Start by marking “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” as Want to Read:
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (Chicka Chicka)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  103,711 Ratings  ·  2,888 Reviews
Bill Martin Jr and John Archambault's rhythmic chant and Lois Ehlert's exuberant collage illustrations have made Chicka Chicka Boom Boom a read-aloud favorite for twenty years.

To celebrate, here is a special anniversary edition of this quintessential picture book with these exciting new features including completely restored artwork, twenty years of Chicka historical not
Hardcover, Special Anniversary Edition, 40 pages
Published September 22nd 2009 by Beach Lane Books (first published January 1st 1989)

Jason Koivu
* * * Sung & reviewed by my niece and I * * *

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is an alphabet learning book and waaay below my 6-year-old niece's reading level, but we enjoyed the heck out of it anyway!

Letters A through Z climb up a coconut tree. Eventually they fall with a boom, only to begin all over again.

The rhyme scheme in this book makes it excellent for singing. Plus, the words "chicka chicka boom boom" punctuate some of the pages, making for a great chorus. So, I sang the book and my niece pro
Stephanie
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a story about the alphabet letters climbing a coconut tree. The lower-case letters climb up the tree, but the tree bends and the letters fall out. Then capital letters (the older relatives) help the lower-case letters back up into the tree. Each of the lower-case letters gets hurt during the fall from the tree and the book describes each letter’s injury. Then, at night, letter “A” dares the other letters to catch him while he climbs the coconut tree.

Chicka Chicka Boom
Lisa
Jan 14, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this one. I read it to Gabe for the first time today and I can tell he's going to love it too. He was enthralled by the rhythm.
Robyn
Sep 12, 2011 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one that I remembered reading as a kid but before I re read it I couldn't remember what it was about. It was a fun tongue twisting rhyming book that I'm sure any kid would enjoy reading/listening to. The colorful pages and big print make it easy and entertaining to read as well.
Beth
Feb 05, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid
We read this often. It makes Emily smile. :)
Gail Cooke
Jun 22, 2010 Gail Cooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

You're not going to believe this alphabet book - it's bold, bright and beautiful! Brilliant colors fill each polka-dot bordered page as the alphabet begins its adventurous journey to the top of a coconut tree. The rhymes are irresistible and fun to read again and again.

CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM 2010 is the first oversized board book edition, and in this case bigger is definitely better – more eye-popping than ever. Originally published in 1989 this alphabet book has appealed to generations of you
midnightfaerie
Although I see this on many children's lists, and it was in the "Kindergarten box" I borrowed from the library (A whole box you can check out that are picked out a head of time based on a theme, letters, numbers, shapes, etc.), but my kids found it "okay". I'm wondering if maybe it just didn't hold their attention long enough for them to understand the story. It' is a cute concept with nice illustrations, just not one of our favorites.
Mallory Dreiling
I enjoyed this book as a kid. It teachings basic counting principles and now has a song to go with it. A good way to teach kids basic counting skills.
Lia Snegireff
One of my favorite books when I was younger :D
Jasminem
Oct 18, 2012 Jasminem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book CHIKA CHIKA BOOM BOOM by Bill Martin Jr. is a story about the little letters of the alpabet who want to beat eachother to the top of the coconut tree. Will anyone win or will they get hurt trying to get to the top? If you read the book you will know. I liked the colors in this book and it was funny. Whoever likes silly storys should read this book.
Lstirl
Oct 09, 2008 Lstirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun alphabet rhyme when one get's tired of the classic ABC song.

The colors and the artwork are superb in this fun alphabet book. They are simple, bright and a pleasure to look at, which is a must in a picture book. The rhyme is fun and catchy and sure to engage small children. There is even a dramatic, if simple story, as the letters climb and then fall from the tree. The sound effects are fun and really add to the enjoyment.

My only real complaint is the messed up letters. Some of the letters
Krista
This was the first book I heard my children "read" to themselves. The easy rhythm of the words following through the alphabet are very memorable and just plain fun to say. This story lends to dancing and singing and is wonderful for beginning K or preschool. It is a fun way to learn the alphabet as well. It is an alphabet book, very easy to read, with colorful pictures, so I would classify it as a picture book.

The story of this book is the letters of the alphabet meeting at the top of the coconu
Geneva Roberts
Feb 06, 2014 Geneva Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: numbers
This book was colorful which alone was appealing for me but also the "chicka, chicka , boom boom!" rhyme was very catchy and my five year old and two year old sons were having fun repeating it hours after I had read it to them. The book delivers a fun story and lesson on the letters of the alphabet and recognition. This book would be a must have for any classroom for early childhood educators.

extension- have some magnetic letters and either draw a coconut tree or have one put up with magnets an
Catherine
Jun 11, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gun to read alphabet book that was one of Matt's favorites when he was tiny.
Margaret
Oct 29, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Confessions of a Homeschooler
Cute!

Online storytime: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=...

Definitely ruined in the storybook treastury form The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury, but worth it completely on it's on.

Reprinted and/or excerpt included in The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury: Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud.
Ghoover
This was such a fun little book to read this week. I absolutely adore this story and the illustrations that go along with it. My mom used to read this book to me as a little girl and we even had "Hoover family dance moves" that correlated with the "chicka chicka" portions. Overall this story is an exciting and fun free read for children. Definitely geared towards a younger audience, but I think it should be read by or too children as they grow up.
Kiera
Sep 10, 2012 Kiera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is an amazing children's book. This is a rhyming, mystery, alphabet recognizing, and a sing along all in one. When I read this book to my niece's and nephew's they loved it they would chant Chicka Chicka Boom Boom will there be enough room as they anticipated on seeing what was going to happen next. This is a wonderful book to read to children for amusement as well as learning alphabet recognition and to introduce rhyming.
Jessica B
May 06, 2015 Jessica B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful rhyming book that teaches children the alphabet! The characters in this book are the lowercase letters of the alphabet. The story stars off with, “A told b and b told c, I’ll meet you at the top of the coconut tree.” The letters all want to meet each other at the top of the coconut tree! But, it turned out the coconut tree couldn’t hold them all. Down came the coconuts crashing to the ground, “CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM!”. The tree can’t hold the letters anymore. All of the lowercase le ...more
Jackie B. Forman
I read this to my 3 year old nephew. He absolutely LOVES letters. This board book is very colorful and easy to read. I really enjoy that the letters in the story text are all in bold. It made it very easy for my nephew to find the letter and "read" along.

I would have liked the printed text to be a bit bigger so he could follow along better in general. But the illustrated letters are all clear and easy to find. We ended by opening to a page and playing "hide and seek" with the letters. Dude naile
Kelly Ramsey
Jan 20, 2014 Kelly Ramsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming, colors
I remember reading this book in Ms. Murphy class. This was a very fun book about the alphabet rhyme. It had a very repetitive chorus for the children to enjoy saying aloud as you read to them. This book repeats the whole alphabet twice and it makes it really fun with the children when you say the sounds of each alphabet.
This book could be used in the following categorizes counting, rhyming, and learning the alphabet.

LEARNING EXPERIENCE:
When reading this book, explain to you children that when yo
Torrie Wilson
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a silly book that teaches students the alphabet. I believe students love it so much because of all the funny things the letters do in the book. The repetition of "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" gets students to stay attentive throughout the book because they know that part is coming and they can say it with me as I read.
Caroline
I didn't see the plot twist at the end coming.
Tameika King
Summary: The letters of the alphabet race to find room on top of a coconut tree.

I absolutely loved this book. I found the illustrations to be wonderful and a great way to grasp the attention of young children. The book repeats certain phrases which is also great for a young audience because they can read along. I would use this book with a group of pre-schoolers to work on letter recognition.

Isha Barrie
This is one of my most memorable children's books. It's a fantastic way for children to learn their ABC's in a fun, easy manner. The rhyming aspect of the book makes the book entertaining not only for children but also the adults reading the book. Also the illustration of the book may be simple but it gets the job done it allows the child to focus on the words and get into the song of the ABC's.
Nicole
Mar 11, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martin, Bill Jr., & Archanbault, John. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (1989). Illustrated by Louis Ehlert. The alphabet personified, the first three letters arrange to meet at the top of a coconut tree, and the other letters pursue them, wanting to join in. The tree can’t accommodate the entire alphabet – so they all fall out. Then the grown up capital letters come along to help them up. The narrative is told as a rhyme, with plenty of alliteration to help little ones remember sounds. We don’t read ...more
Marybeth Batie
Dec 08, 2014 Marybeth Batie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-l-307
This children's picture book that I would consider an ABC book, is a funny rhyming book for younger children who are beginner readers. The story is about the alphabet letters climbing a coconut tree, only for the coconuts to fall making the Chika Chika, Boom Boom sound. I gave this book 3 stars because I didn't think that it was all that great in that there isn't a clear story line or theme, but rather a fun rhyming book. The themes that may stand out are the ABCs and consequence. One activity t ...more
Julia Brumfield
Mar 29, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, book
This is one of those catchy books that once or twice read will be stuck in your head. And then if anyone ever starts to mention it the book will return in a flash.

Bill Martin, Jr. does a great job in bringing the alphabet to us in a brand-new way that will truly have older children reading along as the follow the daring escapades of the lower case letters as they hurry up the poor coconut tree and the following consequences to come.

The illustrations are just as memorable and brightly colored
Kim
One of our favorites. We had to order a new one since our original was so well loved. This fun book has bright, colorful, simple pictures with very clear letters. No fancy versions in this one. Lower case letters use rhyme and repetition as they climb to the top of the coconut tree. When they all get up, they all fall down. Upper case letters (parents and other relatives) come help the little letters and we are told of each letters' injury.

This is a classic for most classrooms and homes when te
Kandice
Feb 25, 2014 Kandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mackers, easy-reading
This is Mackers' favourite book this season. We're already on our second copy as the first is completely worn out (and only a month old). This book is an excellent resource for teaching lowercase letters.
Ashley Stude
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a fun story that was not only made for the sole purpose of entertainment, its also educational! This colorful book can be a very helpful tool in teaching young children the alpahebet. The book is all about the alphabet all trying to get to the top of the coconut tree. There isnt really a plot, it just kinda comes around full circle with the letter "A" asking the reader to race him to the top of the tree. I always thought this book was kinda strange and I honestly never ...more
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Piggies
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • I Stink!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • LMNO Peas
  • Belly Button Book
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....

Chicka Chicka (8 books)
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Pack: 3 Books (Chicka Chicka Boom Boom; Chicka Chicka 1 2 3; Boom Chicka Rock)
  • Chicka Chicka Box Box!: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom; Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom CD Trio- Set of Three Audio CDs Includes Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Boom Chicka Rock & Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 (Chicka Chicka Boom Boom)
  • BOOM CHICKA ROCK
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Chicka Chicka ABC: with audio recording (Chicka Chicka Book, A)
  • Chicka Chicka Sticka Sticka