Start by marking “Spider-Man: Kraven's First Hunt” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: Kraven's First Hunt

Spider-Man: Kraven's First Hunt (The Amazing Spider-Man #19)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  428 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Her name is Kraven. She's Spider-Man's newest & most terrifying nemesis - & she's just discovered his secret identity! With an army of villains at her command, even with the help of Daredevil, can Spidey protect his secret from his new foe?
Published April 29th 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Michael
Nov 07, 2015 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
Man sollte nie vergessen, wie subjektiv eine Review ist und wie sich die eigene Bewertung verändern kann, darum unten in Klammern meine alte Bewertung.
Als ich diesen Band vor einiger Zeit lesen wollte, hat er mir überhaupt nicht gefallen. Das hatte vor allem damit zu tun, dass ich mich noch überhaupt nicht mit der aktuellen Entwicklung von Spidey beschäftigt hatte.
Jetzt, beim Wiederlesen, und nachdem ich inzwischen einige aktuellere Sachen gelesen habe, finde ich KRAVENS FIRST HUNT ganz unterhal
Marko
Sep 28, 2014 Marko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With a title like Kraven's First Hunt - hearkening back to the very memorable Kraven's First Hunt - you'd expect a great story. Unfortunately, what you get is a pretty simple main plot with a villain kidnapping the wrong guy thinking that he's Spider-man. The side plots are very slightly more interesting, though, detailing Peter Parker's relationship with his new room mate. It is unfortunate that this relationship treads the familiar ground of the room mate hating Spider-Man. We've seen that one ...more
Μιχάλης
Kinda fun return to Kraven's Last Hunt, doesn't stand a chance next to that classic story
Mike
Feb 04, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This trade collects Amazing Spider-Man issues # 564-567 and material from Spider-Man: Brand New Day - Extra!!!.

The first issue is a quick stand alone story told three times - by Spider-Man, Peter Parker's cop roommate Vin, and the villain Overdrive. Each has his own take on the day's events. Decent enough.

The next three form the titular "Kraven's First Hunt." A young woman has taken the name of one of Spider-Man's most deadly foes, and is as determined to make the wall crawler a personal trophy
Matt Anderson
Collects Amazing Spider-Man issues #564-567 and material from Spider-Man: Brand New Day - Extra! #1

This volume focuses on the complicated relationship between Peter and his new roommate Vin (a guy who happens to be a police officer that hates Spider-Man).

Daredevil gets drawn into the action, and a new villain faces off against Spidey in a storyline that mirrors the classic, "Kraven's Last Hunt."

Overall this was a fun read.
Brad
Nov 16, 2009 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
There's a new Kraven related to the old (dead) Kraven, but you barely learn anything about her. This story's more about Peter Parker (and Spider-Man)'s strained relationship with his roommate Vic. Kraven captures Vic, which only makes matters worse. Except for a few missteps (like bringing in Vermin to add onto the Kraven's Last Hunt homage), this is a good continuation of the Brand New Day saga. There are nice variation on the old tropes of a mistaken secret identity, Peter losing his costume, ...more
Brent
Jun 02, 2014 Brent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Spider-Man, Marvel Comics, and these fine creators
Recommended to Brent by: Atlanta-Fulton Public Library and these fine creators
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
This was a good salvo from the Spider-team and Spider-office at Marvel, circa 2009. I really like Phil Jimenez' art, and the scripting is above-average here, too. Like a lot of stories, this vamps on a new generation of an old villain, in this case a daughter of the late Kraven the Hunter.
Ok. Recommended.
Fraser Sherman
Feb 19, 2015 Fraser Sherman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm not sure what the point is in not naming the villain here, given the title of the story arc. In any case, Kraven's old daughter is not a chip off the old block: she's a dull killer and the plotline involving mistaken identity isn't as fun as it was meant to be.
John Henery
Apr 04, 2014 John Henery rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed in this one. Having been a fan of Kraven the Hunter I figured they would have done a better story for the introduction of his daughter. Instead I get a case of mistaken identity and Vermin...
DavidO
Jul 16, 2014 DavidO rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe the villain introduced in this story will be better in later volumes. She didn't really hold up to her promise here.
Jacob
Nov 09, 2015 Jacob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Really Spider-Man only has one costume?
His costume gets shredded in a fight and it's pristine again by the next day, but stick it on his roommate and Spidey has to go borrow one of Daredevil's costumes... (Who apparently not only has extra's but keeps one with eyeholes for some reason)
Also really, the best reason you could come up with for Vin getting abducted was "I set you up as a decoy"? Really?

*Edit* Having recently reread Brand New Day vol.2 I see why Spidey only had one costume left. Thoug
I'm a bit lukewarm on this one. It was a good but not great Spiderman story, I'm just not sure that it was a good successor to Kraven's Last Hunt. There were a lot of unanswered questions in the end and while having the plot with Officer Gonzales being mistaken for Spiderman and their subsequent confrontation in the hospital were great, that all could have been done just as well without the Kraven connection. The parts with Vermin felt tacked on and while I'm left wanting to know more about what ...more
Tim
May 16, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The super hero with human problems. Some beautiful images in the art work.
Stolt-man
Apr 19, 2015 Stolt-man rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one a lot. I really like the art by Phil Jimenez.
Amiee
Jun 23, 2014 Amiee rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!
Mike
Mar 08, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trademark Spidey wit? Check. Getting his life stuffed up something fierce - and that of those around him too? Check. Crossover with another superhero? Check. Weird, strong, fast-fighting villain? Double check.

Yes, this was a fun ride, and perhaps will build to something more in the future. For now it was a popcorn session, not entirely forgettable - it's a well-written and well-drawn tale - but it's just another good Spidey tale in a long history of them.
Eric Mikols
Jun 23, 2012 Eric Mikols rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spider-man
Not that great. I was excited to read this since it was the first Spider-Man volume after Brand New Day, but it doesn't really do it. I know they're trying to make new villains, but Kraven wasn't cool because of his concept, but because he was a fun and crazy character. A hunter chasing Spider-Man isn't fun unless the hunter has some semblance of a personality, which the one does not. It was interesting, but a miss fire.
Sean
Dec 26, 2012 Sean rated it liked it
Sorry but if you're going to title a trade "Kraven's First Hunt" it better be as damn near spectacular as its predecessor, "Kraven's Last Hunt". This fell far short but does tease for future stories. One issue is that the main story is only three chapters and seems like more would have suited it better. Also, the cover isn't based on the main sequence but a somewhat throw away issue. Somewhat disappointing.
Ernest
Nov 10, 2011 Ernest rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a very enjoyable read. This was no so much a story about (the new) Kraven but a story featuring the issue of identity and how this plays out in Spider-Man’s life. Unexpectedly, this leads to fight scenes but here I got a sense of regret amongst it. With good art and a solid story, this volume was a surprisingly enjoyable read from an increasingly jaded reader.
Leah
Aug 05, 2011 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great art, storyline lacking. The plot was dull and nothing much happened. There was a good twist at the end, but it was rather obvious from the beginning of the volume. Definitely not one of the best Spider-stories written, but it was okay. In the aftermath of the One More Day story, Spider-Man seems to be lacking something it needs to keep it's main audience hooked.
Drew Lawrence
Sep 10, 2012 Drew Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up used at my LCS. A pretty fun read setting up Spidey's new baddie. I'm still catching up but I get the feeling that this volume ties in with The Gauntlet/Grim Hunt. I don't like the art style on Daredevil. No sir.
John
May 08, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This storyline just couldn't balance being kind of dark itch how ridiculously lighthearted Brand New Day is. Seriously, the previous I involved a villain who uses nanites to trick out cars for goodness sake.
Matt Chic
May 14, 2009 Matt Chic rated it it was ok
Story's ok guess, but I really don't like any of the art in this one. Even Bachalo's cover art is only ok. Could skip this one, and not really be missing out. Kraven's daughter and wife are alive. There you go.
Cristian Marrero
I wish I could of like this more. The fact is that I don't like this spin on spider man being a comedian and a one-liner. Creative to involve different characters and the set the future stage for Kraven.
Steven Pilling
Poorish spider man

Tricksy and repetetive and stealing a page and it was just a page of Millers daredevil run where kingpin strips him of everything.

Art is fresh and well its average spiderman
Shannon Appelcline
Guggenheim's writing is top-rate in this volume, with great new characters, great characterization, and a good plot. The last issue punch 'em up weakens it slightly, but it's still a strong offering.
Jay Bullman
I liked this but didn't love it. The art was great but I wasn't digging the story as much as some of the others from this run that I have read. It is still well worth the time.
Timo
Jul 14, 2013 Timo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Pretty damn decent way to update an old (dead) enemy and not to bring the old one back. Nice one.
Also, a very nice twist in the story, Spider going strong.
Andy
Apr 27, 2009 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, spider-man
A nice story, interesting villain and set up and nice to see Vermin used well. Still liking where they're going with this.
Oliver
Apr 03, 2013 Oliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent art and some nice tiwsts in the plot keep this from slipping into a mediocre comic.
  • Spider-Man: Red-Headed Stranger
  • Spider-Man: One Moment in Time
  • Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search for the Sorcerer Supreme
  • Wolverine: The Reckoning

The Amazing Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home