Start by marking “Vampire Nation” as Want to Read:
Vampire Nation

Vampire Nation

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Do vampires exist among us? Of course. For centuries, an underground society of vampires has thrived in darkness, hidden from the public gaze and forever shrouded in secrecy—until now.Plunge deep into the heart of vampirism as renowned vampire expert Arlene Russo dispels centuries-old myths and unearths shocking revelations, from the startling discovery that Prince Charles ...more
Published September 8th 2008 by Llewellyn Publications (first published December 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Nation

Steve Cran
Dec 15, 2014 Steve Cran rated it really liked it

Do you believe that there are vampires living among us, hidden in the general population hidden behind veils of secrecy? Define a vampire. What is your image of a vampire? There are many such images and your definition of a vampire might be different from the person sitting next to you. In fact the person next to you might well be a vampire.

Vampires are definitely the most popular of all cinematic monsters. Made famous by the suave count Dracula portrayed by Bela Lugosi. Vampires are viewed as s
Purnacandra Sivarupa
Dec 11, 2010 Purnacandra Sivarupa rated it did not like it
Shelves: occultism
I couldn't list all of the factual problems with this book if you gave me a week to do it. I grand that Russo did a lot of interesting research, but seems to consistently miss the mark in the process of interpreting the information so gained. I suppose it'll do fine for those people who wish they were vampires, or who actively practice some form of vampirism and wish to delude themselves into justifying it, but for sane, rational, ethical people, it is worthless.
Christy Stewart
At times this was interesting, but most of the time skimmed the cream of the informational milk. If you don't know anything about vampires this will all be new to you...If you do (or are one) you'll be bored.
Jansen
Feb 22, 2014 Jansen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vampire fans
This book does a good job of breaking down the different vampire cultures for the uninitiated: lifestylers, psi vamps, fetishists, religious practitioners, covens, blood drinkers, and vampire hunters. My only problem with it was a couple glaring factual errors I came across: Akasha, in the movie based on Anne Rice's "Queen of the Damned", is NOT the protagonist, but, in fact, the antagonist. Also, the author refers to Bram Stoker as an Englishman at one point. He was, in fact, Irish. One mistake ...more
Jenny Churchill
Mar 10, 2008 Jenny Churchill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hannah
Shelves:
So far...absolutely brilliant book! Has helped me loads
Heather Campbell
Apr 19, 2012 Heather Campbell rated it did not like it
I feel the biggest issue with this book is it can' t decide if it's trying to be more anthropology/sociology or if it wants to just to pout at you that it is real. I feel it's an example of an author "going native," where they begin to heavily associate with the subculture as themselves. It becomes an extension of themselves and must be defended.
It failed to ask some important questions in my opinion, or to explore any other possibility as the reality of vampire existing: the psychology of it,
Stine
Jan 17, 2016 Stine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had read A LOT of it elsewhere, at one point I thought that I might have already read the book before. The whole thing was more like an article with the same things over and over again. But I did like the ending of comparing vampires with extraterrestrial beings.
Ray
Jun 09, 2014 Ray rated it liked it
An interesting insight into vampire life stylers in the UK, however seems a little narrow in its research and I'm left wondering how much is still relevant today.
Sarah Wilson
Feb 08, 2011 Sarah Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
reqbat
Nov 11, 2011 reqbat added it
in dire need of an editor. just unbearable to read, a total mess.
Jp Vanir
Nov 16, 2013 Jp Vanir rated it it was amazing
Very Great insight of the Vampire community
Wyatt Williams
Wyatt Williams marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Emma Spencer
Emma Spencer marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Sylvain Croteau
Sylvain Croteau marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Aurora Moore
Aurora Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Leanna
Leanna added it
Jan 18, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Tanya
Tanya added it
Dec 27, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Sosodurand
Sosodurand marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Shewan
Shewan marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Angela
Angela added it
Sep 27, 2015
Countess Drusilla Steele
Countess Drusilla Steele marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Sirensaria
Sirensaria rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The author is an active part of the vampire scene long before she ever thought of writing about it. She is a trusted member of the community. She obtained her MA Honours Arts Degree from the University of Glasgow in 1991 and set about teaching herself to be a journalist. Then in 1999 she taught herself to self-publish and launched Bite me magazine, single handedly.

Arlene Russo is editor and publis
More about Arlene Russo...