Start by marking “Crisscross (Repairman Jack, #8)” as Want to Read:
Crisscross (Repairman Jack, #8)

Crisscross (Repairman Jack #8)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  2,666 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Repairman Jack is back! An anonymous mercenary, with no last name and no social security number, Jack has thrilled a veritable army of readers ever since his bestselling debut in The Tomb. Jack can fix any problem, supernatural or otherwise, for a price. Now, in his latest gripping adventure, he takes on two cases at once.

The first involves a nun being blackmailed by someo
Mass Market Paperback, First Mass Market Edition, 500 pages
Published June 2006 by TOR Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Crisscross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crisscross

Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 18, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing
The next (for me) in the Repairman Jack series. I've noted before that this series seemed to start a bit slowly and almost of a different genre. With a touch of horror and some action we get an urban fantasy that's a little different from most others. I've grown to like it.

I'm about to review another F.Paul Wilson novel after this one, and it's getting a lower rating. It's of another and a companion series to this one. If there's a flaw to Mr. Wilson's books it is that he tends to spin his stori
Tom
Jul 27, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it
This one might as well have been called "Jack vs. the Church of Scientology", for as much as Dormentalism isn't Scientology, indeed Scientology is mentioned more than once as a separate entity in Jack's universe, the various charges and character of L. Ron Hubbard's religion seems very similar to the Dormentalists. I am sure this is not accidental.

This was another fun ride for Jack fans, though Jack's being jerked around by a woman with a dog is starting to get old. Jack can't seem to connect th
Cathy Jung
Feb 12, 2015 Cathy Jung rated it it was amazing
Another good book in the Repairman Jack series. I like how each book builds upon the last, and can't wait to read the next one!
Kelly
Have those New Year’s Resolutions being thrown aside? Bathing suits given you heart palpitations? Well my loyal readers, I have found the solution and it is Miraculous! All the sugar and sweets you desire without guilt or regret. What is it you say? Why it’s name is F. Paul Wilson! In one day I found an author that delivers a thrill ride packed with more delicious corruption and gratifying pleasure than any indulgence to date. Here is a guilty pleasure without the shame.

With no knowledge of the
Jason
Nov 28, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
4 Stars

Crisscross, Repairman Jack #8 is another fantastic installment. F. Paul Wilson had created a special series led by a main character in Jack that always walks the line between good and bad. The Repairman Jack series has developed into one of my favorite series out there and I can never seem to get enough. Wilson does an amazing job at making each book work as a standalone while at the same time never neglecting the overall story arc. We the reader now not only know that each book and stor
May 03, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, adventure
F. Paul Wilson published The Tomb in the 1980s, and seemed to fade from the public consciousness, and he went on to finish The Adversary Cycle.

Years later, Wilson experienced a crazy surge of productivity leading to one Repairman Jack book after another.

the books themselves are interesting and exciting, and don't require elements of the supernatural to reel you in ( in fact the biggest drawback for me is how they are all dedicated to the adversary/supernatural plot).

At the same time it is also
Chris
Dec 20, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Repairman Jack fans
Another great entry in the Repairman Jack series. It's amazing how Mr. Wilson can keep this series fresh and interesting. This one started out a bit slow for me. I wasn't very interested in the workings of the Dormentalist church (although it bears a resemblance to Scientology) or their endless acronyms. Once the novel started to build up steam though, I could hardly put it down. This story is a lot meaner than some of the previous books in the series, with some really visceral moments. An overa ...more
Melissa
Feb 27, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Oh, repairman jack..... He's so macho! I struggle to understand his relationship to women, but he's very lady-friendly for an action star, so I let the wanna-be-strong-but-fail-every-time ladies get a pass this time, but this book really brought that element of RJ to light. I guess the first one did too, Gia seemed insufferable, but will wait to read more before I really judge.
Grant Howard
Jan 06, 2014 Grant Howard rated it really liked it
These get darker and darker. I'm still loving them though. In "Crisscross" Jack takes on the "totaly not Scientology" church of Dormentalism and a seedy blackmailer he's dealt with before. One of these fixes is brought to him by an old woman with dog, so as I'm sure you'll have guessed there's more to it than it first appears.
Nick
Aug 30, 2016 Nick rated it it was amazing
Holy shit. This just might be the best Repairman Jack story so far.
Michael T Bradley
Jan 12, 2017 Michael T Bradley rated it liked it
A very mixed bag for me.

Probably the best written, most tightly paced RJ novel Wilson has come out with since Conspiracies, there's a lot to praise about this book. On the other hand, since it mostly spends its time cleaning up some plot threads from previous novels OR setting up stuff yet to come (there's one chapter with Gia specifically where she ALMOST gets run over, and that chapter seems to serve ABSOLUTELY NO PURPOSE, so I'm assuming it's some sort of setup?), this book falls fairly flat
Jadewik
Feb 25, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
If you like to read simply to enjoy yourself and have a little fun, F. Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series is hard to beat. It features Jack, an urban mercenary, or something like that, and a cast of recurring characters that show up in most books. Add to that a science fiction element about a battle between two powers seeking to control the universe, and you end up with a wild set of books. The previous book, "Gateways" was a great deal of fun and featured a bunch of Florida mutants, along w ...more
David Agranoff
This is the 8th Jack and I am writing these reviews as I read them. In many ways this is the novel I have been waiting to read since the start. It is in many ways a crucial turning point in the saga, but what is amazing is just how many of the novels present yet another turning point for the main character. You know Jack is going to survive to fight another day, so Wilson very smartly finds ways to ratchet up the tension for Jack.

I have said it before but Wilson has proven with this series (and
Benjamin Thomas
The Repairman Jack series has become one of my all time favorites and this 8th entry doesn't change that opinion in the slightest. It's very hard to categorize these novels...they are thrillers, and mysteries, and can have some horrific elements as well. And that's not to mention the overall background story-arc that is very cool science fiction. I love the way Mr. Wilson writes, letting the reader really get to know the characters and really feel for their trials and tribulations while at the s ...more
Monique
Jul 28, 2015 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novel starts innocently enough with Jack being hired to stop a blackmailer and find a woman’s missing son. However, everything is not as it appears as the Otherness is actually at force in one of his cases. Although he doesn’t defeat the Otherness he does manage to slow it down.

Jack manages to solve the cases but human lives are lost. However, he manages to avenge them in a very unique way. I can’t say that I saw it coming, I figured he would have just gone on a killing spree.

There was a l
Ensiform
Mar 14, 2012 Ensiform rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Repairman Jack is hired by an elderly woman (with a dog!) to find her “son,” who has joined a strange cult called the Dormentalists. There’s also a subplot involving a nun being blackmailed for an affair. Again, Jack is moved around by forces far beyond human, and again, those who depend on him for help end up dying despite his efforts. It’s another terrific blend of horror and suspense. Indeed, this book is especially satisfying, for this time the villains are only human, working for the Othern ...more
The Cats Mother
I've read too many of these recently - there's a line with long series between boredom with repetition, and remembering enough of the plot to understand what's going on, especially when you don't really love the books.
Here Jack takes on two unrelated cases - a nun being blackmailed by a scumbag PI that Jack has come across before, (there are not supposed to be any more coincidences in his life but this is not really explained) and another old woman with a dog, who asks him to find her son who ha
Jun 19, 2016 David rated it really liked it
Through the first half, I felt as if the novel was a mostly straight forward Repairman Jack novel. It felt very direct, missing some of the intriguing subtleties found in some of the previous novels.

But the second half, when it all hit the fan, truly made the book worth it for me, connecting with previous novels in the Repairman Jack series, and more importantly, in the Adversary Cycle as a whole.

Not everything goes according to plan, and it doesn't go well for everyone, and "Crisscross" is a b
UtahJarhead
Nov 16, 2013 UtahJarhead rated it really liked it
Jack is recovering from his visit to Florida and is barely getting into the swing of things when he's right back in the middle of it. He meets another woman with a dog, but this is just a customer trying to find her son in a church that appears to be a money-scamming cult. His side job is a sweet lady being blackmailed by a former fix of Jack's, Richie Cordova. This book picks up the genre that's almost noir in atmosphere. While there are definitely the typical supernatural undercurrents in the ...more
Michael
Jul 02, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Chad F.
Nov 17, 2011 Chad F. rated it really liked it
After eight books, the character of Repairman Jack has not gotten old. Wilson carefully plans out each story in this series and makes every one of this character's adventures aredifferent. Throughout this series Wilson has fully fledged out the other characters in the story and this is no different. The book itself is an exciting page turner that keeps the reader guessing, no character is safe. Wilson is great at setting up the story and it grabs the reader from page one. It's a very fun and fas ...more
Susan
Sep 06, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Another good thriller/intrigue in the continuing story of Jack's being the reluctant warrior manipulated in fighting the cosmic struggle of power as well as his usual fix it jobs.
Pity Dr. Wilson has to kill off good characters, some could have become good allies in his ongoing struggle fighting this evil, like the enigmatic elderly ladies & their dogs 4 so far, albeit we lost the 3rd partnership in the last book.
A~
Oct 10, 2014 A~ rated it it was amazing
Repairman Jack is helping a nun get out from under the thumb of a blackmailer.
And he is also hired to contact the son of a mother, a mystrious woman with a dog.
The son is in a thinly veiled cult that sounds an awful lot like Scientology.
We find out that Jack is not done with the Trucking Company that owned the truck that put his father in the hospital.
And somehow we end up with both cases under Repairman Jacks belt crossing into each other.
No more coincidences.
Todd
Feb 10, 2015 Todd rated it really liked it
Wilson dials back a little bit on the supernatural in this book, and it's better for it. Nothing against the supernatural, it's just good to touch base with reality now and then too. Along the way he takes quite a few thinly veiled shots at Scientology - although it is a separate entity from Dormentalism in Jack's world, the inner workings are pretty similar. And, you know, that's always fun, because those people are loony.
Aug 24, 2013 David rated it really liked it
The 8th Repairman Jack book took a while to warm up. One of the plot points (a well-connected and potentially dangerous cult) has become one I've grown tired of seeing. In spite of this, F. Paul Wilson manages to take this and another case and have them work against each other. It becomes quite intense in the second half, and a reader of the whole series can feel the stakes rising. Just when I felt like taking a break from this saga, the author keeps it very intriguing.
Carey Gibbons
May 25, 2012 Carey Gibbons rated it really liked it
Wilson takes a few pot shots at Scientology in this installment of Repairman Jack. Jack has to infiltrate the Dormentalist Church, and it's some fucked up shit. I really liked this volume because events are coming together to form a bigger, broader picture. For the first time, Jack's fix-its go horribly wrong. And Gia, Jack's special lady, acts as the proverbial loaded gun on stage. I already have book 9 out from the library and am ready to go.
Adrianne
May 20, 2012 Adrianne rated it it was ok
This cracks me up because a friend recommended this one. As I picked up the cover I thought, "This is odd this doesn't seem like a book she would read." As I continued to read it was different style and I still kept thinking, "Hmmm I wonder that she would recommend this." Come to find out it was not the book that she recommended! ha ha! Now I am more than half way through and just reading this odd book to see what happens.
Betty410
Jul 07, 2011 Betty410 rated it liked it
Repairman Jack is at it again. This time he goes after a blackmailer who has compromising pictures of a nun.
Then he needs to find a woman's son who has disappeared within the "clutches" of the Dormentalist Church--a sect that milks the aspirants of their money. Lots of the usual clever maneuvering and in the final chapters, Jack brings it all together for justice.
Soon he will become a father and the need to finally have an identity is pressing.
Skip
Nov 20, 2011 Skip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, humor
Like the other Repairman Jack novels, he is hired by two different clients for different jobs, which turn out to be related. In one story line, he is hired by a nun to stop a blackmailer Jack already knows. In the other, he is hired to find an aging woman's son, who has joined a cult. It turns out that the cult has ties to the Otherness, and Jack has to defeat their latest gambit to cause the end of days.
  • Casket For Sale: Only Used Once
  • The Two Sams
  • The Midnight Eye Files: The Amulet
  • The Destructor (Lawson the Fixer #3)
  • A Whisper in the Noise
  • Kill Whitey
  • Day of Reckoning (Cascades Concealed #2)
  • Draculas
  • Our Little Secret
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • The Whispering: A haunted house mystery
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • Darkfall
  • Absent Friends
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • The Fall of Never
  • Instruments of Darkness (Bruce Medway, #1)
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Repairman Jack (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1; Adversary Cycle, #2; The Secret History of the World)
  • Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2)
  • Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3)
  • All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)
  • Hosts (Repairman Jack, #5)
  • The Haunted Air (Repairman Jack, #6)
  • Gateways (Repairman Jack, #7)
  • Infernal (Repairman Jack, #9)
  • Harbingers (Repairman Jack, #10)
  • Bloodline (Repairman Jack, #11)