Start by marking “Gateways (Repairman Jack, #7)” as Want to Read:
Gateways (Repairman Jack, #7)

Gateways (Repairman Jack #7)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,102 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Following last year's successful The Haunted Air, F. Paul Wilson returns with another riveting episode in the saga of Repairman Jack, the secretive, ingenious, and heroic champion of those whose problems no one else can solve. As Dean Koontz says, "Repairman Jack is one of the most original and intriguing characters to arise out of contemporary fiction in ages. His adventu...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Tor Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Gateways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gateways

Mike (the Paladin)
Some of my friends who see this on my "update" will realize that I started this last night after I finished the "Repairman Jack" book that preceded it. The Haunted Air. That one I gave 5 stars...this one gets 4. I'll say why a little later, but suffice it to say that it's still and excellent book and I've already gone to my shelves and pulled the next volume in the series down. They've been waiting there to be read a long time and I've become involved of late. The books seem to me to star out pr...more
Mandy
Jadewik
When Jack learns his father is in a coma, he flies to Florida and is immersed in a whirlwind of conspiracy surrounding the accident that put his dad in a coma.

Another Repairman Jack success story. I really love this character. This isn't my favorite book in the series. Like the other books in the series, it flows smooth and fast and really keeps the reader interested throughout. You don't learn so much about Jack in this book; however, you do learn a lot about his father.

The one thing that I fou...more
NumberLord
Another great Repairman Jack novel. Not only do we have a decent story, but we find out just a little more about Jack and the Otherness. And we even get a guest appearance by Rasalom!
David
F. Paul Wilson, according to his bio, is a practicing physician. But he must spend the bulk of the rest of his time thinking up crazy stories for his novels. His mind appears to be quite prolific in that regard. Repairman Jack is back in "Gateways" and it is a really fun story, this time with Dad in on the action.

The book begins with Jack learning that his father has been in an accident and is now in a coma down in Florida. Jack leaves town for Novaton, Florida and is soon embroiled in another...more
David
Oct 27, 2013 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
The seventh book of the Repairman Jack series is pivotal in many ways. Jack and the reader learn more about his dad, who in turn learns more about Jack. More is learned about the lady with a dog character that shows up in many ways. Also, for fans of the Secret History of the World books beyond the RJ series, the major villain is once again revealed by his true name, and Jack finally glimpses his terrifying power. With the Everglades setting, this could be an exceptionally good entry with only t...more
David Agranoff
This is the seventh Repairman Jack novel, and it follows The Haunted Air which to me was the strongest entry in the series since the second book Legacies. They are all entertaining novels, and this one manages to keep the high level of horror and suspense while still building the greater story that spans two separate series and almost two dozen novels.

In this novel Jack is taken out of his comfort zone of New York City and the region. The city, Long Island and New jersey are almost like characte...more
Tim Hicks
Maybe I shouldn't have made this my first Repairman Jack book, but meh.
Just not that compelling. I've read several books before - Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaassen come to mind - that do the same setup of driving out to the Everglades, boating in deeper, meeting Something Mysterious. Didn't feel anything new in this one.

There are some good characters here. Soon as Carl was introduced I knew it wasn't going to end well for him. Anya was OK.

But most of all, Jack just didn't engage my interest. Th...more
Scott
This is definitely the best one so far. These books seem to have an accumulative effect on me. I really enjoy that the world doesn't completely turn upside down at the introduction of supernatural elements. For the most part, life is fairly normal. It is satisfying that the author is not to quick to pull back the curtain.
Ensiform
Jack gets a call from his brother (a judge, who seems distracted by something, a plot point which remains unexplored: I smell foreshadowing of the next volume!) to say their father is in a coma as the result of a hit-and-run. Jack flies to Florida and encounters a feisty old lady, Anya Mundy (Mother Nature?) who’s been tasking care of his father. After an initial period of dullness, the penny drops and Jack realizes that she is or represents some sort of magical force. Pitted against her are a b...more
Grant Howard
This installment gives us a lot more in the war between The Ally and The Otherness that Jack has become involved in. Another mysterious old lady with a dog makes an appearance as in "Hosts" and "The Haunted Air" but this time she's a main character and Jack finally gets to ask some questions. It's also confirmed for anagram fans that Sal Roma is Rasalom of Wilson's parallel "Adversary" series. We get to learn a lot about Jack's father (as he learns a lot about Jack!) and we get a glimpse of his...more
Chris
Apr 27, 2009 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Repairman Jack fans
Another great addition to the Repairman Jack series. Mr Wilson does a great job keeping this series fresh. This time Jack is out of his element as he leaves his familiar New York turf and winds up in the Florida Everglades. Populated with lots of interesting characters, including Jack's father, the story doesn't revolve around one of Jack's fix-its but instead digs a little deeper into Jack's background and examines and expands upon his relationship with his father. Never fear though, there is s...more
Haydensdad
Nothing else will be coincidence for Jack. This time Jack finds himself flying to his estranged fathers side in Florida after a mysterious hit and run leaves Jack's dad in a coma. Jack encounters Anya his fathers neighbour, another strange old lady with a dog and insights into the "Otherness". Along the way Jack encounters a strange group of deformed backwater glades men, and their defacto leader Semelee.

As Jack tries to discover the reason for the hit and run accident more clues concerning the...more
K
Jack tells his family he is a repairman--perhaps he should say "fix-it" man.
He is called to look in on his father, in a coma, and get pulled into a fight of the otherness--again.
It took a while to figure out exactly what was going on, kept me reading, wanting to know.
I liked that we as readers get to meet and know his family more in this book.
I have read other Jack books, not realizing the pattern/overall story happening since they are usually so far apart. I am intrigued and will try to read so...more
Taylor Hansen
Another entertaining entry into the series. Once again I liked that this one featured a new setting and theme which keep the books really interesting and provide insight into various cultural, religious, spiritual, and paranormal themes. You also get continually more of the "Otherness" through the books which provide a nice continual thread which grows more and more engaging. We also learn more about Jack and his fathers relationship in this book, and which finally progresses. There's a great an...more
Carey Gibbons
I think this is my favorite RJ book so far, but Conspiracies and The Haunted Air come really close. Wilson does a great job telling another RJ tale, but adds the element of family as Jack gets to know that his father isn't the man he assumed he was. I like that Jack is out of his element here, having traveled to Florida to care for his comatose dad after a nasty hit and run accident. We also meet Jack's dad's neighbor Anya (of the beef jerky complexion and Long Island accent) and her chihuahua O...more
Tom
I was a little worried about this one. Though I generally enjoy Repairman Jack's adventures, the last time Jack helped his family the book in question was the sub-par Hosts, where Jack was little better than a bystander in his own novel. Fortunately, even with the fish-out-of-water elements of Jack in Southern Florida, he does well, and Wilson builds more on what there already is in the form of Jack's father, finally given part of a name ("Tom"). Worth the trip for Jack's fans.
Clint
Repairman Jack goes to see is dad in Florida, and I got vibes that the book was haunted by Carl Hiaasen. From the time he lands in Miami right up until we meet the gardener I had this odd feeling. but when the gardner has a weed whacker coming out of his shirt sleeve, I laughed out loud, startling everyone, at the influences. I like all of Hiaasen's books, and found numerous homage to him in the story, all tickled me just a little bit, like an inside joke.
I liked the story, Jack was good, beginn...more
Michael
Jacks dad is in a coma down in Florida, and his brother Tom can't get away from his legal issues to go down there. So Jack heads down, and of course there's no more coincidences in his life, so what's the Otherness catch here? (Of course Jack doesn't see it at first) But then he finds a lady with a dog lives next door to his dad, and of course he's ran into a few of those lately, so what's the catch here?

I especially like in this book meeting Jacks dad, and discovering with Jack that there is mo...more
Jeff J.
Taking Repairman Jack out of his New York City milieu and into the Florida Everglades leads to a weaker entry in the series. On the other hand, I suspect it will prove to be a pivotal novel in the overall storyline. Jack's relationship with his father and brother are further developed, and we learn significant new details about "the Otherness".
Betty410
I've had a breather from Jack but tried again. This story still has some outlandish with the Other but it is toned down considerably.
Jack has to go to Florida because his Dad has been in an accident and is in a coma. As usual in these yarns, something strange is going on. This is a nice read because Jack and his Dad actually get acquainted and involved together in the adventure. Even some of the "creepies" have interesting qualities.
It was fun if you don't mind a bit of the outlandish.
Susan
Father & son re-discover each other & unite to fight together to avenge a friend who is cruelly treated. The outstanding bravery of a little chihuahua & the wisdom of his mistress. Based in the Everglades more so than New York with some creatures you wouldn't want to meet along with a mis-used cruel vindictive girl the action is non stop & there in the background is the supernatural element
Not a book to read if you have something else to do, very hard to put down
Excellent read
Heather
This was a great read. If you are a fan of the Repairman Jack series, you will really like this one. Jack and his father reconnect, and "The Otherness" is a big part of this book. Sal Roma shows up, and you learn his real name. Jack meets another "woman with a dog" .. only this time you actually learn something. If this review doesn't make sense...then drive to your nearest book store, and start with the "The Tomb", it is the first book in the Repairman Jack series.
Penny
Yet another book I had forgotten the detail - maybe one of the first ones I read, of the few they have at my public library. It's a bit lacking here and there - although Jack and his father are interesting together - a dynamic you see no where else but this one book. "The Lady" is quite strange in this rendition - she's more than a bit bizarre. Colorful book, those "nexus points" are trouble! Everyone know that. Not a bad read, surely an excellent book for the faithful.
Bryan457
Repairman Jack goes to Florida; his father is in a coma after a car wreck. Jack mostly repairs his relationship with his dad. He learns a lot about the war between the Otherness,the Ally and a mysterious 3rd group. There are foreshadowings of DARK things to come for Jack in the near future.

My favorite parts of these books has been the jobs he takes, cleverly bringing a little justice for those who can't get it any other way. I Kind of missed that in this book.
UtahJarhead
Excellent story in the Repairman Jack series. In Gateways, Jack finds himself flying, ID and all, to Florida to be with his father who's been in a car accident leaving him in a coma. Sure, the ID isn't actually HIS, but fans of Repairman Jack won't find that surprising. This book takes on the genre of a small town mystery to find out who's after his dad, after all... there are no such things a coincidences anymore.
Melissa
I really really like Repairman Jack novels, so this is a 5-star for me.
Kristopher
More Repairman Jack goodness. This time Jack is in Florida, after his father is in a car accident and is in a coma. Nice change of pace, right?

Wrong. Just like all of his repair jobs, it never goes totally smooth.

Facing down a deformed clan of backwoods people (and an old, terrible enemy), strange and otherworldly creatures, mutated swamp wildlife...Jack will have his hands full for sure this time.

Meg
The first of the Jack books that really introduces us to his father, Gagteways has been one of my favorite of F. Paul Wilson's thus far.

Jack is taken out of his element on a trip to Florida after he finds out his father is in the hospital. Anya, the neighbor of Jack's father, and her chihuahua, Irv, add a wonderful and often humorous counterpoint to what could have been a downer of a novel.
Eric
Another excellent entry in the Repairman Jack series. It's a bit different than the others, with less action but more mystery and more emphasis on Jack's relationship with his dad and another woman with a cool dog. I also got the impression that Wilson tried to strees Jack as a regular guy, like when he had trouble re-folding a map. It was a nice touch, and of course I loved the apperance of Rasalom.
  • Draculas
  • Doctor Who: The Chimes of Midnight (Big Finish Audio Drama, #29)
  • Cropper's Cabin
  • Kill Whitey
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Mystery Walk
  • Pennies for the Ferryman (Dead Eye #1)
  • Spirits From Beyond (Ghost Finders, #4)
  • Fireflies
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • The World on Blood
  • Doctor Who: Storm Warning (Big Finish Audio Drama, #16)
  • Vampire World I: Blood Brothers (Necroscope, #6)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • The President's Vampire (Nathaniel Cade, #2)
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...
The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1) Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2) Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3) All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)