Start by marking “Brian Wildsmith's ABC” as Want to Read:
Brian Wildsmith's ABC

Brian Wildsmith's ABC

Brian Wildsmith's books have delighted children for over forty years. His work is know and loved throughout the world for its bright colors and beautiful designs.
Board Books, 32 pages
Published December 1st 1998 by Star Bright Books (first published December 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Brian Wildsmith's ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brian Wildsmith's ABC

Cheryl
Mar 21, 2017 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, ok, I do appreciate the inclusion of both upper and lower-case. And the omission, for clarity and punch, of extra words (such as 'is for'). But I've figured out that I'm just not a fan of Wildsmith's art. You might be, so don't mind my rating.
Karen
Nov 21, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week. He loves it so much, he keeps hiding it under his bed. It will mysteriously appear at our nightly story time.

I love this book because my son can "read" almost all of it. It is the "iguana" that trips him up. And the unicorn, but that's not surprising because we so seldom see a unicorn around here.

The illustrations are sumptuous -- rich, colorful, textured, dimensional and, ever so slightly, psychedelic in an early 1960s sort
Meaghan
Sep 06, 2012 Meaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is I believe from the 1960's, however, it is still to this day a very good ABC book. It uses both the Upper case and lower case letters to spell out words. For instances, elephant and ELEPHANT and then a big picture of a beautiful elephant is on the opposite page. I really like the book for children because it uses different "A is for...and b is for..." than normal ABC books. Like K which in this book is for Kettle, I is for Iguana, and my absolute favorite U is for unicorn! The book a ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
Idiosyncratic ABC book featuring mostly animals.

Boring ABC book. The images are weirdly stylized and possibly oil paintings. Every page is a letter and an image of something that starts with that letter. They are almost all animals, with the bizarre exception of Q, which is a queen (okay, so that's technically an animal) instead of say, a quail. N is a nest of eggs, which is animal-related. V is a violin and X is a xylophone. Everything else is animals. You would think that he could have thought
Cindi
Mar 10, 2012 Cindi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has lasted as a favorite of parents, teachers, and children for generations and it's easy to see why. Each page explodes with color and simple text. On the left page is the word, on the right is the illustration. The word appears twice; once in all capital letters and one in all lowercase letters. The artwork is worthy of hanging in any gallery and if one could bear to take apart this book (gasp!), the pictures would be a perfect addition to a nursery or playroom.

Continue reading on Ex
Cynthia Trueworthy
Brian Wildsmith has truly outdone himself with the colorful illustrations. Brian Wildsmith goes through the alphabet A-Z with a page of capitalized and lowercase words accompanied by an amazing illustration. He uses very challenging words, but children can refer to the picture. 4-6 year love the drawings and the opportunity to identify lowercase and uppercase letters. What sets this ABC book apart is the first letter in the word is highlighted in a different color. That ways students know they a ...more
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love this ABC book. It has a painting of a single object and the word written twice, once capitalized, once small case. The paintings are vibrant, unusual, some realistic, some strange, but always full of life. I love the elephant.
Beverly
May 20, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Kate Greenaway Award
Kelly
Originally published in Great Britain in 1962. Earned the 1963 Kate Greenaway Award (comparable to the Caldecott Medal in the U.S.).
Vicky
Apr 28, 2012 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice pictures for A B C book. My 3 year old can recognize most of the animals.
Nancy
Feb 04, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated ABC book by famed children's book illustrator Brian Wildsmith. It's a simple book with one image per page.
Tiffany
Sep 08, 2010 Tiffany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I really like Wildsmith's painting style and use of colors.
Margo
Jul 31, 2013 Margo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the colors!
Samantha Penrose
Very pretty. I like this one for and older child--one who can easily identify the pictures and letters and learn to read the words.
(the book shows a picture, a letter, and a word)
Amanda Funnell
Jan 18, 2014 Amanda Funnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: word-knowledge
Alphabet

Beautiful illustrations
Bob Wu
Bob Wu rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2017
Pat Power
Pat Power rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Rowan
Rowan rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2010
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Edelind
Edelind rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Roxy
Roxy rated it liked it
May 24, 2011
Angelica
Angelica rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Germán González
Germán González rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2010
Valinda Kimmel
Valinda Kimmel rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
JaneAnn Brown
JaneAnn Brown rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Brian Wildsmith was raised in a small mining village in Yorkshire, England, where, he says, "Everything was grey. There wasn't any colour. It was all up to my imagination. I had to draw in my head..."

He won a scholarship to the Slade School of Fine Art where he studied for three years. For a while he taught music at the Royal Military School of Music, but then gave it up so that he could paint ful
More about Brian Wildsmith...