Start by marking “Stacey's Mistake (The Baby-Sitters Club, #18)” as Want to Read:
Stacey's Mistake (The Baby-Sitters Club, #18)

Stacey's Mistake (The Baby-Sitters Club #18)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  2,775 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Stacey's so excited! She's invited her friends from the Baby-sitters Club down to New York City for a long weekend. It's going to be perfect - a party and a sleepover on Friday night, a big baby-sitting job on Saturday, and lots of sight seeing on Sunday.

But what a mistake! The Baby-sitters are way out of place in the big city. Mary Anne sounds like a walking guide book; D
Published October 1st 1996 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Stacey's Mistake, please sign up.

Pride What problem in New York the book talked about is Stacey's friends going to visit her in New York.But Stacey thought it was a mistake!Mary Anne…moreWhat problem in New York the book talked about is Stacey's friends going to visit her in New York.But Stacey thought it was a mistake!Mary Anne sounded like a walking guide;Dawn's afraid of everything;Kristy is chatty;and Claudia jealous of Stacey's friends.That is the main problem in New York the book talked about.(less)

Ciara
this probably isn't really a two-star book, but i am marking it down due to the conceit of the premise: stacey is living on the upper west side of new york city with her parents. they live in a fancy apartment building with a doorman. a homeless woman lives on the street outside their building. her name is judy. sometimes she's friendly & nice & calls stacey "missy" (stacey says this like it's a nice thing, but it makes my skin scrawl that this 40-something homeless woman would use a ter ...more
Justina
Dec 01, 2012 Justina rated it liked it
Ugh, I don't know why I like Stacey when I was younger because she is so obnoxious. Everything she said and did in this novel annoyed me. Yes, we get it, you're a rich, spoiled white girl living in New York City. No need to shove your pretentiousness down our throats or make it so obvious you think you are better than your less "sophisticated" friends.
Shira
Jan 29, 2016 Shira rated it liked it
stacey invites the eighth-grade members of the bsc to new york to baby-sit a big group of kids in her building (while their parents attend a meeting to discuss how to support the neighborhood's homeless population, and this subject brings up a lot of good moments in the book). stacey gets super embarrassed by the bsc members' towny qualities, and the bsc members don't get along with stacey's big city friends (and even end up fighting amongst themselves). then they all learn some lessons. the end ...more
Laura Hughes
Jul 15, 2014 Laura Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babysitters-club
Stacey is embarrassed by her BSC friends when they visit her in GlAmOrOuS New York City.

Knowing that a lot of kids will need babysitters when her building holds a meeting of the homelessness task force, Stacey invites the (senior) BSC to visit for a weekend of sitting and sightseeing.

The trip is a disaster from the start. The Stoneybrook girls embarrass Stacey by acting "touristy." Stacey throws a party to get her sets of friends to mix, but the Stoneybrook friends alienate the New York friends
lisa
Aug 31, 2016 lisa rated it liked it
Stacey shows off her hometown of NYC to her BSC friends, who all act like idiots, for a variety of reasons. I think this book was supposed to be the first of the series that had Stacey's own adventures in baby sitting, a sort of spin off series that never spun anywhere.

Things I remember from reading this as a kid:
Nothing. The story seems familiar, but I realized that I was mixing up my memories of the super special New York, New York! and Welcome back, Stacey! I know I must have read this book,
Julie Decker
Jul 08, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was ok
Stacey, now living in New York City (her old hometown), has an opportunity to see her Stoneybrook friends again: all the parents in her neighborhood are having a meeting on the same night, and there's no better group to watch them all than the BSC. The Stoneybrook gang gets to see New York and meet Stacey's best friend, Laine, but their lack of worldliness is embarrassing to Stacey and she's worried about strained relationships. Can the group still do what they do best despite their differences? ...more
Allison Floyd
How does Stacey the Sophisticate handle the NYC onslaught of the Stoneybrook bumpkins? With characteristic grace and aplomb, of course (she actually is pretty nice in this one)!

Boys, parties, and crazy fashion! Oh yes, and babysitting!
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, bsc
Whoa, as much as I don't like Stacey, Laine is even more awful! This one was funny, seeing how differently they all acted in the big city. By the way, a bunch of (small-town) thirteen-year-olds running around on their own in NYC? Suuuure.
Lisa
Mar 21, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
Oh stacey. You are so dull..
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

Though I was always a huge fan of Stacey when I was a child, this is one of those books that clearly showed some of her faults. For one, Stacey is a bit of a snob. Her being from New York has given her a false sense of superiority over the other girls of the BSC. Of course, it wasn't as present in Connecticut, where she was out of her element. But the moment the girls show up in the Big Apple, Stacey's inner snob comes out as she's absolutely mor
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was ok
Even though I read this as a kid, I thought the premise for this one was silly. In New York City, where Stacey now lives away from her friends, a bunch of people from her neighborhood are all going to a meeting so they can discuss stuff about homeless people, and therefore . . . surprise! They all suddenly need babysitters! Sounds like a great excuse to invite four girls from another state to come babysit all the kids, right? (Well, it's a plot coupon, I guess.)

The details that stuck with me wer
Maria
May 27, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Natalí
Mar 10, 2013 Natalí rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, oldie, bsc
We thought Stacey had left us for a while... well, not, she makes us readers (and the BSC 13-year-old members) to New York), where she acts pretty snobby with her friends. In her benefit, her friends act really weird when thy aren't home. Highlights were Kristy flirting with a boy, just to be blocked by Claudia and Mary Anne badmouthing Dawn. That was quite out of character :S But these little episodes were actually interesting because the girls seemed more human. It kind of leaves us sad that S ...more
Aditi Warrier
Jul 14, 2015 Aditi Warrier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of boring at the start... Otherwise just great.
April
Mar 16, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Athalia Stoneback
Aug 18, 2012 Athalia Stoneback rated it it was amazing
When I was little, I loved the Baby-Sitters club books. Now as an adult, I give this book five stars more because it's the most realistic portrayal of thirteen-year-old girls than any other of the books. That is, the girls act like typical teenagers, which doesn't always make them likeable, but it does keep the book entertaining.
Delicious Strawberry
Nov 14, 2012 Delicious Strawberry rated it really liked it
Shelves: ann-m-martin
Stacey is excited to have her friends visit her in New York City. Basically they act line n00bs since they haven't been to New York, and Stacey's New York friends look down at them, so Stacey has to decide what is important about her friendships. A very good look at friendships and relationships.
Melissa
May 16, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth
I wish I could write adequate reviews for this series, because I loved it when I read them. However, it was so long ago, and I was so young, only 10-12 years old, that I do not remember much.

Unfortunately, nothing sticks out in my memory about this particular instalment.
10-11 Karrin
Dec 26, 2010 10-11 Karrin rated it liked it
Oh my goodness! I really do wish I were in one of THESE characters shoes! Living in New York, and getting to spend a weekend with ALL your friends when they come out to visit....... but, nobody seems to be getting along like they used to. What would you do?
Tara Calaby
Sep 10, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
I was already a bit too old by the time the Babysitters Club books started appearing in our school book club options, but I enjoyed the early books in the series nonetheless.
Erin
Nov 16, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
So glad that Ann. M. Martin didn't make us wait too long before Stacey's return. Unfortunately, her friends visit to NYC doesn't go that great. Can the girls still be friends?
Rachael Mcclain
Aug 03, 2010 Rachael Mcclain rated it liked it
I loved all of these books when I was a young girl! My Aunt Ann made sure that I had all of them I could get my hands on... They are great reading for all young girls!
Jun 19, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Overly dramatic tale of the rivalry between Stacey's New York friends and her baby-sitting buddies. Hmmmm, wonder if all will become pals before page 148...
Sarah Smith
Apr 15, 2013 Sarah Smith rated it liked it
I loved the series as a kid. I never read them in order because the library didn't have all of them. I think my favs were the Super Specials.
Jenn
Oct 11, 2011 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc
Maria Elmvang
Wow, they're all really obnoxious in this book! I loved reading about New York now that I've actually been there though! :)
Rhiannon1220
Aug 06, 2008 Rhiannon1220 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-as-a-kid
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Anna Motteler
Aug 31, 2008 Anna Motteler rated it liked it
These books were my favorite when I was growing up. I still have all of the babysitters club series.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2015 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-collection
This is not one of my favorites.
The behavior of all the characters confused and annoyed me.
Rylee
Oct 10, 2012 Rylee rated it it was amazing
I love Stacey and her clothes but I definitely think she has made a big mistake!
  • April Fool! (Sweet Valley Twins, #28)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)