Start by marking “Charisma” as Want to Read:
Charisma

Charisma

A powerful thriller of redemption, hope, and courage that overcomes all obstacles.

It began well - an experiment in techniques to teach high-risk children - poor, minority, children - the life-strategies that will allow them to succeed in life. And not just succeed, but overcome the odds and become wildly successful. They chose as their model a man who had done it all - Ale
Published July 13th 2003 by Forge Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Charisma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charisma

Joy
Dec 29, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it
I read this after Blood Brothers which was suggested to me. This is a great story and it's hard to describe without giving some of the story away. I thought this would make a great TV movie or mini-series.
Ade Oluyemisi
Aug 28, 2010 Ade Oluyemisi rated it it was amazing
Found this interesting to look at what really affects/effects nature and nurture has on us. To me it was an example of what happens with programming. Perhaps it is just my mistrust that say this is very possibly happening. Love the way he tells a story and weaves the conflicts.
Kevin
Oct 17, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating, slow burn thriller. At 450 pages maybe a little too slow (it took me a while to finish), but the story of engineering low income youth tapped into a lot of intriguing and timely themes.
Mitchell
I was wandering the sf section just browsing when I turned this one up. I've picked up Barnes only books before and not found one I wanted to read but this when had something to it. And yet I put off reading it for three months.

First of all it's on that line between thriller and horror, but with a vaguely The Boys from Brazil vibe. And the author has this uncanny way of selling you a character and then killing them. And the ideas, which were there and good, just weren't served up quite the way I
Benno
Jun 18, 2007 Benno rated it liked it
This was really a standard pulp-fiction sci-fi/thriller. One that I basically ended up reading in two nights, and now I'm left without a book to read.

I found the best part of this book was trying to work out wtf was going on, and was really glad that I only read the back-cover summary afterward I finished the book (a habit of mine), because it would have spoiled the whole atmosphere of the book.

At the end of the day, this is pretty much thriller and the sci-fi side is pretty weak.

Hmm, it sure is
Sue Davis
Jan 17, 2010 Sue Davis rated it it was ok
Experiment with goal of giving inner city kids a better chance by giving them conditioning to make them like a civil rights leader who was also a serial killer. Then attempt to kill all the kids. Bad writing.
Zeo
A study of the ways of warriors, and how they can be utilized. I remember enjoying this a lot despite some places where the plot struggled some.
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Steve M.g
Steve M.g rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Mnbitcrazy
Mnbitcrazy rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Al
Al rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Michael Seals
Michael Seals rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
Purposeful P
Purposeful P rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2008
Daniel Gamaldi
Daniel Gamaldi rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Gary Hines
Gary Hines rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
B
B rated it liked it
May 03, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Dolores
Dolores rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Jonathan Jeffrey
Jonathan Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2008
Joseph DiFazio
Joseph DiFazio rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Zavi
Zavi rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Dana White
Dana White rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Ok2beme
Ok2beme rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
20058
Steven Barnes (born March 1, 1952, Los Angeles, California) is an African American science fiction writer, lecturer, creative consultant, and human performance technician. He has written several episodes of The Outer Limits and Baywatch, as well as the Stargate SG-1 episode "Brief Candle" and the Andromeda episode "The Sum of its Parts". Barnes' first published piece of fiction, the novelette The ...more
More about Steven Barnes...