Start by marking “Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #1)” as Want to Read:
Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #1)

Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  9,448 Ratings  ·  313 Reviews
What if you can enter a madman's cruel mind as he plans his vicious crimes?

What if you can see the terrified face of his prey as he moves in for the kill -- but you can't stop his frenzy once he strikes?

Psychic Cassie Neill helps the L.A. police catch killers -- until she makes a terrible mistake and an innocent child dies. Cassie flees to a small North Carolina town, hop
Published August 29th 2000 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Shadows

Vicki
Jun 06, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Stealing Shadows is the first in the Bishop Special Crimes Unit Series. This is where you first meet Bishop. Actually you don't really get to see much about him at all until the last third of the book.

Cassie Neill is a psychic. She is helping out the police as they seek out a serial killer. She helps them by getting into his mind and seeing through his eyes. She has the gift that has passed down in her family as long as she can remember.
Things go South in California, so she relocates to North
Jane Stewart
No one is smart enough to solve the mystery until some lucky psychic visions at the end. The relationship didn’t draw me in.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
This is primarily a mystery. There is a developing relationship, but it’s not romantic. She has her visions and is tired most of the time. He is emotionally distant. All of a sudden they have sex. There was no personality, chemistry, interesting interaction or romance. I wasn’t emotionally drawn in.

The mystery was not that good. Cassie has psychic connect
Lady Heather
This was the first book I've read by Kay Hooper, and it certainly won't be the last.

I really enjoyed this story!

The writing, characters, and story were great, and I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book (and I didn't figure out "Who done it" until the end... YAY!).

The author had me engaged the whole time. I was eager to find out "What would happen next", and eager to see if our 'leads' would solve the mystery in time.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

Afsana
May 11, 2009 Afsana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those into the paranormal
This is a the first book that I have read by Kay Hooper

This is the first book that really got me into the the paranormal books and I find that Kay hooper is not that obviously formalaic

the book is about Cassie a psychic who has helped the police with her ability till an error led to the death of a child and she left town.

However she can't get away from her ability and soon finds herself involved in a murder case after finding herself in the mind of a murderer

I thought it was nicely written and t
Kjen
Jun 23, 2015 Kjen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars****1/2~~~I really enjoyed this:) So...you've got the "darkest evil serial killer angle", the "fragile, but strong, psycic", and the "very hot, but tormented, young-for-his-position, town Judge. Really, what's not to love?!? Well done on all fronts. I realize this is a "Bishop" book, but I didn't really care about him...other than the fact that he made the hero jealous;)
Robin
Apr 20, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like: Mysteries, Romantic Suspense, Psychics, FBI
Warning Note: I never read the last page of a mystery.

What would be the point? This being mentioned, my review might not be to your tastes. I BELIEVE you can guess the basic concept of the book from what is found above or on the back of the book. Maybe you’ll even look at the other reviews on here & it will tell you what happens in the book. Personally, I think if you know what is going to happen in a book why bother reading it? It’s much like movie trailers sometimes. When I actually go to
Sheila Melo
Aug 25, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Paranormal Suspense Fiction

STEALING SHADOWS is the first of Hooper's Bishop series. The series tells the story of people with paranormal talents. The early books in the series are focused not only on the suspense but also on romance between the characters. The early books are my favorites including this one.

THE STORY: Cassie Neill is a psychic who sees the minds of killers. She has helped police with murders until a mistake she made resulted in the death of a little girl and Cassie fled L.
Jonetta
Jun 03, 2011 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassie Neal thought she had finally found peace when she left Los Angeles and settled in Ryan's Bluff, North Carolina. A psychic who had worked with detectives to locate serial killers and that ilk, she was looking to put her gifts to rest and live out her life in solitude. Unfortunately, even small towns can bear the same sins as the big city when women are turning up murdered in Cassie's new home. She reaches out to the skeptical Sheriff to offer her help and then seeks the help of the town's ...more
Kristen
Jul 29, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Kay Hoopers books. She smoothly combines a murder mystery with at least one paranormal character (usually more) and a romance or two.

In this outing, psychic Cassie has burned out from her work helping the police hunting serial killers. Cassie can slip into the minds of the killers and see through their eyes to help the police find them and save the victim. Unfortunately, Cassie's last case ended in tradgedy and she moved to a small town to try to live a normal life.

Unfortunately,
Brent Soderstrum
Sep 29, 2012 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it
Cassie Neill has the psychic ability to get into other people's head and know what they are doing, thinking and seeing. She uses this ability to help the LA police catch madmen seriel killers. Things go horribly wrong in one case and the victim dies. Feeling guilty Cassie flees for Ryan's Bluff, North Carolina to live in a house her aunt left her in her will.

Yet in North Carolina she is seeing bad things happening to the local females. She goes to the County Prosecutor, Ben and wants to help. H
Kristen
Dec 22, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it
This is a great thriller with some romantic suspense elements. We're introduced in Cassie Neill, who has a special psychic gift. When she arrives in Ryan's Bluff, North Carolina, she stormed her way into Judge Ben Ryan and tells him why she's there. At first, Sheriff Matt Dunbar has his doubts and dithers about her. But with her psychic connections, she leads them to a trail of a serial killer. But with her late aunt's warning, she dares not to fall in love with Ben Ryan. We get to know more abo ...more
Shanna Halalilo
Oct 25, 2010 Shanna Halalilo rated it it was amazing
The book is about a girl that is psychic, and she can read minds. She uses her ability to help the police locate where killers are, and who they might kill next. It's a good book because it is really scary, and it keeps you wanting to read more, and more. It doesn't ever really drag on, or get boring like a lot of books do. It shows the different perspectives of the killers, and the victims, which I thought was pretty interesting. When the murders were described it was really detailed, and it ma ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Jun 07, 2014 Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I really enjoyed it. It is about a psychic who tries to help the police solve crimes by connecting to the minds of the killers. It was really well written and I enjoyed the quick pace and reading about the main character Cassie, the psychic.

I'd certainly read another of her books, my only problem now is deciding whether to add her remaining books to my TBR (to be read) pile.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys tv shows such as Med
Gail
Aug 31, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing
Many years ago, my goodreads buddy, Gretchen Gogan told me this series was really good. I finally got around to reading the first one. It is riveting!

Thriller, romance, mystery and suspense layered in with complex and likable characters. Good character development and an enthralling story. Even some of the typical thriller devices are not predictable.
Skip
Apr 17, 2010 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Cassie moves to a house left to her by an Aunt in a quiet town in North Carolina, but her telepathic abilities alert her to a serial killer, who begins to prey on local women. She falls in love, but has to worry about a beyond the grave warning from her Aunt about him. Good (scary) ending.
Denise
Jun 19, 2015 Denise rated it liked it
A little tedious and dated, but not bad for an evening entertainment. I am going to try a few more and hope they get less tedious and dated :)
Susan (the other Susan)
Okay, I get that Psychics Need Love Too. What else you got? I just couldn't get into this heavy-on-the-paranormal series. I tried a few, and none stood out as particularly different from the others.
Shireen Hakani
Too much psychology for my taste, too dry, but good serial killer angle. 4 stars for the plot.
Louise Behiel
May 20, 2012 Louise Behiel rated it it was amazing
Love this series of psychic FBI agents. Ms Hooper regularly scares me half to death
Sarah Anne
I'm very gentle on my books so I was staring at the spine of this book and trying to figure out if I could read the number of creases on the spine like tree rings. I really love this series.

Cassie Neill is a psychic and there's a serial killer in town. Was that appropriately dramatic? When she approaches the sheriff he dismisses her immediately. Still knowing that a murderer was going to strike she approaches the local D.A., Ben Ryan. Who is gorgeous and sexy ;)

When the murderer strikes and she
Dec 18, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Somehow I started reading later on in the series with Touching Evil, so I wanted to read this book before finishing the Evil portion of the series. Though I have enjoyed the Evil portion thus far, I definitely enjoyed Stealing Shadows more. I wish we were able to give half star ratings.
Cynthia Edge
Dec 07, 2016 Cynthia Edge rated it really liked it
This was a major page turner that grabbed me instantly. I had a hard time putting it down. This was the first Kay Hooper book I've read and I'll definitely be picking up more.
Julie
Nov 25, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
WAY better than the other Kay Hooper I read.
Marie Frabutt
Jan 04, 2017 Marie Frabutt rated it it was amazing
This book is not for the faint of heart. It will having thinking outside your comfort zone.
Kem
Oct 16, 2016 Kem rated it it was amazing
Well written, great plot, and interesting characters. All of this plus a very scary bad guy that's hard to catch even with a psychic on the trail. I don't normally get into paranormal books, but this is a very good mystery first, and just happens to have a very likable psychic on the side of the good guys. I will read more of this series because it's different.
Like this trilogy and enjoy rereading it every so often.
Candace
Oct 01, 2016 Candace rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book up until the ending. It was like a cliché Mills and Boons. Overall the storyline is one I have read many times before. If you read a lot of thrillers it won't be that interesting. I think i enjoyed the first part so much because I have been reading a lot of fantasy.
Gio kikabidze
Oct 05, 2016 Gio kikabidze rated it did not like it
ზერიოზულად? ბევრად მეტს ველოდი ვიდრე ერთი ზეშესაძლებლობების მქონე ქალი და ორი პირდაღბული სულელი დეტექტივის ამბავს.
Shelley
Feb 12, 2011 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-romance
Synopsis: Psychic Cassie Neill helps the L.A. police catch killers-until she makes a terrible mistake and an innocent child dies. Cassie flees to a small North Carolina town, hoping that a quiet life will silence the voices that invade her unwilling mind. But Cassie's abilities know few boundaries. And she's become certain-as no one else can be-that a murderer is stalking Ryan's Bluff.

Ana T.

Psychic Cassie Neill helps the L.A. police catch killers — until she makes a terrible mistake and an innocent child dies. Cassie flees to a small North Carolina town hoping that a quiet life will silence the voices that invade her unwilling mind. But Cassie's abilities know few boundaries. And she's become certain — as no one else can be — that a murderer is stalking Ryan's Bluff.
It's his fury that Cassie senses first, then his foul thoughts and perverse excitement. Yet she doesn't know who he i
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1)
  • The Fifth Victim (Griffin Powell, #2)
  • Speak No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • Firestorm
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1; John Mancini #3)
  • Hot Blooded (New Orleans #1)
  • Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...

Bishop/Special Crimes Unit (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2)
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #4)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
  • Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #8)
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #10)
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)

“There are things in the human mind that are not meant to be seen or touched, things seldom even acknowledged by our conscious selves. Fantasies, impulses, rages, hatreds, primitive instincts. They're buried deep, usually, and that's where they belong.” 5 likes
“So to catch a madman, we have to think like a madman?” “I wouldn’t advise it,” Cassie said very quietly. “That abyss is darker and colder than you can even imagine.” 0 likes