Start by marking “Zulu Heart (Lion's Blood, #2)” as Want to Read:
Zulu Heart (Lion's Blood, #2)

Zulu Heart (Lion's Blood #2)

This book is the sequel to Lion's Blood

Zulu Heart returns to the 19th Century of Steven Barnes's justly acclaimed novel Lion's Blood, a brilliant alternate history in which black Africans have colonized the New World with white Europeans as their slaves.

As Zulu Heart opens, New World nobleman Kai ibn Jallaleddin is a senator of New Djibouti, an envied plantation owner, an

Published March 19th 2003 by Aspect (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Zulu Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zulu Heart

Andrew
We return to an alternative history of North America and the lives of Kai ibn Rashid and Aidan O'Dere. It is four years on from the events of Lion's Blood and the dominant world powers, Abyssinia and Egypt are on the brink of war. Their colonies in the New World are about to be drawn into the conflict.
Kai, a member of the privileged ruling class and this friend, Aidan, the freed ex-slave, must work together to establish a future for themselves and their people.

Zulu Heart is a well written nove
Elisa Berry
Jul 05, 2009 Elisa Berry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: alt. fiction, american lit. fans
Recommended to Elisa by: Octavia E. Butler
Same great character development, a rich and though provoking world, a story to sink into. The plot line did seem a little strained, not altogether convincing, rather it seemed a necessary play-out to allow the character's to achieve their destinies. And the end seemed a bit rushed which is a shame after so much development throughout the two books to just try to wrap everything up in the last couple of very short chapters. Not all was tied in the bow though, with room for another novel. I do ...more
Stephen Matlock
Mar 09, 2016 Stephen Matlock rated it it was amazing
This is just a fine book. It is the sequel, of course, to Lion's Blood, but I have to hand it to Mr. Barnes in that the story and the characters have advanced.

We still have Kai and Aiden, brothers beneath the skin in a nation on the North American continent where things are delightfully awry compared to today--somehow in the distant past it was the African nations, and not the Europeans, who conquered the world with learning and art and culture and military prowess.

Kai is now functioning as the
Yvonne Eliot
Oct 13, 2011 Yvonne Eliot rated it it was amazing
I found the first book in this series, Lion's Blood, to be well-written but too heartbreaking to want to re-read. Zulu Heart, on the other hand, I loved unconditionally.

I loved the solidity of Kai and Aidan's friendship, the way that over the course of the two books they grew both individually and together. I loved the nuance of understanding throughout, such as Kai's acknowledgment of the economic practicalities of slavery. I like the balance of exposition and mystery. I like how martial prowes
Eileen Conner
Nov 19, 2009 Eileen Conner rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Eileen by: eileenconner@sbcglobal.net
The second book in the In'shalla series. We follow the freed slave Aiden as he tries to build a settlement of freed slaves, and his former Mastr Kai who is now lord of his lands, and being pulled by different powers as Ethopia and Egypt extend their wars into the colonies. Another look at what the world in the 1800's would look like if the Romans had not been able to build their empire and lands in Africa were the colonizers of the world instead of the Europeans.
Tananarive Due
May 25, 2010 Tananarive Due rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to LION'S BLOOD, and also an amazing book!
Pilouetta
May 12, 2012 Pilouetta rated it really liked it
while i liked this book with the same fascination as "lion's blood," in that barns continues his exploration of african colonial superiority in the new american colonies, the characters have aged and their interests include romance. this, i don't find as interesting. although this does allow for some female characters, now teenagers and older, to take more significant roles as heroines in this sequel that is less male centered.
Ade Oluyemisi
Jun 06, 2013 Ade Oluyemisi rated it it was amazing
Have to read previous book, there are things I needed to understnd however it did't disrupt the flow of the story for me. I love Steven Barnes writing and in process of collecting as many of his books as I can get my hands on. His writings touch all of the "isms" in life in various ways yet not over done.
liirogue
Aug 29, 2008 liirogue rated it liked it
3 1/12 stars.

On it's own, this is a really, really good book. However, it follows Lion's Blood, which is a truly exceptional book, and it simply does not stand up to that level. I expected more, and while I was not disappointed per se, I feel that this novel lacks the emotional punch, the heart, that made Lion's Blood such a great book.
Stan
Aug 23, 2011 Stan rated it it was amazing
A good follow up to Lion's Blood. The characters grow and develop in interesting ways. Steven Barnes shows one of his strengths well in this book, namely, his ability to write great hand to hand combat scenes.
Bryan457
A story set in an alternate America where Africa colonized the new world.

Aidan has a chance to find his Sister and Kai is involved in the court intrigues of Egypt and Abyssinia

Better than the first one.
Mish Mosh
Jul 30, 2009 Mish Mosh rated it liked it
Well written but not as in love as I was with some of his other books such as blood brothers and street lethal series WHooh
Karen
Sep 06, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
As alternative history this book was amazing. I do hope Barnes will eventually continue the series.
Amyr
Dec 29, 2012 Amyr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Zulu heart was amazing, reverse rolls in slavery, and a warioirs journey. great read. it took me a few days to get into it, but once i got into it i couldnt stop. Amazing!
Selena
Selena rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
Jeff Miller
Jeff Miller rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Nusaybah
Nusaybah rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2008
Wilhelmina Jenkins
Wilhelmina Jenkins rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2010
Paul Kooistra
Paul Kooistra rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2007
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2010
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Gary Hines
Gary Hines rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Randye Jones
Randye Jones rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Bookman
Bookman rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Londra' Graham
Londra' Graham rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Kerry
Kerry rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Lashonda
Lashonda rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • The Shadow of Ararat (Oath of Empire #1)
  • The Anubis Murders
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • The Blue Hawk
  • The World's Desire
  • The Children's War: A Novel
  • Blood Colony (African Immortals, #3)
  • Lords of Destruction (Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer, #2)
  • For the Love of Philae
  • Guardian of the Promise (Merlin's Descendants, #4)
  • The Quest for Cush (Imaro #2)
  • Ilario: The Lion's Eye
  • Sword And Sorceress XVIII
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
  • Winged Pharaoh
  • The Season of the Hyaena (Egyptian Mysteries, #2)
  • Back in the USSA
20058
Steven Barnes (born March 1, 1952, Los Angeles, California) is an African American science fiction writer, lecturer, creative consultant, and human performance technician. He has written several episodes of The Outer Limits and Baywatch, as well as the Stargate SG-1 episode "Brief Candle" and the Andromeda episode "The Sum of its Parts". Barnes' first published piece of fiction, the novelette The ...more
More about Steven Barnes...

Lion's Blood (2 books)
  • Lion's Blood (Lion's Blood, #1)