Start by marking “Stacey's Mistake (The Baby-Sitters Club, #18)” as Want to Read:
Stacey's Mistake (The Baby-Sitters Club, #18)

Stacey's Mistake (The Baby-Sitters Club #18)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  2,398 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The baby-sitters visit to Stacey in New York City turns out to be a big mistake-- they're way out of place there, and Stacey wonders if they will be friends anymore.
Published September 1st 1996 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1988)

Ciara
this probably isn't really a two-star book, but i am marking it down due to the conceit of the premise: stacey is living on the upper west side of new york city with her parents. they live in a fancy apartment building with a doorman. a homeless woman lives on the street outside their building. her name is judy. sometimes she's friendly & nice & calls stacey "missy" (stacey says this like it's a nice thing, but it makes my skin scrawl that this 40-something homeless woman would use a ter ...more
Justina
Ugh, I don't know why I like Stacey when I was younger because she is so obnoxious. Everything she said and did in this novel annoyed me. Yes, we get it, you're a rich, spoiled white girl living in New York City. No need to shove your pretentiousness down our throats or make it so obvious you think you are better than your less "sophisticated" friends.
Laura Hughes
Stacey is embarrassed by her BSC friends when they visit her in GlAmOrOuS New York City.

Knowing that a lot of kids will need babysitters when her building holds a meeting of the homelessness task force, Stacey invites the (senior) BSC to visit for a weekend of sitting and sightseeing.

The trip is a disaster from the start. The Stoneybrook girls embarrass Stacey by acting "touristy." Stacey throws a party to get her sets of friends to mix, but the Stoneybrook friends alienate the New York friends
Lisa
Oh stacey. You are so dull..
Julie Decker
Stacey, now living in New York City (her old hometown), has an opportunity to see her Stoneybrook friends again: all the parents in her neighborhood are having a meeting on the same night, and there's no better group to watch them all than the BSC. The Stoneybrook gang gets to see New York and meet Stacey's best friend, Laine, but their lack of worldliness is embarrassing to Stacey and she's worried about strained relationships. Can the group still do what they do best despite their differences? ...more
Allison Floyd
How does Stacey the Sophisticate handle the NYC onslaught of the Stoneybrook bumpkins? With characteristic grace and aplomb, of course (she actually is pretty nice in this one)!

Boys, parties, and crazy fashion! Oh yes, and babysitting!
Sally
Whoa, as much as I don't like Stacey, Laine is even more awful! This one was funny, seeing how differently they all acted in the big city. By the way, a bunch of (small-town) thirteen-year-olds running around on their own in NYC? Suuuure.
Swankivy
Even though I read this as a kid, I thought the premise for this one was silly. In New York City, where Stacey now lives away from her friends, a bunch of people from her neighborhood are all going to a meeting so they can discuss stuff about homeless people, and therefore . . . surprise! They all suddenly need babysitters! Sounds like a great excuse to invite four girls from another state to come babysit all the kids, right? (Well, it's a plot coupon, I guess.)

The details that stuck with me wer
Natalí
We thought Stacey had left us for a while... well, not, she makes us readers (and the BSC 13-year-old members) to New York), where she acts pretty snobby with her friends. In her benefit, her friends act really weird when thy aren't home. Highlights were Kristy flirting with a boy, just to be blocked by Claudia and Mary Anne badmouthing Dawn. That was quite out of character :S But these little episodes were actually interesting because the girls seemed more human. It kind of leaves us sad that S ...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Athalia Stoneback
When I was little, I loved the Baby-Sitters club books. Now as an adult, I give this book five stars more because it's the most realistic portrayal of thirteen-year-old girls than any other of the books. That is, the girls act like typical teenagers, which doesn't always make them likeable, but it does keep the book entertaining.
Delicious Strawberry
Stacey is excited to have her friends visit her in New York City. Basically they act line n00bs since they haven't been to New York, and Stacey's New York friends look down at them, so Stacey has to decide what is important about her friendships. A very good look at friendships and relationships.
Melissa
I wish I could write adequate reviews for this series, because I loved it when I read them. However, it was so long ago, and I was so young, only 10-12 years old, that I do not remember much.

Unfortunately, nothing sticks out in my memory about this particular instalment.
10-11 Karrin
Oh my goodness! I really do wish I were in one of THESE characters shoes! Living in New York, and getting to spend a weekend with ALL your friends when they come out to visit....... but, nobody seems to be getting along like they used to. What would you do?
Erin
So glad that Ann. M. Martin didn't make us wait too long before Stacey's return. Unfortunately, her friends visit to NYC doesn't go that great. Can the girls still be friends?
Rachael Mcclain
I loved all of these books when I was a young girl! My Aunt Ann made sure that I had all of them I could get my hands on... They are great reading for all young girls!
Overly dramatic tale of the rivalry between Stacey's New York friends and her baby-sitting buddies. Hmmmm, wonder if all will become pals before page 148...
Sarah Smith
I loved the series as a kid. I never read them in order because the library didn't have all of them. I think my favs were the Super Specials.
Maria M. Elmvang
Wow, they're all really obnoxious in this book! I loved reading about New York now that I've actually been there though! :)
Rhiannon1220
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Anna Motteler
These books were my favorite when I was growing up. I still have all of the babysitters club series.
Rylee
I love Stacey and her clothes but I definitely think she has made a big mistake!
Amy Holcomb
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Tarika mittal
i think this book will be good also
  • Teacher's Pet (Sweet Valley Twins #2)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 133 books)
  • The Summer Before (The Baby-Sitters Club, #0.5)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Corner of the Universe A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)