Start by marking “始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命” as Want to Read:
始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命

始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  622 ratings  ·  47 reviews
The careful balance between silence and words, withdrawal and involvement, distance and closeness, solitude and community forms the basis of the Christian life and, according to Nouwen, should therefore be the subject of our most personal attention.
Published January 1993 by 基道書樓 (first published November 30th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about 始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命

Leah
I have had an exceptional year when it comes to reading some really great books. This is another one to add to that list. Henry Nouwen is quickly becoming one of my favorite spiritual authors. He was a professor of Divinity at Yale, and yet somehow manages to say the most profound things using simple phrases that pull on the heart-strongs and make you go, "Yes, I've felt that way too!" This book talks about the importance of solitude, care, and expectation. He talks about how Jesus often withdre ...more
Stephanie
This is one of my favorite books to give as a gift. Great comfort and direction about how to understand your work--and it's place in your life. He works through the need for and joys of solitude. Then he explains the richness that a heart shaped by solitude brings to the community. He always ends with community.

If you've read Nouwen, you'll find that his style in Out of Solitude is different from other works. I don't know the reason for this. But he uses words a small child would understand--I
Lauren
Not finished yet, so can't say 5 stars, but it's on it's way! A couple favorite passages:

(From Thomas Merton's forward)
"The compulsion to cure is like action without a deep and silent center. We want to overcome problems and adversities and want to change at all costs. An alternative is to care for ourselves, each other, and our world. We wouldn't need change and cure if we were in a constant caring mode."

From the first section
"Somewhere we know that without a lonely place our lives are in dange
Joseph
Out of Solitude reads like a manual in advanced prayer - prompting more questions about one's self than it answers. The book contains three meditations on solitude, caring, and expectation. Each are scripturally-based and supported, giving the reader a firm foundation on which to assess their lives and discern the direction they wish to follow in light of these revelations.
Ian
Nouwen reflects on the importance of solitude in achieving balance in our daily walk. Time spent alone with God allows us to become more aware of His purposes and equips us to let go of the world's.

This short but weighty set of three messages require time to percolate as there is much to contemplate.

Highly recommended.
Sue
A short book, but thought-provoking. It's three meditations that were originally given as sermons. They are short and simple, but at the same time profound. I re-read two of them as soon as I had finished, so as to take them in better.

The first one talks about the need for withdrawing to be alone with God; the second about the need for care - for empathy, and suffering alongside people - in a society that's more concerned with cure. The third is about living in expectation of better things, and
Robert Clay
Nouwen packs a lot of simple, yet no less profound, wisdom into these three short meditations. Each is drawn from a Gospel lesson, with the interconnected focus of solitude, care, and expectation.
An excerpt:
'This is the great conversion in our life: to recognize and believe that the many unexpected events are not just disturbing interruptions of our projects, but the way in which God molds our hearts and prepares us for His return.'
Karen L.
I found this short book very refreshing. I want to read more Henri Nouwen. His style is very personal. He writes humbly and honestly out of his own struggles. I like how each section opens with a gospel passage emphasizing Christ's quiet times of solitude with his Father.
Kyna
A wonderful tool for the comtemplative practice. I read it before bed and spend time in silence with God. Not a lot of words in this book, mostly a thought provoking ushering into moments of solitude.
Liz
This was the first book I read by Henri Nouwen. Love this author. He is one of those teachers that teaches from the heart of one who has "been there".
Emily
Like most Nouwen I've read, this was really rich. I wrote down a lot of quotes from a small book.
Mad Russian the Traveller
This was light but profound, and it's as if the author had read Bonhoeffer's "Life Together" because there were some places where the words were eerily parallel. This will be re-read again as there is so much to mine that I might as well post the entire contents. The author uses the biblical dialectic like Bonhoeffer does in the above referenced work. Here is an example from the Introduction:

"I want to reflect on this lonely place in our lives. Somewhere we know that without a lonely place our l
Karen
My mother slipped her browny-orange copy from '77 into my bag before she left, her name in cursive inside the front cover, pumpkin-round and unslanted. Solitude, suffering, vocation, creativity, caring, community, joy, bread, wine. This is the Christianity and Nouwen is the type of christian I remember growing up with. Basically where all my values came from, although I no longer have faith. I read it out of duty and nostalgia, but found so much is relevant to my current reflections, because the ...more
Angela
"‎Somewhere we know that without a lonely place our lives are in danger. Somewhere we know that without silence our words lose their meaning, that without listening speaking no longer heals, that without distance closeness cannot cure."

"It is in this solitude that we discover than being is more important than having, and that we are worth more than the result of our efforts."

These are just a few of the many wise words Henri Nouwen relays to his readers in this tiny, thin little book. It's a book
Abigail
This is a short volume of three of Nouwen's sermons given at Yale in 1974. There are a few passages I took the time to copy down. I recommend this for a quiet Sunday afternoon.
Loved this book. Very applicable to where I am now. Used it for a retreat
MT
This small work is actually three sermons by Nouwen . The three themes are "Out of Solitude", "With Care" and "In Expectation" and mirror the life of Jesus. In solitude he came to understand and live in the fulness of his mission. He gained strength, clarity, focus and peace in his solitude.

His solitude led him out into the world with a purpose to care for people, individually and collectively. Ultimately his mission was to point toward the expectation of his mission and fulfillment of the work
Marty
Superb!

As its title suggests, Nouwen explores how solitude precedes community, silence comes before meaningful words, and empathy opens the door for compassion. Of huge import, he writes, "The friend who cares makes it clear that whatever happens in the external world, being present to each other is what really matters." (p. 39). In terms of doing our own spiritual work, Nouwen reminds us how reframing our circumstances can be key in providing a curative salve for ourselves and for the people wh
Lisa N
Simple prose; comforting and very insightful.

Profound thoughts on introspection , balance, and true compassion.

“Our greatest temptations are boredom and bitterness.”

“The paradox of expectation indeed is that those who believe in tomorrow can better live today, that those who expect joy to come out of sadness can discover the beginnings of a new life in the center of the old, that those who look forward to the returning Lord can discover him already in their midst.”
Patrick
Out of Solitude is a small book filled with only three meditations. out of solitude,with care,andin expectations. in slitude we can find peace in our Lord. Out of that peace comes the ability to care with open hearts and open hands.That caring leads us us to an expectation of hope in our Risen Lord, An expectation in patience and joy. Find a place or a time each day in your life, A place of solitude so that you may live your life out of that solitude where you meet Him.
Raul
Out of Solitude is one of the shortest books I have read but also one of the most impacting and thought-provoking reads in my life. The simplicity and depth of Nouwen's musings are like water that slowly corrodes the stone heart. This book has stirred me to take time in solitude with my Father in heaven, to care more for others, and to patiently wait for my Lord's return! I definitely recommend this book to anybody seeking a more profound walk with Jesus.
Patti
What a way to put my selfish ways into a whole new perspective--Yikes! He has a fantastic writing style and gentle in his approach but gets right to the message of walking the walk in other people's lives without having to "fix or cure" them. I tend to want to step out and distance from the reality and vulnuarabilty of opening the door to just sit in the pain with others...or vice versa.
Hon3yb33
Jan 13, 2008 Hon3yb33 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: recently-read
This book is so short you can read it all within a day. However, it's packed with SO much goodness you can't possibly process everything he says within a day. This is a book one should space out into three weeks to fully grasp the three chapters that are so eloquently written out by Nouwen.
Joel
im re-reading this book of short meditations on solitude and it has been refreshing- reminds me that my soul needs solitude before i can enter into life in community.
its a great one for reading a couple pages a day for 10 minutes and thinking through it throughout the day.
Cecilia
當我們撫心自問: 誰是我生命中最重要的人? ......

是那些分嘗我甘苦的友人,
那用溫柔的手肘, 親撫我傷口的同伴,
那個靜靜地伴在我旁, 與我同度每一個悲傷 失落 混亂 無望 及種種難奈歲月的同行者......

我們是否願意不再逃避苦楚的臨近, 不再故意裝作忙碌, 而願意和哀痛的人面對...呢?

我們怎樣才算或怎樣成為一個關顧的羣體, 這個群體內的人不會試題用慣性的忽略去掩蓋或逃避痛苦, 但卻願將分擔痛苦作為醫治和新生的泉源

<始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命>
Christopher Beck
I can't believe I haven't read Nouwen before. Short, simple, but loaded. I was pleasantly surprised at how long it took me to read a 60 page book; each meditation takes considerable reflection before reading the next.
Bledar
I regret forgetting this book at the retreat center I was. During my fight over jetlag, I read these three meditations and started to love more the depth and the challenge of Noewen's writings.
Kristin B
So far, it's a biblically solid reminder to imitate Christ's example of withdrawing in prayer and to be careful not to equate worth with productivity.
James
Thoughtful meditations on the paradox of solitude and community. I think I connected more with Bonhoeffer's "Life Together" but this was still good.
Wade
This is a great book about getting alone and spending time with Jesus and that being what gives us strength to go out and care for others well.
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
  • The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality
  • Community And Growth
  • We Drink from Our Own Wells: The Spiritual Journey of a People
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, The Simpsons, and Other Pop Culture Icons
  • The Magnificent Defeat
  • The Divine Milieu
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...
The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World The Inner Voice of Love

“When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.” 11684 likes
“When we start being too impressed by the results of our work, we slowly come to the erroneous conviction that life is one large scoreboard where someone is listing the points to measure our worth. And before we are fully aware of it, we have sold our soul to the many grade-givers. That means we are not only in the world, but also of the world. Then we become what the world makes us. We are intelligent because someone gives us a high grade. We are helpful because someone says thanks. We are likable because someone likes us. And we are important because someone considers us indispensable. In short, we are worthwhile because we have successes. And the more we allow our accomplishments — the results of our actions — to become the criteria of our self-esteem, the more we are going to walk on our mental and spiritual toes, never sure if we will be able to live up to the expectations which we created by our last successes. In many people’s lives, there is a nearly diabolic chain in which their anxieties grow according to their successes. This dark power has driven many of the greatest artists into self-destruction.” 19 likes