Start by marking “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” as Want to Read:
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  89,566 ratings  ·  2,537 reviews
Bill Martin Jr and John Archambault's rhythmic chant and Lois Ehlert's exuberant collage illustrations have made Chicka Chicka Boom Boom a read-aloud favorite for twenty years.

To celebrate, here is a special anniversary edition of this quintessential picture book with these exciting new features including completely restored artwork, twenty years of Chicka historical not
Hardcover, Special Anniversary Edition, 40 pages
Published September 22nd 2009 by Beach Lane Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, please sign up.

Cameron I know the words to the song" chicka chicka boom boom is there anofe room? chicka chicka boom boom"

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a story about the alphabet letters climbing a coconut tree. The lower-case letters climb up the tree, but the tree bends and the letters fall out. Then capital letters (the older relatives) help the lower-case letters back up into the tree. Each of the lower-case letters gets hurt during the fall from the tree and the book describes each letter’s injury. Then, at night, letter “A” dares the other letters to catch him while he climbs the coconut tree.

Chicka Chicka Boom
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one that I remembered reading as a kid but before I re read it I couldn't remember what it was about. It was a fun tongue twisting rhyming book that I'm sure any kid would enjoy reading/listening to. The colorful pages and big print make it easy and entertaining to read as well.
I love this one. I read it to Gabe for the first time today and I can tell he's going to love it too. He was enthralled by the rhythm.
We read this often. It makes Emily smile. :)
Mallory Dreiling
I enjoyed this book as a kid. It teachings basic counting principles and now has a song to go with it. A good way to teach kids basic counting skills.
Lia Snegireff
One of my favorite books when I was younger :D
Gail Cooke

You're not going to believe this alphabet book - it's bold, bright and beautiful! Brilliant colors fill each polka-dot bordered page as the alphabet begins its adventurous journey to the top of a coconut tree. The rhymes are irresistible and fun to read again and again.

CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM 2010 is the first oversized board book edition, and in this case bigger is definitely better – more eye-popping than ever. Originally published in 1989 this alphabet book has appealed to generations of you
Although I see this on many children's lists, and it was in the "Kindergarten box" I borrowed from the library (A whole box you can check out that are picked out a head of time based on a theme, letters, numbers, shapes, etc.), but my kids found it "okay". I'm wondering if maybe it just didn't hold their attention long enough for them to understand the story. It' is a cute concept with nice illustrations, just not one of our favorites.
The book CHIKA CHIKA BOOM BOOM by Bill Martin Jr. is a story about the little letters of the alpabet who want to beat eachother to the top of the coconut tree. Will anyone win or will they get hurt trying to get to the top? If you read the book you will know. I liked the colors in this book and it was funny. Whoever likes silly storys should read this book.
A fun alphabet rhyme when one get's tired of the classic ABC song.

The colors and the artwork are superb in this fun alphabet book. They are simple, bright and a pleasure to look at, which is a must in a picture book. The rhyme is fun and catchy and sure to engage small children. There is even a dramatic, if simple story, as the letters climb and then fall from the tree. The sound effects are fun and really add to the enjoyment.

My only real complaint is the messed up letters. Some of the letters
This was the first book I heard my children "read" to themselves. The easy rhythm of the words following through the alphabet are very memorable and just plain fun to say. This story lends to dancing and singing and is wonderful for beginning K or preschool. It is a fun way to learn the alphabet as well. It is an alphabet book, very easy to read, with colorful pictures, so I would classify it as a picture book.

The story of this book is the letters of the alphabet meeting at the top of the coconu
Geneva Roberts
This book was colorful which alone was appealing for me but also the "chicka, chicka , boom boom!" rhyme was very catchy and my five year old and two year old sons were having fun repeating it hours after I had read it to them. The book delivers a fun story and lesson on the letters of the alphabet and recognition. This book would be a must have for any classroom for early childhood educators.

extension- have some magnetic letters and either draw a coconut tree or have one put up with magnets an
This is a gun to read alphabet book that was one of Matt's favorites when he was tiny.

Online storytime:

Definitely ruined in the storybook treastury form The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury, but worth it completely on it's on.

Reprinted and/or excerpt included in The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury: Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud.
This was such a fun little book to read this week. I absolutely adore this story and the illustrations that go along with it. My mom used to read this book to me as a little girl and we even had "Hoover family dance moves" that correlated with the "chicka chicka" portions. Overall this story is an exciting and fun free read for children. Definitely geared towards a younger audience, but I think it should be read by or too children as they grow up.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is an amazing children's book. This is a rhyming, mystery, alphabet recognizing, and a sing along all in one. When I read this book to my niece's and nephew's they loved it they would chant Chicka Chicka Boom Boom will there be enough room as they anticipated on seeing what was going to happen next. This is a wonderful book to read to children for amusement as well as learning alphabet recognition and to introduce rhyming.
Jessica B
A wonderful rhyming book that teaches children the alphabet! The characters in this book are the lowercase letters of the alphabet. The story stars off with, “A told b and b told c, I’ll meet you at the top of the coconut tree.” The letters all want to meet each other at the top of the coconut tree! But, it turned out the coconut tree couldn’t hold them all. Down came the coconuts crashing to the ground, “CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM!”. The tree can’t hold the letters anymore. All of the lowercase le ...more
Kelly Ramsey
I remember reading this book in Ms. Murphy class. This was a very fun book about the alphabet rhyme. It had a very repetitive chorus for the children to enjoy saying aloud as you read to them. This book repeats the whole alphabet twice and it makes it really fun with the children when you say the sounds of each alphabet.
This book could be used in the following categorizes counting, rhyming, and learning the alphabet.

When reading this book, explain to you children that when yo
Torrie Wilson
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a silly book that teaches students the alphabet. I believe students love it so much because of all the funny things the letters do in the book. The repetition of "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" gets students to stay attentive throughout the book because they know that part is coming and they can say it with me as I read.
Tameika King
Summary: The letters of the alphabet race to find room on top of a coconut tree.

I absolutely loved this book. I found the illustrations to be wonderful and a great way to grasp the attention of young children. The book repeats certain phrases which is also great for a young audience because they can read along. I would use this book with a group of pre-schoolers to work on letter recognition.

Isha Barrie
This is one of my most memorable children's books. It's a fantastic way for children to learn their ABC's in a fun, easy manner. The rhyming aspect of the book makes the book entertaining not only for children but also the adults reading the book. Also the illustration of the book may be simple but it gets the job done it allows the child to focus on the words and get into the song of the ABC's.
Marybeth Batie
This children's picture book that I would consider an ABC book, is a funny rhyming book for younger children who are beginner readers. The story is about the alphabet letters climbing a coconut tree, only for the coconuts to fall making the Chika Chika, Boom Boom sound. I gave this book 3 stars because I didn't think that it was all that great in that there isn't a clear story line or theme, but rather a fun rhyming book. The themes that may stand out are the ABCs and consequence. One activity t ...more
One of our favorites. We had to order a new one since our original was so well loved. This fun book has bright, colorful, simple pictures with very clear letters. No fancy versions in this one. Lower case letters use rhyme and repetition as they climb to the top of the coconut tree. When they all get up, they all fall down. Upper case letters (parents and other relatives) come help the little letters and we are told of each letters' injury.

This is a classic for most classrooms and homes when te
This is Mackers' favourite book this season. We're already on our second copy as the first is completely worn out (and only a month old). This book is an excellent resource for teaching lowercase letters.
Ashley Stude
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a fun story that was not only made for the sole purpose of entertainment, its also educational! This colorful book can be a very helpful tool in teaching young children the alpahebet. The book is all about the alphabet all trying to get to the top of the coconut tree. There isnt really a plot, it just kinda comes around full circle with the letter "A" asking the reader to race him to the top of the tree. I always thought this book was kinda strange and I honestly never ...more
Bianca Arias
Bill Martin Jr., writer of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! This story is a fun filled rhythmic story that teaches young children the alphabet in an exciting way! Each letter is taking its turn to race up the coconut tree when all of a sudden the tree is not able to hold any of them any longer. One by one they go tumbling down and all of the letters get tangled up with one another. Will they be able to untangle themselves and get the alphabet back in order?

This story is filled with fun and simple illust
Alicia Singleton
I really enjoyed this short story. It is a fun way for children to learn the order of the alphabet as well as some rhyming words, instead if the traditional ABC song. It also compared capital letters and lower case letters in a unique way. It called the capital letters the moms, dads, uncles, and aunts, which is a good way for children to remember the difference between them and lower case. Children are usually smaller than their moms, dads, aunts and uncle; and lower case letter are always smal ...more
Cale Knutson
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a perfect book for very young children written by Bill Martin. The illustrations in this book are simply but colorful and helpful in accommodating the words. This books theme is very rhythmic. It is a great tool for teaching young children about the alphabet and with lower and upper case letters. This is a great book for a preschool and kindergarten teacher to have in the classroom since it helps so much with learning how to spell and at the same time learn how to read ...more
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom written by Bill Martin Jr. is a fun, rhyming story that teaches children the alphabet in a fun and exciting way. The letters are all racing up the coconut tree when suddenly the tree cannot hold anymore of them. They go tumbling down and all the letters get tangled up with each other. They have to work towards putting themselves back into order.

This story has simple yet fun illustrations. The pictures are very "block" like. They do not have texture or detailed lines. They
Sultan * Baby Mama Smut-a-teer*
Abc fun!! Will revisit this book when he starts to talk :)
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Book 1 9 Feb 20, 2015 01:38PM
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • Not a Box
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....