Start by marking “Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)
Preview

Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Thirty thousand years ago, in the heart of the African continent and in the shadow of the largest freestanding mountain in the world, lived the Ibandi. For countless generations they nurtured their ancient tradition, and met survival’s daily struggle with quiet faith in their gods. But when brutal intruders arrived from the south, a few brave souls dared the ultimate quest ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Great Sky Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Sky Woman

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelThe Valley of Horses by Jean M. AuelThe Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. AuelThe Plains of Passage by Jean M. AuelThe Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel
Best Pre-History Fiction
89th out of 148 books — 233 voters
The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelThe Valley of Horses by Jean M. AuelReindeer Moon by Elizabeth Marshall ThomasThe Neanderthals Rediscovered by Dimitra PapagianniThe Aquatic Ape Hypothesis by Elaine Morgan
Neanderthals and Other Nonhuman Hominids
15th out of 46 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Carly
**edited 12/08/13

Great Sky Woman not only manages to completely avoid condescension and anachronism, but goes on to immerse its reader deep into the detailed world and complex culture that it creates.

...And that's all I'm going to post here. The rest of my (rather verbose) review is posted over here at Booklikes.

Why? Because I disapprove of GoodReads' new policy of censorship, I will no longer post full reviews here.
Jessica Snyder
(My amazon.com review)

"If you like Auel, you'll love Barnes"
I found this book mentioned in a review of one of the books from Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series. I can't remember which book, or which reviewer, but I wish I could, to send a hearty "Thank You!" If you like the prehistoric genre that Auel basically started, but you'd like to read something less mind-numbingly repetitive, with more attention paid to plot and character than to textbook descriptions of flora, fauna, and geological
Nea
This book was amazing. Wonderfully unpredictable and engrossing, It had a little bit of everything: love, tribal conflict, coming of age, ancient spirituality, betrayal, ambition, joy, strife. I found myself not wanting to put it down at bedtime, and that's always a good sign.

The author did a wonderful job of taking me deep into the fantasy of a lifetime so long ago. I found myself completely vested in the experience, egging on certain characters while screaming (inside) at others. There was so
Tananarive Due
Set 30,000 years ago, this is a magical coming-of-age journey set at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Pilouetta
May 12, 2012 Pilouetta rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Pilouetta by: elisa
i enjoyed barnes' exploration of a culture more primitive, though it is clear that he is using the practices of actual and extinct tribal peoples. he sets this type of culture in a narrative of superstition, mystical power, and fantasy. barnes is an acute historian, wonderful storyteller, but most importantly, he writes interesting characters, so that even though fantasy writing isn't my main read, i can help but read it voraciously when the author is staven barnes.
Erin M.
This I found very entertaining. I chewed through this book over two days, and just couldn't put it down!

The author had an excellent understanding of his setting and characters, and must have done an admirable amount of research to create a story this convincing. I particularly enjoyed his portrayal of the spiritual aspects of the people and the meanderings of their daily lives.
Beth
Dec 19, 2007 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult Fiction Readers
I've gone through this book like a hot knife through butter. It's an excellent, fast read with well drawn characters. I'm really enjoying it! The fact that the author is an African American scifi writer is also a plus--there are very few of them. This is one of the best and most entertaining books I have read in a very long time.
Karen Cowgill
Very good book, a little sad in spots.
MeiLin Miranda
Completely believable and written in a crisp, immediate style that places the reader in the shadow of Mount Kilimanjaro and the footsteps of all our ancestors, I cannot recommend this highly enough. Terrific. Simply terrific.
Jerome
What I liked most were the details of the physical environment, the appropriateness of the names and how each one had a place in the story, the use of the herbs and plants, and the growth and development of the main characters.
Nusaybah
Oct 05, 2008 Nusaybah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nusaybah by: I have read this author's work before.
Reasonably paced, excellent brain candy in the realm of alternative, historical fiction. I put the other two books I am reading on hold until I finish this much lighter read.
Alex Akira
I love Steven's books, for the most part,but for some reason I could not get into this one.
Sorry Steven.
Kitty
Variation on Clan of the Cave bear. I wasn't riveted, but I don't need that when I'm doing repetitive work.
Ken Graham
I feel like Steven Barnes was at the height of his storytelling powers with this one.
Tia
Dec 18, 2007 Tia marked it as to-read
A friend just added this to her list and the description totally got me!
Cathy
It was a little slow for my taste, but not bad. Relaxing read.
Shirley Port
Found the book very interesting. An easy read
Kristin
Read from 5/17 to 5/20.
☯Bettie☯
shannan davis
shannan davis marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Marti
Marti marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Carol Baker
Carol Baker marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Eero Piilokivi
Eero Piilokivi marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • Ancestor Stones
  • The Gathering Night
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1)
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • Segu
  • The Stone Arrow (The Pagans Trilogy, #1)
  • Bring Down the Sun (Alexander the Great, #2)
  • The Masque of Africa: Glimpses of African Belief
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • The Witch Doctor's Wife (Amanda Brown #1)
  • The Children of First Man
  • Dance of the Tiger: A Novel of the Ice Age
  • The Day the World Ended at Little Bighorn: A Lakota History
  • My First Coup d'Etat: And Other True Stories from the Lost Decades of Africa
  • Servant of the Underworld (Obsidian and Blood, #1)
20058
Steven Barnes (born March 1, 1952, Los Angeles, California) is an African American science fiction writer, lecturer, creative consultant, and human performance technician.

He has written several episodes of The Outer Limits and Baywatch. He has also written the episode "Brief Candle" for Stargate SG-1 and the Andromeda episode "The Sum of its Parts". Barnes's first published piece of fiction, the 1
More about Steven Barnes...

Great Sky Woman (2 books)
  • Shadow Valley
The Cestus Deception (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #3) The Invisible Imam (Assassin's Creed, #1) Lion's Blood (Lion's Blood, #1) The Hive (Star Wars: Clone Wars, Short Story) Devil's Wake