Start by marking “Vampire Haiku” as Want to Read:
Vampire Haiku

Vampire Haiku

You hold in your hands a recently discovered poetry journal—the poetry journal of a vampire. William Butten was en route to a new land on the Mayflower when he was turned into a vampire by a fellow passenger, a beautiful woman named Katherine. These pages contain his heartbreaking story—the story of a vampire who has lived through (and perhaps caused) some of America's ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by How Books

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Haiku

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
181st out of 1,352 books — 7,203 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareBlood Promise by Richelle MeadHunted by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson Noel
Books for 2009
218th out of 578 books — 2,435 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Jul 21, 2009 karen rated it liked it
Shelves: for-laughter, pomes
somewhat disappointing. the reason the zombie one was so freaking hilarious is because zombies are these lumbering, inarticulate, limb-dropping monsters, and the thought of them, in their free time, composing elegant little haikus, makes laughter in me. vampires dont have the same contrast, so the laughter in me is smaller. i like this one though:

you would be surprised-
the amount of wooden stakes
that are in most rooms

but the design gets an a-plus...
Nicay │  The Nerdy side of a Queen
description

Vampire Haiku by Ryan Mecum, nice title isn't it? I got curious when I first laid my eyes in this book. Ryan Mecum wrote this book through the use of the 5-7-5 syllables of Haiku. It was a journal type book but in a Haiku way. William Butten, the character in this book and the one who made the journal was a vampire. Ooppps.. Sorry spoiler.

"Five syllables first,
then followed by seven more,
and then five again."

William Butten, as he explores living in a vampire life was pretty amazing. And how
sj
Nov 13, 2011 sj rated it really liked it
This little book takes on the guise of a journal kept by William Butten, a passenger on the Mayflower, who had decided to chronicle his adventures in the form of "small poems."

While loading the boat,
I notice some packed coffins.
Pessimistic Bunch.

Less than a week into their journey to the New World (now I have this song in my head), he meets a mysterious (and gorgeous, obvs) female who he finds out is (again, obviously) a vampire. The rest of the story details the history of what became America f
Lexi (Pink Jellyfish)
Amazing...

Fav. quote:

"Those were not vampires.
If sunlight makes you sparkle,
You’re a unicorn."
Serena
Dec 31, 2009 Serena rated it it was amazing
Ryan Mecum's Vampire Haiku mixes humor and poetry in diary form for vampire William Butten, who was turned in 1620. He falls in love with a beautiful woman on the Mayflower named Katherine, who turned him into a vampire. Soon he's parted from his love to roam America on his own and make his own friends. There are tales of some well known historic figures from Davy Crockett to Amelia Earhart and famous events in history like the Civil War and Woodstock.

Readers may initialy be attracted to the cov
Lori
Dec 30, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Thanks to Ryan, who agreed to mail me out a copy of this book to review.

What's better than curling up with a book of poetry on a snowy evening? How about curling up with a book of Vampire poetry! Ryan Mecum has a way with words in this quirky collection of haiku's written by a man who was turned into a vampire buy the woman he loved. He chronicles his journey to America, and documents not only the search for his beloved, but also the times through which he exists, and his influence on historical
Vanessa
Jul 29, 2009 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Got this hot off the press and read it in one sitting, laughing and "ewww"ing the whole time. That's a good thing. This small, delightfully gross book by the (surprise!) Zombie Haiku author Ryan Mecum provides even more 5-7-5 gems of pop culture and gore.

I was having a bad day and this little book turned my pointy frown upside down.
Ryan
Mar 28, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sucked (get it?).
FreYal Omar
Nov 25, 2016 FreYal Omar rated it it was amazing
I loved it!
James
Mar 30, 2015 James rated it it was amazing
I was at a bookstore to pick up a copy of Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories and noted this on a shelf nearby. I like horror, but I am not in love with it in many of its modern literary forms and, of late, most vampire stories have left me wanting more or, in some cases, less banal meandering. Yet, I picked up the book and read the back cover and noted the idea of vampires affecting human history was mentioned near the end. I immensely enjoyed the book Abraham Lincoln: ...more
Cindy
Aug 28, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Vampire Haiku is a poetry journal written by a vampire whose life spans for centuries, starting during the birth of America. The undead poet was turned into a vampire hundreds of years ago and has lived through (and possibly caused) some of America’s defining events. Although many of the haiku stand on their own, the hundreds of haiku also flow together to tell one story of being a vampire, living during the entire history of America, and forever longing to find and be with the woman who turned ...more
Misha
Oct 01, 2011 Misha rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, vampires, 2011
This was a delightful and unexpected little volume of haiku that tell the story of a vampire from the time he's turned on the Mayflower to just about the present day. I expected a funny book of assorted little vampire poems, but instead I got a narrative in poetry form that is sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, and sometimes heartbreaking. I also have to give kudos to the book designer. I laughed out loud when I reached the page where William is turned -- and saw the illustrated blood ...more
Joshua Gage
Sep 13, 2014 Joshua Gage rated it did not like it

However, many readers will forgive Mecum these glaring errors, as the book is clearly listed as "humor," and issues with historical accuracy and poetic quality can be written off as part of the joke. That being said, Vampire Haiku is not without its cringe moments, and there are a few places where readers will shudder. Readers interested in a quick, humorous vampire read that explores and reinvents United States history through a blood-sucking lens and challenges modern vampire stereotypes will
jean
Feb 24, 2016 jean rated it it was amazing
10 stars! if i could give that much..hahah

this was my first time reading a haiku form of a book/story. oh, it was meant to be a poetry journal from a perspective of a vampire. it was hilarious, very entertaining with a touch of facts and history at some point. though the ending was a bit heartbreaking for our dear vampire, still it was a great story. and i loved it that way. also, the graphic each page adds up to the perfection of this book.

great job for the author, Ryan Mecum. he just created
Teresa
Oct 14, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it
Loved it! These 'Haiku Horror' books are like 20 minute reads to clear your head. The only reason I dropped this from 5 to 4 stars is because of some chronological issues, and a little flip flopping between whether or not 'vampire' is 2 or 3 syllables. Other than that, I highly recommend to vampire lovers of all sorts, although this 'vampire's journal' tears apart some of the most popular vampire lit and movies, Twilight included. It made me laugh though, because I hated Twilight as much as our ...more
Aimée
Nov 02, 2013 Aimée rated it really liked it
I don't know when I actually read this book. College, most likely. I just found this while I was sorting through my old stuff. I remembered buying it because of the colors (as lively as goth can be), and for a really cheap price.

Well, this had been a very entertaining read. While I am not really that much of a vampire fiend (except for Damon!), I still enjoy vampire reads written in a very humorous fashion. Mr. Mecum's writing had been very delightful and insightful, what with all the history in
SAPL Christina
Oct 09, 2009 SAPL Christina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Twi-hards, goths and Joss Whedon fans
Shae
Mar 07, 2010 Shae rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed by this book. I absolutely loved Zombie Haiku, and it remains one of the most brilliant things I've ever read, so this book was a giant let down. Maybe I was expecting too much out of it or expecting something different, but either way, I did not like it. I thought the random bits of historical things were boring, and the end was just ridiculous. Talking about modern vampire books and television completely ruined the last part of it. Ugh.
Angela Maher
Aug 31, 2012 Angela Maher rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire
It seems a strange way to write a book, a vampire's journal, written entirely in haiku poems. It works really quite well, however. Some of the language is noticeably not what would have been used at the date of the entry, but the rhythm of the words adds a feeling to the work that is very fitting. The underlying story is good, but I think the links to historic events are slightly overdone. A nicely presented book, and a good, quick read for when you're wanting something different.
Lindsey
This book was just plain silly and a bit on the gross side. There are some vague historical references, a vague, weird love story, and lots of drinking blood. That pretty much sums this book up. Not a great well-developed story, but could be a fun read aloud for reluctant readers. The graphics are just Okay. That aren't spectacular, some are cheesy, but I think mediocre graphics are better than none.
Hope Faith
Jul 26, 2016 Hope Faith rated it liked it
No. No. No. No. I always have this kind of optimism when it comes to Haiku. That maybe it will be something more than 5-7-5. It was sort of disappointing that this was just a story that was under the disguise of Haiku.

I don't really like it. I liked the story but the three stars was a really generous rating. It would be 2 stars if I didn't like the story. I did like the story though. I wouldn't recommend the book if you're actually looking for haiku but it's a decent read.
Alli
Nov 10, 2013 Alli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is a story about a man who is traveling and gets turned into a vampire. the whole book is his whole life story as a vampire and its told in haikus. this book is a true piece of art. They story line is well told and the way he writes it is perfection. i recommend this to anyone who loves vampire stories or loves haiku.
August
Apr 13, 2011 August rated it liked it
This book was almost there. It was clever, although I think haiku is kind of a cheap trick, and certainly some of the "plot points" were surprisingly thought-out -- but it's vampires. And haiku. I don't know. Nothing good can come of that.

I did like the Joss references, of course, and I do appreciate alternative history. So there's that.
John Orman
Aug 02, 2012 John Orman rated it really liked it
This vampire author purportedly came over to the New World on the ship with the Pilgrims.

You know that your drink
Is down to the last few sips
When the toes curl up.

When a mosquito
Pierces my neck and drinks blood
Is that irony?

The newspaper says
A death wish was in his blood.
I didn't taste it.

Prank phone call--
I ask for blood donors,
Then go pick them up.
Stefani
Aug 28, 2014 Stefani rated it really liked it
A fun tale that starts right off with a man being turned into a vampire while coming over on the Mayflower. The periodic entries are dated, most with a tie to a historical event. Older teens and adults who will appreciate the historical references will get the most out of this book, but anyone looking for a quick read on vampires should be satisfied.
Erin
Aug 04, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
Received this as a gift from my new friends, Ben and Erin Vore. I was fascinated by Ben's copy, and the author is a friend of Ben's so he gave me his copy. Now I'll go order ZOMBIE HAIKU. My favorite:

She explains to me
that wood through my heart will kill.
I don't think that's new.

Great fun!
Maria Kelly
May 09, 2012 Maria Kelly rated it really liked it
A quick and entertaining little read and an interesting concept: a vampire telling three centuries of his life story through a haiku journal. Funny, weird, and a little sad, too, with drawings and photos (and splatter!) to accompany the text. If you've got an hour or two to kill, you could zip through this book. Better than reading Twilight.
Erica
May 17, 2016 Erica rated it really liked it
This was well written and surprisingly very story like. I enjoyed each poem and how they interacted with one another, the characters and how they had real depth even with syllable restrictions, and how the voice throughout was consistent and slow to change to show the actual time differences.
Megan Garrett
Jan 10, 2016 Megan Garrett rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't terrible! It was like a vampire Forest Gump in Haiku. Also, being an obsessive Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan for almost 20 years, I was reduced to a giddy child with all the references.
Tracy
May 30, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
I love this book! So creative & weird.

"Discarded Band-aids
are rare unexpected treats.
My version of gum.

You know that your drink
is down to the last few sips
once the toes curl up."

• The Apprentice's Masterpiece: A Story of Medieval Spain
  • Becoming Billie Holiday
  • Learning to Swim
  • You Are Sloth!
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • Alice in Verse: The Lost Rhymes of Wonderland
  • The Wolf
  • Zombie Versus Fairy Featuring Albinos
  • Slipway Grey
  • Trip Trap

“If this were real life,
Ed would have looked at her neck-
bite, dead, burp, credits.”
20 likes
“Those were not vampires.
If sunlight makes you sparkle,