth is power!!!
  • Destruction of Black Civilization: Great Issues of a Race From 4500 B.C. To 2000 A.D.
  • They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America
  • Stolen Legacy
  • Black Athena: Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization, Volume I: The Fabrication of Ancient Greece, 1785-1985
  • Black Genesis: The Prehistoric Origins of Ancient Egypt
  • Two Thousand Seasons
  • How Europe Underdeveloped Africa
  • The Slave Trade: The Story of the Atlantic Slave Trade, 1440-1870
  • History of Africa
Cheikh Anta Diop was an Afrocentric historian, anthropologist, physicist and politician who studied the human race's origins and pre-colonial African culture.

Diop's first work translated into English, The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality, was published in 1974. It gained a much wider audience for his work. He proved that archaeological and anthropological evidence supported his view
More about Cheikh Anta Diop...
Civilization or Barbarism: An Authentic Anthropology Precolonial Black Africa Black Africa: The Economic and Cultural Basis for a Federated State Cultural Unity of Black Africa Nations Nègres Et Culture: De L'antiquité Nègre égyptienne Aux Problèmes Culturels De L'afrique Noire D'aujourd'hui

“Only a loyal, determined struggle to destroy cultural aggression and bring out the truth, whatever it may be, is revolutionary and consonant with real progress; it is the only approach which opens on to the universal. Humanitarian declarations are not called for and add nothing to real progress.” 0 likes
“When we say that the ancestors of the Blacks, who today live mainly in Black Africa, were the first to invent mathematics, astronomy, the calendar, sciences in general, arts, religion, agriculture, social organization, medicine, writing, technique, architecture; that they were the first to erect buildings out of 6 million tons of stone (the Great Pyramid) as architects and engineers—not simply as unskilled laborers; that they built the immense temple of Karnak, that forest of columns with its famed hypostyle hall large enough to hold Notre-Dame and its towers; that they sculpted the first colossal statues (Colossi of Memnon, etc.)—when we say all that we are merely expressing the plain unvarnished truth that no one today can refute by arguments worthy of the name.” 0 likes