Start by marking “The Iliad/The Odyssey/The Aeneid” as Want to Read:
The Iliad/The Odyssey/The Aeneid

The Iliad/The Odyssey/The Aeneid

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  485 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A glorious boxed set featuring Robert Fagles's award-winning translations of the three great epics of Western literature

ONE OF THE PREEMINENT translators of our time, Robert Fagles's interpretations of these epic poems give new life to three seminal works in the Western canon. The Penguin Classic Deluxe Editions of The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid are collected here
Published October 27th 2009 by Penguin Classics (first published 600)

To ask other readers questions about The Iliad/The Odyssey/The Aeneid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Iliad/The Odyssey/The Aeneid

J.D. Brink
I was one of those English majors who never really read the books in school they were supposed to. I'm a slow reader and just didn't feel I had the time. So after I graduated, I went back and read the ones I'd always really wanted to read. In that process, I finally got to all three of these: the Iliad, Odyssey, and the Aeneid (mostly while afloat in the Navy with no where else to go).

The Iliad and Odyssey are great and I found that the lyrical style was something I actually enjoyed. While the p
Logan
The Aeneid Review
Personally I found The Aeneid to be an excellent story. I would definitely recommend this to book to anyone who likes a book with a good story and a good meaning. Also the book is a spinoff of sorts from Homers Iliad. So if you enjoyed that story you will certainly enjoy this one.
The story is based around the idea that before Troy fell to the Greeks a group of Trojans, led by the epic hero in the story Aeneas, escaped the city. They then made their way to the Italian peninsul
Kyle
I'll be honest that when I read the entirety of the epic it was when I was translating it from the Latin in my class many years ago. We did use this translation to check ourselves and based on all the professors I had who go over the Aeneid they have said this is the best translation.

There's nothing more to say other than it's the story of Aeneas and his travels from Troy to Italy and the Trojan's victory. There are 12 books and it is fashioned in a poetry style in dactylic hexameter (and if you
Gene Skala
Well you have to read it sometime, right? Maybe this isn't too odd of a reason, but I picked this version of Odyssey because of the beautiful design, printed and deckled paper. I believe the 'feel' of a book adds alot to the experience.

Robert Fagles is amazing. After I read Illiad and then Aeneid, I'm convinced he's one, if not *the* greatest living translator. The story reads near conversational, which means you don't have to bother with many footnotes. But the big draw for me is that it loses
Elle
My high school English teachers will be glad to know that I finally read the Aeneid. "Of arms and the man I sing" has got to be one of the best opening sentences of all times. The story itself is gripping, the fall of Troy, the tragic fate of Dido, the politics of the gods, the pomp and circumstance of Trojan piety. Aeneas, like Odysseus before him, visits the underworld, long before Dante, but here we see the rebirth of souls with forgetfulness as the only redemption, and the glory of Rome anti ...more
kyle
Sep 19, 2009 kyle added it
Some extraordinary passages. The section on Dido and Aeneas is justly legendary. The description of the sacking of Troy is unforgettable. Even some of the sections I thought would be boring (on the funeral games, some of the battles, etc.) had beautiful passages and striking moments. Not sure if I'll feel a need to revisit it but glad I took the trip once.
* This just refers to the Aeneid.
Julia Farrell
This refers only to The Aeneid
Surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Never read it before. Great story, easy to read. One piece of advice, unless you are a Latin scholar, don't read the forward. The poem speaks for itself. Wonderful!
Pamela
Robert Fagles' translation of the Aeneid is superb. It's the only one I have finished so far and has made rereading this classic a pleasure and some of the best reading I have done in quite a while. Give yourself a treat!
Lena
Fagles' translations of all three works are by far my favorite. I'm sad that he didn't do one for the Metamorphoses.
Dana Ang Lopez
Iliad was a bit tiresome to read through. The Aeneid is basically the Roman version of the Odyssey.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Amelia Roland
Amelia Roland marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Jen Wang
Jen Wang marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
May 07, 2015
Taiz
Taiz marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Anthony Duran
Anthony Duran marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Monica
Monica added it
Apr 30, 2015
Fotis
Fotis marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Darcy Mantai
Darcy Mantai marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
  • Philoctetes
  • War Music: An Account of Books 1-4 and 16-19 of Homer's Iliad
  • The Fall of Troy
  • Herakles
  • The Odyssey: A Dramatic Retelling of Homer's Epic
  • Ulysses
  • The Art and Thought of Heraclitus: A New Arrangement and Translation of the Fragments with Literary and Philosophical Commentary
  • The Trojan War: A New History
  • Protagoras
  • Thesmophoriazusae
  • The Burden of Southern History
  • The Essential Writings
  • Appalachia: Poems
  • The Science of Hitting
In the Western classical tradition, Homer (Greek: Όμηρος) is considered the author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, and is revered as the greatest of ancient Greek epic poets. These epics lie at the beginning of the Western canon of literature, and have had an enormous influence on the history of literature.
When he lived is unknown. Herodotus estimates that Homer lived 400 years before his own time,
More about Homer...
The Odyssey The Iliad The Iliad/The Odyssey Homeric Hymns The Odyssey, Book 1-12