Start by marking “Punisher: War Journal, Vol. 4: Jigsaw” as Want to Read:
Punisher: War Journal, Vol. 4: Jigsaw

Punisher: War Journal, Vol. 4: Jigsaw (Punisher War Journal #4)

2.79 of 5 stars 2.79  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  12 reviews
All the players are assembled. The stage is set. The lights are lowered and a conspiracy, 18 issues in the making, begins. This is it - the ultimate revenge saga as designed and engineered by Punisher's arch-rival, Jigsaw!
Published April 1st 2009 by Marvel (first published December 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Punisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punisher

Sonic
Ugghhhh! I feel conflicted.
This was an easy four star book until the last chapter.
I love the PUNISHER and I dig the writing of Fraction and Remender, but I was bummed out when I saw the art was by Chaykin.
But I got the book for 40% off so I thought what the heck.

I was pleasantly surprised!
The writing was awesome and the art did not put me off, ...
Until the last chapter, where Chaykin's stiff, awkward, and static art all but killed the flow and feel of action.
And after such a sweet build-up the
Eli Poteet
First punisher book I've read, I appreciate the artists skill, I can clearly see its emphasis on late 80s and early 90s themes. If jigsaw is the nemesis of frank castle, then I feel the villain is incredibly lacking.
Martin
Remender's characterisation of Jigsaw (and the other characters, for that matter) was spot-on, and Chaykin's art was... well, Chaykin's art. His style has grown on me over the years but I can understand why some people might not like it. It is at times uneven & rough and the body proportions are sometimes odd as well.

One thing that took me by surprise: Stuart Clarke (the Punisher's sidekick) gets 3 fingers chopped off at the end of the book. Why this surprised me is that in Punisher: In the
Paul
I went into this not knowing what to expect.

I am a fan of Howard Chaykin`s art, heck I was a fan of Chaykin way back in the old days when he was known as little Howie Chaykin, heh.

But I aint never been that big of a fan of the Punisher, his character has never really sat all that well with me, dating way back to his first appearance in Amazing Spider-Man number so and so.

However, I did find myself enjoying this story and liking the art.
Still not a fan of the Punisher, but this was as close to a
Kyle
Story wasn't bad, nothing special. But, I really don't like Howard Chaykin's artwork.
Dan Weiss
Decent story, horrendous art. Distractingly horrendous.
Timo
The Punisher and the Jigsaw go hand in hand in comic history but how badly wrong Fraction/Remender can get the story and I just do not like the stiff art Chaykin produces.
Brad
Matt Fraction has been building up the Jigsaw story and G.W. Bridge's new team since the second volume, but it doesn't really deliver that well. Yeah, Jigsaw ruins Frank Castle's life a little bit, but it's not like he's living for much besides killing bad guys.
The cameos by Rhino and the Wrecking Crew are pretty fun.
Adam
Feb 01, 2010 Adam rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Matt Fraction doesn't write the Punisher well, and Howard Chaykin doesn't draw him particularly well. This story arc has plenty of good bits, but it was stretched out way too long and had too many subplots to hold my interest throughout. Also, the last page was especially confusing, and I have no idea what actually happened.
Dave Hicks
I was a little disappointed with this one. Artwork is not very good. The climactic battle was underwhelming and lacked punisher acting like the punisher. It was just on
Nick
One day, I might like Howard Chaykin's art.

But it is not this day.
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Paulius
Paulius marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Dana
Dana added it
Jul 22, 2015
Dinos
Dinos is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Roman
Roman marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Szava
Szava marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Stephen Smith
Stephen Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art
More about Matt Fraction...

Punisher War Journal (5 books)
  • Civil War: Punisher War Journal
  • Punisher War Journal, Vol. 2: Goin' Out West
  • Punisher War Journal, Vol. 3: Hunter/Hunted
  • Punisher War Journal, Vol. 5: Secret Invasion
Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick (Sex Criminals, #1-5) Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits Sex Criminals #1: Suzie Down in the Quiet Hawkeye, Vol. 3: L.A. Woman