Start by marking “Bear Feels Sick” as Want to Read:
Bear Feels Sick

Bear Feels Sick (Bear)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  2,837 ratings  ·  148 reviews

How Bear's good friends take care of him with herbal tea and lullabies until he begins to FEEL BETTER is the heart of this loving story that will be familiar to any little one who has ever ha

Published September 11th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Feels Sick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Feels Sick

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussFour is a little, Four is a LOT by Cheska KomissarWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffAre You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
Books for four-year-old children
48th out of 334 books — 229 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
294th out of 1,564 books — 1,074 voters

More lists with this book...

Candice
Sep 03, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman make a wonderful author/illustrator team. I just love the Bear books! This one is another sweet rhyming story about Bear and his friends. On a beautiful autumn day, Bear does not want to play with his friends because he feels sick. The friends come to help. Mouse offers moral support, Badger fetches water, Gopher cooks broth, Mole places cool compresses on Bear's forehead. Finally Bear drifts off to sleep, and when he wakes up he feels better...but now his friends h ...more
Michelle McBeth
Bear Feels sick! His friends want him to come out and play, but he feels too unwell to go. So all of his friends pitch in to help him feel better. They start a fire to warm him and feed him healing broth. They sing until he falls asleep. They watch over him until he feels better.

The illustrations are done in acrylic paint. They are absolutely adorable and colorful. The facial expressions are well done. The pictures give you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I adored this book! The rhyming was simple and
Miranda
I don't usually write reviews for children's books but I have a few I would like to post.

This is such a sweet story about what true friendship is about.

The title says it all. Bear does feel sick for most of the book. His friends come over and comfort him as best they can. I love how much thought is put into the words on the pages. The artwork is simply stunning.

photo bear_zpsb828ce1e.jpg

My two boys love reading about Bear and he's definitely one of our bedtime story favorites. You cannot go wrong with a Karma Wilson boo
Karen
Such a cute way to show kids how to take care of someone who is sick. Daddy read this to us...great voices from daddy.
Natalie Brockmeier
This sweet book made me smile. I really enjoyed it, and it brought that warm fuzzy feeling.
In this story, Bear gets something like the flu or a common cold and his friends are really concerned for him. I can totally see myself reading this story aloud to a group of kindergarteners or first graders. Especially during cold season, when everyone is sniffling like crazy. I would talk about how it's important to be there for your friends when they're not feeling their best. Even if that doesn't mean
Cathy
Sep 26, 2014 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8 years and under.
Autumn has come to the woods, and Bear doesn't feel well. He sniffles and sneezes. He cannot sleep. He aches all over. Worst of all, he's feeling too poorly to play with his friends. How Bear's good friends take care of him with herbal tea and lullabies until he begins to FEEL BETTER is the heart of this loving story.

Who can resist a Karma Wilson "Bear" Book? I love them! My kiddos love them! I love the cadence of the stanzas and the easy rhymes that children can anticipate and read along with.
Dava Fletter
I love all of this series. The first, Bear Snores On was written beyond the 10 year requirement. When going to Karma Wilson's Bear website there is a list of the numerous awards she was given for the first book. I have added 3 in the publication guidelines. I love them all. I teach the kids about the real animals alongside using these read alouds. I have a lot of ESL students and this helps build their animal vocabulary. The animals are in all of the stories in the series so it reinforces the na ...more
Alecia
Author: Karma Wilson

Illustrator: Jane Chapman

Genre: fictional picture book

Publication Info: Margaret K. McElderry Books (2007)

Reading Level: Ages 4-8; early

Topic/Theme: friendship, illness,

Issues Addressed: taking care of someone when the become ill, strong friendships

Classroom Uses: independent reading, shared reading

Summary: Bear has become quite ill, in fact he is too sick to even play with his friends. His friends decide to become his care givers, and try to make him feel better while taki
Rosita
This is an awesome book to read to preschooler and older children. The bear livings a cave he was not feeling well. Several of the forest animal came to visit the bear. The animal were determine to take care of the bear. The rabbit set a fire to keep the cave warm and to do some herb tea for the bear. The mouse encouraged the bear that he will be fine. All the forest animals have covered the bear with a comforter because the bear was so sick. Several forest animals went to out to find herbs for ...more
Kenia Soto
This book is amazing. It is about a bear who falls ill and his friends do everything to nurse him back to good health. When he gets better and wants to play their is a change of plans because his friends are now sick. This book focuses on consideration, caring and friendship. I would use this book to give the children a better understanding of what it means to be considerate. I have read a few books from this author and now I would like to collect the books on the bear.
Ricky Ordway
Bear feels sick was a very cute story. It is about a bear that gets sick and all of his animal friends take care of him until he feels better. All of bear's friends end up getting sick and bear returns the favor. Very nice story about friendship. It could also be used for young children when a bug is going around and then emphasizing the importance of washing hands. The pictures are great and any primary school grade would enjoy the story.
Mary Prado
Bear Feels Sick
Written by Karma Wilson
Illustrated by Jane Chapman

This is a beautiful story of friendship and love. Bear gets sick and his friends take special care of him. They nurse Bear back to good health with a little tender loving care. Once Bear gets better, the tables are turned and his friends get the sniffles. Bear promises to take good care of them too.
Keyann Griffin
This book is a good seasonal book that can be brought out during the fall months for preschoolers. Everyone gets sick around this time of year so it is relate-able for the classroom. Also, his friends want to cheer him up and make him feel better. This book can be used to show young children how to be considerate of others when they aren't feeling well.
HeavyReader
This book was returned to our library, even though it belonged to another library. In fact, a huge pile of kids' books that belonged to that library was returned to Lawrence Public. I was stacking up the pile when I showed my co-workers the front cover picture of the very sick bear. They said I should read it to them, so I did. I gave a very good, animated reading, if I do say so myself. My co-workers even cheered a little when I was done.

Anyway, this is the story of sick bear whose little mamma
Karen
I do love the Wilson/Chapman Bear books. They are SO relatable for young children. Especially young children who are just getting over being sick themselves. This Bear book was every bit as perfect as the other Bear books I've read.
Lindsay Michael
I thought this was such a cute story! It shows the reader that you should do one to others as you would have done to you and that's something that young readers should carry with them for the rest of their lives.
Amanda
So cute! Love the pictures and the compassionate characters. Would be great for Teddy Bear Picnic story time. Could imagine kids extending this to dramatic play where they take care of their Teddy Bears.
Katie Turley
Bear is sick at the beginning of the story. His friends want him to come and play but he can't. All of his friends decide to take care of Bear until he feels better. When Bear feels better he wants to celebrate but by this time his friends are sick. He takes care of them.
I love this book! It is sweet. I would use this in a classroom to teach about germs and getting sick from one another.
Sharon
I loved this book. The illustrations just make you want to hug the animals and the verse is simple and rhythmic. Poor bear feels sick, but his friends lovingly care for him. Finally, bear feels better, but now his friends are sick. What is a bear to do? Why take care of his friends, of course! Perfect to read to a sick child, but anyone will enjoy it, including adults!
Brenda Cregor
How kind of bear's friends to show compassion.
They care for him when he is ill, in the good old fashioned way.
There are no trips to the pharmacy in this story.
Denise
This poetic book is a really sweet handbook of TLC (tender loving care) between animal friends. Warm and compassionate, it's sure to steal your heart.
Katy Bennett
Bear isn't feeling well, so all his woodland friends come to the cave to help him recover. Not as good as Bear Snores On, but sweet and cute in its own right.
Ina
In the interest of full disclosure, I love Karma Wilson's Bear books. They are awesome read alouds, filled with fun. The text and pictures work so well together...even when I can't quite find my rhythm, my storytime audience embraces every page of the story. In this book our hero, Bear, is tucked in his cave and comes down with a cold and fever...all of the usual characters appear each bringing something to help make bear feel better. They paint pictures, whisper in Bear's ear and hold cool clot ...more
June
Dec 22, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bear and sick requests
Recommended to June by: Polly
Shelves: bear, picture-book, sick
I think I like this better than some of the other bear books. Was the second book chosen at PJ Story Time and rated another "Yeah."
Maria Burel
I’ve decided that I will like just about anything that Karma Wilson pens. The smooth rhythm that makes for a good read aloud, the repetitive phrases for audience participation, and the human-like feel to her animal characters…it’s all just awesome. This particular book celebrates friendship, and the idea that one kind turn deserves another. Preschooler was resistant to reading this one at first (see above comment about swaying opinion), but once she decided to give it a try, we’ve read it every ...more
Deatrice
I love all of the books written by Karma Wilson and illustrated by Jane Chapman, but this one is by far my favorite!
Lakeside Branch
Nice book about friendship and how you feel when you are sick.
Dorcas
Sweet and a great book to read when the kid isn't feeling so well.
Hatoon Saiedi
It's nice story for kids, and I will read it for them ...more
Juliette
Adorable story about friendship and taking care of others.
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • Llama Llama Home with Mama
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Hugless Douglas
  • Good Luck Bear
  • The Bear Who Shared
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny!
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • Dinosaurs Love Underpants
  • Fidgety Fish
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Old Bear
  • Falling for Rapunzel
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (10 books)
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • Bear Hugs: Romantically Ridiculous Animal Rhymes
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Stays Up for Christmas The Cow Loves Cookies Bear Feels Scared