The Iliad/The Odyssey/The Aeneid

The Iliad/The Odyssey/The Aeneid

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A glorious boxed set featuring Robert Fagles's award-winning translations of the three great epics of Western literature

ONE OF THE PREEMINENT translators of our time, Robert Fagles's interpretations of these epic poems give new life to three seminal works in the Western canon. The Penguin Classic Deluxe Editions of The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid are collected here...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Penguin Classics (first published 600)

J.D. Brink
I was one of those English majors who never really read the books in school they were supposed to. I'm a slow reader and just didn't feel I had the time. So after I graduated, I went back and read the ones I'd always really wanted to read. In that process, I finally got to all three of these: the Iliad, Odyssey, and the Aeneid (mostly while afloat in the Navy with no where else to go).

The Iliad and Odyssey are great and I found that the lyrical style was something I actually enjoyed. While the p...more
Kyle
I'll be honest that when I read the entirety of the epic it was when I was translating it from the Latin in my class many years ago. We did use this translation to check ourselves and based on all the professors I had who go over the Aeneid they have said this is the best translation.

There's nothing more to say other than it's the story of Aeneas and his travels from Troy to Italy and the Trojan's victory. There are 12 books and it is fashioned in a poetry style in dactylic hexameter (and if you...more
Gene Skala
Well you have to read it sometime, right? Maybe this isn't too odd of a reason, but I picked this version of Odyssey because of the beautiful design, printed and deckled paper. I believe the 'feel' of a book adds alot to the experience.

Robert Fagles is amazing. After I read Illiad and then Aeneid, I'm convinced he's one, if not *the* greatest living translator. The story reads near conversational, which means you don't have to bother with many footnotes. But the big draw for me is that it loses...more
Elle
My high school English teachers will be glad to know that I finally read the Aeneid. "Of arms and the man I sing" has got to be one of the best opening sentences of all times. The story itself is gripping, the fall of Troy, the tragic fate of Dido, the politics of the gods, the pomp and circumstance of Trojan piety. Aeneas, like Odysseus before him, visits the underworld, long before Dante, but here we see the rebirth of souls with forgetfulness as the only redemption, and the glory of Rome anti...more
Levi
Because there is no entry for the Fagles translation of the Aeneid alone, I am forced to post a review under this book. It reads much like the Iliad, and was quite enjoyable. Pure heart-wrenching in many of its portrayals of Aeneas, Ascanius, and Turnus, this work was very emotional and well-written. Although the Odyssey is still my favorite single work of antiquity, the Aeneid is a close second, just ahead of the Iliad.
kyle
Sep 19, 2009 kyle added it
Some extraordinary passages. The section on Dido and Aeneas is justly legendary. The description of the sacking of Troy is unforgettable. Even some of the sections I thought would be boring (on the funeral games, some of the battles, etc.) had beautiful passages and striking moments. Not sure if I'll feel a need to revisit it but glad I took the trip once.
* This just refers to the Aeneid.
Julia Farrell
This refers only to The Aeneid
Surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Never read it before. Great story, easy to read. One piece of advice, unless you are a Latin scholar, don't read the forward. The poem speaks for itself. Wonderful!
Pamela
Robert Fagles' translation of the Aeneid is superb. It's the only one I have finished so far and has made rereading this classic a pleasure and some of the best reading I have done in quite a while. Give yourself a treat!
Lena
Fagles' translations of all three works are by far my favorite. I'm sad that he didn't do one for the Metamorphoses.
Dana Ang Lopez
Iliad was a bit tiresome to read through. The Aeneid is basically the Roman version of the Odyssey.
Durene
Durene marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Urpflanze
Urpflanze marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Aashish Bhatia
Aashish Bhatia marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Justin Burford
Justin Burford marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Will Burger
Will Burger marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lalaine
Lalaine marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Elyan
Elyan marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ethel
Ethel marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
  • The Trojan War: A New History
  • Eumenides
  • The Apologetics Study Bible: Understand Why You Believe
  • Protagoras
  • When Languages Die: The Extinction of the World's Languages and the Erosion of Human Knowledge
  • The Tale of Troy: Retold from the Ancient Authors
  • Epigrams
  • The Eclogues: Dual Language Edition
In the Western classical tradition, Homer (Greek: Όμηρος) is considered the author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, and is revered as the greatest of ancient Greek epic poets. These epics lie at the beginning of the Western canon of literature, and have had an enormous influence on the history of literature.
When he lived is unknown. Herodotus estimates that Homer lived 400 years before his own time,...more
More about Homer...
The Odyssey The Iliad The Iliad/The Odyssey The Odyssey, Book 1-12 The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy