Start by marking “Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads” as Want to Read:
Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads

Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The ultimate guide of super-simple no-knead bread recipes.

For years, home cooks have shied away from baking their own yeast bread because they were intimidated by the mess, expertise, and kneading required. Now in paperback, Nancy Baggett's revolutionary "Kneadlessly Simple" lets even complete novices bake bread quickly and easily in their own homes, with no kneading and n
Published February 3rd 2009 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Kneadlessly Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kneadlessly Simple

Joanna Vaught
i've made 4 different breads out of this book -- some of them multiple times -- and each one has been practically effortless and produced beautiful results. i put off baking my own bread for so long because it seemed so time- and labor-intensive and if any variable was off, the whole thing was a wash. nancy baggett's method delivers on the titular promise! highly recommend.
Elaine Nelson
I only got to make one recipe out of this book: the very first one. But it was amazing. I've made basic white bread twice now. The first time, I didn't let it rise quite long enough, so it was kinda dense, but still really tasty. The second time I was more patient (and maybe added more yeast? or it was warmer?) and it turned out just about perfect. I really want to get a copy and try more recipes. (Also need dutch oven.)

[Edit: got a copy for Christmas (2009 or 2010?) from my sister. Have made se
Mary Anne
This is the ONLY way I bake bread now! (Other than an occasional quick bread.) My husband and I can't get over how good all of the breads we've tried taste. I got rid of my bread machine, and with a little planning and very little work, you've got absolutely delicious bread.
Robert Beveridge
Nancy Baggett, Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads (Wiley, 2009)

My second “simple bread!” book of the year (after Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, q.v.), and it has many of the same weaknesses as its predecessor (mainly that by combining the repeated instructions in each recipe into one area and referring people back to it each time, this book would have been a quarter of its length at most), but also shares a strength: this really is a simple, if rather time-consuming,
Tracey
Dec 18, 2013 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
baking. Apparently this was orig. underwritten by Fleischmann's yeast; pp197-201 discusses how to adapt traditional yeast/kneading recipes to this non-kneading method--basically it involves adjusting the order in which ingredients are added, a wetter dough, more proofing time, and a longer baking time. I generally do not have great luck with yeast, Fleischmann's or no, so when I tried the gluten-free light sandwich bread it was no surprise that the dough rose even less than you would expect of a ...more
Juanita
I tried the light wheat bread and the raisin cinnamon pinwheel bread. Both were delicious...but Nancy needs some different criteria besides "easy" and "fairly easy". It would be helpful to indicate the length of the recipe at the start as well.
My definition of "easy" is a recipe that takes leas than 20 minutes to prepare and then I put in the oven for X amount of minutes and voilà it's done!
Her definition of "easy" involves mixing, then refrigerating for 16 hours, and then adding more ingredient
Ruds
Jan 21, 2011 Ruds added it
My two attempts at baking pandesal were failures despite following the recipe to the letter. Perhaps understanding the chemistry of the ingredients first might be helpful before I embark on ambitious projects. From the first chapters, I've learned about sugar/ flour ratio which was completely way, way off on my last try. Dough turned out so sticky that I knew, on that stage, my pan de sal was doomed.

I am new at baking and finds it enjoyable and relaxing and I hope this book would help me along t
Jessica
I just read another review of this book, and had to laugh because it's exactly how I felt: How is keeping dough in your refrigerator for days two to three days easier than kneading bread? Especially when you have a bread mixer? And I don't have a dutch oven that is rated oven safe up to 500 degrees, which is called for in many of the recipes. I also thought the instructions were needlessly complicated -- each recipe is two to three pages long. Going to try Lahey's "My Bread" and "Artisan Bread i ...more
Lara
One of several "no knead" books I've read. Not my favorite, by far. I'm not a fan of sourdough bread-I'm sure some of you are gasping ;-)-so leaving the dough in the fridge for several days is not going to give me what I want. I also didn't like that there were not photos for each recipe, and that what photos there are got put together in the center of the book. I was able to get a few tips, though, and some of the non-bread recipes look interesting, so that's why I rated it 3 stars.
Liz
The breads in this book are tasty and satisfying, sure, but they require WAY too much forethought and planning, and have WAY too many steps separated by awkward intervals of time to merit the "simple" descriptor. No spur-of-the-moment bread-making here. I'd much rather make bread the old-fashioned way (kneading) than go this route. For genuinely simple, kneading-free bread, the Five Minutes a Day series is much preferable.
Shawnie
Another great book of no-knead loaves. Great variety of multi-grain and old style bread recipes. I would like more photos.
I just can't get my head around the idea that making bread over two to three days is easier than a bit of kneading. The recipes I tried were good, and many others sound tempting, but the pictures are not.
Teresa
Love this book and made bread jars to give away last year at Christmas out of this book. Tom made his and said it turned out great. My bread also turned out well! Yay made my first loaf of bread!
Michelle
OK, but unsure why it saves time to have to leave bowls of bread dough around in fridge and on counter for 24+ hours a day--I'd rather just knead or use a batter bread if I have no time.
Mckinley
Alternate style for making bread. I'm sure these are good. Just take time - days actually. So it's less likely I use these rather than kneading and using the bread machine
Mckochan
I've made a least two dozen loaves, using various flours, in or out of the fridge, my own variations, etc, and as long as my oven temp cooperates, they turn out well.
Misty
This book is great for beginners and for someone who hasn't baked in awhile. I found recipes I want to try. If you like to bake, check this book out.
Marcella
Feb 16, 2009 Marcella rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bakers
Another method of making bread from Scratch however I find it a bit time consuming to follow the steps I much prefer Artisan Bread in 5 Mintues a day
Adrienne
Haven't actually tried any of the recipes yet, but they look delicious and while I read the book I could taste them in my head.
Felicia A
Kneadless, yes, but not as simple or fuss-free as billed. That's not to say it isn't good, just not what I was looking for.
Rachel
I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but this seems like it will be good way for us to have more fresh bread around the house.
Les
Good recipes, but I still prefer the original NY Times recipe for ease, taste and texture.
Deborah
Good, but maybe fussier rgan it needs to be. I'll add to this when I try more of the recipes.
Janet
Best book I've found for artisan-type breads. Every recipe was a hit.
Brad T.
Im making Italian bread and a chocolate-honey bread right now.
Beth
Made 2 kinds for a party and they were both very good :)
Elizabeth
Great idea and seemed quite doable.
Betty
So far the breads taste good but look very funny and have a cake-like texture compared to regular bread.
Brainx
Brainx added it
Dec 25, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • The Dumpling: A Seasonal Guide
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An indespensible guide for anybody who likes to cook
  • Canning & Preserving for Dummies
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • Rachael Ray's Look + Cook
  • A Book of Mediterranean Food
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Cooking for Friends
The All-American Cookie Book Simply Sensational Cookies The All-American Dessert Book The 2 Day a Week Diet Cookbook The International Cookie Cookbook