Start by marking “Vampire Nation” as Want to Read:
Vampire Nation

Vampire Nation

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Do vampires exist among us? Of course. For centuries, an underground society of vampires has thrived in darkness, hidden from the public gaze and forever shrouded in secrecy--until now.Plunge deep into the heart of vampirism as renowned vampire expert Arlene Russo dispels centuries-old myths and unearths shocking revelations, from the startling discovery that Prince Charle ...more
Published September 8th 2008 by Llewellyn Publications (first published December 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Nation

Steve Cran

Do you believe that there are vampires living among us, hidden in the general population hidden behind veils of secrecy? Define a vampire. What is your image of a vampire? There are many such images and your definition of a vampire might be different from the person sitting next to you. In fact the person next to you might well be a vampire.

Vampires are definitely the most popular of all cinematic monsters. Made famous by the suave count Dracula portrayed by Bela Lugosi. Vampires are viewed as s
Purnacandra Sivarupa
I couldn't list all of the factual problems with this book if you gave me a week to do it. I grand that Russo did a lot of interesting research, but seems to consistently miss the mark in the process of interpreting the information so gained. I suppose it'll do fine for those people who wish they were vampires, or who actively practice some form of vampirism and wish to delude themselves into justifying it, but for sane, rational, ethical people, it is worthless.
Christy Stewart
At times this was interesting, but most of the time skimmed the cream of the informational milk. If you don't know anything about vampires this will all be new to you...If you do (or are one) you'll be bored.
Jansen
Feb 22, 2014 Jansen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vampire fans
This book does a good job of breaking down the different vampire cultures for the uninitiated: lifestylers, psi vamps, fetishists, religious practitioners, covens, blood drinkers, and vampire hunters. My only problem with it was a couple glaring factual errors I came across: Akasha, in the movie based on Anne Rice's "Queen of the Damned", is NOT the protagonist, but, in fact, the antagonist. Also, the author refers to Bram Stoker as an Englishman at one point. He was, in fact, Irish. One mistake ...more
Jenny Churchill
Mar 10, 2008 Jenny Churchill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hannah
So far...absolutely brilliant book! Has helped me loads
Heather Campbell
I feel the biggest issue with this book is it can' t decide if it's trying to be more anthropology/sociology or if it wants to just to pout at you that it is real. I feel it's an example of an author "going native," where they begin to heavily associate with the subculture as themselves. It becomes an extension of themselves and must be defended.
It failed to ask some important questions in my opinion, or to explore any other possibility as the reality of vampire existing: the psychology of it,
Stine
I had read A LOT of it elsewhere, at one point I thought that I might have already read the book before. The whole thing was more like an article with the same things over and over again. But I did like the ending of comparing vampires with extraterrestrial beings.
Ray
An interesting insight into vampire life stylers in the UK, however seems a little narrow in its research and I'm left wondering how much is still relevant today.
Sarah Wilson
reqbat
Nov 11, 2011 reqbat added it
in dire need of an editor. just unbearable to read, a total mess.
Jp Vanir
Very Great insight of the Vampire community
Taylor
Taylor added it
May 13, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Raven Sentinel
Raven Sentinel marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Heather Smith
Heather Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Jeffrey Deighton
Jeffrey Deighton marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Zeynep
Zeynep marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Courtney Rose Sampson
Courtney Rose Sampson marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Amelia Nightside
Amelia Nightside marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2014
Karl Falzon
Karl Falzon marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The author is an active part of the vampire scene long before she ever thought of writing about it. She is a trusted member of the community. She obtained her MA Honours Arts Degree from the University of Glasgow in 1991 and set about teaching herself to be a journalist. Then in 1999 she taught herself to self-publish and launched Bite me magazine, single handedly.

Arlene Russo is editor and publis
More about Arlene Russo...
Real Twilight The Real Twilight True Stories of Modern Day Vampires Histoire Secrète Des Vampires: [Révélations Sur Les Vampires Des Temps Modernes]