Start by marking “America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918” as Want to Read:
America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918

America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Between August 1918 and March 1919 the Spanish influenza spread worldwide, claiming over 25 million lives, more people than those perished in the fighting of the First World War. It proved fatal to at least a half-million Americans. Yet, the Spanish flu pandemic is largely forgotten today. In this vivid narrative, Alfred W. Crosby recounts the course of the pandemic during ...more
Paperback, 2nd ed., 356 pages
Published July 21st 2003 by Cambridge University Press (first published January 26th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about America's Forgotten Pandemic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America's Forgotten Pandemic

Patrice
Aug 12, 2011 Patrice rated it it was amazing
I think this book is complimentary to Gina Kolata's work on the same topic. There is obviously some overlap. They both discuss the epidemic in 1918 and 1919 and they both discuss research since up to points of their respective dates of publication. Kolata's book spends less time on the epidemic and more time on the progression of research since leading up to isolating the 1918 strain of flu. The bulk of Crosby's book focuses on the epidemic and its impact on American and European civilians and m ...more
Caitlin
Jan 02, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
This is by far the scariest book I have ever read and the worst part about it is the fact that it's true! I read this book shortly before the H1N1 virus started making headlines earlier this year. The current strain is closely related to the strain from 1918. "Official" estimates at that time were that close to 30 million people died, but modern day historians and scientists think that many people died in India alone! Some estimates go as high as 100 million!

Crosby does a fantastic job of inform
Tom
Feb 06, 2014 Tom rated it liked it
I always wanted to read a history of the pandemic and finally got my chance. I didn't find too many books on the subject. I was hoping for a social history of the event. This book didn't provide that. It was interesting and provided much statistical information, and how authorities try to deal with the influenza but their was very little about the social impact of the disease. At the end of the book the author explains why the limited social history of the pandemic. It was a very short event, la ...more
Douglas
Dec 30, 2007 Douglas marked it as to-read
I had seen books and information about the Flu pandemic of 1918 and it is shocking how devasting this was. It was a form (I think) of avian flu which is scary because of recent incidents with asian bird flu issues. The 1918 strain was estimated to have killed between 50 to 100 million people based in some data I have seen. That is so scary.
I loved reading "Hot Zone" by Preston years ago and took some medical geography courses in college. I just find it fascinating how these medical detectives tr
Dan
Nov 02, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Very readable, and a useful overview. The constant, recurring theme was how much existing health systems and social systems--like systems of managing the dead--broke down under the stress of this incredibly fast-moving virus. In some ways, cities were lucky that it went so quickly; things like shortages of morticians and gravediggers were not long-lived.

The best chapter is the look at Samoa and Alaska: it demonstrates a very strong role for human agency in disease management.
Allen Elggren
Oct 13, 2014 Allen Elggren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to see how American Public Health will respond to Eubola, this is a the book to read. Not so encouraging.
Richard
Dec 19, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good chronicle of events that transpired in the 6 months prior to September 1918 and the six months after. The descriptions of what happened at Ft Devens and the naval prison on Deer Island in Massachusetts were of particular interest to me. I found it interesting that the government was issuing vaccines during and after the epidemic as a placebo. They actually had no idea what was going on. The idea of bacteria and virus was only about 50 years old at the time.
Julia
Dec 09, 2007 Julia rated it it was ok
Though it's considered to be one of the best sources on the flu pandemic of 1918, I found this book to be incredibly dry. Maybe it's my video-game, Hollywood blockbuster, TV violence up-bringing, but it felt as if it read like a roster of how many soldiers got sick and how many died in every single army company across the globe.
Joy
Apr 19, 2009 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves:
Bought it, set it aside. Started it, set it aside. It is well-written and interesting from an historical perspective, and full of stuff people just don't think about. (i.e., what was going on overseas during the War as people died at home in America from influenza.)
I have yet to get past page 50! But I WILL finish this book!
Spicedhamcatcher
Mar 29, 2012 Spicedhamcatcher rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, medical
Really fascinating look at the 1918 pandemic. I was impressed by the breadth of his coverage, with each topic - whether it was the affects on indigenous populations I Alaska & Western Samoa or how major political events were touched by the pandemic - each discussed in reasonable and interesting detail.
Helena
May 05, 2007 Helena rated it it was amazing
first published as epidemic and peace (before the recent bird flu concerns), this title more accurately describes its contents. still a great read if you are interested in the ways people and the government approach dealing with epidemic diseases throughout history.
Kelseypearl
Nov 18, 2010 Kelseypearl rated it really liked it
Probably would have gotten more out of it if I wasn't using it for my lit review.

It was full of useful information and graphs. An updated edition would be nice, especially on some of the correlations between H1N1.
Godlarvae
Apr 18, 2010 Godlarvae rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-interest
A very readable account of the flu pandemic of 1918. Almost to the point of a research paper but it was easy to skip the graphs and other notations.
Amazing the virulence and shortness of the disease--
CMT325
Feb 13, 2010 CMT325 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. It's scary to see how in about one year, a disease that could not be stopped spread around the world and killed so many,. However, the book is not written in a very interesting way.
Lynnanne
Jan 21, 2012 Lynnanne rated it really liked it
Interesting if you're interested in disease, and how it can spread.
A little tedious at parts, but an eye opener for sure...especially if your are a health care provider.
Maryann Jorissen
Oct 13, 2015 Maryann Jorissen rated it liked it
I found this book very dry and difficult to follow. I only read it to know more about the mysterious illness that had significant impact on both sides of my family.
Leslie
Jun 07, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
Great information, but really hard to get through! Lots of details about science and politics, etc.
Barb Moermond
Dec 18, 2010 Barb Moermond rated it it was amazing
This is an utterly fascinating book and I highly recommend it to any disease/history enthusiasts.
Survina
Mar 21, 2011 Survina rated it really liked it
Good read, great chapter on what happened in Alaska, cities and villages.
Kurt Johnson
Dec 29, 2011 Kurt Johnson rated it liked it
Interesting & scary
Collette Mcdonough
Collette Mcdonough marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Hannelore
Hannelore marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
David Costello
David Costello marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Brock Silvey
Brock Silvey marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Elizabeth Webster
Elizabeth Webster marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
about the book 1 2 Apr 02, 2014 09:39AM
  • Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic
  • The Cholera Years: The United States in 1832, 1849, and 1866
  • Asleep: The Forgotten Epidemic that Remains One of Medicine's Greatest Mysteries
  • Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82
  • The Mold in Dr. Florey's Coat: The Story of the Penicillin Miracle
  • A Time to Dance, a Time to Die: The Extraordinary Story of the Dancing Plague of 1518
  • The Doctors' Plague: Germs, Childbed Fever, and the Strange Story of Ignac Semmelweis
  • Pox: An American History
  • Disease: The Story of Disease and Mankind's Continuing Struggle Against It
  • Bring Out Your Dead: The Great Plague of Yellow Fever in Philadelphia in 1793
  • Before the Fallout: From Marie Curie to Hiroshima
  • The Barbary Plague: The Black Death in Victorian San Francisco
  • The Black Death and the Transformation of the West
  • Scourge: The Once and Future Threat of Smallpox
  • The Strange Case of the Broad Street Pump: John Snow and the Mystery of Cholera
  • Flu: The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus that Caused It
  • The Fever: How Malaria Has Ruled Humankind for 500,000 Years