Start by marking “The Sound of Hope: A True Story of an Adoptee's Quest for Her Origins” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Hope: A True Story of an Adoptee's Quest for Her Origins

The Sound of Hope: A True Story of an Adoptee's Quest for Her Origins

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When children are kept in the dark regarding their origins, nobody wins
Only rarely does a memoir come along that taps into the heart of the human condition. The Sound of Hope is such a story, told by Anne Bauer, an adoptee who cannot pretend that she had another life and another family before being adopted.
Much of Anne's childhood was spent wondering about her other mo...more
Published November 26th 2008 by iUniverse (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Hope

Tommy
Anne Bauer's, The Sound of Hope, kept me wondering and worrying about what was going to happen next. This book is a very fast and enjoyable read. I am not an adopted child and yet she was able to draw me into her story......her true story and made me think. And isn't that what a good book should do. Make us think, not tell us what to think. She has done a wonderful job. I hae never thought about her side of life and how scary and complicated it could be just deciding to try to find your birth mo...more
Cricket
Aug 23, 2009 Cricket marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this one yet, but having given my first son up for adoption unwillingly, I seem to drift to these stories. I pray that one day we are reunited and that he can forgive me for doing something that to this day I regret. I look forward to the day when I can hold him in my arms for the first time and tell him how much I've missed him. I pray for it.
Isabel
“The day I realized I had two mothers, I was cut in half. One mother had had me in her belly and brought me to the special nursery, while this mother I called Mommy took me home from the nursery to live. One half of myself resided here with my family, and the other half was lost, lost to a shadowy woman floating somewhere out there in the world… You see, I’m adopted.”

So begins the compelling memoir of Anne Bauer, born out of wedlock, surrendered to a Catholic adoption agency at just ten days ol...more
Dree
Really 3.5 stars.

This is a hard one to review.

First, the writing--the level of this book seems to be about junior high. Whether it is age appropriate for that age is doubtful, but certainly high schoolers might find this a very good book, especially if it hits close to home.

If I had not received this book through the goodreads first reads program, I might have given up. I did not find it interesting until about page 90--when the author begins her search. The 90 pages before it are about her chi...more
Lynn Grubb
Feb 24, 2014 Lynn Grubb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all adoptees
A Book Review: By Lynn Grubb

THE SOUND OF HOPE: A True Story of an Adoptee’s Quest for Her Origins
(Author: Anne Bauer)

Discovering this wonderful memoir a week before Christmas was the highlight of my holidays. After much anticipation, it arrived at my door three days before Christmas. I couldn’t put it down until I absorbed every delightful nugget of it.

Anne takes you through her childhood and what it is like experiencing one physical reality (her adopted family) while at the same time, living i...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
I loved this story and it was written so well...beautiful memoir!

A story that took me through similar experiences and shared hope as well as encouragement to continue on in my search for roots.

There are so many issues that all adoptee's experience, there is no denying that we are affected for a lifetime. There is hope for healing when we can find out where it is that we came from. A new hope for the future that helps us find our way to our authentic self.

This memoir, like so many about adoption,...more
Elizabeth
You really empathize with this author. I have no experience with the adoption process, but have always been curious, as some of my friends are adopted. I always wondered if they had a desire to find their birth parents. I know I would, I would want to know the whole story, to make me a whole person. Thank you Anne for sharing your story!
Mysti
Whether you or know of someone who is adopted, this book is for you. Especially if you were born in the 50 & 60's where adoption was so secretive. An understanding of how being adopted is not a curse but a journey. How every adoptee acts differently about their origins. A must read for everyone to better understand an adoptee.
Carrie
I enjoyed this book. The details that Anne gives from her childhood are amazing. I have never met anyone directly that has been adopted, so I appreciated the background and all the feelings she shared in the book. This book won’t let you down, and will keep you captivated.
Mie
Way to go, Mrs Anne Bauer. You kept searching for your origins even though your family and friends gave you a very hard time and only thought about them selves. Loved the book because it gave you an insight from all involved. It was not all happiness after all.
Pam
I was interested in this book because my siser had three adopted children -- two boys and a girl., the same as in the book. None of them had the slightest desire to find their birth parents, unlike the main character in this book. Obviously, families were not that well investigated in the 60's as the father acted like a raving maniac, with a touch of OCD, most days. The mother ignored the father's problem, looking the other way when he acted out, and was remiss to work out any problems that aros...more
Elizabeth
Anne writes with courage and clarity about her journey to find her birth parents and establish a relationship with them despite the misgivings of family members on both sides.

This book wrenched my heart. I hurt with Anne during her father’s unstable, chaotic rages and her mother’s “unspoken rule: Don’t talk about it and it won’t exist.” I ached for the loneliness of her journey to find her birth family. I was frustrated by the lack of support and unfair blame, shame and guilt heaped on her not o...more
Michelle Salkeld
Michelle Salkeld marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Lori Carpenter
Lori Carpenter marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
MAFO Read
MAFO Read marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Barb Wild
Barb Wild marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Ellyn
Ellyn marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Hulya
Hulya marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Kathy
Kathy added it
May 24, 2013
Alaa Barrawi
Alaa Barrawi marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Shelly Vendemo
Shelly Vendemo marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Only rarely does a memoir come along that taps into the heart of the human condition. The Sound of Hope is such a story, told by Anne Bauer, an adoptee, who cannot forget that she had another life and another family before being adopted.
More about Anne Bauer...
The Sound of Hope: A True Story of an Adoptee's Quest for her Origins Homestar - excerpt from 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Entry